14 December 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 14 Dec 2015 [PDF]
- Remarks by the President on the Military Campaign to Destroy ISIL The White House 14 Dec 2015
- Obama: ISIL Being Hit 'Harder Than Ever,' Will Be Defeated AFPS 14 Dec 2015 -- The coalition fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is hitting ISIL targets "harder than ever" and will defeat the terror group, President Barack Obama said today.
- Obama to Americans: Islamic State is Losing Ground VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- President Barack said Monday that he is 'confident' the U.S.-led coalition will prevail in its battle against the Islamic State, adding that the militant group is losing ground and its leaders have no place to hide.
- Obama Underscores 'Great Sense of Urgency' in IS Fight VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says the U.S.-led coalition is moving 'with a great sense of urgency' targeting Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, surgically and with precision to take out the group.
- Obama: US-led coalition squeezing heart of ISIL Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- President Barack Obama has said the US-led coalition is hitting the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group "harder than ever."
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Special Forces in Syria Began Supporting Local Groups Against Daesh Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- The US President Barack Obama announced Monday, that the country's special forces began supporting military groups in Syria in the fight against terrorists.
- In Kabul, UN political chief pledges continued support for Afghanistan UN News 14 Dec 2015 -- During a trip to Kabul, the top United Nations political official pledged continued support to the Government and people of Afghanistan as they face several challenges, especially in the economy and in security.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter En Route to Incirlik, Turkey DoD 14 Dec 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Legacy, 5th-generation aircraft unite at Checkered Flag AFNS 14 Dec 2015 -- Checkered Flag 16-1, a large-force exercise which gives a large number of legacy and fifth-generation aircraft the chance to practice combat training together, started here Dec. 10.
- DoD Extends Technological, Operational Edge Into the Future AFPS 14 Dec 2015 -- The Defense Department’s civilian and military leadership is pursuing a significant and enduring effort to extend its military, technological and operational edge well into the future, Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work said today.
- Dunford Discusses Implications of Current Security Environment AFPS 14 Dec 2015 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff discussed his short-term priority – defeating the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – and provided insight into his long-term goals during a talk at the Center for a New American Security here today.
- Future USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114) Launched NNS 14 Dec 2015 -- The future USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114) was launched at the Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) shipyard Dec. 12.
- Gonzalez Completes Passing Exercise with Turkish Navy NNS 14 Dec 2015 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Gonzalez (DDG 66) participated in a passing exercise (PASSEX) with the Turkish Navy Dec. 11.
- USS Gravely Enters U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 14 Dec 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Gravely (DDG 107) and embarked detachment Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 72, transited the Suez Canal Dec. 13, entering the 5th Fleet area of responsibility.
- 2,500th C-130 lands at Moody AFNS 14 Dec 2015 -- Fifty-nine years after the first C-130 Hercules was delivered to the Air Force, the 2,500th Lockheed Martin Corp. manufactured C-130 joined the 71st Rescue Squadron's fleet and legacy here Dec. 11.
- 15th MEU returns from 7-month deployment USMC News 14 Dec 2015 -- Elements of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit will begin returning to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif. and Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif. throughout the weekend from a seven-month deployment to the Western Pacific and Central Command areas of responsibility.
- 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade participated in exercise Yama Sakura USMC News 14 Dec 2015 -- Marines and sailors from 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade worked alongside their counterparts from the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force Army Dec. 1-11, 2015 to conduct exercise Yama Sakura 69.
- 13th MEU Combat Cargo sets the record straight USMC News 14 Dec 2015 -- During the Boxer Amphibious Ready Group and 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit's Certification Exercise - the final stepping stone before deployment into the Pacific and Central areas of operation - dozens of Marines and sailors are moving ship-to-ship, ship-to-shore and back again every day to support mission essential tasks like non-combatant evacuations, airfield seizures and more.
- Adding lightning to Steel Knight USMC News 14 Dec 2015 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 and Marine Operational and Test Evaluation Squadron 22 performed the first ever expeditionary test of the F-35B Lightning II during Exercise Steel Knight at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California, Dec. 10, 2015.
- 13th MEU Marines train for noncombatant evacuation USMC News 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. Marines and sailors with the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, simulated evacuating more than 400 U.S. citizens to Los Alamitos Airport during a noncombatant evacuation as part of Certification Exercise, Dec. 8, 2015.
- Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group Enters 5th Fleet NNS 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. carrier-based naval aviation returned to the region Dec. 14, as the ships and embarked squadrons of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) completed a transit through the Suez Canal and entered U.S. 5th Fleet's area of operations.
- USS McFaul Returns from Eight-Month Deployment NNS 14 Dec 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS McFaul (DDG 74) returned to her Norfolk, Virginia, homeport Dec. 14, after completing an eight-month deployment that spanned the U.S. 4th, 5th and 6th Fleet areas of responsibility.
- Final Ship of Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group Returns Home NNS 14 Dec 2015 -- The guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60), of the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TRCSG), is scheduled to return to Norfolk, Dec. 12, following a nine-and-a-half-month deployment that took the crew around the world.
- NATO's Anti-Russia Policy, Anti-Missile Shield Threaten Balance - Moscow Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- NATO's increased military activity globally threatens to further upset the balance of powers and escalate simmering conflicts, Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Gen. Valery Gerasimov said Monday.
- Defense at all Costs? Lithuania Mulls Mid-Range Air Defense System Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- Lithuania is considering purchasing mobile medium-range air defense systems from Norway and the US, local media reported on Monday.
- Russia Successfully Tests Underwater Drone in Atlantic Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- A Russia-made autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) named Rus has successfully dived below a 6-kilometer (3.7-mile) mark in the central Atlantic Ocean, the Russian Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Russian Submarine Returns From Mediterranean After Syria Operation Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- According to the Black Sea Fleet spokesman, Russia's submarine has successfully passed the Dardanelles and the Bosphorus.
- Russia, China to Finalize Satellite Navigation Chip Set Deal by Year-End Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- Russia and China will finalize an agreement to establish two joint ventures to develop, manufacture and sell new satellite navigation devices.
- Chinese Navy fleet visits Pearl Harbor People's Daily 14 Dec 2015 -- A Chinese Navy fleet arrived here on Sunday morning for a five-day friendly visit.
- US expected to sell guided missile frigates to Taiwan: Source Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- The White house is said to be authorizing sale of guided missile frigates to Taiwan as soon as this week, congressional sources tell Reuters as tensions soar in the South China Sea, whose sovereignty is claimed by Beijing.
- Israel asks for another squadron of US F-35 fighter jets Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Israel seeks to obtain another squadron of America's fifth-generation aircraft, the F-35 fighter jet, as negotiations are underway between Washington and Tel Aviv to expand the regime's military capabilities.
- Iran seeks signing agreement with China on naval cooperation ISNA 14 Dec 2015 -- Iran and China are seeking a naval cooperation agreement.
- Rolls-Royce sub business to be nationalized Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- British media reported on Monday that the government of Prime Minister David Cameron will consider nationalizing a crucial section of Rolls-Royce's submarine business.
- Third Astute submarine formally handed over to the Royal Navy UK MOD 14 Dec 2015 -- The third of the new Astute Class attack submarines, Artful, has officially been handed over to the Royal Navy.
- Dredging project paves way for new QEC Carriers to make their home in Portsmouth UK MOD 14 Dec 2015 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has today visited Her Majesty's Naval Base Portsmouth to view the preparations to ready the city to become the base port of the brand new Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers in early 2017.
- Kerry to Focus on Syria, Ukraine During Russia Trip VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will use a visit to Russia to frame the next meeting of the International Syria Support Group, which is expected to take place Friday in New York, a senior State Department official said.
- December 14, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 14 Dec 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for December 14, 2015
- Best Sellers: Russian-Made Weapons Hit Record 50% Sales Growth Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- In 2014, Russian defense companies increased their sales by nearly 50 percent, accounting for 10.2 percent of the entire global market.
- Grandstanding Cannot Cover up Illegal Moves People's Daily 14 Dec 2015 -- Op-ed I on the Philippines' South China Sea Arbitration Farce
- Top Saudi, Emirati commanders killed in Yemen Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Two senior Saudi and Emirati army commanders have been killed in fighting with the Houthi Ansarullah fighters in Yemen.
- France Urges Ankara to Set 'Tighter Control' Along Turkey-Syria Border Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- Turkey should play a more central role in solving the Syrian crisis, in particular by tightening the border control to limit the movement of foreign fighters into the war-torn country, French Secretary of State for European Affairs Harlem Desir said.
- Syria forces liberate airbase in Damascus suburb Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Syrian forces have liberated a major military airbase in a suburb of the capital, Damascus.
- Washington Looking for 'Volunteer Armies to Hit the Ground in Syria' Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- The Russian offensive in Syria requires the support of ground forces to achieve ultimate success in the fight against Daesh terrorists, DWN wrote. However, Russia and the United States consider the deployment of their troops to the region too risky.
- Syrian Army Liberates Military Airbase Near Damascus Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian army, backed by local militia forces, has regained control over the Mardj-al-Sultan military airbase outside Damascus, a source in the militia told RIA Novosti Monday.
- Syrian Army Inflicts Heavy Losses on Daesh, Al-Nusra in Aleppo Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) carried out numerous operations across the country, killing terrorist leaders and destroying militant infrastructure, including in the provinces of Aleppo, Homs, Hama and Idlib, the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported, citing unnamed military sources.
- Syria crisis a 'blot on our collective conscience' UN relief chief says, urging sustained aid access, funding UN News 14 Dec 2015 -- Speaking from Damascus today, the top United Nations relief official said the situation in Syria is "unacceptable," with nearly 13.5 million Syrians in need for some form of assistance, and he urged the international community to generously support the UN's $3.2 billion humanitarian operations plan for the war-torn country.
- UN agencies relaunch winter aid programme to support vulnerable Syrian children in Jordan UN News 14 Dec 2015 -- As the harsh winter approaches Jordan, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) launched the winter cash assistance programme again, that will allow vulnerable Syrian families in Za'atari and Azraq camps to buy warm winter clothing for all their children.
- Intense Fighting, Other Obstacles Jeopardize Syria Peace Chances VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- The diplomatic pace to try to shape a political solution to the long-running war in Syria will pick up this week, with the French government hosting Western and Mideast foreign ministers Monday in Paris and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry meeting Russia's President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday in Moscow.
- Some Turkish troops leaving Iraq's Bashiqa camp: Source Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Some Turkish troops deployed in northern Iraq are leaving the Bashiqa camp, heading north to a yet unknown destination as part of a "new arrangement," a military source says.
- Iraq sovereignty, red line that must not be crossed: Foreign minister Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari has condemned the recent deployment of Turkish troops to northern Iraq, stressing that the sovereignty of Iraq is "a red line that must not be crossed."
- Ankara Sends Reinforcements to Its Military in Iraq, Decides to Stay Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- Turkey's prime minister said that Ankara had taken measures 'against attacks' on the Bashik camp in Iraq and said that the legitimacy of Turkish military presence there was 'not under discussion'.
- Daesh pushing deeper in Libya for oil: French minister Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- France has warned about the spillover of terrorist acts by the Daesh extremist group from its stronghold on Libya's coast deeper into the embattled country in a bid to gain access to oil reserves.
- Rohingya refugees vanish from Indonesia IRIN 14 Dec 2015 -- Hundreds of Rohingya refugees have vanished from camps in the northern reaches of the Indonesian island of Sumatra in recent months, raising concerns that they are once again turning to dangerous smuggling rings in a bid to reach Malaysia.
- Nigerian Army Attacks Shiite Muslim Group VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- Nigerian army troops shot and killed members of a Shiite Muslim group during the weekend, after the group allegedly attacked the convoy of Nigeria's army chief.
- South Sudan Military Ordered to Shoot Down Planes VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- South Sudan's military has ordered the shoot down of any airplane or helicopter flying into the country's airspace without the knowledge of the government. The order was reportedly given by General Paul Malong Awan, chief of staff of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), the military forces of the government in Juba.
- India to Raise Kashmir Dispute in Talks With Pakistan VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- A senior Indian diplomat says the Pakistan-ruled portion of the divided Kashmir region has been under "illegal occupation" of the neighboring country's army, and New Delhi will raise the issue, as it has always done, when bilateral peace talks are resu
- Referendum held in much of Central African Republic despite disruptions - UN peacekeeping chief UN News 14 Dec 2015 -- A constitutional referendum meant to help stabilize the Central African Republic (CAR) amid conflict between Muslim and Christian factions took place successfully in the majority of the country yesterday, but violent "spoilers" disrupted the process in some areas, the top United Nations peacekeeping official reported today. med.
- Still no proof of terror attack in Russian plane crash of October: Egypt Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Egyptian authorities have reiterated that there is no evidence to support Moscow's argument that a "terrorist" attack led to the crash of a Russian passenger plane in the volatile Sinai Peninsula in October.
- Egypt: No Evidence Terrorism Caused Russian Plane Crash VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- Egypt issued a preliminary report Monday saying its investigators have found no evidence of terrorism in the October 31 crash of a Russian plane in the Sinai Peninsula that killed 224 people.
- France Hosts Ministerial Talks on IS VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is joining foreign ministers from European and Arab nations Monday in Paris for the latest talks on the battle against Islamic State and efforts to foster a political resolution to the situation in Syria.
- Burundi Generals' Trial Begins Over Alleged Involvement in Coup Attempt VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- More than two dozen senior military and police officials in Burundi have gone on trial for their alleged involvement in a failed coup attempt to oust President Pierre Nkurunziza.
- Israel dismisses Turkey moves for normalization of ties: Report Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- The Israeli regime has reportedly dismissed Turkey's moves for normalization of relations, saying Tel Aviv will not make any more concessions to return ties back to normal with "isolated Turks."
- Su-24 Incident Should Not Spoil Turkey-Russia Relations - Erdogan Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- Relations between Russia and Turkey should not suffer because of the incident involving the Russian Su-24, downed by a Turkish jet, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday.
- Turkey Looking to End Russian Gas Dependence VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- A Russian warship firing warning shots against a Turkish fishing boat Sunday was the latest sign bilateral tensions continue to grow. But a potentially more significant sign of a permanent change in relations is Ankara's effort to end its dependency on Russian natural gas. But such energy diversification carries economic and political challenges.
- Iran to release technical nuclear statement to be registered UN document IRNA 14 Dec 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Monday that Iran will release a technical statement to be registered as the United Nations document after IAEA Board of Governors adopts resolution on Iran on December 15.
- Sending Iran's uranium to Kazakhstan, part of Iran, P5+1 agreement ISNA 14 Dec 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jabber-Ansari said transferring Iran's uranium to Kazakhstan is one of the agreements between Iran and P5+1.
- IAEA board expected to pass 'PMD' resolution overwhelmingly: Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)'s Board of Governors is very likely to endorse by consensus a draft resolution about the past and present outstanding issues regarding Iran's nuclear program, the Iranian ambassador to the IAEA says.
- Iran to take action if finds US visa legislation in breach of JCPOA: Araqchi Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian official says Tehran will take action if it finds that the recent bill by the US House of Representatives on tightening visa-free travel to the United States runs counter to the recent nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group.
- Seoul Poised to Enhance Posture Against Pyongyang 'Threats' Sputnik 14 Dec 2015 -- South Korea intends to enhance its ability and readiness to respond decisively to any provocations and threats emanating from the North next year, the South Korean Ministry of National Defense said Monday.
- Mystery, Mistrust Mark North Korea Outreach Failure VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- Two North Korean diplomatic initiatives to reach out to its neighbors ended abruptly this weekend when inter-Korean talks concluded with no agreements and an all-female band performance in China was suddenly cancelled.
- Azerbaijan sets up two new security services Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- Azerbaijan has set up the State Security Service and the Foreign Intelligence Service amid tightening security conditions in the country.
- Kremlin Critic Rejects Prosecutor's Claims About Opposition Video RFE/RL 14 Dec 2015 -- A major Western investor turned Kremlin critic, William Browder, has rejected Russian Prosecutor-General Yuri Chaika's claim that he was behind the production of an online video that accuses Chaika and his family of corruption.
- Violence, Need for Dialogue Rise in Burundi VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- Some normalcy has returned to Burundi's capital of Bujumbura since the fighting began Friday.
- Obama Wants to Visit Cuba VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he wants to visit Cuba during his last year in office, but only if he can talk with dissidents opposed to the regime of Cuban President Raul Castro.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|