11 October 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 11 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban blast targets NATO convoy in Afghan capital Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- A powerful bomb attack by the Taliban militant group has ripped through a convoy of US-led NATO troops in the central part of the Afghan capital, Kabul.
- Talibs May Lose Positions in Afghanistan After Killing of Key Commander Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- With the killing of key Taliban leader Mawlawi Ibrahim Shiwani during an Afghani special-forces raid in the west of the country, the positions of radical movement may decay in the region, state army officials are saying.
- US to Pay Compensation Over Airstrike on Afghan Hospital VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- The United States will offer 'condolence payments' for those killed or injured in the U.S. airstrike that mistakenly hit a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, October 3.
- Suicide Car Bomber Attacks Afghan Capital VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- A Taliban suicide car bomber has attacked a convoy of foreign troops in Kabul during the morning rush hours.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 22 militants in North Waziristan: Army Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- At least 22 militants have been killed in airstrikes conducted by Pakistani fighter jets in North Waziristan tribal region, the army says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iran successfully test fires ballistic missile ISNA 11 Oct 2015 -- Iran successfully launched a new generation of ballistic missile (dubbed Emad) on Sunday in a ceremony attended by Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan.
- Iran successfully puts to test new long-range ballistic missile Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic has successfully test-fired a new long-range ballistic missile, dubbed Emad.
- Russia demands UK explanation on 'authorization to shoot down Russian jets' Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Russia has demanded an explanation from the UK about media reports that British pilots have been given the permission to attack Russian jets in Iraq.
- UK Military Attache to Clarify Alleged Permission to Down Russian Planes Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- UK military attache is expected to clarify media reports of the alleged British leadership decision to enable Royal Air Force pilots participating in anti-ISIL coalition's airstrikes in Iraq to shoot down Russian aircraft, the Russian Defense Ministry press service said in a statement Sunday.
- India May Buy 12 Russian Next Generation S-400 Air Defense Systems - Media Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- India may purchase the next-generation Russian S-400 Triumf air defense systems, an Indian Defense Ministry source said Sunday.
- China to Construct Four Yuan-Class Submarines in Pakistan Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- China will build four of eight submarines that it will sell to Pakistan in Karachi, Pakistan's largest city and the most important city on the Arabian Sea.
- Saudi warplanes kill 35 people in Yemen Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Saudi warplanes have continued their brutal bombardment of Yemeni targets, killing dozens of more people across the country.
- Yemeni forces destroy second Saudi warship Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Yemen's army, backed by allied popular committees loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, has destroyed a second Saudi warship in a missile attack in the southeast of the impoverished Arab country.
- Turkey Says Its Jets Harassed by Syrian Warplanes, Missile Systems Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- Syrian fighter jets and missile systems harassed Turkish F-16 warplanes near the Turkish-Syrian border on Saturday, the Turkish military said on Sunday, once again bringing the conflict to NATO's southeastern flank.
- Syria 'opposition' says will boycott UN-backed peace negotiations Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Syria's main foreign-backed opposition group says it plans to boycott peace negotiations proposed by the United Nations in protest against Russian airstrikes in the Arab country.
- Syrian army gains ground against militants in Hama, Idlib Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Syrian government forces, backed by Russian air support, have made gains in their fight against foreign-sponsored militants in the country's west-central and northwestern provinces of Hama and Idlib, Press TV reports.
- Putin: Russian Ground Operation In Syria 'Ruled Out' RFE/RL 11 Oct 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says Moscow will not deploy ground troops to Syria, where it has conducted air strikes against what it claims are Islamic State (IS) targets.
- Syrian Army Liberates 5 Towns in Hama With Support of Russian Aviation Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- The Syrian Armed Forces have liberated another five towns in the Hama province's north with support of the Russian aviation, the commander of the operation told Russian journalists.
- Syrian Army's Elite Force to Gain New Victories in Northern Syria Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- The newly-formed Fourth Corps of the Syrian Army are about to make new advances in the Northern parts of the country.
- Putin Rules Out Russian Army's Participation in Ground Operation in Syria Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ruled out participation of the Russian Armed Forces in a ground operation in Syria.
- Russia Launches New Airstrikes Against Syrian Rebels VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- Russia launched a new aerial bombardment on Syrian rebels, helping President Bashar al-Assad's government reclaim territory it had lost.
- Iraq says hit Daesh chief's convoy in airstrike Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Iraq says it has hit the convoy of the chief of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in an airstrike in the western Anbar Province.
- Daesh militants kill 60 comrades in west, north Iraq Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Members of the Daesh Takfiri militant group have reportedly executed dozens of its own members in Iraq's embattled western and northern provinces of Anbar and Kirkuk.
- Iraqi Air Force Says It Bombed IS Leader's Convoy RFE/RL 11 Oct 2015 -- Iraqi security forces said on October 11 that they bombed the convoy of Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in an air strike near the country's border with Syria, though his fate remained unknown.
- Turkish Military Carry Out Airstrikes on PKK Targets in Iraq Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- The Turkish military bombed targets of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in southeastern Turkey and Iraq during airstrikes on Sunday.
- Israeli Airstrike Kills Woman and Child in Gaza VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- Israel carried out an airstrike early Sunday in the Gaza Strip that killed a pregnant Palestinian woman and her young daughter.
- UN chief condemns suicide attacks in Chad UN News 11 Oct 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has denounced the five simultaneous suicide attacks in Baga Sola sous-prefecture in Chad today, which left scores of civilians dead or injured.
- Majlis ratifies general outline of JCPOA IRNA 11 Oct 2015 -- Iranian parliament ratified the general outline of a single-urgency bill on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) here on Sunday.
- Araqchi heralds new phase of implementing JCPOA IRNA 11 Oct 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi said on Sunday that after Majlis puts seal of approval on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, a new phase will open to implement the JCPOA.
- Iran's Parliament Gives Preliminary Approval for Nuclear Deal VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- Iran's parliament Sunday gave preliminary approval of a bill that allows the government to implement a historic nuclear deal reached with world powers.
- Thousands Rally as Turkey Mourns 95 Killed in Bombings VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- Thousands of people took to the streets of Ankara Sunday, many of them chanting slogans against the Turkish government, as the country mourned the victims of twin bombings at a peace rally that killed at least 95 people.
- Bombings a Sign of Turkey's Deep Troubles VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- Turkey has begun a three-day period of mourning following Saturday's bomb attacks in the capital, Ankara, that killed nearly 100 people. With contentious parliamentary elections three weeks away, the attacks highlight the challenges Turkey is facing as it struggles with ethnic friction, an ongoing migrant crisis, and growing tensions with Russia.
- DPRK stages huge military parade marking 70th founding anniversary of ruling party People's Daily 11 Oct 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) held a huge military parade Saturday afternoon on Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, the national capital, marking the70th founding anniversary of the ruling Workers' Party of Korea(WPK).
- Polls Close in Guinea, Opposition Claims Fraud VOA 11 Oct 2015 -- Polling in Guinea's presidential election ended Sunday evening. Voters were choosing between giving President Alpha Conde a second term, or replacing him with one of seven opposition challengers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|