01 January 2016 Military News
- Coalition Conducts 24 Strikes Against ISIL in Iraq AFPS 01 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Loud explosion hits French restaurant in Afghanistan's Kabul Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- A loud deadly explosion has rocked a French restaurant popular with Afghan officials and foreign diplomats in central part of Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.
- Taliban Claims Responsibility for Kabul Blast that Killed One, Wounded 11 VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- An explosion struck the Afghan capital on Friday evening, killing one person and wounding 11 people, officials said. The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility and said one of its suicide bombers had carried out the attack.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Putin declares NATO 'threat' to Russian security Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a new defense strategy document that declares the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) a threat to Russia's national security.
- It's (Finally) Official: China Creates Cyberwarfare Military Branch Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- China has long been rumored to possess cyberwarfare capabilities, and now the country's military has kicked off 2016 by creating a new military branch focused on the digital battleground.
- China inaugurates PLA Rocket Force as military reform deepens Xinhua 01 Jan 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping conferred military flags on the general command for the Army of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), the PLA Rocket Force and the PLA Strategic Support Force at their inauguration ceremony held Thursday in Beijing.
- No worry necessary over China's second aircraft carrier: expert Xinhua 01 Jan 2016 -- A military expert said construction of China's second aircraft carrier is normal and the scale of China's aircraft carrier development is much smaller than that of the United States and even India.
- Iran draws red line on missile program Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Iranian officials have lined up to underline the country's push to buttress missile capabilities after reports that the US administration planned new sanctions on the Islamic Republic in spite of a nuclear accord.
- Iran to Boost Missile Program in Accordance With National Interests Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehqan said that because of the current situation in the region of the Middle East, peace and security could only be provided with the existence of strong military forces.
- Premier Abe vows to keep Japan out of war Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has pledged to keep his nation out of war following the introduction of a controversial new law that would allow the military to engage in wars overseas.
- Yemeni missiles kill 24 Saudi troops in Jizan: Report Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- As part of their retaliatory campaign against Saudi Arabia, Yemeni allied forces have targeted a military base in the kingdom's southwestern province of Jizan with missiles, killing 24 Saudi soldiers and injuring 37 others, reports say.
- Fresh Saudi airstrikes leave 17 civilians dead in Yemen Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- At least 17 Yemeni civilians, including women and children, have been killed and a number of others wounded in the fresh wave of Saudi air raids against its impoverished neighbor.
- Syria army advances against militants in several areas Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Syrian army troops have carried out fresh military operations against Takfiri groups on several fronts, liberating more militant-held areas and inflicting heavy losses on the terrorists.
- Syrian Army Attacks Daesh in Damascus and Deir Ezzur Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- Syrian government forces have killed scores of terrorists in attacks on Daesh and Jabhat al-Nusra positions in Damascus and in eastern Syria, reported Iran's news agency FARS.
- Syrian Army Advances on Islamist Militants Near Golan Heights Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian troops and the National Defense Forces have reportedly managed to regain control of a strategic village from militants in the country's southwestern province of Quneitra, most of which is located in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
- What the Death of a Top Syrian 'Moderate' Jihadi Really Means Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- Last week, Syrian officials announced that an airstrike had killed Zahran Alloush, the leader of the powerful terrorist group Jaysh al-Islam. With much of the Western media rolling out bizarre eulogies to the 'moderate' jihadist, Israeli daily newspaper Maariv, thankfully, took a more balanced approach.
- Iraqi forces continue clean-up operation in Ramadi Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Iraqi forces continue the clean-up operation in Ramadi, western province of Anbar, inflicting more losses on the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- UN says 980 killed in Iraq in December Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- The United Nations says nearly 1,000 people were killed by violence in the Arab country in December 2015.
- Ukrainian Police Blame Second Crimean Power Outage On Sabotage RFE/RL 01 Jan 2016 -- Ukrainian police are blaming saboteurs yet again for blowing up an electricity pylon that shut down electricity for at least one-quarter of the residents of Crimea.
- President touts cross-strait peace as his crowning achievement CNA 01 Jan 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said the peaceful, prosperous and sustainable development of cross-Taiwan Strait relations has successfully turned the strait from a flash point into a peace avenue.
- Cameroon Welcomes US Assistance Against Boko Haram VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- Cameroon President Paul Biya welcomed the engagement of U.S. troops in his country's fight against Boko Haram insurgents. But many Cameroonians do not yet understand the role of the troops in the war.
- White House to delay Iran sanctions: Report Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- US President Barack Obama's administration will reportedly delay planned financial sanctions against Iran over its ballistic missile program, after the Iranian president ordered the accelerated production of missiles in response to reports of possible new sanctions.
- Washington Shelves New Sanctions Against Iran Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- The White House has plans to impose sanctions against Iran in connection with its missile defence program, but has now delayed their implementation, according to reports.
- Report: US Delays Sanctions Against Iran's Missile Program VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- The White House is delaying plans to impose sanctions targeting Iran's ballistic missile program, according to a U.S. media report.
- Migrant Crisis, Populist Politics, Russian Moves Set To Haunt EU In 2016 RFE/RL 01 Jan 2016 -- More than 25 years after the Berlin Wall crumbled, barriers were being erected across Europe in 2015 amidst a wave of migrants the likes of which the continent has not seen since World War II, shaking the foundations of the 28-nation bloc and raising questions about its very viability.
- Rwanda president says will run for 3rd term in 2017 Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Rwanda President Paul Kagame says he will run for a third term in 2017 following an approval of constitutional amendments that allow him to potentially remain in power until 2034.
- Rwanda's Kagame to Run for Another Term in 2017 VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- Rwandan President Paul Kagame has announced his intention to run for a third term in office in 2017, one week after the country voted in a referendum to change the constitution to allow him to run.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping's New Year Speech 2016 People's Daily 01 Jan 2016 -- On New Year's Eve, Chinese President Xi Jinping delivered a New Year speech via China Radio International. The full text is as follows:
- North Korean leader vows to improve ties with South Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has vowed to work to improve relations between his country and neighboring South Korea.
- Kim Jong Un Focuses on Economy, Not Nukes, in New Year's Speech VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un used his New Year's Day address Friday to focus primarily on the importance of economic development, avoiding any explicit threats or references to his country's nuclear weapons program.
- South Korean Political Parties Welcome Pyongyang's Peaceful Intentions Sputnik 01 Jan 2016 -- A spokesman of the South Korea's ruling Saenuri party called peaceful intentions of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un 'significant.'
- France still facing high-level terror threat: Hollande Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- President Francois Hollande says France is still facing a security threat "at its highest level," nearly two months after a series of coordinated terror attacks left 130 people dead in and around Paris.
- Belgian police nab three more terror suspects Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- The Belgian police have arrested three more people for allegedly plotting an attack against the country's capital during New Year celebrations.
- Munich Stations Reopen As Police Hunt for 'Terror Plot' Suspects RFE/RL 01 Jan 2016 -- Munich train stations reopened and police lifted an alert of an imminent terrorist attack in the southern German city on January 1, but authorities say the situation remains 'serious.'
- NY Man Arrested for Alleged New Year's Eve Attack Plot VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- The U.S. Justice Department says authorities have arrested a New York state resident accused of planning to kill civilians on New Year's Eve in the name of the Islamic State group.
- New al-Shabab Video Highlights Trump Statement, US Police Brutality VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- The Somali militant group al-Shabab has released a new recruiting video that highlights U.S. police shootings and the call by presidential candidate Donald Trump to ban Muslims from entering the United States.
- Analysts Study Jihadists' Dreams of the Caliphate VOA 01 Jan 2016 -- Just days before Islamic convert Elton Simpson attacked a controversial "Draw the Prophet Muhammad" contest last May in Garland, Texas, he asked jihadists online to arrange an interpretation of a dream he had of "a woman in a hijab looking down at him on a road."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|