10 June 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 10 Jun 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Destroy ISIL Infrastructure, Weapons AFPS 10 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Statement by the Press Secretary on Additional U.S. Steps in the Counter-ISIL Effort The White House 10 Jun 2015
- Press Conference Call on Additional Steps to Counter ISIL The White House 10 Jun 2015
- U.S. to Deploy Modest Increase in U.S. Troops to Iraq AFPS 10 Jun 2015 -- President Barack Obama has authorized Defense Secretary Ash Carter to provide a modest increase in additional U.S. personnel to be deployed to Iraq in a noncombat role, Defense Department officials announced today.
- Statement from the Department of Defense on Additional U.S. Personnel to Deploy to Iraq DoD 10 Jun 2015 -- The commander in chief has authorized Secretary of Defense Ash Carter to deploy to Iraq up to 450 additional U.S. personnel in a non-combat role, to expand our advise and assist mission at Taqaddum Air Base in support of the Government of Iraq.
- Obama to Send Up to 450 Military Advisers to Iraq VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- President Barack Obama on Wednesday ordered 450 additional military advisers to Iraq in a new effort to bolster Iraqi troops as they try to retake Ramadi, the Anbar provincial capital seized last month by Islamic State insurgents.
- US Sends More Soldiers to Iraq, But in Advisory Role VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Before his order sending hundreds more members of the U.S. military to train and advise Iraqi forces in the battle against Islamic State extremists, President Barack Obama acknowledged there are not enough Iraqi army recruits.
- US to Announce Plan to Send Military Trainers to Iraq VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- The United States appeared set Wednesday to send about 400 additional military trainers to Iraq in a new effort to bolster Iraqi troops as they try to retake Ramadi, the Anbar provincial capital seized last month by Islamic State insurgents.
- Taliban Offensive in Afghanistan Strains Ties with Islamabad VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Afghan and Pakistani leaders have made a push to improve their long-troubled relationship under Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, and try to broker peace with the Afghan Taliban. But this week, an open dialogue in Islamabad exposed how their fragile alliance is being strained by the Taliban's spring offensive.
- Afghan forces kill 46 Taliban militants: Defense Ministry Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Afghan security forces have killed at least 46 Taliban militants and wounded over 36 others in the past 24 hours, the country's Defense Ministry says.
- US drone attack kills 3 suspected militants in Yemen: Official Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- At least three suspected al-Qaeda militants have been killed in a US drone strike in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla, which was seized by the terrorists in April, a Yemeni official says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- AF takes to the skies for Baltops 2015 AFNS 10 Jun 2015 -- The Air Force, along with its Polish counterparts, officially kicked off Powidz Air Base's portion of Baltic Operations 2015 with the first KC-135 Stratotanker flight from the 507th Air Refueling Wing here June 8.
- DoD Sends Blended Military Retirement Proposal to Congress AFPS 10 Jun 2015 -- A Defense Department proposal submitted to Congress today would create what Pentagon officials called a "blended defined benefit and defined contribution" military retirement system.
- Carter 'Incredibly Optimistic' About America's Position AFPS 10 Jun 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter summarized the Defense Department's dynamic role in stabilizing global security while implementing U.S. national strategy during remarks here yesterday.
- George Washington, CVW-5: Lethal Fighting Force NNS 10 Jun 2015 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) and its embarked air wing, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, successfully completed a combat operational efficiency (COE) evaluation, June 5.
- USS Rushmore Aids 65 People at Sea Near Indonesia NNS 10 Jun 2015 -- USS Rushmore (LSD 47) rendered assistance to 65 people on makeshift bamboo rafts in the waters between the Indonesian islands of Kalimantan and Sulawesi June 10.
- CVW-5 Enhances It's Combat Efficiency During a MISSILEX NNS 10 Jun 2015 -- Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, embarked aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73), completed an at-sea missile exercise (MISSILEX), June 7.
- USS Shiloh Commences Silent Shark 2015 With ROKN NNS 10 Jun 2015 -- The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG 67) commenced Silent Shark 2015, June 8.
- Continuing Promise 2015 Team Departs Panama, Completes Fifth Mission Stop NNS 10 Jun 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) departed Colon, Panama, on June 9 after completing an eight-day mission stop in support of Continuing Promise 2015 (CP-15).
- SBIRS awards technical refresh modification AFNS 10 Jun 2015 -- The Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) recently completed negotiations on the Lockheed Martin Space Systems' Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) Technical Refresh proposal and awarded the contract modification June 9.
- US Assures Israel of Military Assistance Over Iran Threats VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- The outgoing chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, sought to reassure Israel of continued U.S. military assistance in the face of the growing security threat posed by Iran.
- Official: U.S. Commitment to Israel Unaffected by Iran Issue AFPS 10 Jun 2015 -- Though the United States and Israel disagree about the proposed deal to limit Iran's nuclear program, that does not affect America's unshakable commitment to the defense of Israel, a senior administration official said here today.
- NATO Claims its Response to Alleged Russian INF Violations is 'Defensive' Sputnik 10 Jun 2015 -- NATO's position regarding allegations of Russian violations of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) arms control treaty remains consistent with its obligations to defend its member states, a NATO official told Sputnik.
- RAF Typhoons shadow Russian jets over Baltic Sea Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoons have intercepted two Russian military jets over the Baltic Sea.
- Russia warns U.S. over possible missile deployment in Europe People's Daily 10 Jun 2015 -- Russia considered possible missile deployment of the U.S. in Europe and other regions as counterproductive, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Tuesday.
- Russia developing upgraded version of Oka tactical missile system - defense ministry TASS 10 Jun 2015 -- Russia is developing an upgraded version of the Oka tactical missile system (NATO reporting name: SS-23 Spider) scrapped under the INF Treaty, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said on Wednesday.
- Russian troops in Transdniestria to drill use of machineguns against air raid TASS 10 Jun 2015 -- Mechanized infantry units of the Russian military group in Transdniestria will practise elimination of a hypothetical enemy's manpower and materiel with grenade launchers and machine-guns, the Western Military District's spokesman, Colonel Oleg Kochetkov, has told the media.
- Russia dismantled 195 out of 201 decommissioned Soviet, Russian nuclear subs - official TASS 10 Jun 2015 -- Specialists of Russia's civilian nuclear power corporation Rosatom have dismantled 195 out of 201 nuclear submarines decommissioned from the Soviet and Russian Navy, Rosatom Head Sergey Kiriyenko said on Wednesday.
- US to Expedite Weapons Delivery to Iraqi Kurdish, Tribal Forces Sputnik 10 Jun 2015 -- Kurds and Sunni will be better armed to fight ISIL as the United States respond to Kurdish complaints of insufficient weapons delivery, the White House reports.
- Iran plans to manufacture new destroyers ISNA 10 Jun 2015 -- Iranian Deputy Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami said the country plans to manufacture new destroyers of 'Mouj' class in the next three years.
- Experts: Nuclear Talks Ignore Iran's Missiles at World's Peril VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Three weeks before a deadline for a comprehensive nuclear deal with Iran, the failure to address the Islamic Republic's ballistic missile program in any agreement could be a dangerous omission, a panel of experts told U.S. lawmakers Wednesday.
- Japan green-lights MOD amendment to give uniformed SDF officers greater power People's Daily 10 Jun 2015 -- Japanese House of Councilors on Wednesday approved a Defense Ministry (MOD) related amendment, which will grant uniformed Self-Defense Forces (SDF) officers greater power.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/10/2015 The White House 10 Jun 2015
- June 10, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 Jun 2015
- 10 June 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Jun 2015
- Time for a new deal for Middle East's displaced? IRIN 10 Jun 2015 -- Conflicts in Iraq, Syria, Libya and Yemen are leading to unprecedented numbers of internally displaced people (IDPs) in the Middle East and North Africa, and increasingly complex and severe humanitarian crises.
- Saudi warplanes pound areas across Yemen Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Saudi military aircraft have conducted a fresh round of attacks against several areas across Yemen.
- US Support for Lebanese Military Surges as It Battles Terror Groups VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- U.S. support for the Lebanese Armed Forces is moving forward with new urgency, as Beirut battles to push back Islamic extremist groups that have launched unrelenting attacks along the frontier with Syria.
- Hezbollah, Syria seize control of Blocksat heights Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Units of the Syrian army and fighters of Lebanon's resistance movement Hezbollah have taken control of a key area in the strategic Qalamoun mountainous region along the Syrian-Lebanese border.
- In Geneva, UN envoy meets Syria stakeholders amid ongoing consultations UN News 10 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria is continuing a series of critical meetings with Syrian and international stakeholders as part of the ongoing Geneva Consultations and in an effort to find a political solution to the country's five-year long conflict.
- UN envoy calls on Libya's warring groups to end rifts Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- The head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya has urged the country's warring factions to agree to a power-sharing deal in an attempt to resolve the ongoing conflict in the North African state.
- Libya infighting kills 11 from rival militant groups Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Clashes between two rival militant groups in eastern Libya have killed 11 members as al-Qaeda-linked terrorists declared war on a local ISIL affiliate after one of their top leaders was shot dead by masked gunmen.
- 'Libya doesn't have time,' says UN envoy, urging parties to make political draft 'a final one' UN News 10 Jun 2015 -- Amid "very encouraging signs" in the United Nations-facilitated Libyan political dialogue, the Secretary-General's Special Representative on the North African nation today said that "time has come to make an agreement" and if possible, before or at the beginning of Ramadan, which begins on 17 June.
- UN, EU Urge Libyans to Accept Power-Sharing Deal VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations and major world powers are urging rival factions in Libya to accept a power-sharing agreement and put an end to nearly four years of fighting, terrorism and political turmoil.
- 878k people flee Ukraine, 1.3m internally displaced: UN Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- The armed conflict in eastern Ukraine has forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee the country and made well over a million others internally displaced, according to the UN released data.
- Joint Statement by Breakaway Ukrainian Republics Claim Wish to Join Russia Sputnik 10 Jun 2015 -- In a joint statement the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics in eastern Ukraine said that they would like to join Russia.
- Ukraine to place S-300 antiaircraft missiles on border with Transdniestria TASS 10 Jun 2015 -- Ukrainian authorities will deploy S-300 antiaircraft missile complexes on the border with Transdniestria - a mostly Slavic-populated breakaway region of Moldova that has existed as an unrecognized Dniester Republic since the early 1990.
- Egyptian soldiers kill 22 militants in restive Sinai Peninsula Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Egyptian security forces have carried out separate operations in the violence-plagued Sinai Peninsula, and killed at least 22 Takfiri militants.
- Over 100 Militants Dead in Indian Army's Surgical Strike in Myanmar Sputnik 10 Jun 2015 -- More than 100 militants have reportedly been killed and six more injured in a 45-minute surgical operation by Indian troops in Myanmar.
- UN: Tens of Thousands More Darfuris Displaced This Year VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations warned Wednesday that at least 78,000 more Darfuris have been displaced this year, as the government of Sudan pursues the second phase of a military offensive to crush rebels in the Darfur region.
- Ongoing violence in Darfur having 'devastating' impact on civilians, Security Council told UN News 10 Jun 2015 -- The security situation in Darfur is a very serious one, marked by a "deeply concerning" increase in violent attacks by armed assailants against United Nations peacekeepers and humanitarian personnel, the Assistant Secretary-General for UN peacekeeping operations told the Security Council today.
- Kyrgyz Leader Calls For Unity Five Years After Ethnic Bloodshed RFE/RL 10 Jun 2015 -- President Almazbek Atambaev called on citizens of Kyrgyzstan to preserve unity and peace as the Central Asian country marked the fifth anniversary of deadly clashes between ethnic Kyrgyz and Uzbeks in its volatile south.
- More Corruption Charges for Thai Ex-Prime Minister Sputnik 10 Jun 2015 -- Yingluck Shinawatra has been charged by Thailand's National Anti-Corruption Commission with abusing her position in connection with the payment of compensation to members of the 'Red Shirt' political movement who were injured in protests during 2005 – 2010.
- Uganda Opposition Parties Unite Ahead of Elections Next Year VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- The minority leader of Uganda's parliament says opposition groups have come together under one umbrella to challenge President Yoweri Museveni and his ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM).
- Turkey's Erdogan pushes for coalition amid uncertainty Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has held a surprise meeting with a senior opposition figure as part of purported efforts to form a coalition government.
- Turkish Lawmakers to Seek Coalition After Election Surprise VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan 'is open to'' all possible coalition options for a new government, including a partnership, which would exclude the ruling party that he founded, a senior opposition legislator said Wednesday.
- Suicide Bomber Targets Ancient Egyptian Temple VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- A suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday outside the ancient Karnak temple in southern Egypt in an attack that left four people, including two police officers, wounded.
- Libya Struggles With Massive Boat People Crisis VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Libyan officials suspect there could be up to a million illegal immigrants in the country planning to board smugglers' boats for the perilous sea-crossing to Italy.
- UN health agency begins review of MERS outbreak in Republic of Korea UN News 10 Jun 2015 -- A joint mission by the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) and the Republic of Korea's Ministry of Health and Welfare to review the situation regarding the outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS CoV), has begun its work in Seoul, the agency confirmed today.
- Study: Hackers Possibly Gaining in Cyber Attacks VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- A study released Wednesday suggests that despite the growing time and resources companies spend on cybersecurity, they're at best keeping even with the hackers and may in fact be losing ground.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|