21 June 2015 Military News
- Anti-ISIL Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 21 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 6 Afghan policemen killed in shootout with Taliban Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Six Afghan police forces have been killed in a shootout with a group of Taliban militants who attacked a security checkpoint in the central-eastern part of the war-ravaged country.
- Afghan troops retake northeastern district from Taliban Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Afghan forces have regained control of a district in the northeastern province of Badakhshan from Taliban militants following intense clashes with the militants there, Press TV reports.
- Taliban, Central Asian Militants Seize District In Kunduz Province RFE/RL 21 Jun 2015 -- Afghan security forces say they are preparing to launch a counterattack in a district of the northern province of Kunduz that has been seized by Taliban fighters and Central Asian militants.
- Afghanistan: UNAMA condemns killing of 16 civilians by improvised explosive device UN News 21 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has condemned today the killing of 16 civilians, and injuring of several others, when their minibus hit an improvised explosive device (IED) on Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter En Route to Berlin, Germany DoD 21 Jun 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Khaan Quest 2015 commences USMC News 21 Jun 2015 -- Mongolian Armed Forces and U.S. service members, along with more than 20 other nations, held an opening ceremony June 20 to mark the beginning of Exercise Khaan Quest 2015 at the Five Hills Training Area.
- CARAT 2015 Exercise Series Begins in the Philippines NNS 21 Jun 2015 -- Members of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps along with their Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) counterparts kicked off the 2015 Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise series during an opening ceremony in Puerto Princesa, Philippines, June 22.
- US warship to enter Black Sea to support Operation Atlantic Resolve Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- US Navy warship, USS Laboon, is to enter the Black Sea as part of its support mission for the so-called Operation Atlantic Resolve drills, which are intended to counter the alleged Russian threat amid the Ukraine crisis.
- Russia's Su-35 Fighter: A Trump Card Up Beijing's Sleeve in South China Sea Sputnik 21 Jun 2015 -- Russia's Sukhoi Su-35 super-maneuverable multirole fighters will most likely become China's trump card in its longstanding geopolitical game in the South China Sea, US journalist Zachary Keck noted.
- Russia to deploy warplanes in Arctic Ocean Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has announced the installation of new radar detectors on the Arctic Ocean islands, while planning to also deploy jet fighters in the northern region.
- Russian Navy to Start Building New Lider-Class Destroyer in 2019 Sputnik 21 Jun 2015 -- Russian Navy plans to begin construction of a new Lider-class destroyer in 2019, Navy Commander-in-Chief Adm. Viktor Chirkov told reporters.
- Russia to build new series of 6 patrol ships by 2020 - Russian Navy commander TASS 21 Jun 2015 -- Russia will build a new series of six patrol vessels for the Black Sea Fleet and two patrol ships for the Arctic by 2020, Russian Navy commander Viktor Chirkov told journalists on Sunday.
- Ukraine receives 55 personnel carriers from Britain Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Britain has delivered 55 Saxon armored personnel carriers to Ukraine despite a shaky truce in the eastern parts of the former Soviet country.
- Ukraine Receives More Obsolete Armored Vehicles From UK Sputnik 21 Jun 2015 -- A second batch of redundant Saxon APCs arrived in Ukraine earlier this week, a senior adviser to President Petro Poroshenko announced on Saturday.
- Equipment on Ukrainian Flagship Is so Poor, Described as 'Hellish Hell' Sputnik 21 Jun 2015 -- Equipment on the Hetman Sahaydachniy frigate, the flagship of the Ukrainian Navy, is old and most of it doesn't even work, said Yuri Biryukov, a senior adviser to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.
- Saudi Arabia continues airstrikes against Yemen Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has targeted areas across Yemen with airstrikes as international bodies warn against deteriorating humanitarian conditions in the impoverished Arab country.
- Yemen forces take control of Saudi bases in Jizan Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- The Yemeni army, backed by popular committees, has seized control of a number of Saudi military bases in the province of Jizan as Riyadh keeps pounding the impoverished Arab nation.
- Saudi warplanes continue to bomb areas across Yemen Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Saudi warplanes have carried out new airstrikes against several areas across Yemen, inflicting more human loss and material damage on the country.
- ISIL mines ancient ruins in Syria's Palmyra Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- The Takfiri ISIL group has planted landmines at the site of the ancient ruins in the Syrian city of Palmyra in the central Homs Province, the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says.
- Ukraine nationalist Right Sector party rejects Minsk truce Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Ukraine's Right Sector political party has reiterated calls to disregard the Minsk ceasefire agreements between Kiev and pro-Russia forces.
- Two Ukraine troops killed, 6 injured in Donbass clashes Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Two Ukrainian government soldiers have been killed and six others injured in fighting with pro-Russia forces in the country's restive eastern region of Donbass, a presidential aide says.
- Kiev Deploying Grad Rocket Launchers Along Frontline - DPR Sputnik 21 Jun 2015 -- Kiev-led forces deployed two BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher systems near the southern-eastern border of Novotroitskoye, DPR military spokesman Eduard Basurin said.
- US Congratulates Mali on Peace Deal VOA 21 Jun 2015 -- The Obama administration is congratulating the people of Mali for the peace agreement signed Saturday between Tuareg rebels and the government.
- Extremists Attack Mogadishu Compound VOA 21 Jun 2015 -- At least three militants died as an al-Qaida-linked extremist group attacked an intelligence training facility Sunday in Mogadishu.
- Al-Shabab militants storm military base in Somali capital Press TV 21 Jun 2015 -- Al-Shabab militants have stormed a military intelligence base in the Somali capital of Mogadishu following a car bomb explosion targeting the compound, security sources say.
- Legal Expert: South Africa Was Obligated to Arrest Sudan President VOA 21 Jun 2015 -- Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir has once again evaded arrest by the International Criminal Court. In recent years, he's visited – with impunity -- other signatories to the International Criminal Court – including Kenya, Nigeria and Malawi.
- FM: Iran not under pressure to strike final deal by July 1 IRNA 21 Jun 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif underlined that Tehran is not worried about time for striking a final nuclear agreement, and said that the talks are very likely to continue beyond the July 1 deadline.
- Iran's Zarif to Meet EU FMs Ahead of Nuclear Talks VOA 21 Jun 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohamed Javad Zarif is to meet several of his European Union counterparts Monday, before the June 30 deadline for an international accord on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Turkey Political Crisis Deepens VOA 21 Jun 2015 -- Turkey's nationalists closed the door this weekend on forming a coalition with the country's main opposition party, seemingly setting the stage either for new parliamentary elections or for President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) to remain in power with nationalist support. The price for that, however, could be the end of peace talks between Ankara and the Kurds.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|