10 January 2016 Military News
- Coalition Continues Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan forces regain control of key district in Takhar Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- Afghan security forces have managed to regain control of a strategic district in the northeastern province of Takhar some three months after it fell into the hands of Taliban militants, officials say.
- Afghan Forces Regain Control Over Taliban-Held Northern Darqad District Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- The Afghan forces managed to regain control over the Dharwad district in Afghanistan after an intense three-months long military operation against Taliban militants, according to Afghanistan's interior ministry.
- A Try for Peace in Afghanistan as 4 Nations Meet VOA 10 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan is to host a key meeting of top Afghan, US and Chinese officials on Monday. Participants are tasked to set the stage and determine dates for resuming peace talks between the Kabul government and the Taliban to end years of hostilities in Afghanistan.
- Ghani Assesses Concerns IS Gaining Ground in Afghan Province VOA 10 Jan 2016 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Sunday traveled to eastern Nangarhar province where he met with officials and tribal leaders to assess concerns Islamic State is gaining ground in the province that borders Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Conducts B-52 Bomber Overflight in South Korea AFPS 10 Jan 2016 -- A U.S. B-52 bomber from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, conducted a low-level flight in the vicinity of Osan, South Korea, in response to a recent nuclear test by North Korea, according to a U.S. Pacific Command news release issued yesterday.
- US B-52 bomber flies over S Korea to show force against North Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- A powerful US long-range heavy bomber has flown over South Korea as an indication of power from the United States following North Korea's fourth nuclear test.
- US Warplane Flies Over South Korea in Show of Force to North VOA 10 Jan 2016 -- A long-range U.S. military bomber flew over South Korea Sunday, in an apparent response to North Korea over its latest nuclear weapons test.
- U.S. B-52 bomber deployed in S. Korea in retaliation for DPRK's nuke test People's Daily 10 Jan 2016 -- A U.S. B-52 bomber, capable of delivering nuclear missile, was deployed on Sunday in South Korea in retaliation for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s fourth nuclear test.
- Obama will keep promise to close Guantanamo: White House Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- US President Barack Obama will keep his promise to close the American military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, before his presidency ends in 11 months, according to the White House.
- DPRK top leader says H-bomb test 'self-defensive step', 'legitimate right' People's Daily 10 Jan 2016 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), congratulated the country's military commanders on what he called a successful test of Pyongyang's first H-bomb, the official KCNA news agency reported Sunday.
- North Korea's H-bomb test act of self-defense: Kim Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- North Korea's leader, Kim Jong-un, says the recent hydrogen bomb test has been an act of self-defense against threats of a nuclear war with the United States.
- Experts Doubt North Korea Hydrogen Bomb Explosion's Authenticity Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- Executive Secretary of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) Lassina Zerbo stated that CTBTO monitoring stations picked up an 'unusual seismic event' in the DPRK's nuclear test site area and experts are currently conducting tests to establish the nature of the recent explosion.
- Russian Navy to Enhance Captains' Training in Naval Aviation Operations Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- Russian navy fleet in 2016 will see a significant broadening of training for captains and captains' senior assistants on ships with naval aviation on board, according to naval aviation Chief Igor Kozhin.
- Russian Army Airborne Units Receive New Portable Air Defense Systems Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- Four of Russia's airborne troop units received the newest combat equipment supplied in bundles which included the Verba man-portable surface-to-air defense system with the Barnaul-T automatic control system, as well as a single learning and training set, according to a military official.
- All Seeing Eye: Russian Flotilla Tests Cutting-Edge Radar Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- Russia's Caspian Sea flotilla successfully conducted a test of the over-the-horizon radar system Podsolnukh during recent drills, media reports said.
- China Building Its First Aircraft Carrier Using Soviet Plans Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- The first aircraft carrier to be made in China will be constructed according to the same blueprints used in building the Liaoning, a carrier which was constructed in Soviet Ukraine in the 1980's and later sold to the People's Liberation Army.
- 2016 Atlas of Iranian Naval Facilities published IRNA 10 Jan 2016 -- Headquarters for Development of Marine Sciences Technology affiliated to the Office of Vice President for Science and Technology published the 2016 Atlas of Iranian Naval Facilities.
- Nobody allowed to close Bab-el-Mandeb Strait: Navy commander ISNA 10 Jan 2016 -- Iranian Navy's Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Gholam-Reza Khadem Bigham said nobody is allowed to close the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, which connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden.
- Korean Air Launches $333.5Mln-Worth Mass Production of Spy Drones Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- South Korea's largest airline Korean Air said Sunday it has signed a $333.5 million deal on the mass production of reconnaissance drones with the military procurement agency, local media reported.
- Four killed as Saudi jets bomb MSF health facility in northern Yemen: Reports Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- New Saudi airstrikes have struck a health center operated by charity health organization Doctors Without Borders, also known by its French abbreviation MSF, in northern Yemen, killing at least four people and wounding several others, according to local reports.
- Yemen forces liberate district in southwestern Ta'izz Province Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- The Yemeni army, backed by the Popular Committees supporting the Houthi Ansarullah movement, has liberated a district in the southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Rights Group Accuses Yemen's Houthis of Arbitrary Detentions VOA 10 Jan 2016 -- An international rights organization has accused Yemen's Shi'ite Houthi rebels of arbitrarily detaining and forcibly disappearing dozens of people in the capital, Sana'a.
- Saudi-Iran tensions will not hamper efforts to resolve Syria conflict - UN special envoy UN News 10 Jan 2016 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, concluded today his regional consultations with meetings in Tehran, where he received assurances from his interlocutors that regional current tensions would not affect Iran's engagement in facilitating the holding of upcoming Geneva talks on ending the crisis in Syria.
- Syrian fighter jets pound Daesh oil tankers in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian Air Force has targeted a convoy of 20 tankers smuggling oil from territories held by Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the Arab country's east.
- Russian airstrike targets al-Qaeda prison in Syria's Idlib Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- The Russian air force has carried out a strike on an al-Qaeda run prison killing around 60 people in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, a UK-based monitoring group says.
- Hitting the Enemy Where It Hurts: Kurdish Forces Disrupt Daesh Oil Trade Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- The Kurdish People's Protection Units are waging a successful campaign against Daesh forces in Syria, targeting the terrorist movement's primary source of income.
- Syrian Army Storms Daesh and al-Nusra Terrorists in Homs Sputnik 10 Jan 2016 -- Syrian government forces have killed scores of Daesh and al-Nusra terrorists after attacking their positions in Homs province, reported Fars news.
- UN Special Envoy for Syria Wraps Up Iran Visit VOA 10 Jan 2016 -- The United Nations special envoy to Syria met with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in Tehran Sunday, describing the discussions as 'useful' ahead of upcoming peace talks later this month.
- Iraq Argues It Does Better Job in Anti-Daesh Air War Than Int'l Coalition Sputnik 11 Jan 2016 -- The prime minister of Iraq claimed this weekend that the country's air force does a better job striking Daesh across the country than the whole US-led 60-nation coalition.
- Key power station shelled in Libya's Benghazi, power cuts feared Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- A major power station in Libya's second largest city has come under artillery attacks by unidentified "terrorists," threatening widespread power cuts in east of the country, officials said.
- Turkish forces kill 32 PKK militants in eastern province Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- At least 32 militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed after Turkish forces attacked their position in the eastern province of Van.
- Zarif: Iran not to let Riyadh to overshadow settling Syrian crisis ISNA 10 Jan 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif reiterated that the country would never allow Saudi tension-creating policies overshadow settlement of Syrian crisis.
- Iran won't let Saudi fuel Syria crisis: Zarif Press TV 10 Jan 2016 -- Iran says it will not allow Saudi Arabia's provocations to adversely affect ongoing efforts aimed at resolving the crisis in Syria.
- Tehran Says Saudi Arabia Using Diplomatic Row To Hurt Syrian Peace Talks RFE/RL 10 Jan 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has accused Saudi Arabia of using its escalating diplomatic row with Tehran to derail peace talks on the Syrian conflict.
- Arab Foreign Ministers Back Saudi Arabia in Dispute with Iran VOA 10 Jan 2016 -- Arab League foreign ministers expressed solidarity with Saudi Arabia during a meeting Sunday in Cairo to discuss the recent attacks on its diplomatic missions in Iran. Eight Arab countries have downgraded diplomatic ties with Iran over the attacks that followed Saudi Arabia's execution of a Shi'ite cleric.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|