04 February 2016 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 04 Feb 2016 [PDF]
- Operation Inherent Resolve Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Fewer Fighters in Iraq/Syria as IS Focuses on 'Third Capital' VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Some U.S. officials are heralding new intelligence on the number of Islamic State (IS) fighters as a sign the tide is starting to turn in the battle against the terror group but there are concerns the self-declared caliphate's larger, global strategy remains very well intact.
- US: Slight Decrease in IS Fighters in Iraq, Syria VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- A U.S. defense official says there has been a decrease in the number of Islamic State fighters in Iraq and Syria, while numbers of IS militants in Libya have increased.
- US drone attacks kill 12 in Yemen Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- At least 12 people have been killed in two US drone strikes in Yemen's southern provinces.
- Campbell to SASC: Afghanistan Not a Short-Term Problem AFPS 04 Feb 2016 -- The situation is extremely complex in Afghanistan, but one simple truth is that 2016 cannot be a repeat of 2015, Army Gen. John Campbell told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- US Army Commander: Troop Cuts Would Hurt Afghans' Training VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- The senior U.S. military commander in Afghanistan told Congress on Thursday that training for Afghan forces would be severely constrained if the number of American troops there was cut to 5,500, as President Barack Obama has proposed.
- Pakistan and Afghan Intelligence Chiefs Hold Talks VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Afghanistan's spy chief visited Pakistan Thursday for bilateral talks with his Pakistani counterparts on building mutual trust for effective intelligence sharing and counterterrorism cooperation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Carter Details Proposed 2017 Budget Capability Improvements for Navy AFPS 04 Feb 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter previewed the department's fiscal year 2017 budget request, highlighting for sailors in San Diego the new lethality the budget proposes for ships, submarines, aviation and munitions.
- Carter Lays Out Proposed Marine Corps Budget Investments AFPS 04 Feb 2016 -- Marines are the beating heart of readiness, and the Defense Department's fiscal year 2017 defense budget request would invest in assisting the Marine Corps as it faces potential broad-spectrum threats, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said yesterday at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California, yesterday.
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada DoD 04 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Training squadron 'doubles down' in effort to grow RPA pilot ranks AFNS 04 Feb 2016 -- The 558th Flying Training Squadron ramped up efforts to double the remotely piloted aircraft pilot ranks with the start of its first 24-person class Jan. 11 at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph.
- USS America Recertifies for Search and Rescue NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- USS America (LHA 6) completed a search and rescue (SAR) recertification with the Afloat Training Group (ATG) at Naval Base San Diego from Jan. 22 to Feb. 2.
- Solid Curtain-Citadel Shield 2016 Exercise Sharpens First Responders' Skills NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- The words of Naval Support Activity South Potomac (NSASP) Chief of Police Bob Brooks were still fresh in the minds of exercise participants at Wednesday's Solid Curtain/Citadel Shield security exercise at Naval Support Facility (NSF) Indian Head, Feb. 3.
- SM-6 Testing Displays Missile's Range, Versatility NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- The Navy successfully executed four flight tests of the surface-to-air Standard Missile-6 Block I (SM-6 Blk I) off the Hawaiian coast between Jan. 11 and 22.
- US nuclear secrets dumped in trash can for years Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- The US National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) has slammed a contractor for compromising the country's nuclear secrets by dumping loads of classified documents into unprotected trash cans.
- Antietam, McCampbell Build Relationships at IFR 2016 NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54) and Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS McCampbell (DDG 85) arrived Feb. 4 in India to participate in the nation's International Fleet Review (IFR) 2016.
- Coastal Riverine Squadron 3 Returns From Deployment NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- Sailors assigned to Coastal Riverine Squadron 3 (CRS-3), based out of Naval Outlying Landing Field Imperial Beach, California, returned home, Feb. 2 and 3, following a six-month deployment supporting operations in U.S. Navy Central Command.
- USS Patriot Visits Otaru, Japan NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- USS Patriot (MCM 7) pulled into Otaru, Japan, Feb. 4 for a scheduled port visit.
- NSA Annapolis Water Treatment Plant Fully Operational NNS 04 Feb 2016 -- Naval Support Activity (NSA) Annapolis held a ribbon cutting and open house for the U. S. Naval Academy Water Treatment Plant in Annapolis, Md., Feb. 3.
- In Philippines, Mixed Feelings About Greater US Military Presence VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- In the tiny coastal Philippine town of Bahile in Palawan province, fishermen drop off the night's catch with the local fish distributor.
- US Vice-Ambassador Explains Why Poland Won't Be Getting New NATO Bases Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Despite the Pentagon's announcement that it has plans to quadruple its spending in Europe to contain an 'aggressive' Russia, Poland won't be getting new permanent NATO bases, according to US Deputy Ambassador to Poland John C. Law.
- Russian Navy Commanders to Discuss Future of Military Shipbuilding Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Navy's deputy commander-in-chief f said that Russian Navy high command and representatives of leading shipbuilding enterprises will discuss the outlook for submarine and above-water shipbuilding during a conference in Saint Petersburg.
- Top Gun 2016: Russia's Super-Advanced Fighter Jet Enters Service This Year Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Russia has developed a fifth generation fighter jet, the T-50, which is due to enter service by the year-end and will be equipped with a brand-new aircraft cruise missile, media reports said.
- New Russian Submarines to Embody 'Best Features' of Predecessors Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- The Russian submarines to be built over the next 20-30 years will embody the 'best features' of their predecessors, the Russian Navy said Thursday.
- Turkey breaches aviation treaty by blocking Russian surveillance aircraft: Moscow Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Russia says Turkey has breached the Open Skies Treaty by refusing to allow a Russian surveillance aircraft to overfly its territory near Syria.
- Turkey Considers Expanding Fleet of Surveillance Jets Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Turkey's military is considering the purchase of two additional airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) airplanes from the United States in a response to increased tensions in the region, according to a media report on Thursday.
- Russian-Indian Missile to BeTest Fired From Su-30MKI Jet Before End 2016 Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- A supersonic BrahMos cruise missile will be tested from a Su-30MKI fighter jet for the first time in the second half of 2016.
- Indian Air Force to Spend Up to $22Mln on Security Across 54 Bases Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- The Indian Air Force will spend the equivalent of up to $22.1 million to ensure security at its bases after an attack on one near the Pakistani border, Indian media quoted a senior air force official involved in the process as saying Thursday.
- Belarus Concludes Preliminary Purchase Agreement for Russian Su-30 Fighters Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Russia-made Sukhoi Su-30 multirole fighters will replace outdated Mikoyan MiG-29 fighters in the Belarusian Air Froces, according to Belarus deputy defense minister.
- Experts Doubtful About North Korea's ICBM Capability VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- When North Korea notified international organizations of its plan to launch a long-range rocket this month, it said the move is part of its 'space development program.'
- Iran to enhance missile capabilities despite resolutions: Army cmdr. Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Commander of Iran's Army Major General Ataollah Salehi says the country will enhance its missile capabilities despite US-led efforts to curb them.
- Iran to Continue Development of Missile Program - Armed Forces Commander Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Armed Forces Commander said that Iran will continue to develop its missile program since it does not violate the agreement on the country's nuclear program.
- Iran Seeks to Buy New Russian Weapons - Adviser to Supreme Leader Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Iran wishes to acquire new Russian weapons, and the defense cooperation between the two countries is developing, adviser to Iran's supreme leader Ali Akbar Velayati said Thursday.
- Special troops to help keep China-Pakistan corridor safe People's Daily 04 Feb 2016 -- Islamabad will set up a special force of approximately 10,000 troops to protect Chinese people and enterprises along the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, a visiting senior Pakistani diplomat said on Wednesday.
- Get Lost, GPS: China Plans Launch of 40 Beidou Navigation Satellites Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- China is planning to launch approximately 40 Beidou navigation satellites over the next five years, Xinhua reported.
- Japan to Move Patriot Missile Systems in Response to N Korea Rocket Launch Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Japan began redeploying its Patriot missile systems to the southernmost archipelago of Sakishima from the Maritime Self-Defense Force (MSDF) in Hiroshima to prepare for North Korea's announced satellite launch, Japanese media reported Thursday.
- February 4, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 2/4/2016 The White House 04 Feb 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for February 04, 2016
- Russian, German, Spanish Subs Compatible With BrahMos Missiles Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- The BrahMos cruise missiles, made jointly by India and Russia, are compatible with modern submarines produced in Russia, Germany, and Spain, CEO of BrahMos Aerospace Sudhir Kumar Mishra said Thursday.
- 4 February 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Feb 2016
- Yemeni forces destroy 4 Saudi military boats Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have destroyed four Saudi military boats in the country's southwestern waters in retaliation to the relentless Saudi bombardment of the impoverished nation.
- Saudi says ready to deploy ground troops in Syria Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has voiced readiness to participate in any ground operations in Syria if the US-led coalition allegedly targeting terrorists decides to start such operations.
- Saudis Say They May Send Ground Troops To Syria Against IS RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said on February 4 that the government of Saudi Arabia has indicated it is willing to do more in the fight against Islamic State (IS) militants.
- Background Briefing Previewing the Syria Donors Conference US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2016
- New U.S. Assistance to Respond to Syria Crisis US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2016 -- Secretary Kerry announced today that the United States is providing nearly $601 million in additional life-saving humanitarian assistance for those affected by the war in Syria. This new funding brings U.S. humanitarian assistance in response to this conflict to more than $5.1 billion since the start of the crisis. Secretary Kerry also announced more than $290 million in U.S. development assistance for education to Jordan and Lebanon.
- Remarks With U.K. Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Remarks at the Syria Donors Conference US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Record $10 billion pledged in humanitarian aid for Syria at UN co-hosted conference in London UN News 04 Feb 2016 -- An international conference on war-torn Syria in London today pledged a record $10 billion after United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon laid out three main objectives: raising $7 billion in immediate humanitarian aid, mustering long-term support, and protecting civilians.
- $10B Aid Pledge for Syria Overshadowed by Upsurge in Fighting VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- World leaders meeting in London have pledged $10 billion in humanitarian relief, jobs and education to people fleeing the war in Syria. Optimism over the outcome of the conference, however, has been overshadowed by intense fighting around the rebel-held city of Aleppo.
- Leaders Pledge Billions for Syrian Refugees VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has pledged nearly $1 billion in new U.S. aid for Syrian refugees at an international donors conference and is calling for the Syrian government and Russia to halt attacks on rebel-held areas in order to let humanitarian aid through.
- Assad Regime Advances in Northern Syria VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian civil war appears to have entered a new and perilous phase for rebels battling to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
- Turkey preparing for military action in Syria: Russia Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry spokesman says Moscow has serious grounds to suspect Turkey of preparing for a military incursion into Syria.
- UN chief urges Syria warring sides to negotiate Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called on Syria's warring sides to resume dialog after the suspension of the UN-brokered peace talks between the parties.
- Kerry demands Russia halt bombing campaign in Syria Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has demanded that Russia halt its bombing campaign in Syria, implicitly blaming Moscow for the collapse in the UN-sponsored peace talks.
- Russia regrets suspension of Syria peace talks Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Russia says it regrets the suspension of Syrian peace talks, expressing hope that the negotiations could continue.
- Militant rocket attacks leave 17 dead, dozens hurt in Dera'a Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- More than a dozen people have been killed and scores of others injured in rocket attacks by foreign-backed Takfiri militants on residential areas in the Syrian city of Dara'a.
- Kerry Warns Russia To Halt Syria Bombing After Peace Talks End RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has warned Moscow to halt its bombing of Syrian rebel groups, after UN-mediated peace talks between Damascus and the opposition broke down in Geneva.
- Russian Military Adviser 'Killed By IS Fire' In Syria RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- A Russian military adviser was killed by mortar fire in Syria on February 1, the Russian Defense Ministry has said.
- Turkey Planning Military Invasion in Syria - Russian Defense Ministry Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- What is happening on the Turkish-Syrian border gives grounds to think that Turkey is preparing a military invasion in Syria, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.
- At London conference on Syria, UN chief calls for access for aid, protection for civilians UN News 04 Feb 2016 -- Heads of State and Government met in London today at an international conference on Syria, with United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon laying out three main objectives: raising $7 billion in immediate humanitarian aid, mustering long-term support, and protecting civilians.
- U.S., France Charge Russia, Syria With 'Torpedoing' Peace Talks RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- The United States and France charged Russia and the Syrian regime with stymieing peace negotiations with an unrelenting campaign to retake opposition-held territory even during the talks.
- Serbia Wants Clarification Following Turkish 'Sniper' Report VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Serbia is demanding "clarification" from Turkey after pro-government media outlets reported that a "rented" Serbian sniper fighting for the Kurdish PKK rebels had been killed by Turkish security teams.
- Turkish warplanes bomb northern Iraqi village Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Turkish fighter jets have bombarded a village in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, as Ankara continues with its operation against militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- Daesh big guns moving to Libya, intelligence official says Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Top commanders of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group are increasingly moving from Syria and Iraq to Libya, making the crisis-stricken country their safe haven, says a Libyan intelligence official.
- Ukrainian Forces Intensify Military Activity in Lugansk Region - LPR Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Ukrainian forces are assembling devices for artillery fire correction in southeastern Ukraine, a representative of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) told RIA Novosti.
- New allegations of sexual abuse emerge against UN peacekeepers in Central African Republic UN News 04 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) reported today that it has identified seven new possible victims of sexual exploitation and abuse in the town of Bambari, just days after the UN revealed which countries' troops have been accused of abusing minors.
- Saudi Arabia donates $59 million to UN agency assisting Palestine refugees UN News 04 Feb 2016 -- Shelters, schools and health centres in Gaza, the West Bank and Jordan will benefit from $59 million donated by Saudi Arabia to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) in the Near East under three agreements signed today.
- Somalia: UN political chief visits top leaders in show of support for electoral process UN News 04 Feb 2016 -- A senior United Nations official has held talks with Somali leaders in Mogadishu, the capital, in a show of support for last month's "breakthrough" political achievement in selecting an electoral model to be used later this year in efforts to lead the Horn of Africa country out of decades of factional war.
- Obama Ramps Up Aid to Colombia as Peace Deal With Rebels Nears VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- President Barack Obama promised Thursday to provide more financial aid and other support for Colombia as its government prepares to finalize a peace deal with left-wing guerrillas it has battled for more than 50 years.
- UN Panel: Burundian Rebels Trained by Rwanda VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Allegations that Rwanda has been recruiting and training Burundian rebels on its territory with the goal of ousting Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza resurfaced Thursday in a confidential U.N. report.
- Al-Shabab Suspected in Mid-Flight Somali Plane Blast VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Somali officials investigating an apparent bomb blast that forced a passenger jet to make an emergency landing in Mogadishu say the explosion was likely the work of militant group al-Shabab.
- Satellite launch will incur new price for Pyongyang People's Daily 04 Feb 2016 -- North Korea notified the International Maritime Organization on Tuesday that it will launch what it called an 'earth observation satellite' sometime between February 8 and 25. It is anticipated that the launch will be around February 16, the anniversary of the birth of late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.
- S.Korea to intercept debris of DPRK rocket if falls in territory People's Daily 04 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry warned on Thursday of intercepting debris from a rocket, launched by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which fall on its territory and territorial waters.
- South Korea threatens to shoot down any rocket by North Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- South Korea says the North's planned rocket launch would never be "tolerated," threatening to destroy any projectile or debris that falls on its territory.
- China 'seriously concerned' about DPRK satellite launch plan People's Daily 04 Feb 2016 -- China is 'seriously concerned' about the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) plan to launch a satellite later this month, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- Russia urges North Korea to shun rocket launch plan Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Russia has expressed its disapproval of North Korea's planned rocket launch, urging Pyongyang to avoid such moves that could further heighten tensions in the region.
- N. Korean Nuclear Provocations Force Region to Make Hard Choices VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Pyongyang's defiant pursuit of nuclear weapons is forcing countries in northeast Asia to either support crippling sanctions or ultimately recognize North Korea as a nuclear state.
- Museveni's Availability in Question, but Second Ugandan Debate to Proceed VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- The Inter-Religious Council of Uganda says the last presidential debate ahead of the February 18 general election will proceed as planned on February 13, despite local media reports that incumbent President Yoweri Museveni will not be available to participate.
- U.S. Embassy Condemns Czechs For Refusing To Extradite Suspects RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- including a lawyer from Fayad's defense team -- went missing while visiting Lebanon.
- Prague Releases Suspected Lebanese Arms Trader Wanted By U.S. RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- A Czech court has set free a suspected Lebanese arms trader wanted by Washington in an exchange to free five Czech citizens held in Lebanon.
- Briefing: The new Jihadist strategy in the Sahel IRIN 04 Feb 2016 -- Security has been intense over the last few weeks in the Senegalese capital, Dakar, with police and soldiers on the streets, vehicle searches, and round-ups of alleged Islamist militants.
- Tajik Court Approves No Presidential Term Limit RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- Tajikistan's Constitutional Court has found legal the amendments to the country's constitution that could enable President Emomali Rahmon to establish a presidential dynasty.
- Moldovan Protest Leader Accuses U.S. Of 'Unification' Plot, Hails Soviet Past RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- One of the pro-Moscow leaders of recent antigovernment protests in Moldova has made anti-U.S. remarks that appear to be aimed at tapping into east-west tensions to whip up support for early elections that could boost Kremlin influence in his country.
- Political Crisis Boosts Moldova's Pro-Russians but Corruption Real Threat VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- A corruption crisis unfolding in Moldova has given a boost to Russia-leaning political parties, say analysts, even as the country remains on a pro-Europe path.
- UN panel concludes Assange detention illegal: Sweden Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Sweden says a ruling by a United Nations panel has described the detention of the founder of whistleblower website WikiLeaks in the Ecuadorian embassy in London as 'illegal.'
- The Tao Of Ramzan RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- Kadyrov was at it again this week, posting a video on Instagram showing opposition figures Mikhail Kasyanov and Vladimir Kara-Murza in the crosshairs of a sniper's rifle.
- MEPs Condemn Russia's 'Unprecedented' Abuses Against Crimean Tatars RFE/RL 04 Feb 2016 -- The European Parliament in Strasbourg has overwhelmingly adopted a resolution condemning Russia for its treatment of the Crimean Tatar population in the Ukrainian region of Crimea, which was annexed by Moscow in 2014.
- Classified Information Found in Personal Emails of Powell, Aides to Rice VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. State Department has determined that emails containing classified information were sent to the personal email accounts of former Secretary of State Colin Powell and aides to his successor, Condoleezza Rice.
- Pakistani Cleric Threatens More Attacks on India VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- A Pakistani Islamist leader accused of masterminding the 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed more than 160 people has threatened that India faces a wave of violence unless it stops "military oppression" of the people in the disputed Kashmir region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|