23 December 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 23 Dec 2015 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 23 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq and Syria UK MOD 23 Dec 2015 -- Over the last week, the RAF conducted the most intensive day of air strikes against Daesh so far and continue to support the Iraqi operation to liberate Ramadi.
- Afghan government sends reinforcements to Helmand Press TV 23 Dec 2015 -- The Afghan government has deployed reinforcements to the southern province of Helmand after the Taliban militants captured a large area of a key district in the volatile region.
- Afghan Reinforcements Sent to Helmand Province VOA 23 Dec 2015 -- The Afghan government has sent reinforcements to the besieged southern district of Helmand province, after Taliban militants captured large parts of the area in recent days.
- British Infantry Trainers to Remain in Afghanistan for at Least Two Months Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- Ten military trainers from the UK's Second Battalion of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (2 PWRR) will stay in Afghanistan's Camp Shorabak for the next couple of months, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) news desk told Sputnik on Wednesday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- San Diego Homeport for Two New LCS Class Ships NNS 23 Dec 2015 -- The Navy announced today the future littoral combat ships USS Detroit (LCS 7) and USS Montgomery (LCS 8) are scheduled to be homeported at Naval Base San Diego following their commissioning in summer 2016.
- Rapid Recovery: ONR-Sponsored Research Fights Cardio, Muscular Fatigue in Navy Divers NNS 23 Dec 2015 -- To determine the cause of extreme fatigue in Navy divers after routine missions, the Office of Naval Research (ONR) is sponsoring work examining the most critical weapon in a diver's arsenal - oxygen itself.
- Pentagon Sticks to Idea of Expanded 'Pre-positioning' of Gear Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- The Pentagon will adhere to a decision to 'pre-position' more gear around the world over the next year for the sake of prompt responses to both military and humanitarian crises.
- Russia Laying Down 2 New-Gen Corvettes Armed With Kalibr Cruise Missiles Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- The ships will be armed with Kalibr cruise missiles and will enter the ranks of the Russian Navy in 2017-2018.
- Why Did Russia, Armenia Create Joint Defense System in Caucasus? Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- Russian and Armenian defense ministers on Wednesday signed a treaty to create a joint regional air defense system in the Caucasus.
- India's Modi In Moscow To Promote Defense, Energy Ties RFE/RL 23 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is heading to Moscow for an annual bilateral summit expected to focus on defense and energy cooperation.
- Moscow re-equips Bishkek to counter Daesh: Russian defense minister Press TV 23 Dec 2015 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu says Moscow is actively re-equipping the armed forces of Kyrgyzstan to help it counter the threat posed by the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group operating in Afghanistan.
- Iran-Oman Joint Naval Drills Underway in Persian Gulf Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- A two-day maritime joint exercise of the Iranian and Omani naval forces started on Wednesday in the eastern part of the Strait of Hormuz and will continue in the Persian Gulf, Iranian media reported.
- Italian Air Force Receives Two More Predator Drones - US Defense Contractor Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- The Italian Air Force has accepted delivery of two RQ-1 Predator drones, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. (GA ASI) announced in a press release.
- Russia Delivers Free S-300 Air Defense Systems to Kazakhstan Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- According to Russia's Defense Ministry, Russia delivered S-300 air defense systems to Kazakhstan free of charge.
- UK Refusing to Release Details of Saudi Arabia Secret Security Deal Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- The UK is being urged to release the details of a secret security agreement signed with Saudi Arabia, after the government tried to prevent details from being made public.
- Philippines to Spend Big on Massive Military Modernization Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- Philippine President Benigno Aquino on Monday promised that an 83.9-billion-peso ($1.77 billion) allocation for military modernization projects would be spent by 2017 as the country is in the midst of a territorial dispute with China.
- Good Riddance: Germany Withdraws Patriot Missiles From Turkey Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- Germany has moved its Patriot air-defense systems out of Turkey as its military mission in the country expires next month.
- DoD News: Contracts for December 11, 2015
- Russia ready to supply 15 Tu-204SM planes to Iran ISNA 23 Dec 2015 -- Russia is pursuing talks with Iran's Kish Airlines on the possible supply of 15 Russian Tu-204SM aircraft, Russia's Ministry of Industry and Trade said.
- 23 December 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 23 Dec 2015
- China, ROK hold successful talks on maritime demarcation People's Daily 23 Dec 2015 -- China and the Republic of Korea (ROK) held their first round of talks on maritime demarcation here on Tuesday to implement the consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries on July 3, 2014 to start the talks in 2015.
- Chinese defends ship patrol near Diaoyu Islands People's Daily 23 Dec 2015 -- China on Wednesday rejected comments made by Japan about its ship patrol near the Diaoyu Islands, saying the action was 'irreproachable.'
- Yemen: Security Council deeply concerned by cessation of hostilities' violations UN News 23 Dec 2015 -- The Security Council today expressed "deep concern" over the number of violations of Yemen's cessation of hostilities agreement and urged all parties to adhere to the accord and exercise maximum restraint following the adjournment of peace talks until January 2016.
- Syria ready to join UN peace talks: Assad adviser Press TV 23 Dec 2015 -- A top adviser to Syria's president says Damascus is prepared to join UN-backed talks aimed at bringing peace to the Arab country.
- Syria army makes new gains in Latakia, retakes height Press TV 23 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian military and volunteer fighters have made new gains against militants in the northwestern province of Latakia.
- Conditions of Syrian refugees in Lebanon worsen considerably, UN reports UN News 23 Dec 2015 -- Some 70 per cent of the over 1 million Syrian refugees in Lebanon now live below the Lebanese extreme poverty line, a big rise over 2014, and food insecurity is mounting, the United Nations reported today, calling for greater access to the domestic labour market to mitigate the crisis.
- Amnesty: Russian Airstrikes Killed 200 Civilians in Syria VOA 23 Dec 2015 -- Amnesty International added to the criticism of Russia's air campaign in Syria with a new report Wednesday saying the bombings have killed at least 200 civilians in Homs, Idlib and Aleppo provinces.
- Reports on Civilian Deaths in Airstrikes in Syria 'Provocation' - Lawmaker Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- The chairman of the Russian Federation Council's Committee on Defense and Security said Wednesday that reports by a rights group that accuse Russia of killing civilians in its anti-terror airstrikes are a 'provocation.'
- Iraqi Troops Advance on IS Fighters in Battle for Ramadi VOA 23 Dec 2015 -- Iraqi troops closed in on Islamic State fighters Wednesday in central Ramadi, where they are trying to retake the city they lost seven months ago and further shrink the IS 'caliphate.'
- Hailing political accord, Security Council urges international aid against terrorist groups in Libya UN News 23 Dec 2015 -- Welcoming the newly signed United Nations-brokered accord for a national unity government in Libya, the Security Council today urged the parties to implement its terms within the 30-day time limit, and called on the world community to provide all necessary aid to defeat terrorist groups.
- Taiwan, China cannot afford conflict: Soong CNA 23 Dec 2015 -- Taiwan should push for participation in the regional economic integration in a pragmatic manner, using cross-strait detente as leverage, as neither Taiwan nor China can afford a conflict, People First Party presidential candidate James Soong (宋楚瑜) said Wednesday.
- 200,000 Kurds Fleeing Turkey Amid Increased Violence – German Media Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- Europe may soon face a new wave of migrants. About 200,000 Kurds are fleeing from the southeastern parts of Turkey amid armed clashes in the region, German newspaper Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten (DWN) reported.
- Ukraine, Separatists Agree To Cease-Fire During Holidays RFE/RL 23 Dec 2015 -- Ukraine has reached an agreement with Russia-backed separatists for a truce during the Christmas and New Year holidays that went into effect at midnight on December 22.
- Central African Republic: ICC Prosecutor warns against election-related violence, atrocity crimes UN News 23 Dec 2015 -- As the Central African Republic (CAR) prepares for general elections, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said today that her Office will record any instance of violence and that anyone committing atrocity crimes will be held accountable.
- Burundi rebels set up force to topple president Press TV 23 Dec 2015 -- Rebels in Burundi have established a force in an attempt to oust President Pierre Nkurunziza amid escalating violence gripping the African country.
- Burundi should allow in investigators, says UN adviser on preventing genocide UN News 23 Dec 2015 -- The United Nations Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide, Adama Dieng, has called on the Government of Burundi to allow an independent team to investigate "seriously" whether external elements are involved in alleged atrocities in the central African nation, saying "it is key that impunity no longer prevails in Burundi."
- Burundi Rejects AU Force Deployment VOA 23 Dec 2015 -- Burundi has rejected a 5,000 member peacekeeping mission the African Union said last week it would send to the country amid fears it is sliding back towards civil war.
- CAR Voters Set to Elect President - If Polls Take Place VOA 23 Dec 2015 -- National elections in the Central African Republic appeared to be in jeopardy Wednesday, as the country's election authority said time was short to organize the vote.
- Swine flu outbreak claims two more Iranian lives Press TV 23 Dec 2015 -- Two more Iranians have lost their lives after contracting the killer H1N1 flu virus, bringing the total death toll from swine flu to 51 in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|