15 November 2015 Military News
- U.S., Coalition Continue Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- French warplanes pound Daesh positions in Syria's Raqqah Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- French fighter jets have pounded positions belonging to the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in its de facto capital, al-Raqqah, destroying a training camp and a command post in the northern Syrian city, France's defense ministry says.
- French Fighter Jets Hit IS Targets in Syria VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- French fighter jets have launched massive airstrikes against the Islamic State (IS) stronghold of Raqqa, reportedly destroying a command post and a training camp.
- Larijani: Afghan security has direct impact on regional security IRNA 15 Nov 2015 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday that Afghan security has direct impact on security of the neighboring countries.
- Dozen killed in US drone strike in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- Afghan authorities say at least twelve people have lost their lives in a US drone strike in the Asian country's troubled eastern province of Nangarhar, Press TV reports.
- Afghan Official: Over 1,300 Foreign Fighters in Kunduz Battle VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- A top government official in Afghanistan revealed more than 1,300 foreign fighters linked to various regional and international terrorist groups had participated in the recent battle for control of northern city of Kunduz.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfers Announced DoD 15 Nov 2015 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Ali Ahmad Muhammad al-Razihi, Khalid Abd-al-Jabbar Muhammad Uthman al-Qadasi, Adil Said al-Hajj Ubayd al-Busays, Sulayman Awad Bin Uqayl al-Nahdi, and Fahmi Salem Said al-Asani from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of the United Arab Emirates.
- Marines activate historic 5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade, 'The right force, right now' USMC News 15 Nov 2015 -- More than 100 Marines, sailors and guests witnessed a historic ceremony aboard Naval Support Activity Bahrain, Oct. 15, 2015, when Command Element U.S. Marine Corps Forces Central Command Forward deactivated and opened a new chapter in the proud history and legacy of the 5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Call with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian DoD 15 Nov 2015
- Pakistan Military Chief to Visit US VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- Pakistan's military chief General Raheel Sharif is to begin a crucial five-day visit to the United States on Monday. Officials say that "pressing issues" such as regional counterterrorism and Afghan peace efforts will top the agenda of the meetings with top American officials.
- Turkey kills missile system deal with China manufacturer Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- Turkey has rescinded a contract with a state-owned Chinese manufacturer that would have seen the company build Ankara its first long-range missile defense system.
- Saudi aerial attack on mosque kills Yemeni civilian Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- In their latest attacks on Yemen, Saudi fighter jets have bombed a mosque in the northern Sa'ada Province, killing at least one civilian.
- Yemen's Ansarullah, army make gains in south Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- Yemeni forces have gained more ground in their fight against militants loyal to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, in the southern part of the country.
- Only al-Assad can decide about his presence in upcoming Syrian elections, says Iran ISNA 15 Nov 2015 -- Iranian deputy foreign minister reiterated that only Syrians can decide about the future of their country and elect their own president.
- Syrian army recaptures strategic Latakia areas Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian army has regained control over a number of strategic areas in the northwestern Latakia Province in its fight against Daesh terrorists.
- Several Takfiri militants killed in Syria's counter-terror operations Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- Syrian armed forces continue their anti-terror operations across the country, killing a number of Takfiri militants during their advances.
- Syrian air force conducts 151 sorties, hits 323 militant targets Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian Air Force has conducted 151 sorties targeting 323 terrorist strongholds across the country over the past 48 hours demolishing seven Daesh command centers in the eastern outskirts of the major city of Homs.
- Obama, Putin Agree on Need for Syrian Transition VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- The U.S. says that President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed Sunday on the need for a Syrian-led political transition, UN-mediated negotiations and a cease-fire to end the four-year civil war in the Middle East nation.
- What We Know About Islamic State, Its Deadly Reach VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- The group behind the horrifying attacks in Paris has been spreading death and destruction in large parts of Iraq and Syria since 2013. The group, known alternately as Islamic State, ISIS, ISIL and Daesh, has become notorious for its brutality, including mass killings, abductions and beheadings.
- Identified Paris Terrorist Had Security Profile VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- French police have named the first of seven dead terrorists who carried out three deadly simultaneous attacks Friday across Paris. One of them – a 29-year-old French national – was a known petty criminal who was radicalized five years ago, officials say.
- Paris Attacks Raise Questions About US Security VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- Horrific terrorist carnage in Paris has refocused Washington's attention on the Islamic State (IS) group and its ambition to strike within the United States.
- OIC condemns Paris attacks, urges joint action on terrorism Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- The world's top Muslim body has condemned the recent deadly attacks in Paris, calling for joint action against the scourge of terrorism.
- French Police Issue Arrest Warrant For Suspect In Paris Attacks RFE/RL 15 Nov 2015 -- Police investigating a wave of terror attacks in Paris have issued an international arrest warant for a man they believe might have helped organize the deadly assaults with two of his brothers in Belgium.
- Paris Suicide Bomber Used Bogus Syrian Passport to Reach France - Reports Sputnik 15 Nov 2015 -- Intelligence officials have reported that a Syrian passport belonging to one of the eight terrorists who carried out the Paris attacks was a fake, which was made in Turkey and then used for passage through Europe.
- Iraq shares intelligence on militants terror attacks: FM Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Ja'afari says Baghdad has shared intelligence on the risk of militant attacks on France, the United States and Iran.
- Nasrallah Denounces Paris Attacks, Vows to Counter Beirut Terrorist Acts Sputnik 15 Nov 2015 -- Hassan Nasrallah, the Hezbollah leader, has slammed the Paris attacks and promised to strike back against those behind the tragedy which took place in both the French and Lebanese capitals earlier this week.
- Obama at G-20: US to 'Redouble' IS Fight After Paris Attacks VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has vowed to help France in "hunting down the perpetrators" of Friday's Paris attacks and said he plans to 'redouble' efforts to eliminate the Islamic State group, known in Arabic as Daesh.
- Obama pledges to "redouble efforts" to eliminate Daesh terrorist group Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- US president Barack Obama and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have vowed to intensify efforts to wipe out the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group even as they face criticism for backing terrorist networks in Syria.
- G20 Leaders Gather In Turkey, To Discuss Fight Against Terror RFE/RL 15 Nov 2015 -- World leaders are gathering in southern Turkey on November 15 for a summit of the Group of 20 (G20) major economies expected to focus on the fight against terrorism.
- At G20 Summit, Ban says response to terrorism 'needs to be robust, always within rule of law' UN News 15 Nov 2015 -- While the G20 Summit opened today in the Turkish city Antalya, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he will stress to world leaders that the global response to terrorism needs to be robust, but always within the rule of law and with respect for human rights.
- 4 Turkish policemen injured in Daesh bombing, report says Press TV 15 Nov 2015 -- A militant with the Daesh Takfiri terror group has injured four Turkish policemen in a blast in the southeastern part of the country, near the border with Syria.
- Outgoing Myanmar President: Election Results Will be Honored VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- Myanmar President Thein Sein is promising a smooth transition to a new government, in an attempt to remove fears the military will once again ignore the results of a free election.
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi Opens Talks With Former Military Foes VOA 15 Nov 2015 -- Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi - whose National League for Democracy party swept to a resounding victory in November 8 parliamentary elections - has opened talks with long-standing military foes as she prepares to form the next government.
- Zarif, Kerry discuss hold meeting on JCPOA in Vienna ISNA 15 Nov 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the manner of removing sanctions and the implementation of the United States' commitments have been discussed during a meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry.
- Iran seeks becoming enriched-uranuim sales country ISNA 15 Nov 2015 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said that the country would receive 139 tons of natural uranium in return for the 8-9 tons of its enriched uranium, and the country would keep the depleted uranium as well.
- Putin's Pioneers: Push For Russian Youth League Stirs Debate, Doubt RFE/RL 15 Nov 2015 -- As a youth growing up in Leningrad in the 1960s, Vladimir Putin was one of the few children in his school class who was not a member of the Soviet Young Pioneers. Now he seems determined not to let future generations of Russian children face such a fate.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|