02 November 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 02 Nov 2015 [PDF]
- Military Airstrikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- White House: No Combat Missions for US Troops in Syria VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- The White House says U.S. special operations troops sent to Syria will not be there to engage in raids or combat.
- U.S. Marines, Royal Danish Army instructs Iraqi soldiers in the art of warfare USMC News 02 Nov 2015 -- In the early morning as a slight drizzle evaporated on the arid landscape of Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, U.S. Marines and members of the Royal Danish Army (RDA) worked together to assist Iraqi Security Forces in the art of warfare during live-fire marksmanship training, Oct. 26.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 02 Nov 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Disturbing Footage Emerges Of 'Taliban' Stoning In Afghanistan RFE/RL 02 Nov 2015 -- RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan has obtained video footage from an eyewitness that appears to show the brutal stoning last week of a 19-year-old Afghan woman in the central province of Ghor.
- How Islamic State Got a Foothold in Eastern Afghanistan VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- Members of the Shinwari tribe in the Nangarhar province of Eastern Afghanistan – many of whom are now displaced – opened their homes earlier this year to people they thought were in need.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, South Korea Revise Agreement on Military Control VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter and his South Korean counterpart, Han Min Koo, warned North Korea that any aggression or military provocation by the isolated regime 'is not to be tolerated.'
- Joint Press Briefing by Secretary Carter and Minister Han Min-goo in Seoul, South Korea DoD 02 Nov 2015 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, South Korean Minister of Defense Han Min-goo
- 'Black Widows' arrive at Bagram for final F-16 deployment AFNS 02 Nov 2015 -- Airmen assigned to the 421st Fighter Squadron arrived Oct. 28 for its last F-16 Fighting Falcon deployment in support of Operation Freedom's Sentinel and NATO's Resolute Support mission as the unit begins to shift to a newer aircraft.
- Combat Shield ensures Strike Eagles ready for war AFNS 02 Nov 2015 -- Electronic warfare Airmen tested the radar capabilities of fighter aircraft to see if equipment is battle ready as part of the Combat Shield program from Oct. 19-23.
- Future USNS Brunswick Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 02 Nov 2015 -- Expeditionary Fast Transport (EPF) 6, the future USNS Brunswick, completed Acceptance Trials, Oct. 23.
- 13th MEU Marines evacuate embassy during COMPTUEX USMC News 02 Nov 2015 -- Marines and sailors with the Boxer Amphibious Ready Group and 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit conducted a non-combatant evacuation operation on Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, during Composite Training Unit Exercise, Oct. 26, 2015.
- CLB 26 conducts NEO training with Turkish forces USMC News 02 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Marines and sailors with Combat Logistics Battalion 26, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, conducted training for non-combatant evacuation operations with Turkish forces during Exercise Egemen 2015 Oct. 26.
- DISA Director Highlights Need for Resilient Infrastructure AFPS 02 Nov 2015 -- The Defense Information Systems Agency is looking to build a more resilient infrastructure that helps resist cyberattacks, the agency's head told an industry briefing today.
- US Seeks Renewed 'Shared Regional Architecture' With Asia-Pacific - Carter Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- The US Department of Defense needs to renew and strengthen its ties with major Asian nations in order to face a new era of growing threats, US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter said in a message from Malaysia to the Defense One summit on Washington, DC.
- Essex ARG, 15th MEU Arrive in 7th Fleet Area of Operations NNS 02 Nov 2015 -- More than 4,500 Sailors and Marines with the Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) arrived in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), Nov. 1, after departing the 5th Fleet AOR.
- USS Stout Begins Group Sail NNS 02 Nov 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Stout (DDG 55) departed Naval Station Norfolk for a routine group sail with other ships from Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 26, Oct. 29.
- Germantown, Marines Complete Blue Chromite '16 NNS 02 Nov 2015 -- The amphibious dock landing ship, USS Germantown (LSD 42) returned safely to White Beach, Okinawa, Oct. 30 after successfully completing III Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) exercise Blue Chromite (BC) 16.
- Brunei, U.S. Continue to Enhance Interoperability during CARAT 2015 NNS 02 Nov 2015 -- The 21st annual exercise Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Brunei commenced with an opening ceremony at Maura Naval Base, Nov. 2.
- Civil action team improves quality of life for Palau residents AFNS 02 Nov 2015 -- About 800 miles southwest of Guam lies a collection of small islands that make up the nation of Palau. With little contact to the outside world, approximately 18,000 residents live a life nearly untouched by time. Most Palauans live without running water and air conditioning, a considerable feat in a hot and humid climate.
- 45th Space Wing supports GPS satellite launch aboard Atlas V AFNS 02 Nov 2015 -- The 45th Space Wing supported the Air Force's 11th launch of a Boeing-built Global Positioning System IIF satellite aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V from Space Launch Complex 41 on Oct. 31.
- US ramps up military planning, training to deter Russia in Europe Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- The United States is intensifying military planning and training in Europe for a potential conflict with Russia on NATO's eastern flank, according to reports.
- Stoltenberg Calls NATO Exercises in Southern Europe a 'Warning' to Russia Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- NATO is ready to quickly deploy ground, air or navy forces if necessary. The Trident Juncture military exercise gives a clear signal to any potential opponent of NATO, including Russia, NATO's Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview with Spanish newspaper ABC.
- Serbia to Take Part in NATO Drills With Russian Weapons Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- As Serbia has signed an agreement with Moscow to buy Russian weapons, Serbian soldiers are preparing to participate in US-led NATO drills. Serbia's policy of balancing between Russia and the West is due the country's doctrine of military neutrality adopted in 2007. However, experts say that sooner or later Belgrade will have to choose a side.
- Russia to Develop Counter Measures to US Missile Defense System in Europe Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- Chief designer of the Russian 'Radio-Electronic Technology Concern' Yuri Majevski said that the enterprise is working on measures which would counter the deployment of the US anti-missile defense system in Europe.
- Russian Navy New Submarine Krasnodar to Enter Service Thursday Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- The Krasnodar, a new diesel-electric submarine, will be put into service of the Russian Navy on Thursday, Russia's Defense Ministry said in a statement on Monday.
- Russia, India Sign Military-Technical Cooperation Agreement Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- Russia and India signed a military-technical cooperation agreement.
- Russian Eastern Military District Receives Some 400 New Military Vehicles Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- The Russian Eastern Military District has been supplied with some 400 new military trucks since the beginning of the year, the Defense Ministry said in a statement on Monday.
- Russia to Deliver 11 Military Transport Helicopters to Peru by Year-End Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- Russian Helicopters, a subsidiary of the Russian state technology company Rostec, will supply Peru with 11 Mi-171Sh military transport helicopters by the end of the year, the company's press service said Monday.
- Latvia considering sending troops to Iraq: Official Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- Latvian is considering sending military personnel to Iraq on a non-combat mission to join a purported US-led military campaign against the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group, a defense official says.
- Iran, China to develop air force cooperation IRNA 02 Nov 2015 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Army Air Force Brigadier General Hassan Shahsafi and his Chinese counterpart General Ma Xiaotian on Sunday discussed expansion of mutual defense cooperation.
- Indonesia Still Mulling Russian Su-35 Fighter Jets Purchase Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- Indonesia has not yet made a final decision on the purchase of Russian Sukhoi Su-35 (Flanker-E) jets, an Indonesian Defense Ministry official said Monday.
- Australia Begins Naval Wargames With China VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- Australia has begun military exercises with China not far from the disputed artificial islands of the South China Sea. Canberra insists it is an invaluable chance to work alongside a regional neighbor, while analysts worry it could be used for propaganda purposes.
- Response to US Patrol? Beijing's Fighter Jets Hold Drills in S China Sea Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- Two fighter jets assigned to China's PLA Navy flew training missions from an airstrip located in the South China Sea after the USS Lassen entered the strategic waterway and sailed close to the archipelago, which Beijing claims as its own, South China Morning Post reported.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route Newark, New Jersey, 11/2/2015 The White House 02 Nov 2015
- November 2, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 02 Nov 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for November 02, 2015
- Germany Develops Scalable Explosive Output for Bombs, Warheads Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- A new technology which allows military forces to select the explosive output of ammunition has been developed by German company TDW, Defense Aerospace reported.
- Kalashnikov Concern Boosts Arms Sales to Asia-Pacific Region in 2015 Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- In 2015 the Kalashnikov Concern increased ninefold sales of its firearms for the civilian market in Asian-Pacific region compared to 2014.
- Russia State Arms Exporter Profits From Mistral Ship Contract Cancellation Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- Rosoboronexport has been fully reimbursed by France for the cost of constructing two Mistral-type warships and even profited from the contract's termination.
- 2 November 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Nov 2015
- Yemenis step up retaliatory attacks on Saudi positions Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- Fighters with Yemen's ruling Ansarullah movement, backed by allied army units, have ramped up attacks on military positions in southern Saudi Arabia in retaliation for Riyadh's incessant airstrikes across the impoverished country.
- Lebanese law forces Syrian refugees underground IRIN 02 Nov 2015 -- Ibrahim waited outside the legal clinic with his most valuable belongings – Syrian ID, passport, a document proving his status as a UN-registered refugee and a notarised pledge promising not to work in Lebanon – all in a crumpled shopping bag.
- Syrian forces liberate eight villages in Aleppo Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian army has recaptured eight villages in the northern Aleppo province from terrorist groups, Press TV reports.
- Syrian Army Destroys ISIL Command Center, 24 Terrorists Including Leader Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian Armed Forces have destroyed an ISIL command center in the Deir ez-Zor province, as well as 24 terrorists including their leader, a Syrian army spokesman said Monday.
- Syrian Army Launches Countrywide Operations Against ISIL Sputnik 02 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian army has launched devastating strikes on terrorists across Syria destroying tens of positions, facilities and command posts of the militant group in the last 24 hours.
- Terrorists kill 714 Iraqis in October-UN Report IRNA 02 Nov 2015 -- According to casualty figures released Sunday by United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), a total of 714 Iraqis were killed and 1,269 were injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in October 2015, UNIC in Tehran said on Monday.
- UN Condemns Deadly Al Shabab Hotel Attack VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned Sunday's attack by Somali militant group al-Shabab on a Mogadishu hotel. The attack left at least 12 people dead, including the owner of the hotel, a military commander and two lawmakers.
- Somali Militants Attack Government Soldiers VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- Somali militants from the Islamist extremist group al-Shabab have ambushed government soldiers south of the Somali capital, killing more than a dozen military personnel.
- UN calls on Libyan political stakeholders to redouble efforts to reach agreement UN News 02 Nov 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) called today on the main political stakeholders in the country to redouble their efforts in bringing the political dialogue process to a successful conclusion, which would allow for an agreement to form a Government of National Accord and for the resumption of Libya's democratic transition.
- On visit to East Jerusalem, UN officials call for respect of health premises, right to health care UN News 02 Nov 2015 -- Officials from a number of United Nations agencies have stressed the need to ensure respect for health premises as well as the right to health, following recent actions by the Israeli security forces at a hospital in East Jerusalem. tion.
- Côte d'Ivoire: Ban welcomes results of presidential poll, congratulates President Ouattara UN News 02 Nov 2015 -- Welcoming the publication of the final results of the presidential election in Côte d'Ivoire by the Constitutional Council, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today congratulated President Alassane Ouattara on his re-election, as well as the people and Government of the West African nation on the successful conclusion of the electoral process. tion.
- Turkish President: World Should Respect Party's Election Win VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the world should respect the victory of his Justice and Development Party (AKP) in Sunday's snap parliamentary polls, which he described as the people of Turkey voting for stability.
- Larijani calls for setting up strong committee for implementing JCPOA IRNA 02 Nov 2015 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani on Monday called for setting up a strong committee in the Foreign Ministry for implementing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action struck between Iran and the six world powers on July 14.
- Iran making preparations for JCPOA implementation: AEOI chief Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi says the country has started preliminary work for the implementation of a nuclear agreement reached with the P5+1 group of countries over Tehran's nuclear program.
- Lawmakers Say Iran Won't Abandon 'Death To America' Slogan RFE/RL 02 Nov 2015 -- A large majority of Iranian legislators say the Islamic republic is 'not at all prepared' to abandon the slogan of 'Death to America' despite a landmark nuclear deal signed with six world powers.
- Three-nation relations fully back on track People's Daily 02 Nov 2015 -- The leaders of China, the Republic of Korea and Japan said on Sunday that cooperation between the three countries has been 'completely restored'.
- Iraqi parliament stops premier from passing reforms unilaterally Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- Iraqi lawmakers have voted to bar Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi's administration from implementing, without their approval, key reforms envisioned in a comprehensive plan aimed at combating corruption and reducing government costs in Iraq.
- Kerry In Kazakhstan: Terror Threat No Excuse To Lock Up Foes RFE/RL 02 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry praised Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbaev for his 'leadership' in countering Islamic extremism but warned that the threat of terrorism is no excuse for stifling democracy and dissent.
- Kerry Praises Kazakhstan on Security VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev Monday that the United States is appreciative of his support for nuclear non-proliferation and the fight against Islamic State insurgents.
- Theories Abound As To What Downed Russian Airliner Over Egypt RFE/RL 02 Nov 2015 -- As investigators race to establish why a Russian airliner crashed over Egypt's Sinai Peninsula on October 31, speculation mounts as to the cause.
- Bangui residents witness more violence Press TV 02 Nov 2015 -- Tensions remain high in the capital of the Central African Republic, Bangui, as a cycle of violence continues that could further delay already postponed elections, and prevent a visit this month by the leader of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis.
- N. Korea Rejects UN's Criticism on Foreign Worker Abuses VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- North Korea has rejected a report by a United Nations human rights investigator that it is sending its citizens abroad to work under harsh conditions to earn hard currency, calling it a "reckless behavior."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|