21 November 2015 Military News
- Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 21 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Combined Factors Create Momentum Against ISIL, Centcom Spokesman Says AFPS 21 Nov 2015 -- While U.S.-led coalition airstrikes enable local ground forces to push back Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant extremists in Iraq and Syria, a combination of factors has recently become been critical in the campaign, U.S. Central Command spokesman Air Force Col. Patrick Ryder said yesterday.
- Afghan Probe Faults Leaders, Militias for Kunduz Battle VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- A government-appointed fact-finding commission in Afghanistan has blamed leadership failure at the central and provincial levels, along with presence of illegal militias, and flaws in judicial and security institutions for the short-lived fall of the key northern city of Kunduz to the Taliban in September.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Deputy Secretary, Defense Leaders Discuss International Security at Halifax Forum AFPS 21 Nov 2015 -- The global meeting held here every year, the Halifax International Security Forum, draws 300 people from 60 countries and this year focused its attention on threats to democracy.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Bob Work's Visit to Halifax, Nova Scotia DoD 21 Nov 2015
- Baltic Leaders Balk At Anti-IS Coalition With Russia RFE/RL 21 Nov 2015 -- The presidents of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania have said their countries will not participate in any antiterrorism coalition if it includes neighboring Russia.
- Russian Navy Testing Advanced Stealthy Frigate Sputnik 21 Nov 2015 -- Russia is continuing tests of an advanced frigate totally invisible to radar. A series of warships of this class are expected to be built for the Russian Navy, assistant Navy commander-in-chief Andrei Surov said.
- Russia's Tu-95 Bomber Upgraded to Carry New Nuclear-Tipped Missiles Sputnik 21 Nov 2015 -- Russia's Aviakor aviation factory has delivered to the Russian Aerospace Forces the first modernized Tu-95MSM strategic bomber/missile carrier, the company's press office reported.
- 'Bear's Newest Claws': Russia Unleashes Bigger, Better Missile on ISIL Sputnik 21 Nov 2015 -- Experts across the world seem to be impressed by the latest addition to Russia's war arsenal – the Kh-101 cruise missile, which has been spotted in footage released by the Russian Ministry of Defense earlier this week.
- Iranian Exercise Simulates Attack On Jerusalem Mosque RFE/RL 21 Nov 2015 -- Iranian media are reporting that thousands of Basij paramilitary troops have participated in an exercise simulating an attack on the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.
- China to be Vigilant against Japan's Interference in South China Sea: FM People's Daily 21 Nov 2015 -- China will be vigilant against Japan's interference in the South China Sea issue, its military return to the South China Sea in particular, said Foreign Ministry of China's spokesperson Hong Lei during the regular press conference on November 20, 2015.
- Top Iranian commander calls for 'genuine campaign' against Daesh Press TV 21 Nov 2015 -- A top Iranian military commander has hailed Russia's 'genuine' campaign against Daesh Takfiri terrorists operating in Syria, calling on world powers to follow Moscow's suit in fighting the terror group.
- Brussels Under Highest Security Alert Amid Fears Of 'Paris-Like' Attack RFE/RL 21 Nov 2015 -- The Belgian capital, Brussels, is under its highest security alert - 'imminent threat' - because of 'quite precise information about the risk of an attack like the one that happened in Paris,' the country's prime minister says.
- Brussels at Highest Terror Alert After 'Precise' Attack Information VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- Heavily armed security forces patrolled the streets and subways were closed in Belgium's capital Saturday, as the government warned of a risk of attacks similar to the multiple terrorist actions in Paris that killed 130 people eight days ago.
- President Xi condemns Mali hotel attack, vows intl anti-terrorism co-op People's Daily 21 Nov 2015 -- Just one week after the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris, the Brussels region, which houses the headquarters of the European Union (EU), raised Saturday the terror threat level to 'maximum.'
- Obama: Mali Hotel Attack Stiffens US Resolve to Combat Terrorism VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has condemned what he called the 'appalling' terrorist attack at a hotel in the capital of Mali that left at least 21 people dead, and he vowed "relentless" pursuit of the killers.
- Two terrorist teams arrested by Intelligence Ministry Press TV 21 Nov 2015 -- Intelligence officers arrested two terrorist teams in eastern and northwestern border areas in addition to seizure of considerable amount of explosives, weapons and ammunition, Intelligence Ministry said on Saturday.
- Obama: Stricter Refugee Process No Safer VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama reiterated his opposition Sunday to calls for increasing barriers for accepting Iraqi and Syrian refugees that he said would not make the country any safer and effectively end the refugee program 'for people who desperately need it.'
- Background Briefing Previewing Secretary Kerry's Trip to Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Ramallah US Dept. of State 21 Nov 2015
- US Hails ASEAN as 'Force of Stability, Prosperity, Peace' VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- The United States has strengthened ties with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), which President Barack Obama said should play a leadership role in the region in the years ahead.
- Document for modernization of Arak reactor robust: AEOI Press TV 21 Nov 2015 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the Islamic Republic has struck 'a robust' deal with the P5+1 group of countries on the modernization of the Arak reactor.
- NASA Gives SpaceX Company 1st Mission Order to International Space Station Sputnik 21 Nov 2015 -- The first mission order has been submitted to SpaceX to ferry US astronauts to ISS.
- The NSA is Still Spying on Your Email, Even After Saying It Had Stopped Sputnik 21 Nov 2015 -- When the NSA was caught collecting Americans' email data in 2013, the agency said it had already shut down the program two years earlier. In reality, it stopped in name only, according to newly disclosed documents.
- Former South Korean President Kim Young-Sam Dies at 87 VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- Former South Korean President Kim Young-sam, who in the 1990s formally ended decades of military rule in his homeland, died early Sunday. He was 87.
- Poroshenko Hails EU Parliaments' Ratification Of Association Agreement RFE/RL 21 Nov 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says the parliaments of all European Union member states have completed the process of ratifying the bloc's Association Agreement with Ukraine.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|