The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

Iran Press TV

Saudi Arabia continues airstrikes against Yemen

Iran Press TV

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:51PM

Saudi Arabia has targeted areas across Yemen with airstrikes as international bodies warn against deteriorating humanitarian conditions in the impoverished Arab country.

According to media outlets, in their latest acts of aggression against Yemen on Sunday, Saudi fighter jets, bombarded a Yemeni military base in the district of Harad in the northwestern Yemeni province of Hajjah.

The Saudi warplanes had also attacked the district of Abs in the province earlier in the day.

Saudi Arabia also pounded residential areas in Yemen's northwestern province of Sa'ada.

There have been no reports on the number of casualties or material damage caused in the latest attacks.

Reports also said that a number of Yemeni people were injured in Riyadh's air blitz on the town of Saqayn in the northern Yemeni province of Sa'ada.

In response to Saudi aggression against Yemen, Yemeni forces backed by popular committees, targeted Riyadh's military bases in the southwestern Saudi province of Jizan, inflicting losses on the Saudi military equipment in Jizan and capturing three military bases there.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that more than 15 million people in Yemen do not have access to basic health services, adding that over 20 million in the war-torn country do not have access to safe drinking water and sanitation.

According to the health organization, one million displaced people in Yemen, with a population of about 26 million, are among those in urgent need of healthcare.

WHO Representative for Yemen, Dr. Ahmed Shadoul, has also warned that Yemen's health system is "on the verge of breakdown."

The Saudi regime has been bombarding areas across Yemen since March 26 without the mandate of the United Nations (UN) and with the goal of undermining the Houthi Ansarullah movement as well as restoring to power fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, who is a staunch ally of the Al Saud regime.

Spokesman for UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Rupert Colville, said on June 16 that in excess of 1,410 Yemeni civilians, including 210 women, have been killed and 3,423 have suffered injuries since Saudi Arabia started its military campaign in Yemen.

IA/HMV/SS



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list