Yemeni missiles kill 24 Saudi troops in Jizan: Report
Iran Press TV
Fri Jan 1, 2016 5:29PM
As part of their retaliatory campaign against Saudi Arabia, Yemeni allied forces have targeted a military base in the kingdom's southwestern province of Jizan with missiles, killing 24 Saudi soldiers and injuring 37 others, reports say.
On its Twitter page on Friday, Yemen's Ansarullah movement said 37 Saudi troops had also been injured after the popular committee forces fired 18 missiles on the al-Mosem base.
Earlier in the day, Yemeni forces targeted positions of the Saudi military at a border crossing in Yemen's northwestern province of Hajjah, inflicting fatalities on the aggressors.
The Tawal-Harad border crossing was hit by 24 artillery shells, according to Yemen's al-Masira TV channel. Saudi soldiers and Riyadh's mercenaries were reportedly among the casualties.
The Yemeni forces also carried out a rocket attack against a Saudi base in Salah region of Saudi Arabia's Najran Province.
The retaliatory attacks by the Yemeni forces came as the Saudi military conducted new airstrikes on a number of areas in the impoverished country.
In the al-Aqrooz region of Ta'izz Province, southern Yemen, six civilians were killed and a dozen more wounded in such attacks. Yemeni media said the army, backed by fighters of the Popular Committees, had managed to take control of heights in the district of Waze'ya in Ta'izz from militants loyal to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.
In the same province, a Saudi airstrike on the village of al-Hamraa killed all the seven members of one family. Sources said the airstrike hit the house of Najib Abdu Zawet, a senior leader of the Islah Party.
Another airstrike by Saudi warplanes left two people dead and eight wounded in the western province of Hudaydah, according to hospital sources. Al-Masirah said one Yemeni died and three were injured in a similar attack on a factory in the same province.
In Yemen's northern province of Sa'ada, Saudi forces reportedly bombed the al-Kholid region.
The Saudi campaign against Yemen began on March 26. More than 7,500 people have died in the airstrikes ever since. The move was meant to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement of Yemen and bring Hadi back to power.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|