04 October 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- DOD Vows 'Full and Transparent' Probe of US Air Strike at Afghan Hospital VOA 04 Oct 2015 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter pledged on Sunday a full and transparent investigation of the U.S. air strike at a hospital in northern Afghanistan that left at least 22 people dead on Saturday.
- UN chief slams deadly Afghan hospital airstrikes People's Daily 04 Oct 2015 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Saturday strongly condemned airstrikes that killed medical staff and civilians in a hospital in north Afghanistan, calling for 'a thorough and impartial investigation into the attack in order to ensure accountability.'
- No militants at MSF hospital in Kunduz during US strike Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- Doctors Without Borders has dismissed claims that members of the Taliban militant group were firing against Afghan and US forces from the clinic run by the charity group in Kunduz, northern Afghanistan, before a US airstrike on the medical facility.
- Taliban militants capture district in northern Afghanistan: Official Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- Taliban militants have captured a district in Afghanistan's northern province of Sar-e-Pol following two days of heavy clashes with Afghan security forces, a local official says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US senators urge Obama to stop training militants in Syria Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- A bipartisan group of four US senators have demanded the Obama administration stop training militants in Syria, calling the program "a total failure."
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter En Route to Madrid, Spain DoD 04 Oct 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- NATO to open new center in Poland by year end: Report Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- NATO is reportedly set to open a new expert and training center for what is said to be intelligence and counter-terrorism activities in Poland by the end of this year, amid heightened tensions between the Western military alliance and Russia.
- NATO to Open Counterintelligence Center in Poland by Year-End Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- NATO will open expert and training center for intelligence and counter-terrorism activities in Krakow, Poland by the end of 2015, German media reported Sunday.
- Headed for the High Seas: Russia Restoring Its Maritime Strength Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- Russia is restoring its naval power and sustaining its naval presence worldwide.
- Commander: IRGC's missiles can hit US targets with ease IRNA 04 Oct 2015 -- All US military bases in the Middle East are within the range of the IRGC's missiles, but the country still sees no restriction for boosting its missile capabilities, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Aerospace Force said on Sunday.
- Iran Reveals New Torpedo-Armed Watercraft Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy has revealed a torpedo-armed watercraft which can operate both on and under water.
- Chinese navy warships make 1st visits to Scandinavian ports Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- A fleet of Chinese warships, including a missile destroyer, a missile frigate and a replenishment ship have paid port visits to Europe's Scandinavian nations in a show of goodwill and naval interest in the region.
- New investment in counter terrorism for UK Armed Forces UK MOD 04 Oct 2015 -- Prime Minister David Cameron announces investment in counter terrorism capabilities for the Armed Forces.
- Britain's Cameron Ready to Use Nuclear Weapons... in Some Circumstances Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- UK Prime Minister David Cameron admitted on Sunday that Britain may consider using nuclear weapons in certain circumstances.
- Saudi airstrikes target food trucks in Yemen's Sa'ada Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- Saudi Arabia's deadly airstrikes in Yemen have continued with warplanes pounding the outskirts of the capital as well as a district in the northwest of the country.
- Saudis use US targeting aid to bomb Yemen: Report Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- The US government provides Saudi Arabia with targeting aid to bomb Yemeni fighters, says a report.
- Russia to intensify Syria airstrikes against IS People's Daily 04 Oct 2015 -- Russia's air forces will intensify airstrikes against the posts of extremist group Islamic State (IS) in Syria, a senior military official said Saturday.
- Russia air strikes in Syria worrying: Turkish president Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- Turkey's president has expressed concern over Russia's bombing campaign against terrorists in Syria as Moscow says its airstrikes have inflicted severe harm on the Daesh Takfiri group.
- Assad: Military Campaign By Russia, Allies Vital To Save Middle East RFE/RL 04 Oct 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said the success of a military campaign by Russia, Syria, and its allies against the Islamic State militant group was crucial to save the Middle East from destruction.
- Merkel: Resolution of Syrian Crisis is Impossible Without Putin, Assad Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- Russia and the United States, as well as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Germany, France and the UK, can play an important role in the political resolution of the Syrian crisis, Angela Merkel said in an interview with radio station Deutschlandfunk.
- Putin May Become France's Partner in Anti-ISIL Fight – Hollande Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- Currently, Russian President Vladimir Putin is not an ally of France in Syria, but he may become a partner in search of a political resolution to the Syrian crisis and in fight with the Islamic State militants, French President Francois Hollande said Sunday.
- Assad: Russia, Syria, Iran, Iraq Will Save Region or It Will be Destroyed Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- The partnership of Syria, Russia, Iran and Iraq will save the region from collapsing. Otherwise 'the region will be destroyed'.
- Russian Aviation Hits ISIL Training Center, Munition Depot Near Al-Tabqa Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- Russian aviation launched a strike against an Islamic State training center near the city of al-Tabqa in Syria's Raqqa destroying the center's infrastructure, Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Sunday.
- Syrian Opposition Urges to Rewrite Constitution Only After 2016 Elections Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- The Syrian opposition calls for a temporary freeze of the constitution before the 2016 Syrian parliamentary elections and the subsequent formation of a new basic law, one of the participants of the Astana conference on the Syrian settlement told RIA Novosti on Sunday.
- Syria's Assad: Middle East Would Collapse if Russian Airstrikes Fail VOA 04 Oct 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Sunday that the whole Middle East would be destroyed if Russia's aerial bombardment of militants opposed to his regime does not succeed.
- Syrian Activists: Russian Airstrikes Focused on Rebels VOA 04 Oct 2015 -- Russian officials said they have carried out 60 airstrikes on Islamic State extremists since launching their air campaign last week, but Syrian activists and insurgent commanders say moderate rebel factions continue to be the primary targets four days into Moscow's air campaign.
- 1,933 Iraqis were killed, injured in September: UN IRNA 04 Oct 2015 -- According to casualty figures released by United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) on 1 October 2015, a total of 717 Iraqis were killed and another 1,216 were injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in September 2015.
- Daesh leader to reshuffle commanders in Ramadi Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- The leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Iraq has reportedly decided to replace foreign and Arab commanders operating in Ramadi with those who are originally from the militant-held city.
- De-Escalation of Tensions Key to Solving North Korea's Nuclear Problem Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- The North Korean nuclear issue can be settled only in a way that resolves political and military tensions throughout the region and also which guarantees the national security of Northeast Asian countries including North Korea, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister said on Sunday.
- Following latest deadly attack in Jerusalem, UN chief warns of 'dangerous slide towards escalation' UN News 04 Oct 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has strongly condemned the attacks on Saturday in the Old City of Jerusalem, including the killing of two members of an Israeli family and injuries to Israelis and Palestinians in subsequent incidents in various Jerusalem neighborhoods.
- Netanyahu: Israel in 'War to the Death' Against Palestinian 'Terrorism' VOA 04 Oct 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced tough new measures against Palestinian extremists Sunday, declaring that his country is in a war 'to the death' against 'terrorism.'
- Social Democrats Leading In Closely Watched Kyrgyz Vote RFE/RL 04 Oct 2015 -- Kyrgyzstan's Social Democrats (SDPK) are leading in the country's October 4 parliamentary poll with 27.5 percent of the vote after 90 percent of the ballots have been counted.
- Weekend Violence Shakes Bujumbura VOA 04 Oct 2015 -- Anti-government protesters and police clashed Saturday in Burundi's capital, Bujumbura. Burundi has dealt with unrest on and off since April.
- Iran lawmakers pass single-urgency JCPOA motion Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- Iranian lawmakers have passed a single-urgency motion that allows the administration to voluntarily implement the July 14 nuclear agreement under certain conditions.
- Iran to take back satellite from Italy ISNA 04 Oct 2015 -- Iran is to reclaim a satellite seized by Italy due to the sanctions imposed on Tehran over its peaceful nuclear program.
- Iraq premier opens Green Zone to all citizens Press TV 04 Oct 2015 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has announced the opening of the heavily fortified Green Zone in the capital, Baghdad, to all Iraqi citizens.
- MP: IRGC intelligence body reports to Parliament on Jason Rezaian IRNA 04 Oct 2015 -- Spokesman for Parliament's National Security and Foreign Relations Commission said on Sunday that Intelligence body of Islamic Revolution Guard Corps gave a report to that commission on Jason Rezaian's file.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|