17 January 2016 Military News
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 17 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Bomb attack kill 13, injures 14 in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- At least 13 people have lost their lives and more than a dozen others sustained injuries when a powerful explosion struck Afghanistan's embattled eastern province of Nangarhar.
- US-led drone strike kills over dozen in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- More than a dozen people have been killed in a drone strike carried out by US-led foreign forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
- Four-way Afghan Peace Talks to Resume Monday VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- Delegates from Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are due to meet Monday in Kabul to further a four-way dialogue aimed at urgently seeking a negotiated end to the Afghan war. The Taliban insurgency has not yet indicated whether it intends to join the renewed peace efforts.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Search Continues for Crew of 2 US Military Copters Missing Off Hawaii VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- U.S. military teams extended their search Sunday for 12 Marines missing in the central Pacific after their helicopters apparently collided late Thursday during a training mission off the coast of Hawaii.
- Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's Visit to the United Kingdom DoD 17 Jan 2016
- USS John C. Stennis Deploys NNS 17 Jan 2016 -- Sailors aboard USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) departed their homeport of Naval Base Kitsap - Bremerton for a regularly scheduled deployment, Jan. 15.
- Dangerous Work: Russia Puts New Mine-Clearing Robots Into Service Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- State-of-the-art robotic demining systems have been put into service at Russia's Southern Military District, news reports said.
- China's Navy warships pay first visit to Timor-Leste People's Daily 17 Jan 2016 -- A Chinese Navy task force on Saturday arrived in Dili, capital of Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, to pay a five-day official visit to the country.
- Hague Claims Tribunal Settlement US Dept. of State 17 Jan 2016 -- The United States and Iran today have settled a long outstanding claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in the Hague.
- US to pay Iran $1.7bn in debt, interest Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry says that Washington is slated to repay Iran a $400 million debt, along with an additional $1.3 billion in interest.
- Despite age of 'mega-crises,' UN chief says humanitarian finance gap is a 'solvable problem' UN News 17 Jan 2016 -- Highlighting that people around the world are living at an age of "mega-crises," United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the launch of a new report on finding solutions to the growing gap between the increasing numbers of people in need of assistance and sufficient resources to provide relief.
- Yemeni forces fire missile at Saudi-held base in Ma'rib Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- The Yemeni army, backed by Popular Committees loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, has targeted a Saudi-held military base in Yemen's central province of Ma'rib with a ballistic missile.
- Arab Coalition Hits Yemen Intelligence Headquarters in 2 Airstrikes Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- According to a source in Yemeni security forces, Saudi-led Arab coalition jets have struck Yemen's intelligence headquarters twice 5 miles northwest of the country's capital.
- Syria troops seize key militant bastions in Latakia Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian government troops, backed by volunteer forces, have managed to retake full control of several strategic areas from foreign-backed militants in the northwestern province of Latakia.
- Daesh kidnaps 400 civilians in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr: Report Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- Daesh Takfiri terrorists have kidnapped at least 400 civilians, including women and children, in an assault on Syria's eastern city of Dayr al-Zawr, a monitoring group says.
- Militant rocket attacks leave 5 dead, dozens injured in Syria Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- At least five people have been killed and dozens of others injured in separate rocket attacks by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against residential areas in Syria's northwestern provinces of Aleppo and Idlib.
- IS Militants Abduct 400 Civilians In Eastern Syria, Monitor Says RFE/RL 17 Jan 2016 -- The Islamic State (IS) extremist group has abducted at least 400 people, including women and children, after capturing new territory in eastern Syria, a monitoring group said on January 17.
- Syrian Field Commander Refutes Reports of 400 People Kidnapped by Daesh Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- A Syrian field commander said that the reports on kidnappings of civilians from the village near the city of Deir al-Zor in eastern Syria are untrue.
- Suburban Combat: Syrian Army Fights Islamists in Greater Damascus Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- Syrian forces, supported by the county's air force, have reportedly destroyed more militants' strongholds in the eastern and western areas of Ghouta in Damascus province.
- Syrian Army Liberates Settlement, Where Daesh Militants Killed 280 People Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- Governor of the Syrian province of Deir ez-Zor said that Syrian Armed forces liberated al-Bagilya settlement, where the militants of Daesh militant group had killed 280 people.
- Next Stop Raqqa: Syrian Army Makes Fresh Advances on Daesh Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian Army, backed by allied popular defense forces, continued their advance on Daesh terrorists in the eastern part of Hama province capturing a number of hilltops along a strategic highway, Iran's Fars news agency reported on Friday.
- Turkish army kills 19 PKK militants in restive southeast Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- The Turkish military says at least 19 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed during separate military operations in the troubled southeastern part of the country.
- South Sudan FM Recalls Negotiating Team VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- South Sudan's unity government is in doubt after former vice president Riek Machar recalled the leadership of his team negotiating with South Sudan President Salva Kiir. Machar has accused Kiir of sabotaging the implementation of the agreement signed last August in Ethiopia by establishing 28 new states in South Sudan.
- Statement by the President on Iran The White House 17 Jan 2016
- Iran Nuclear Deal Shows US Diplomacy's Capabilities - Obama Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- US President Barack Obama said that the Iran nuclear deal would not resolve all differences between Washington and Tehran, but he called American diplomacy 'strong.'
- Obama Credits Diplomacy After Historic Developments With Iran VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is crediting "strong American diplomacy" for key milestones with Iran in a 24-hour period, including confirmation that Tehran has significantly rolled back its nuclear program, released American prisoners and resolved a three-decade-old financial dispute.
- US to 'vigorously' pursue new Iran sanctions, Obama says Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- US president Barack Obama says Washington will vigorously pursue enforcing new sanctions against Iran.
- US imposes sanctions on Iran for ballistic missile program Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- The US Department of the Treasury says it has imposed new sanctions on Iran for its ballistic missile program.
- U.S. Imposes New Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 17 Jan 2016 -- The United States has announced new sanctions on Iranian companies and individuals linked to Iran's ballistic missile program.
- US to Continue Sanctioning Iran for Unlawful Non-JCPOA Activities Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- US Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said that the United States will continue imposing sanctions on Iran for its sanctionable actions outside of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Netanyahu: Iran Unlikely to Abandon Nuclear Ambitions After Signing JCPOA Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Tehran has not abandoned its aim to obtain nuclear weapons even after signing an agreement on its nuclear program.
- Israel Condemns Lifting of Sanctions on Iran VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- Israel's prime minister has condemned the lifting of crippling international sanctions on Iran following the U.N. nuclear agency's certification that Tehran is curbing its nuclear program.
- JCPOA implementation, political victory for Iran: Rouhani Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has hailed the implementation of the nuclear agreement between the country and the P5+1 group of countries, dubbed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), as a political victory for the Iranians.
- Nuclear Deal 'Turning Point' For Iran's Economy, President Says RFE/RL 17 Jan 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has hailed the lifting of international sanctions on his country, saying a nuclear deal with world powers opened 'new windows' for Tehran's engagement with the world.
- UN Security Council removes Iranian bank from sanctions list UN News 17 Jan 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council announced today that it has removed Iranian Bank Sepah and its international subsidiary from a sanctions list, following yesterday's announcement of a UN report confirming that Iran has completed necessary preparatory steps to start the implementation of a plan of action aiming to resolve the nuclear issue.
- Rouhani expresses gratitude to Supreme Leader for support to gov't IRNA 17 Jan 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the country's significant achievements are indebted to the wise leadership of the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Iran President Hails Nuclear Deal as Victory for 'Power of Diplomacy' Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- Hassan Rouhani hailed on Sunday the implementation of a nuclear agreement Tehran negotiated with the six world powers.
- Successive US administrations should fulfill commitment to JCPOA IRNA 17 Jan 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the country's significant achievements are indebted to the wise leadership of the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Sanctions imposed over Iran's nuclear program lifted ISNA 17 Jan 2016 -- Sanctions imposed on Iran over its nuclear program are lifted following confirmation of Tehran's commitment to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- US Treasury Lifts Sanctions Imposed on Iran's Central Bank, Oil Trade Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- US Department of the Treasury released a set of documents, which define the sanctions lifted from Iran, including the restrictions imposed on Central Bank of Iran and National Iranian Oil Company.
- Don't Even Think About It! China Reacts Strongly to Taiwan Elections Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- Hours after Taiwan put an independence-minded president and party into power, China responded by suggesting there could be repercussions if the island pushes further away from the mainland.
- China Waits, Watches as Taiwan Elects New President VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's president-elect received jubilant approval at home and a cautious response in China a day after her sweeping victory. Taiwanese mainstream media called the election a mass win for a once struggling opposition party that historically dislikes Beijing. Officials in China are expected to wait and watch for now.
- Tsai Ing-wen seen as more flexible than former DPP president CNA 17 Jan 2016 -- President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) appears to be more flexible than the first person from her Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) to win the presidency, Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), a former director of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said Sunday.
- Chu to resign as KMT chairman Monday CNA 17 Jan 2016 -- Kuomintang (KMT) Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) said Sunday that he will resign formally from the leadership of the party on Monday, after the KMT suffered a crushing loss in the Saturday's presidential and legislative elections.
- White House congratulates Tsai on election win CNA 17 Jan 2016 -- The White House offered its congratulations to Taiwan's President-elect Tsai Ing-wen on winning the election Saturday and said the United States 'maintain(s) a profound interest in the continuation' of peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait.
- Turnout in presidential race lowest in history CNA 17 Jan 2016 -- The turnout in Taiwan's presidential election was the lowest ever in the six direct presidential elections the country has held since 1996, according to data compiled by the Central Election Committee (CEC).
- Six historic firsts in the 2016 presidential and legislative elections CNA 17 Jan 2016 -- The Democratic Progressive Party's (DPP's) Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) was elected the new president of Taiwan on Saturday, completing the third transition of power in Taiwan's democratic history.
- China urged to respect Taiwan's general election results CNA 17 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC,大陸委員會) has called on China to respect the results of Taiwan's presidential and legislative elections that concluded Saturday.
- White House Condemns Attacks in Burkina Faso VOA 17 Jan 2016 -- The White House issued a sharply-worded statement Sunday saying it 'condemns in the strongest terms' attacks in the capital of Burkina Faso that killed at least 29 people and wounded scores more from 18 countries overnight Friday.
- Good Listeners: Germany Spied on Finland's International Communications Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- German intelligence was eavesdropping on Finland's international communications as part of a joint operation with the US National Security Agency (NSA).
- Saudi splurging out to rally support against Iran: Report Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia pledged the Somali government USD 50 million in aid on the same day Mogadishu declared it had severed ties with Iran, a report says.
- China Aims for the Moon With New Rockets Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- China's space industry revealed that its new rockets would be used for an unmanned moon mission capable of returning soil samples, as well as a delivery vehicle for a new space station.
- Blame Game: Erdogan Hunts for Enemies Within and Without as Turkey Suffers Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- The Turkish government insists on blaming the misfortunes that befall the country on foreign and domestic enemies.
- 'Nigerian forces sprayed Sheikh Zakzaky with six bullets' Press TV 17 Jan 2016 -- Nigerian army soldiers fired six bullets at Sheikh Ibrahim al-Zakzaky, seriously injuring the Shia cleric when they raided his residence to arrest him, says a member of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA).
- Chechen Parliament Head Attacks Liberal Opposition, Media RFE/RL 17 Jan 2016 -- The speaker of the rubber-stamp legislature of Russia's North Caucasus region of Chechnya has issued a harsh statement accusing opposition figures and media of being 'traitors' under the control of Western security agencies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|