28 November 2015 Military News
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 28 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan Works to Determine Fate of Missing Soldiers VOA 28 Nov 2015 -- Authorities in Afghanistan remain clueless about the fate of 18 people, mostly soldiers, who were taken captive by Taliban insurgents earlier this week after their helicopter crash-landed in a volatile northern region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- EOD techs conduct post-blast analysis training AFNS 28 Nov 2015 -- After an explosion, when the smoke settles and the blaze has been contained, a new mission begins. Like a puzzle, shrapnel blasted in every direction can be pieced together to uncover the mode of detonation. Explosive ordnance disposal Airmen assigned to the 1st Special Operations Civil Engineer Squadron are trained to do just that.
- Pro-Russian Parties Seek To Derail Montenegro's NATO Bid RFE/RL 28 Nov 2015 -- Pro-Russian parties in Montenegro are stoking unrest in Montenegro in an apparent bid to sabotage Podgorica's hopes of receiving an invitation from NATO next week to join the alliance.
- Russia's Gepard Nuclear Sub Returns to Northern Fleet After Servicing Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- The nuclear-powered attack submarine will undergo a naval combat training course shortly.
- Japan Rules Out Joining US-Led Anti-ISIL Coalition - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Japan does not intend to join a military campaign conducted by the US-led coalition against ISIL.
- Japanese Military Scrambles F-15 Jets After Chinese Planes Fly Near Okinawa Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Japan scrambled military jets after 11 Chinese military planes flew near Okinawa Island during a drill, a report said Saturday.
- China's New Hypersonic Weapon Capable of Defeating US Air Defense System Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- China successfully conducted a sixth flight test of its DF-ZF (previously known as WU-14) hypersonic glide vehicle (HGV) designed to defeat US missile defenses.
- North Korea Fails to Launch Ballistic Missile From Submarine Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- North Korea attempted to fire a ballistic missile from a submarine, but the launch failed, local media reported Saturday.
- Commander: Iran Navy guarantees maritime security, economy IRNA 28 Nov 2015 -- Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Saturday that Navy guarantees maritime security and economy security for merchant ships in line with the International Law of Sea.
- Senior navy commander: Building naval systems indigenized in Iran IRNA 28 Nov 2015 -- Commander of the Iranian Navy's Missile Program Rear Admiral Ali Vafadar announced that the country is able to meet all its needs in manufacturing naval equipment.
- Iran Navy prepared to strongly repel threats: Cmdr. ISNA 28 Nov 2015 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the country's naval forces are prepared to strongly counter any threat against the country.
- Iran Navy plans to build more advanced destroyers: Cmdr. Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the country's naval forces plan to build more advanced destroyers to boost the Islamic Republic's defense capabilities.
- Philippines Gets 2 New Fighter Jets Amid S. China Sea Tensions VOA 28 Nov 2015 -- The Philippines received two new fighter jets from South Korea Saturday, marking what the military calls a "return to the supersonic jet age."
- Slovakia to Send Military Experts to Mali After France's Request Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- The Slovak government approved on Friday its military experts' participation in the European Union Training Mission (EUTM) in Mali, in response to a request from France, the Slovak Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- Fresh Saudi strikes kill dozen Yemeni civilians, injures 13 Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- At least a dozen civilians have lost their lives in a new round of Saudi aerial assaults against Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- 'ISIL Earned $800Mln From Selling Iraqi Oil, Gas on Turkish Black Market' Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Security agencies estimate that the Islamic State terrorist group has gained some $800 million in revenues from selling smuggled Iraqi oil and gas on Turkey's black market over the past eight months, the leader of the State of Law Coalition party in the Iraqi parliament told Sputnik on Saturday.
- Russia has right to military response to Turkey's 'criminal act': Duma chairman People's Daily 28 Nov 2015 -- The shootdown of a Russian warplane by Turkish fighters was 'a criminal act' committed by Ankara, and Russia has the right to a military response, a top Russian official said here Friday.
- Erdogan 'Disappointed' Over Attack on Russian Su-24 Bomber Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday he was greatly disappointed over the downing of a Russian Su-24 plane and expressed hope that this would not happen again in the future.
- Turkish president 'sad' about Russia plane downing Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has expressed "sadness" over a recent move by Turkey's military to shoot down a Russian fighter jet near the Syrian border.
- Iranian General Soleimani Supervised Operation to Save Russian Su-24 Pilot Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- The pilot of the downed Russian Su-24 bomber was saved in a joint rescue operation supervised by the commander of Iran's elite Quds Force of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution, Major General Qasem Soleimani.
- Iran General supervised operation to save Russian Su-24 pilot IRNA 28 Nov 2015 -- The pilot of the downed Russian Su-24 bomber was rescued in a joint operation supervised by the commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Qods Force Major General Qassem Soleimani.
- US says Russia did not inform it of downed jet plan Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- American officials have denied that the Russian military had given the details of its downed jet's flight plan to the Pentagon before the aircraft was shot down by Turkey inside Syrian territory.
- Turkey arms supplies to Syria militants increased: Syrian army Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- Syria's military says Ankara has recently increased its supplies of weapons, ammunition and equipment to militant groups fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Syrian army gaining ground against Daesh east of Aleppo Province Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian military has made advances against Daesh Takfiri militants in the east of Aleppo Province, Syrian state TV reports.
- US Pressing Turkey to Seal Border With Syria to Weaken Islamic State Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Washington is asking Turkey to seal the border with Syria with additional troops in order to cut off key transit routes of the Islamic State militant group, The Wall Street Journal reports.
- Syrian Army Fired Upon by Mortars From Turkish Territory - Spokesman Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Turkey fired a number of mortar bombs toward Syrian army positions, the Syrian army spokesman said Saturday.
- Syrian Army, Russian Warplanes Press ISIL, al-Nusra Front in Key Provinces Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Assisted by Russian forces, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) has made impressive progress in the past 24 hours destroying ISIL, al-Nusra Front and other militant targets in the key provinces of Idlib, Latakia, Daraa, Sweida, Homs, Aleppo and Damascus, Fars News reported.
- Boko Haram claims responsibility for attack on Shias Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- The Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group has claimed responsibility for a fatal bomb blast targeting Muslims during a Shia religious procession at a mosque near Kano city in northern Nigeria.
- Boko Haram Claims Responsibility for Nigerian Suicide Blast VOA 28 Nov 2015 -- The Islamic State-linked militant group Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in northern Nigeria that killed at least 22 people marching Friday in a procession of Shi'ite pilgrims.
- North and South Koreas to Hold High-level Talk Next Month People's Daily 28 Nov 2015 -- The two Koreas have announced plans to hold a senior level meeting next month.
- NSA replaces bulk phone spying program with new surveillance Press TV 28 Nov 2015 -- The US National Security Agency (NSA) is set to replace its massive snooping program with new surveillance measures on Sunday.
- US Ending Bulk Telephone Data Program VOA 28 Nov 2015 -- The U.S. federal government will end its bulk collection of data from the telephone calls of millions of Americans at midnight Saturday.
- Putin Orders Sanctions Against Turkey RFE/RL 28 Nov 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered economic sanctions against Turkey over the shooting down of a Russian military jet near the Syrian border on November 24.
- Russia's Putin Orders Sanctions Against Turkey VOA 28 Nov 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin called Saturday for economic sanctions against Turkey, four days after its air force shot down a Russian fighter jet near the Turkey-Syria border.
- Russia Imposes Economic Restrictions Against Turkey After Downing of Su-24 Sputnik 28 Nov 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Saturday to boost national security and introduce economic measures against Turkey, the Kremlin press service said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|