19 September 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US deploys 160 troops to Iraq to fight Daesh Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- The US Army has deployed an extra 160 troops to a military airbase in Iraq to purportedly push back the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group which has also captured swathes of land from neighboring Syria.
- Five killed in US drone strike in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- At least five people have lost their lives in a US drone strike in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar, police sources say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Unthinkable 2.0? Pentagon Updating War Plans Against Russia Sputnik 19 Sep 2015 -- According to State and Defense Department sources speaking to Foreign Policy, the Pentagon is 'dusting off,' reevaluating and updating its contingency plans for war with Russia. The publication explains why all of this is Russia's fault, and where things may go from here.
- T-6 Crashes Near Las Cruces; Pilots Eject Safely NNS 19 Sep 2015 -- At approximately 10 a.m. MDT Sept. 19, a T-6A Texan II tandem-seat, turboprop trainer, assigned to Training Wing 4, based at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas, crashed in Las Cruces, New Mexico, after the pilots conducted a controlled ejection during a routine training flight.
- Putin Instructs Ministers to Ink Deal to Establish Air Base in Belarus Sputnik 19 Sep 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has authorized his ministers to sign an agreement providing for the establishment of a new Russian airbase in Belarus.
- Japan's new security bills against trend of the times: defense ministry People's Daily 19 Sep 2015 -- Japan's new security laws run counter to the trend of the times that upholds peace, development and cooperation, the Ministry of National Defense (MOD) said on Saturday.
- Iran's military to nip any threats in bud: Cmdr. Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- A senior Iranian commander says the military's ground forces will nip any threat against the country in the bud.
- Yemen army attacks Saudi base in Aseer, captures several soldiers Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- The Yemeni army, with the support of the popular committees, has managed to hit a Saudi military base in Saudi Arabia's southwestern province of Aseer, taking several soldiers captive.
- Saudi jets kill 76 in fresh raids on Yemen Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- Unabated Saudi airstrikes have claimed the lives of at least 76 people, injuring around 130 others across the kingdom's impoverished southern neighbor, Yemen.
- Turkish airstrikes reportedly kill 55 PKK militants in north Iraq Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- Turkish fighter jets have pounded camps of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, reportedly killing at least 55 militants.
- 12 Somali soldiers fall in attack by al-Shabab militants south of Mogadishu Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- The al-Shabab militants have killed 12 Somali soldiers in their latest attack carried out south of Mogadishu.
- Pakistani Military Targets Taliban After Deadly Raid On Air Base RFE/RL 19 Sep 2015 -- The Pakistani military has carried out air strikes against suspected militant targets near the Afghan border, a day after the Pakistani Taliban killed 29 people in a raid on an air base.
- Fresh US drone attack leaves 16 dead in Pakistan's Waziristan Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- At least 16 people have been killed in an attack by a US drone in Pakistan's troubled northwestern tribal region near the border with Afghanistan.
- Venezuela forces crossed border illegally: Colombia Press TV 19 Sep 2015 -- Colombia says that troops from neighboring Venezuela have entered its territory illegally, calling it an incursion.
- Araqchi: Nuclear deal achievements to become tangible soon IRNA 19 Sep 2015 -- Foreign Ministry deputy for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi said the achievements of the nuclear deal between Iran and the 5+1 will be tangible soon.
- Rohani Urges Americans Not To Fear 'Death To America' Chants RFE/RL 19 Sep 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani is seeking to quiet the misgivings of millions of Americans about crowds of Iranians that parade around Tehran chanting 'Death to America!'
- Georgia Opposition Leader Rejailed One Day After Being Set Free RFE/RL 19 Sep 2015 -- A Georgian court has sentenced a top opposition leader to 4 1/2 years in jail for misspending public funds one day after he was released from an illegal 14-month detention.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|