02 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 02 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Airmen killed in C-130 crash from Dyess, Hanscom AFNS 02 Oct 2015 -- The six Airmen who died in a C-130J Super Hercules crash in Afghanistan Oct. 2 were assigned to units at Dyess and Hanscom Air Force Bases, according to officials at both bases.
- C-130J crashes in Afghanistan AFNS 02 Oct 2015 -- An Air Force C-130J Super Hercules assigned to the 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, part of the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, crashed Oct. 2 at approximately 12:19 a.m. at Jalalabad Airfield, Afghanistan.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the C-130 Crash in Afghanistan DoD 02 Oct 2015
- Taliban Fighters Remain In Kunduz, One Day After Afghan Army Regains Control RFE/RL 02 Oct 2015 -- Some Taliban fighters remain in Kunduz, a day after Afghan forces recaptured most of the northern city from the militants.
- Taliban Atrocities Alleged in Kunduz VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- Authorities in Afghanistan say that at least 60 people have been killed and 466 wounded in the battle between government troops and the Taliban for control of the northern city of Kunduz. Continued clashes were reported overnight and Friday morning in and around the beleaguered city.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 45th Space Wing supports ULA's 100th Atlas launch AFNS 02 Oct 2015 -- The 45th Space Wing supported the United Launch Alliance's 100th launch, an Atlas V 421 rocket flying the Morelos-3 communications satellite for Mexico's Secretariat of Communications and Transportation on Oct. 2.
- Air Force, Navy hone skills in the skies AFNS 02 Oct 2015 -- F-22 Raptors from the 90th Fighter Squadron duked it out with F-18 Hornets from Navy Strike Fighter Squadron 15 to wrest as much training experience from each other Sept. 14-25.
- PHIBLEX 15 opening ceremony emphasizes expediency, fosters friendships USMC News 02 Oct 2015 -- Filipino and U.S. service members gathered for the opening ceremony of Amphibious Landing Exercise 2015 at the Marine Barracks Rudiardo Brown, Taguig City, Philippines, Oct. 1.
- Hungary to Host Command Center for NATO Rapid Reaction Force Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Hungary will host a NATO command center in the military bloc's strategy to have a rapid reaction force in Europe, the Hungarian government said Friday cited by the VS news website.
- NATO Ramps Up European Action With 'Baltic Piranha' War Games in Lithuania Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- NATO has continued to make its presence felt in eastern Europe, with close to 1,000 soldiers taking part in the alliance's month-long 'Baltic Piranha' military training program in Lithuania, designed as an 'assurance measure' to combat the perceived threat of Russia.
- Latvia Pushes for Greater NATO Presence in the Baltics Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Latvia's Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkevics wants NATO to bulk up its ground forces in the country and expand its military training activity in the Baltic region to ward off an imagined "aggression" by Russia.
- Syria Air Campaign Raises Questions About Russian Capabilities VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- Russia's days-old air campaign in Syria is giving U.S. officials and analysts their first in-depth look at Russian capabilities in decades, and it has some wondering whether Russia is able to effectively use its most advanced weapons.
- Russia May Sell to India 3 Frigates Idling Without Ukraine-Supplied Engines Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Russia is considering the sale to India of three Project 11356 patrol ships that were expected to join the Russian Navy but lack Ukraine-built gas turbine engines (GTEs), a Russian military-technical cooperation source said Friday.
- Iraq May Ask Russia for Anti-ISIL Military Support if Leadership Decides Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Baghdad may request military assistance from Moscow in fight against Islamic State militants on Iraqi soil.
- Russia Seeks to Strengthen Lebanese Army to Fight ISIL Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Russia strengthens its alliance with Middle Eastern countries and provides the Lebanese army with military equipment, media reported.
- UN chief takes note of judgement by German court against Rwandan rebel leaders UN News 02 Oct 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has taken note of the trial judgement handed down by a German court against the President and Vice-President of the Forces démocratiques de libération du Rwanda, also known as FDLR, which has committed war crimes in neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- One of Africa's longest-standing refugee situations set to end soon, says UN agency UN News 02 Oct 2015 -- Delegations from Rwanda and 11 major host countries in Africa, the African Union and the United Nations refugee agency today agreed on a timetable to resolve the situation of Rwandan refugees who fled between 1959 and 1998 – one of the world's longest-standing displacement situations.
- 2 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Oct 2015
- UNICEF: Conditions Deteriorating for Children in Yemen VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- UNICEF warns that children in Yemen are facing alarming conditions.
- Syrian Government Forces Reportedly Gearing Up for Ground Offensive VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- Members of the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group called on Russia Friday to stop its airstrikes in Syria, saying they were hitting a variety of rebel militias and civilians and would only fuel extremist groups.
- Obama: Dueling Airstrikes in Syria, Not 'Proxy War' VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- President Barack Obama says the Syrian civil war is not going to become a 'proxy war' between the U.S. and Russia, as the two countries conduct airstrikes on different groups inside Syria.
- Diplomatic Tension Rises Over Syria Strikes RFE/RL 02 Oct 2015 -- Russia says it has launched a third day of air strikes in Syria and hit 12 Islamic State (IS) targets as diplomatic tension continues to mount over the aims of Moscow's moves in that war-torn country.
- Russian Jets Destroy ISIL Command Post, Bunker in Syria Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Russian Su-24M and Su-25 attack aircraft destroyed an ISIL command post in the Idlib province, whereas Su-34 and Su-25 planes eliminated an ISIL fortified bunker in the Hama province.
- US Senators Urge Carter, Kerry to End Train-and Equip-Program in Syria Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- The US train-and-equip program in Syria should be shut down because it is unsuccessful and escalates the conflict in the Middle East, Senators Joe Manchin, Chris Murphy, Tom Udall and Mike Lee stated in a letter to senior US officials on Friday.
- Reports of Russian Airstrikes Hitting Non-ISIL Targets 'Utter Nonsense' Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- According to Russian Defense Ministry spokesman, media reports claiming that Russian airstrikes on Islamic State extremist group positions in Syria hit the wrong targets are complete nonsense.
- Russian Air Force Destroys ISIL Command Center, Training Camp in Syria Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- The Russian Air Force's Su-34 Fullback strike fighters have destroyed an Islamic State command center and training camp, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Gen.-Maj. Igor Konashenkov said Friday.
- New Syria Strikes, Coalition Urges Russian Halt VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- Russia carried out more airstrikes in Syria Friday, as a U.S.-led coalition urged Moscow to halt any attacks on the Syrian opposition and focus on Islamic State targets.
- Analysts: Russia's Syria Strikes Shake Regional Powers VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- "Tell Barack Obama, tell Russia, tell Iran that too many people are dying every day," said Hani, a first grade teacher from Syria, as he awaited entry to a refugee camp in Croatia in late September. "Too many people."
- Turkey soldiers kill 17 'PKK militants' Press TV 02 Oct 2015 -- Seventeen suspected Kurdish militants have been killed by Turkey's armed forces, just hours following a move by the government in Ankara to impose a curfew in the mainly Kurdish southeastern town of Silvan.
- Ukraine Peace Talks End on Positive Note VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Friday that he felt 'cautious optimism' following talks in Paris with the Russian, French and German leaders on reviving the peace process for eastern Ukraine.
- Poroshenko, Putin Meet On Ukraine With German, French Leaders RFE/RL 02 Oct 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, have begun meeting in Paris with the leaders of France and Germany in an effort to solidify a fragile peace agreement in eastern Ukraine.
- Normandy Quartet Agrees on Heavy Weapons Withdrawal in E. Ukraine - Merkel Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- The Normandy Four talks resulted in an agreement on the procedure of the withdrawal of heavy weapons in eastern Ukraine.
- Hollande Demands Better Humanitarian Access to Donbass Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- The French leader said that a serious progress was achieved in the implementation of the Minsk agreements in terms of security and called for improving the humanitarian access to the region.
- Libya: Ban urges parties to reject violence, act quickly on draft peace plan UN News 02 Oct 2015 -- Stressing that 18 months of violence has only led Libya down a path of death, displacement and destruction, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all parties to put aside their differences and act on the draft peace plan they have before them.
- Burkina Faso coup leader in police custody: Sources Press TV 02 Oct 2015 -- The leader of Burkina Faso's recent short-lived coup is now in police custody, sources in the West African country say.
- Burkina Faso's transition will not be stalled by those 'rowing against the current of history,' President tells UN Assembly UN News 02 Oct 2015 -- Thanking the international community for strongly condemning the recent coup d'état in Burkina Faso, and for backing the transition he is leading, President Michel Kafando today called upon the United Nations General Assembly to continue supporting the county's efforts "to anchor true democracy," through to the holding of free and transparent elections.
- Burkinabe Want Justice After Coup Leader Surrender VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- The leader and chief negotiator for the Confederation of Labor Unions in Burkina Faso said the Burkinabe people want justice, now that the leader of last month's failed coup has surrendered to authorities.
- Analysts: North Korea Unlikely to Fire Rocket at Anniversary VOA 02 Oct 2015 -- North Korea may not fire a long-range rocket during the country's much-touted party anniversary next week, analysts in Seoul say.
- German Mass Surveillance 'Carried Out Virtually Unchecked' - Report Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- The German government's supervision of its intelligence services is facing further scrutiny, following an article published in Tagesspiegal which reveals a damning indictment of mass surveillance practices in Germany by the Council of Europe's Commissioner for Human Rights.
- Russia Will Defend Its Right to Arctic Oil, Gas With Missiles Sputnik 02 Oct 2015 -- Russia is building new military facilities on Arctic Ocean islands where it plans to deploy air defense units in a bid to strengthen its foothold in the Arctic and gain access to the region's vast energy resources, a German newspaper wrote on Friday.
- At UN, European leaders call to 'halt atrocities' and find political solution to crisis in Syria UN News 02 Oct 2015 -- On the fifth day of the United Nations General Assembly's debate, European countries took to the podium delivering remarks focused on the importance of diplomacy, the need to address the refugee and migrant crisis affecting their continent, and the urgency with which the war in Syria needs to be brought to end.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|