08 August 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban claims responsibility for Kabul military base attack Press TV 08 Aug 2015 -- The Taliban militant group has claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on a military base in the Afghan capital city of Kabul, Press TV reports.
- UN urges halt to attacks on Afghan civilians after day of record casualties UN News 08 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations on Saturday called on anti-Government elements in Afghanistan to stop targeting civilian-populated areas, after a series of attacks yesterday killed at least 40 people, injured more than 300 and caused extensive damage to homes and property.
- Taliban Suicide Blast Kills 22 Militiamen in Afghanistan VOA 08 Aug 2015 -- The Taliban claimed responsibility Saturday for another deadly suicide car bombing in Afghanistan, a day after a series of terrorist blasts killed dozens in and near Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Allies plan large-scale training exercise in Southern California USMC News 08 Aug 2015 -- Naval, aviation and ground forces from the United States, Japan, Mexico and New Zealand are scheduled to participate in Exercise Dawn Blitz 2015 off the coast and ashore in Southern California from August 31 to September 9.
- 31st MEU to assist Saipan during typhoon recovery USMC News 08 Aug 2015 -- Marines and sailors with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived in Saipan today to assist with typhoon recovery efforts after the island was hit by a typhoon.
- US to earmark $68mn in Estonia's NATO army bases Press TV 08 Aug 2015 -- Washington plans to invest $68 million to fund the development of military base infrastructure in Estonia in a bid to extend additional military aid and training to NATO forces near Russian borders.
- Russia's New Armored Vehicle to Enter Service After Tests Sputnik 08 Aug 2015 -- The Volk armored mobility vehicle is currently undergoing experimental tests at the Arzamas Machinery Plant, the company's press office reported.
- Yemeni forces kill 70 Saudi-backed militants in Abyan Province Press TV 08 Aug 2015 -- At least 70 Saudi-backed militants have been killed in an attack by the Yemeni army, backed by popular committees, on their hideouts in the southern province of Abyan, local media reports say.
- Saudi Arabia continues to bomb Yemen Press TV 08 Aug 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has continued bombarding several areas in Yemen, killing at least 13 people across the impoverished country.
- Yemeni forces destroy Saudi tank in Jizan Press TV 08 Aug 2015 -- Yemeni forces have destroyed a military tank in Saudi Arabia's southwestern Jizan province in retaliation for Riyadh's military campaign against the Arab country.
- Islamic State Executed 'Unprecedented' 2,070 Iraqis Around Mosul RFE/RL 08 Aug 2015 -- The Islamic State (IS) group has executed more than 2,000 people in and around the northern Iraqi city of Mosul since seizing it in June 2014, officials said August 7.
- Syrian Army Kills 50 Al-Nusra Front Terrorists, Mostly Foreign Mercenaries Sputnik 08 Aug 2015 -- The Syrian army killed more than 50 militants of the Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group in the city of Rabis, Latakia Governorate in the north-west of the country, Syrian national TV channel citing a military source reported Saturday.
- Hundreds of Christians Fear IS Attack, Flee Syrian Town VOA 08 Aug 2015 -- Scores of Christian families have fled a Syrian town amid fears that Islamic State militants are advancing toward it and plan a major offensive, activists said Saturday.
- UN Confirms Death of 5 Staff, 4 Rescues in Mali Hotel Attack Sputnik 08 Aug 2015 -- A siege of a hotel used by UN staff has led to the deaths of five of its staff and the rescue of four others in the West African nation of Mali, the UN Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) announced Saturday.
- At Least 12 Dead in Mali as Soldiers End Standoff VOA 08 Aug 2015 -- Malian soldiers have raided a hotel in central Mali, freeing four hostages and ending a standoff with Islamist militants that left at least 12 people dead.
- Larijani acknowledges Iranian resolve to end the nuclear stalemate IRNA 08 Aug 2015 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani on Saturday acknowledged Iranian resolve to end the nuclear stalemate lingering over the past 12 years.
- Iran's foreign minister dismisses US media claim on Parchin site Press TV 08 Aug 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has dismissed recent reports in the US media about nuclear-related activities at the Parchin military site, located near the capital, Tehran.
- Why Is Parchin Central To Iran Nuclear Crisis? RFE/RL 08 Aug 2015 -- The Parchin military facility is back at center stage in the Iran nuclear crisis as new satellite images show vehicles and container-like objects being moved near a location where Iran is suspected of conducting past nuclear-related tests.
- U.S. 'Concerned' Quds Commander Visited Russia, Violating UN Ban RFE/RL 08 Aug 2015 -- The United States is investigating reports that the commander of the elite Quds Force in Iran's Revolutionary Guard recently visited Russia in violation of a United Nations travel ban, U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power said August 7.
- Thousands Of Iraqis Protest Poor Services, Government Corruption RFE/RL 08 Aug 2015 -- Thousands of Iraqis braved the scorching summer heat to stage huge protests in central Baghdad and other cities August 7, denouncing abysmal electricity and other services as well as government corruption.
- UN Increases Aid for Myanmar Flood Victims VOA 08 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations is stepping up its emergency aid to Myanmar, where massive floods have killed at least 88 people in the country's Irrawaddy delta region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|