03 June 2015 Military News
- US, Coalition Partners Looking at Post-IS Strategy in Iraq VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- The Islamic State militant group and its brutal imposition of an extremist ideology across Iraq and Syria must be defeated, the United States, its allies, the Gulf States and the governments of Iraq and Syria, all agree.
- US general says fight against ISIL could take 'generation or more' Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- US General John Allen says it would take a generation or more to defeat the ISIL Takfiri terrorists in Iraq and Syria, describing the group as a "global threat."
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Official: 10,000 Militants Killed During Anti-IS Campaign VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that the military campaign to stop the Islamic State group has killed more than 10,000 of its fighters.
- Afghan security forces kill at least 28 militants Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- Afghan security forces have killed at least 28 Taliban militants and wounded several others in a fresh military operation across Afghanistan, the country's Defense Ministry says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Carter Visit Builds on Relationship Between United States, India AFPS 03 Jun 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter met Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar and called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi during an official visit to India yesterday and today.
- U.S. - India Joint Press Release on Secretary of Defense Carter's Visit to India DoD 03 Jun 2015 -- During an official visit to India June 2-3, Ash Carter, the United States secretary of defense, met Minister of Defense Manohar Parrikar and called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He also met the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and the National Security Adviser Ajit Doval. Before arriving in Delhi, Secretary Carter also visited the Eastern Naval Command.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter in New Delhi, India DoD 03 Jun 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- India, United States Sign 10-Year Defense Cooperation Agreement Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- India and the United States signed on Wednesday a ten-year Defense Framework Agreement, which includes cooperation on maritime security.
- Department of Defense Briefing by Deputy Secretary Work and Under Secretary of Defense Frank Kendall, Commander Jones, and Dr. Redd on the DOD Lab Review and Anthrax Shipment Investigation in the Pentagon Press Briefing Room DoD 03 Jun 2015 -- Presenters: Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work; Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall; Director of Medical Programs for DoD Chemical and Biological Defense Cdr. Franca Jones, and Director of the Centers for Disease
- Pentagon: Mistaken Shipments of Live Anthrax Worse Than First Thought VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- The Pentagon says the case of live anthrax spores accidentally shipped to commercial and military labs in the U.S. and overseas is much worse than first reported.
- USNS Mercy Arrives in 7th Fleet for Pacific Partnership NNS 03 Jun 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) arrived in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operations June 4 in support of Pacific Partnership 2015.
- Millinocket Makes First Mission Stop of PP15 NNS 03 Jun 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command joint high speed vessel USNS Millinocket (JHSV 3) pulled into the Independent Republic of Kiribati June 3, the first mission visit of Pacific Partnership 2015.
- Army, Navy EOD Techs Participate in May Underway NNS 03 Jun 2015 -- U.S. Army and U.S. Navy explosive ordnance disposal, or EOD, technicians trained together at sea during the May Underway exercise.
- US Air Force Launches Competition to Replace Russian Rocket Engines Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The program will be implemented using a public-private partnership.. Among main contenders are United Launch Alliance, SpaceX and Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc.
- US Missile Defense Ship to Arrive in Spain in Fall 2015 Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said that the US Navy guided missile destroyer is set to arrive in the Spanish city of Rota in fall 2015 to support ballistic defense efforts in Europe.
- Australia, US Alliance on Display for Talisman Sabre 2015 NNS 03 Jun 2015 -- More than 33,000 U.S. and Australian personnel will participate in the biennial military training exercise Talisman Sabre 2015 in Australia July 4-19.
- F-35 Jet, New Destroyer Evaluation Disputes Cost US Hundreds of Millions Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- US Government Accountability Office said that disputes between US Department of Defense operational testing and directors of two major programs cost the United States hundreds of millions of dollars.
- US Set to Deploy Advanced Weapons to Asia-Pacific to Counter China Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The United States plans to relocate advanced military hardware, including its newest stealth missile destroyer, to the Asia-Pacific region as tensions are growing between Washington and China over South China Sea, one of the key waterways globally.
- US to Continue Construction of US Military Base in Okinawa Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The United States and Japan remain committed to expanding a US military base in Henoko on the Japanese island of Okinawa, the US Department of State said in a press release on Wednesday following the meeting of US officials with Okinawa Governor Takeshi Onaga in Washington, DC.
- South Korea, US Kick Off Combined Military Division Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The new division consists of a brigade from the South Korean Army and the US 2nd Infantry Division in Uijeongbu, north of Seoul. Each unit will carry out normal duties in its assigned areas in peacetime.
- S. Korea test-fires medium-range ballistic missile People's Daily 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea's military test-fired a ballistic missile with a range of at least 500 km under President Park Geun-hye's observation, the presidential office said on Wednesday.
- South Korea test-fires missiles capable of striking the North Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has successfully test-fired two long-range missiles that can hit any target in North Korea as the two states keep fanning the flames of animosity on military grounds.
- South Korea: Test Shows Missile Can Hit 'Any Target' in North VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea said it has tested a ballistic missile capable of hitting any target in North Korea, in what is seen as a response to recent military provocations by Pyongyang.
- Historic visit to Moldova by the NATO Partnership Committee aims to deepen partnership NATO 03 Jun 2015 -- The NATO Partnership and Cooperative Security Committee (PCSC) concluded on Wednesday (3 June 2015) today a 2-day visit to Moldova. Representatives from five partner countries - Austria, Ireland, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland - joined the committee, which was led by James Appathurai, Deputy Assistant Secretary General for Political Affairs.
- Russia Defence Ministry reinforces its naval task force in Mediterranean TASS 03 Jun 2015 -- A large group of the Russian Navy ships has been included in the country's naval task force in the Mediterranean.
- Lack of Ukrainian components stalls construction of ships for Russian Navy - deputy PM TASS 03 Jun 2015 -- Russia cannot complete the construction of some naval ships as Ukraine has suspended supplies of gas-turbine engines, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Wednesday.
- Russia, Norway Team Up for Joint Exercise in Barents Sea Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- Russian and Norwegian rescuers teamed up in the Arctic on Wednesday for a joint exercise of oil spill preparedness and response drills in the Barents Sea, Russia's Defense Ministry announced.
- IRGC commander stresses Iran's preparedness to confront enemies IRNA 02 Jun 2015 -- Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Hossein Salami underlined the Iranian Armed Forces' preparedness to confront any possible foreign threats.
- Russia says preparing S-300 for delivery to Iran by 2016 Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- Russia is assembling its S-300 surface-to-air missile defense system to begin its shipment to Iran by 2016, the Kremlin's top official for the arms trade says.
- Diplomat: Russia's lifting ban on S-300 missiles supplies to Iran opens great opportunities TASS 03 Jun 2015 -- Moscow's decision to lift ban on supplying Tehran with S-300 air defense missile systems is opening great prospects of boosting military and technical bilateral cooperation, Iran's Ambassador to Moscow Mehdi Sanai has told the Kommersant business daily.
- French Navy Intelligence Ship Enters Black Sea - Source Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- A French Navy intelligence ship, the Dupuy de Lome, has passed through the Bosporus and Dardanelles straits to enter the Black Sea, a military-diplomatic source told RIA Novosti Wednesday.
- Vietnam Builds Two More Warships With Advanced Russian Technology Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- Two more fast-attack missile ships of the Russian Molniya class built in Vietnam were handed over to the Vietnam People's Navy (VPN) during a ceremony in Ho Chi Minh City.
- US Denies German Soldiers Vital Military Equipment - German Media Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The United States reportedly is denying German soldiers important reconnaissance equipment to protect them from attacks from Islamic State in Iraq, according to the German newspaper Bild.
- June 3, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 03 Jun 2015
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/3/2015 The White House 03 Jun 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for June 03, 2015
- U.S. Navy Accepts Third Lockheed Martin-Built MUOS Communications Satellite Lockheed Martin 03 Jun 2015 -- Following successful completion of on-orbit testing, the U.S. Navy accepted the third Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT)-built Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite.
- 3 June 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 03 Jun 2015
- Will South China Sea Dispute Lead to World War? VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- Will South China Sea issues trigger a third world war? While American scholars and New York investors are paying close attention to the political, military and economic aspects of the South China Sea conflict, others find the speculation unconvincing.
- China rejects misinterpretation of lnt'l laws on South China Sea People's Daily 03 Jun 2015 -- China on Wednesday rejected certain parties' misinterpretations of international law on territorial disputes in the South China Sea, saying its activities in the region were 'legitimate and reasonable.'
- US, please stop stirring up trouble in the South China Sea People's Daily 03 Jun 2015 -- Recent inappropriate actions and words by the United States on the South China Sea issue are an overreaction. They are undermining US international credibility.
- Yemen army, Ansarullah shell Saudi military site in Jizan Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- The Yemeni army and fighters with the Popular Committees, including Ansarullah forces, have shelled the communication networks of the Mazhaf military site in Saudi Arabia's Jizan region, reports say.
- Fresh Saudi airstrike kills 6 in Yemen's Hajjah Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- At least six people have been killed in a fresh Saudi aerial attack in northwestern Yemen as the Al Saud regime's deadly military campaign against the impoverished Arabian Peninsula country continues unabated.
- Saudi warplanes pound new areas across Yemen Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- Saudi military aircraft have conducted a fresh round of attacks against several areas across Yemen as Riyadh presses ahead with an atrocious military campaign against its impoverished southern neighbor.
- Islamic State Undeterred by Mounting Body Count VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- The United States and other countries fighting to push back and ultimately destroy the group known as Islamic State are being forced to confront an unpleasant quandary: an enemy unafraid of death and seemingly undeterred by a mounting death toll.
- With Dam Seizure, Iraq Fears Fight Against ISIL Could Become 'Water War' Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- After the capture of a major dam by Islamic State militants, officials in Iraq worry that the conflict will become a brutal war for water, with dire consequences for civilians.
- Iraqi forces attack ISIL in Salahuddin, kill 50 militants Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- Iraqi security forces backed by volunteer fighters have attacked the ISIL Takfiri terrorists near the city of Samarra in the northern province of Salahuddin, inflicting heavy losses on the militants.
- 300 ISIL militants killed in west of Ramadi Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- At least 300 members of the Takfiri ISIL group have reportedly been killed in an airstrike by the Iraqi Air Force targeting the positions of the terrorist group in the western province of al-Anbar.
- Signs Of Iraqi Fragmentation Emerge At Paris Conference RFE/RL 03 Jun 2015 -- Signs that Iraq's ethnic and religious divisions continue to undermine the battered nation's war against the Islamic State emerged at a Paris conference June 2 despite a concerted effort to display a unified front.
- ISIL pushing to reverse Kurdish advances in northeast Syria Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- Terrorists with the ISIL Takfiri group are reportedly pushing to reverse the advances made by Kurdish fighters in the northeastern Syrian province of al-Hasakah.
- Libya: UN envoy meets political actors and activists on reaching final agreement to end crisis UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- The only option Libya has, "the only real alternative for the future," is an agreement, Special Representative and head of the United Nations Support Mission in the country (UNSMIL), Bernardino León said at a meeting in Algeria with Libyan political leaders and activists today.
- UN-backed project to provide hundreds of new housing units to Palestine refugees in Gaza UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- Palestinian refugee families living in substandard dwellings and owners of homes demolished in last year's hostilities in Gaza, are among those gaining access to shelter under a United Nations-backed project to provide close to 450 newly-built housing units, which was stalled for three years due the lack of access to construction materials.
- The Catch-22 for Palestinian villages in the West Bank IRIN 03 Jun 2015 -- A small collection of shelters in the sweltering heat of the south Hebron hills, the village of Khirbet Susiya has barely enough electricity to power a fan, yet if has become a major Israeli-Palestinian flashpoint.
- Nigerian Military Rejects Amnesty International Report VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- A spokesman for Nigeria's military says accusations by Amnesty International of human rights violations are an unfortunate effort aimed at undermining the army's resolve to defeat terrorist acts carried out by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
- Amnesty: 8,000 Killed in Anti-Boko Haram Campaign VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- A human rights group says more than 8,000 Nigerians have died as a result of the government's campaign to stamp out insurgent group Boko Haram.
- More Than Dozen Reported Killed in E. Ukraine Fighting VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- A major battle flared Wednesday outside a main separatist stronghold in war-torn eastern Ukraine, leaving more than a dozen dead and threatening to push the country back into full-blown civil war.
- Renewed Ukraine clashes leave 17 people dead Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- At least 17 people have been killed in the latest round of fighting between the Ukrainian army and pro-Russia forces in the country's restive east.
- Central African Republic: UN chief to launch independent inquiry into sexual abuse case UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has announced his intention to establish an independent review panel to investigate the United Nations' handling of sexual abuse allegations involving foreign troops in the Central African Republic (CAR), the Organization has confirmed.
- Security Council condemns South Sudan violence, expresses concern over expulsion of UN relief coordinator UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- Renewing its support to the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and the vital mandate it is performing to protect civilians there, the Security Council today expressed its grave concern over the security and humanitarian situation in the country, which has been torn by "a conflict that is only growing more violent as it nears its 18th month."
- 'We can no longer stand by and watch,' UN official says, urging global action against spread of extremism UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- At a Headquarters forum on the role of media in combating terrorism, senior United Nations officials today expressed deep concerns over the impact of foreign terrorist fighters and their use of social media in spreading propaganda and radicalizing and recruit vulnerable young men and women to join their ranks.
- Burundi Delays Parliamentary Election Amid Political Crisis VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- Burundi has postponed a parliamentary election that was scheduled for Friday, but there is no word about the controversial presidential election set for later this month.
- UN health agency warns rainy season now hampering Ebola response in West Africa UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) today reported an increase in the intensity and geographic area of Ebola transmission in Guinea and Sierra Leone, warned that the onset of the rainy season "from now onwards" will make field operations more difficult and noted that community engagement remains a challenge in both countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|