09 June 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 09 Jun 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Dempsey: President Seeks Advice on Improving Iraq Mission AFPS 09 Jun 2015 -- President Barack Obama has asked the military for recommendations on how to make the effort to train and equip Iraqi security forces more effective, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Bars Discrimination Against Gays, Lesbians in Uniform VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Tuesday unveiled an updated equal opportunity policy to bar discrimination based on sexual orientation in the armed forces, putting it in the same category as discrimination based on race, religion, color, age and sex.
- DoD Civilian Personnel Chief Discusses Future Force AFPS 09 Jun 2015 -- The Defense Department's top civilian personnel policy chief discussed developments intended to address civilian workforce challenges and improve performance management and resourcing as part of the Future of the Force initiative during a panel discussion held here today.
- Defense Department Seeks Personnel Systems Reform AFPS 09 Jun 2015 -- The model for the Defense Department's personnel system is outdated and a multi-pronged effort led by Defense Secretary Ash Carter is underway to reform it, the Pentagon's top personnel official said today.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's Meeting with Somali Prime Minister Sharmarke and Somali Minister of Defense Dini DoD 09 Jun 2015
- Dempsey, Israeli Leaders Discuss Defense Cooperation AFPS 09 Jun 2015 -- Discussing threats from Iran or the vicious actions of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has a different resonance when the conversation is in Israel rather than the United States, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said here today.
- VAQ-139 Returns Home From Deployment NNS 09 Jun 2015 -- The 'Cougars' of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 139 returned to Naval Air Station Whidbey Island June 4 after a nearly 10-month deployment in support of U.S. 5th and 7th Fleet areas of operation.
- Naval Weapons Station Yorktown Strengthens Bond with Ally France During L'Hermione Weekend NNS 09 Jun 2015 -- Sailors from Naval Weapons Station (WPNSTA) Yorktown demonstrated the strong ties between France and the United States by volunteering their support during the visit of the replica French frigate L'Hermione in Historic Yorktown, June 5-7.
- USNAVSO/US 4th Fleet Conducts Conference With Peruvian Navy NNS 09 Jun 2015 -- Commander U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command (USNAVSO)/U.S. 4th Fleet Rear Adm. George Ballance was welcomed by members of the Peruvian Navy to the Centro Naval in San Borja, Lima, Peru for the annual U.S. Navy and Peruvian Navy Operational Naval Committee (ONC) conference, June 2-4.
- Building a Better Grunt: ONR-Sponsored Technology to Lighten Marines' Loads NNS 09 Jun 2015 -- Officials at the Office of Naval Research (ONR) announced June 8 that the organization was presenting the Marine Corps with a 3-D computer simulation program that measures equipment weight, distribution and effects on body mechanics and individual warfighter performance.
- U.S., Turkish Airmen Train in Exercise Anatolian Eagle AFPS 09 Jun 2015 -- U.S. Air Forces in Europe personnel are participating in Exercise Anatolian Eagle with the Turkish air force, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters here today.
- Leaders from 11 nations meet to discuss Arctic security AFNS 09 Jun 2015 -- Military leaders from across Europe and North America met in Reykjavik to discuss security related issues within the Arctic Circle during the Arctic Security Forces Roundtable several weeks ago.
- BALTOPS 2015 Ships Sail from Gdynia for Training NNS 09 Jun 2015 -- Ships from 17 NATO and partner countries, comprising the BALTOPS 2015 force, sailed from Gdynia, Poland, to start training in a number of warfare areas, June 8.
- USNS Mercy Arrives in Fiji for Pacific Partnership 2015 NNS 09 Jun 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) arrived in Suva, Fiji, June 7 for its first mission port visit of Pacific Partnership (PP15) 2015.
- NATO and Tunisia reaffirm willingness to deepen cooperation NATO 09 Jun 2015 -- On 9 June, the Assistant Secretary General for Political Affairs and Security Policy Ambassador Thrasyvoulos Terry Stamatopoulos paid an official visit to Tunisia in the framework of the Mediterranean Dialogue partnership. He held bilateral talks with the Minister of Foreign Affairs H.E. Mr. Taieb Baccouche, the Minister of Defense H.E. Farhat Horchani, and with the State Secretary in the Minstry of Foreign Affairs of Tunisia, H.E. Mhamed Ezzine Chelaifa.
- NATO Spearhead Force deploys for first time, Exercise Noble Jump underway NATO 09 Jun 2015 -- NATO's new high readiness 'spearhead' force is being deployed for the first time, as Exercise NOBLE JUMP gets underway in Zagan, Poland. Units assigned to the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF) were given orders to deploy on Tuesday afternoon (9 June 2015), and will exercise until 19 June. Over 2,100 troops from nine NATO nations are participating in the exercise, which continues the process of testing and refining the force.
- Russia successfully test-launches defense shield anti-missile - ministry TASS 09 Jun 2015 -- Russia's Aerospace Defense Forces have successfully test-launched a short-range anti-missile of the country's missile defense shield, the Defense Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Russian Navy Completes Anti-Sub Drills, Fires Torpedoes in Barents Sea Sputnik 09 Jun 2015 -- Russia's Northern Fleet has completed naval exercises in the Barents Sea, Defense Ministry's head of the Northern Fleet's press service said Tuesday.
- Moscow advises West to ask direct questions on military issues - Lavrov TASS 09 Jun 2015 -- Moscow is studying reports about US plans to deploy ballistic missiles in Europe and Asia, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Tuesday, answering a TASS question.
- Russia does not intend to breach Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty - Lavrov TASS 09 Jun 2015 -- US actions in the framework of global missile defense system directly violate the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told journalists on Tuesday.
- Defense Ministry: US statements on Russia's INF treaty breach used as excuse for own steps TASS 09 Jun 2015 -- The United States keeps alleging Russia is in breach of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Force treaty in order to excuse its own steps Washington presents as retaliatory, the Russian Defense Ministry believes.
- Russian Defense Ministry asks Pentagon for explanations over Dempsey's statements TASS 09 Jun 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has requested explanations from the Pentagon over recent statements by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, to the effect the United States might deploy in Europe and Asia its cruise and ballistic missiles that might be targeted against Russia, Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said.
- RAF Typhoons intercept two Russian aircraft near Baltic states UK MOD 09 Jun 2015 -- RAF Typhoon jets deployed as part of the NATO Baltic Air Policing mission intercepted two unknown aircraft on a mission over the Baltic Sea.
- Russian, Chinese officers reconnoiter area of upcoming joint naval drills TASS 09 Jun 2015 -- Russian and Chinese officers have completed reconnoitering the area in the Primorye Territory in the Far East that will host the second stage of the joint military drills dubbed Joint Sea 2015, spokesman for Russia's Eastern Military District, Colonel Alexander Gordeyev said on Tuesday.
- US Military Head: More Training Weighed for Iraq Forces VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- The top U.S. military officer said Tuesday the overall U.S. strategy in fighting the Islamic State group in Iraq is not in question, but added President Barack Obama is considering further action, including expanding training sites for Iraqi forces.
- Iran to produce new indigenous destroyers: Deputy defense minister Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- Iran's Deputy Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic plans to manufacture new domestically-designed and advanced destroyers within the next few years.
- Lebanon - A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft DSCA 09 Jun 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Lebanon for A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $462 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Jun 5, 2015.
- Republic of Korea - Aegis Combat System DSCA 09 Jun 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea for Aegis Combat Systems and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $1.91 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- June 9, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Jun 2015
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/9/2015 The White House 09 Jun 2015
- 9 June 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Jun 2015
- China says G7 remarks on East and South China Seas irresponsible People's Daily 09 Jun 2015 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Tuesday lambasted the G7 over comments insinuating China is at fault over tensions in the East and South China Seas.
- China Slams G7 Criticism on Sea Claims VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- China on Tuesday slammed the Group of Seven (G7) nations for making 'irresponsible remarks' about Beijing's disputed territorial claims in the East and South China Seas.
- UN warns about worsening humanitarian situation in Yemen Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations (UN) has warned against the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen, which has been the target of military strikes by Saudi Arabia for over two months.
- Islamic State Militants Eye Mecca, Medina VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- From the battlefields of Iraq and Syria, the terror group known as the Islamic State is preparing yet another front in its quest to reestablish an Islamic caliphate, this time hoping to wrest Saudi Arabia from a royal family that has long maintained its grip on power.
- Administration, Analysts: Better Government, Economies Needed to Fight IS VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- As the United States approaches its second year of combating Islamic State, officials and analysts make clear that military might will not be enough to make good on President Obama's pledge 'to degrade and destroy' the militant group.
- Islamic State Sells Captured Teen Girls Like 'Packs Of Cigarettes' RFE/RL 09 Jun 2015 -- Teenage girls abducted by Islamic State fighters in Iraq and Syria are being sold in slave markets 'for as little as a pack of cigarettes,' the UN envoy on sexual violence said June 8.
- Ancient artifacts systematic source of revenue for ISIL: Report Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- The Takfiri ISIL terrorist group is "systematically" selling off ancient artifacts from Iraq and Syria as a source of revenue, a report says.
- Millions in Iraq need greater humanitarian support, warns top UN relief official UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- Millions of people are in need of a greater assistance across Iraq, said Stephen O'Brien, the new Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, following a two-day visit to the strife-torn country.
- New UN aid chief demands more Iraq access IRIN 09 Jun 2015 -- The new United Nations aid chief has used his first overseas trip to highlight Iraq's humanitarian crisis, telling IRIN he is desperately seeking more funds and better access to the country.
- Iran providing only military advice to Iraq, says Cmdr ISNA 09 Jun 2015 -- Iranian Ground Force Commander Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said the country only provides military advice to Iraq, and its support does not include other areas.
- Iraqi army repels ISIL attack on base in Anbar Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- The Iraqi army has repelled an attack by the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group on an army headquarters in the town of Karma in the restive province of Anbar.
- What do Turkish elections mean for Syrian refugees? IRIN 09 Jun 2015 -- While the European Union celebrated Turkey's election results on Sunday as a victory for democracy, the nearly two million Syrian refugees living in the country may not have been greeting it with such good cheer.
- Presenting draft proposal, UN envoy urges Libyan parties to 'heal rift that has torn your country apart' UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- Telling stakeholders in Libya's dialogue that "mothers across [the country] have their eyes on you," the United Nations envoy for Libya presented draft political proposal and said that the time had finally come for the parties to take the difficult decision to make peace and begin the process towards national reconciliation.
- IS Seizes Libyan Power Plant Near Sirte VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- Islamic State militants have seized a power plant west of the Libyan city of Sirte, the group and a military source said on Tuesday, as the U.N. envoy to the country presented the latest draft proposal for a unity government.
- Ukraine: UN reports uptick in internal displacement as country's conflict grinds on UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- The number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Ukraine has soared to over one million due to the ongoing conflict in the country's eastern regions, the United Nations humanitarian office reported today.
- Top African military officials meet in Nigeria over Boko Haram Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- Senior military officials from Nigeria and some of its neighboring countries have held talks to define strategies for a new regional force against Takfiri Boko Haram militants.
- FARC Rebels Arrange Oil Spill in Colombia Amid Progress in Peace Talks Sputnik 09 Jun 2015 -- Members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) have forced drivers to empty oil they were transporting in a forest area in the southwestern Putumayo Department, with the environmental sabotage being staged amid moderate progress in the rebels' peace talks with the government.
- As presidential poll approaches, Côte d'Ivoire will continue to need UN support, Security Council told UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- For Côte d'Ivoire, the October presidential election represents an important milestone in the consolidation of the hard-won gains of recent years, the United Nations envoy for the West African country today told the Security Council today, outlining a very different environment from 2010, but nevertheless advocating for a continued UN presence there.
- Increased militia violence could push Burundi 'over the edge,' warns UN rights chief UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- Deeply worried at the increasingly violent and threatening actions by a pro-government militia in Burundi, the United Nations human rights chief today urged the national authorities to take immediate and concrete measures to rein them in.
- Conflict, Political Drama to Take Center Stage at AU Summit VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- African heads of state gathering for this year's African Union summit in Johannesburg will discuss conflicts raging in Burundi, South Sudan, Mali, and Nigeria, and other countries. Analysts say the continental body has made some strides in dealing with conflict, but needs to do more.
- Leader's aide: No foreigner allowed access to military sites IRNA 09 Jun 2015 -- Leader's Top Aide underlined that Iran will not allow access of foreigners to its sensitive military sites.
- IAEA can verify Iran nuclear program in 'reasonable' time, Amano says ISNA 09 Jun 2015 -- Director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said the process to verify the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program will not be endless and can come within a 'reasonable' period of time.
- Iran won't let foreign inspection of military sites: Velayati Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- A senior Iranian official has stressed that Tehran will not allow any foreign inspection of Iran's military sites, noting that the Western rhetoric on the matter is only for their own domestic use.
- CIA Chief Secretly Visits Israel Ahead of Anticipated Iran Nuclear Deal Sputnik 09 Jun 2015 -- US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director John Brennan secretly visited Israel last week to discuss the much anticipated deal between Iran and six world powers on Tehran's controversial nuclear program, Haaretz reported Tuesday, citing senior Israeli officials.
- Bush wrong on Iraq: Rumsfeld Press TV 09 Jun 2015 -- Former US defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld says his commander-in-chief, George W. Bush, was wrong to push "democracy" on Iraq.
- MERS infections in S. Korea rise to 95 with 8 new cases People's Daily 09 Jun 2015 -- Eight infections with the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) were added in South KoreaTuesday, raising the total contagion number to 95 while one more death was reported, the country's health ministry said.
- Top US Inspector 'Deeply Concerned' About TSA Terror Vulnerability VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- The top inspector for the agency that protects America's flying public says he is "deeply concerned about its ability to execute its important mission."
- China launches space junk monitoring center People's Daily 09 Jun 2015 -- China on Monday launched a space junk monitoring center to protect its spacecraft in orbit.
- Russian Space Agency Reschedules 6 Flights to Int'l Space Station for 2015 Sputnik 09 Jun 2015 -- Roscosmos has rescheduled launches to the International Space Station to include six more for 2015.
- Ban welcomes 'milestone' agreement on new Nepal constitution UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the agreement of a new constitution for Nepal as "a major milestone" in the country's democratic development, a spokesperson for the United Nations confirmed today.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|