03 January 2016 Military News
- Coalition Forces Continue Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Five people killed in US drone strike in northeast Afghanistan Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan say at least five people have lost their lives in a US drone strike in the Asian country's northeastern province of Kunar.
- US ceases drone operations in Ethiopia: Official Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- The United States has ceased its drone operations in the African country of Ethiopia, according to an embassy official.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Missile Cruiser Varyag Arrives in Mediterranean Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- Russian Slava-class guided missile cruiser Varyag arrived in the Mediterranean Sea as part of its mission, according to the press service of the Russian Eastern Military District.
- New Missile to Boost S-400 Air Defense System Capability Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- According to Russian military industry, a new missile with a longer range specifically developed for Russia's S-400 air defense system will push the range at which the system can engage targets to its limit.
- China's 2nd aircraft carrier totally different from Liaoning People's Daily 03 Jan 2016 -- Military observers in China are suggesting the new Chinese aircraft carrier currently under construction is going to be quite different from the country's first vessel.
- Two Kurdish Peshmerga Brigades to Be Armed and Trained by US in January Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- Iraqi Kurdistan military officials have announced that two brigades of Kurdish armed forces, known as Pesmerga, will undergo reorganization and armament by the US in mid-January.
- India Successfully Competes User-Assisted Tests of Pinaka II Rocket System Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- India has successfully completed user-assisted trials of its multiple launch rocket system Pinaka II, at the Pokhran field firing range in India's northern state of Rajasthan, local media reported on Sunday.
- Navy Commander upbeat about Navy progress, advances IRNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Sunday that the Navy achieved progress by skilled and capable manpower, to become a major strategic force.
- China rejects Vietnam protest over flight test on disputed islands Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- China has rejected as "unfounded" Vietnam's accusation that Beijing violated its sovereignty by conducting a flight test on an artificial island in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- Possibly armed Chinese vessel enter disputed waters near Diaoyutais CNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Four vessels operated by China's Coast Guard, including one possibly equipped with gun turrets, reportedly entered waters around the disputed Diaoyutai Islands on Sunday.
- Yemeni forces kill more Riyadh mercenaries Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- The Yemeni army, backed by the Popular Committees supporting the Houthi Ansarullah movement, has conducted a successful operation against Riyadh's mercenaries in the southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Homs Invasion: Syrian Army Artillery Smashes al-Nusra Front Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- Heavy shelling by the Syrian Army has inflicted heavy losses on al-Nusra terrorists in northern Homs province, reported Iran's FARS news.
- Iraqi forces deal heavy blows to Daesh militants Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by military aircraft, have carried out successful clean-up operations against the Daesh terrorist group in some parts of the Arab country, inflicting heavy losses on the Takfiri militants.
- Iraq's Ramadi to Be Fully Liberated From Daesh in 4-5 Days - Army Official Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- Commander of Iraq's anti-terrorism contingent said that Parts of the Iraqi city of Ramadi, remaining under the control of the Daesh should be fully liberated in four to five days.
- Saudi Arabia Cuts Diplomatic Ties With Iran as Tensions Escalate VOA 03 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has severed diplomatic ties with Iran, less than a day after demonstrators in the Iranian capital stormed the Saudi embassy to protest Riyadh's execution of a prominent Shi'ite cleric.
- Saudi Arabia Cuts Ties Amid Iranian Anger Over Cleric's Execution RFE/RL 03 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has said it's cutting diplomatic ties with Iran, in the latest fallout to erupt after Riyadh's execution of an opposition Shi'ite cleric prompted outraged protesters to storm the Saudi Embassy in Tehran.
- Guardian Council condemns execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr IRNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Guardian Council issued a statement on Sunday to condemn execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr Baqr al-Nimr by Saudi rulers.
- Velayati: Saudi will pay the price for martyrdom of Ayatollah Nimr al-Nimr IRNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Head of Strategic Center at the Expediency Council Ali Akbar Velayati on Sunday strongly condemned execution of prominent Saudi Shia cleric Ayatollah Nimr al-Nimr and said there is no doubt that Saudi kingdom will pay the price for the murder.
- Salehi deplores execution of Shia religious leader IRNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Vice-President and head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi on Sunday deplored martyrdom of Ayatollah Sheikh Nimr Baqer al-Nimr.
- President Rouhani slams Saudi crime of executing Shahid al-Nimr IRNA 03 Jan 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani slammed the Saudi Arabia crime of executing prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr and said such an action only serves sectarian interests.
- Execution of Sheikh Nimr, Daesh-like action by Saudi Arabia: IRGC IRNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) condemned execution of a prominent Shia cleric by Saudi rulers, describing it as a Daesh-like action.
- Iran summons Saudi deputy mission chief over Nimr execution ISNA 03 Jan 2016 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the deputy head of the Saudi mission in Tehran to protest the execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
- Leader condemns Saudi execution of Sheikh Nimr ISNA 03 Jan 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei strongly condemned Saudi Arabia's execution of prominent Shia cleric, Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
- Sheikh Nimr execution is against international law: UN Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has deplored the Saudi Arabia's execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr as a "disturbing development", since he had not committed a crime regarded "as most serious" under international law.
- Saudi Arabia severs diplomatic relations with Iran Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has announced severing of diplomatic relations with Iran following Tehran's objection to execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
- Iran warns of extremism fallout in Mideast Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has warned against the repercussions of extremism in the Middle East region following Saudi Arabia's execution of a top Shia cleric.
- Hezbollah: Saudi regime nearing collapse Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Reacting to Saudi Arabia's execution of an outspoken Shia cleric, Hezbollah says the regime is looking at "the abyss" and that indications point to its upcoming demise.
- Iraq's top Shia cleric condemns Nimr's execution Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Iraq's top Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, has condemned as "unjust aggression" the Saudi regime's execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
- IRGC condemns Saudi execution of Shia cleric Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has strongly condemned the execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, saying the move by the regime in Riyadh is reminiscent of atrocities carried out by Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- President Rouhani: Saudi sectarianism behind execution of Sheikh Nimr Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says Saudi Arabia's execution of prominent Shia cleric, Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, was in line with Riyadh's sectarian policies which aim to spread terrorism and extremism.
- Saudi Arabia Breaks Off Diplomatic Relations With Iran Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Foreign Minister announced that the kingdom cuts relations with Iran.
- UN officials 'deeply dismayed' by Saudi executions, urge commuting all death sentences UN News 03 Jan 2016 -- Top United Nations officials have expressed deep dismay and regret over yesterday's executions by Saudi Arabia of 47 people, including the cleric Sheikh Nimr Baqir al-Nimr, and called on the country's authorities to commute all death sentences.
- IS Claims Execution of Purported British Spies VOA 03 Jan 2016 -- A video circulated Sunday purporting to show an Islamic State execution of five men it said were spying for Britain in Syria.
- Battle for Control of Indian Air Base Enters 2nd Night VOA 03 Jan 2016 -- The battle for control of an Indian air base near the Pakistan border entered a second night on Sunday, more than 36 hours after the compound came under attack. Authorities say at least seven troops and four gunmen had been killed by nightfall, with 12 others wounded.
- Death toll of Indian security forces in airbase attack rises to 7 People's Daily 03 Jan 2016 -- The death toll of Indian security forces personnel in Saturday's terror attack on a key Indian Air Force base in the northern state of Punjab has touched seven.
- New gunfire erupts at Indian air force base in Punjab Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- A fresh gun battle has erupted at an Indian air force base in the northern state of Punjab that had been attacked by suspected militants a day earlier with the loss of about a dozen lives.
- Death toll from attack on Indian air force base rises to 10 Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- The death toll from an attack on an Indian air force base in the northern state of Punjab has risen to at least ten people, including six members of security forces and four militants.
- Reports: Indian Consulate In Afghan City Attacked RFE/RL 03 Jan 2016 -- Fighting between security forces and gunmen was reported to have continued in the early hours of January 4 around the Indian consulate in the northern Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif.
- US Critical of Rwandan President's Decision to Seek New Term VOA 03 Jan 2016 -- The United States on Saturday criticized Rwandan President Paul Kagame's decision to seek a third term in 2017.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|