25 May 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Against ISIL Targets Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 25 May 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban Denies Holding Peace Talks in China VOA 25 May 2015 -- Afghanistan's Taliban has rejected reports that its officials traveled to China last week and held talks with Kabul's peace envoys.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, Norwegian Inspectors to Fly Over Russia Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- Head of Russia's National Nuclear Risk Reduction Center Sergei Rуzhkov says that US and Norway will conduct a joint observation flight over the territory of Russia under the Treaty on Open Skies.
- Russian Arms Export Portfolio Stable, Stands at Over $50 Bln – Putin Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Russia must create a new generation of weapons and military equipment, train new, highly skilled professionals, strengthened country's position on the global market.
- Putin: Russia needs to overcome aggressive resistance on world arms market TASS 25 May 2015 -- Moscow is increasingly confronted with the aggressive resistance of other countries in arms trade, President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting of the Commission for Military and Technical Cooperation on Monday.
- Robo-Firefighter Signs Up for Service With Russian Army Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- A new robotic firefighting vehicle, based on a battle tank platform, has been put into service with the Russian Armed Forces.
- Russia Begins Snap Aviation Combat Readiness Drills Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- Russian Defense Minister Gen. Sergei Shoigu said that snap Russian combat readiness exercises for aviation groups and anti-air defense troops began in the Central Military District.
- Russia's Central Military District combat readiness snap check involves 12,000 troops TASS 25 May 2015 -- Some 12,000 troops, up to 250 warplanes and helicopters are involved in a surprise combat readiness check of the aviation grouping and air defense forces in the Central Military District, the Russian Defense Ministry press service reported on Monday.
- Combat readiness snap check underway in Russia's Central Military District - minister TASS 25 May 2015 -- The aviation grouping and air defense units of Russia's Central Military District were alerted in a surprise combat readiness check, Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu said on Monday.
- Rogozin: Europe to give worthy reply to Russia's Armata tank only in 15 years TASS 25 May 2015 -- Europe will be able to give a worthy reply to Russia's Armata tank only in 15 years, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said during the Voskresny Vecher (Sunday Night) program on Russian television.
- Russia's Landmark $2Bln Deal With Egypt for MiG Fighter Jets Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- Russia has agreed to deliver 46 MiG-29 air superiority fighters to Egypt and is soon expected to sign a deal worth approximately $2 billion, what might become the largest order since the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia's business daily Vedomosti reports, quoting a source close to the aviation industry.
- Sweden, Norway, Finland Host Arctic Challenge Exercise 2015 Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- Sweden, Norway and Finland will participate in Europe's largest fighter jet drills, dubbed the Arctic Challenge Exercise 2015 (ACE 2015).
- Norway-led Fighter Jet Drills Kick Off in Scandinavia Sputnik 25 May 2015 -- The Arctic Challenge Exercise 2015 is kicking off in Scandinavia.
- Vessel completes first patrol in South China Sea People's Daily 25 May 2015 -- A newly commissioned vessel in China's southernmost city of Sansha completed its first patrol in the waters around the nation's Zhongsha Islands.
- Iran Army destroys hypothetical enemy's surveillance drones in military drill ISNA 25 May 2015 -- Iranian Army Ground force hit and destroyed the surveillance drones of the hypothetical enemy on the final day of a military exercise dubbed 'Baitulmuqaddis 27.'
- Ansarullah, allied forces attack Saudi military base Press TV 25 May 2015 -- Fighters from Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement together with members of allied Popular Committees have launched an attack against a Saudi military base as Riyadh presses ahead with its air campaign against its impoverished and conflict-ridden neighbor.
- Iraqi Military's Will to Fight Questioned VOA 25 May 2015 -- As the United States honored its war dead, among them nearly 4,500 Americans who died in Iraq since 2003, questions continued to swirl Monday about the direction of the campaign against the Islamic State group.
- Iraqi forces make new headway in anti-ISIL fight Press TV 25 May 2015 -- Iraq's Shia and Sunni volunteer forces have made fresh gains in their fight against the ISIL terror group in northern Salahuddin province.
- Iraqi Forces Advance On IS-Controlled Ramadi RFE/RL 25 May 2015 -- Iraqi government forces aided by Shi'ite militias and Sunni tribal fighters have retaken ground lost a week ago to Islamic State (IS) militants and are continuing to advance toward the western Iraqi city of Ramadi.
- IS Boosts Forces in Ramadi VOA 25 May 2015 -- Islamic State is fortifying its ranks in the Iraqi city of Ramadi as military and paramilitary forces plan a counteroffensive to push back the frontline in Anbar province.
- Pentagon chief blasts Iraqis for lacking 'will to fight' amidst hawks' call for U.S. troop surge People's Daily 25 May 2015 -- In a rare departure from the White House's reaffirmed support for the Iraqi government after occupation of the crucial Iraqi city Ramadi by the extremist group Islamic State (IS), U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Sunday blamed the Iraqis for lacking will to fight.
- The case that exposes Jordan's deportation double standards IRIN 25 May 2015 -- Wael al-Sahlee's journey went into reverse pretty quickly.
- Boko Haram attacks town in NE Nigeria, kills several Press TV 25 May 2015 -- Boko Haram Takfiri militants have launched a fresh attack on northeast Nigeria' Borno state, killing a number of people and destroying dozens of houses.
- U.S. in South China Sea: troubleshooter or troublemaker? People's Daily 25 May 2015 -- Mere days ago, visiting U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry dismissed media reports that revealed a U.S. plan to send aircraft to challenge China, saying the stories did not reflect any political decision by the U.S. government.
- Iran scraps subsidized gasoline allowance Press TV 25 May 2015 -- Iranian motorists will see a monthly allotment of 60 liters of subsidized gasoline canceled from Tuesday.
- The Mysterious Assassination Of A Rebel Commander In Ukraine RFE/RL 25 May 2015 -- This much is clear: a leading pro-Russian separatist commander in eastern Ukraine and several of his associates were killed in a gangland-style hit on May 23. The question is, who carried it out?
- Poland's Next President Could Ruffle Feathers In Moscow And Brussels RFE/RL 25 May 2015 -- Poland's weekend presidential election has ushered in a socially conservative opposition nationalist who wants closer defense ties to the West but is skeptical of giving Brussels more clout over Warsaw's affairs.
- Turkmen President Honors Himself With Giant Gold Horse Statue RFE/RL 25 May 2015 -- Authorities in Turkmenistan have unveiled a giant golden statue of President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov on horseback in the capital, a towering sign of a growing personality cult celebrating the authoritarian leader.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|