22 August 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Anti-ISIL Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 22 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus Names Virginia-Class Submarine NNS 22 Aug 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus hosted a ship-naming ceremony today to announce that SSN 799, a Virginia-class attack submarine, will bear the name USS Idaho.
- USS Columbus Returns from Southern Command Deployment NNS 22 Aug 2015 -- The Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Columbus (SSN 762) recently returned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam following a unique deployment to the south.
- Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15) Completes Mission in Belize NNS 22 Aug 2015 -- U.S. Navy Diver and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician training teams completed their second stop of the SPS-JHSV 15 mission Aug. 21 in Big Creek, Belize.
- Ashland, 31st MEU to Depart Saipan After Disaster Relief Efforts NNS 22 Aug 2015 -- Federal and local officials announced that the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) embarked aboard the dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) completed its disaster relief mission in Saipan.
- Tiger Sharpening Claws: European Combat Helicopter Set for Upgrade Sputnik 22 Aug 2015 -- Airbus Helicopters’ Tiger, one of the most advanced gunships in Europe, will get a major upgrade.
- Iran to target intruding drones: Cmdr. Press TV 22 Aug 2015 -- A senior Iranian military commander says the country’s air defense forces will firmly deal with any unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) violating the Islamic Republic's airspace.
- Iran Showcases New Missile RFE/RL 22 Aug 2015 -- Iran has unveiled a new surface-to-surface missile, which features more advanced sensors and technology than earlier rockets.
- Koreas Resume Emergency Peace Talks VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- North and South Korean officials resumed marathon talks late Sunday afternoon in an urgent bid to avert war on the peninsula.
- US puts forces in South Korea on enhanced status, war looms Press TV 22 Aug 2015 -- The United States has put its forces in South Korea on a heightened state of alert – known as “enhanced status” – as war between Seoul and Pyongyang looms.
- ISIL terrorists attack Syrian town with chemical weapons: Report Press TV 22 Aug 2015 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has once again used chemical weapons in its attacks, this time on residential areas in the Syrian town of Mare’a, a report says.
- Russia denies reports of delivering 6 MiG fighter jets to Syria Press TV 22 Aug 2015 -- Russia has denied reports that it has provided Syria with Mikoyan MiG-31 fighter jets, adding that it has no plans to do so in the future, either.
- Saudi warplanes pound several areas in crisis-hit Yemen Press TV 22 Aug 2015 -- Saudi military aircraft have conducted a fresh round of attacks against several areas across Yemen as Riyadh presses ahead with its military campaign against its impoverished southern neighbor.
- Police HQ Destroyed in Yemen’s Aden, al-Qaida Blamed VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- Yemeni officials are blaming al-Qaida for a bomb that destroyed secret police headquarters in the southern port city of Aden Saturday.
- Darfur, Kordofan, Blue Nile conflicts to end in 2016: Sudan president Press TV 22 Aug 2015 -- Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir says conflicts in the African country's Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile regions will end in the next year.
- Pakistan: No High-level Talks With India VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan called off high level talks with India Saturday night after the two sides traded barbs over the agenda.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the French Train Incident DoD 22 Aug 2015
- Readout of the President's Call with President Francois Hollande of France The White House 22 Aug 2015
- US Serviceman in Train Attack Was Thinking of 'Survival' VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- One of the three Americans who overpowered a heavily armed gunman on a high-speed train traveling between Amsterdam and Paris described tackling the gunman during a news conference Sunday in Paris.
- Defense Officials Praise Troops' Actions in Train Attack AFPS 22 Aug 2015 -- In a statement released today, Defense Secretary Ash Carter praised three Americans for their actions yesterday on a train outside of Brussels, Belgium.
- Lajes Field Airman, fellow travelers stop attack on French train AFNS 22 Aug 2015 -- A 65th Air Base Group Airman, along with two other friends traveling on personal leave, took immediate action to help stop an attack on board a train in Northern France, Aug. 21.
- Tear Gas Fired as Beirut Garbage Protest Turns Violent VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- Police fired teargas and rubber bullets into surging crowds in the heart of Beirut Saturday as protests sparked by the country’s garbage crisis became a cry of anger at the country’s political elites.
- Khmer Rouge 'First Lady' Dead at 83 VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- Former top Khmer Rouge official Ieng Thirith has died, according to Cambodia's U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|