04 May 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 04 May 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Iraq AFPS 04 May 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban attack on checkpoints in remote northeast kills 16 policemen Press TV 04 May 2015 -- Taliban terrorists have attacked checkpoints in a remote northeastern region in Afghanistan, killing at least 16 policemen.
- Taliban Attacks 10 Police Stations in Afghanistan, 100 Officers Missing Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- At least 10 police stations in northeast Afghanistan have come under attack by the Taliban and as many as 100 missing police officers are feared dead, an Afghan military official said Monday.
- Taliban Claims Responsibilty for Attacks that Kill 18 Afghans VOA 04 May 2015 -- Afghan officials have confirmed at least 16 soldiers are dead and more than a dozen wounded after a Taliban attack in a northeastern border region.
- U.S. Aircraft Land in Nepal to Assist Earthquake Recovery AFPS 04 May 2015 -- U.S. military aircraft landed in Kathmandu, Nepal, yesterday to assist in recovery efforts following a magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck there April 25, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters today.
- U.S. Marine aircraft arrive in Kathmandu to support Nepal earthquake relief USMC News 04 May 2015 -- Four MV-22B Ospreys arrived at Tribhuvan International Airport May 3 to support relief efforts in central Nepal after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck the country on April 25.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Mitscher Returns Home NNS 04 May 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Mitscher (DDG 57) returned home to Naval Station Norfolk May 4 completing a seven-month independent deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility.
- Fort Worth Makes Stop in the Philippines NNS 04 May 2015 -- The littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) stopped in Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines, May 4 to resupply and refuel before continuing routine operations in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of responsibility.
- GHWB Tests MAGIC CARPET NNS 04 May 2015 -- The 'Salty Dogs' of Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 23 tested for the first time on an aircraft carrier the Maritime Augmented Guidance with Integrated Controls for Carrier Approach and Recovery Precision Enabling Technologies (MAGIC CARPET) system while underway on board the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) in the Atlantic Ocean, April 20-23.
- US Navy Carrier Drone Snagged by Delays, Indecision on Features Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- The multi-billion dollar UCLASS is the Navy's project to develop an unmanned aircraft able to be launched from aircraft carriers to provide strike capability, surveillance and air support. The project has experienced delays amid the debate about what features should have priority, given costs and available technology.
- Anti-submarine warfare exercise 'Dynamic Mongoose' starts off Norwegian coast NATO 04 May 2015 -- NATO started its biggest anti-submarine warfare exercises this year in the North Sea on Monday (4 May 2015), for drills focused on detecting and defending against submarines.
- NATO's large-scale anti-submarine exercises start in Norway TASS 04 May 2015 -- NATO's large-scale anti-submarine drills dubbed Dynamic Mongoose 2015 have started off Norway's western coast, the NATO Allied Maritime Command reported on Monday.
- US, Denmark Inspectors to Fly Over Russia in Observation Aircraft Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- Within the framework of the Open Skies Treaty, a joint mission of the United States and Denmark will fly over Russian territory in an American OC-135B aircraft.
- Russian Tu-160 Heavy Bomber to Be Invisible to Air Defense Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- Russian KRET concern is developing a new aircraft guidance system, a targeting and navigation complex, a weapons control system and other electronic equipment. A total of 800 firms and organizations are involved in the modernization of the Tu-160 aircraft.
- Latvian Military Claims to Have Spotted 2 Russian Warships, Sub Near Border Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- The Latvian National Armed Forces claim to have detected two Russian military ships and a submarine near Latvia's border.
- Finland Sends Letters To Reservists RFE/RL 04 May 2015 -- The Finnish military has begun sending letters to some 900,000 reservists amid increased tensions between the Nordic states and Russia over the Ukraine crisis.
- Major War Games Kick Off in Estonia Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- A major drill, involving a record-breaking number of troops began in Estonia Monday, the General Staff of the Estonian Defense Forces said in a statement.
- Poland's president signs law on establishing Polish-Lithuanian-Ukrainian military brigade TASS 04 May 2015 -- President of Poland Bronislaw Komorowski has signed a resolution on establishing the Polish-Lithuanian-Ukrainian military brigade, the Polish leader's office reported on Monday.
- French President Inks Rafale Sale Deal During Qatar Visit Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- French President François Hollande signed with Qatari leaders a multi-billion-euro deal to sell Rafale fighter jets to the emirate shortly after he arrived in Doha at the start on Monday of a two-day tour of the Middle East.
- Hollande oversees signing deal to sell fighter jets to Qatar Press TV 04 May 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande has overseen a major military deal with Qatar which will supply the Arab country with dozens of state-of-the-art fighter jets.
- Arab states want additional US arms to back Iran nuclear deal: Report Press TV 04 May 2015 -- Arab countries in the Persian Gulf are reportedly seeking more weapons in order to support a potential nuclear agreement with Iran during an upcoming meeting with US President Barack Obama.
- HMS Bulwark and Merlin helicopters ready for operations in the Mediterranean UK MOD 04 May 2015 -- HMS Bulwark and three Merlin helicopters are now ready to operate in the Mediterranean, working closely with the Italian Navy, and coordinated via Rome.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route New York, New York, 5/4/2015 The White House 04 May 2015
- May 4, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 May 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for May 04, 2015
- US Awards $600 Million for NATO's Ballistic Missile Defense Kill Vehicle Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- The US Missile Defense Agency awarded a $600 million contract for 44 anti-ballistic missiles to be placed in Romania as part of the NATO's missile defense shield, US defense contractor Raytheon said in a statement on Monday.
- 4 May 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 May 2015
- US Examines Report on Saudi Arabia Cluster Bombs Use in Yemen Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- The Human Rights Watch report said that available video, photographs and other credible evidence had shown that the Saudi-led coalition had used cluster bombs near villages in northern Yemen, 'putting local people in danger.'
- Yemen: UN relief official urges 'safe and reliable' access to Sana'a airport to deliver critical aid UN News 04 May 2015 -- The aid operation in Yemen cannot meet the life-saving needs of people unless humanitarians are assured safe and reliable access to the capital's international airport, the United Nations relief coordinator for the country said today, calling it an "essential lifeline."
- UN Relief Officials Appeal to Saudis to Stop Bombing Yemen Airport VOA 04 May 2015 -- United Nations relief officials are pleading with Saudi Arabia to stop targeting the main international airport in Yemen, saying airstrikes have destroyed runways and left them useless.
- Yemeni army, Popular Committees thwart Saudi naval attack on Aden Press TV 04 May 2015 -- Yemeni army soldiers backed by members of the Popular Committees have managed to foil an attack launched by Saudi naval forces on Yemen's strategic port city of Aden in the south.
- Egypt Extends Participation in Anti-Houthi Operation in Yemen for 3 Months Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- The Egyptian government has decided to prolong the mandate for its troops' involvement in the Saudi-led operation against Houthi rebels in Yemen for 3 months, Egyptian TV reports say.
- New clashes in Ukraine leave two people dead, five wounded Press TV 04 May 2015 -- A fresh wave of violence in Ukraine's restive eastern regions has left two people dead and five others wounded as the warring sides blame each other of violating a truce deal.
- Three Chinese Vessels Enter Disputed Japanese Waters in East China Sea Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- Three Chinese coast guard vessels entered the waters of the Senkaku Islands, also known as the Diaoyu Islands and subject to a territorial dispute between Japan and China, local media reported Monday.
- Construction in S China Sea to boost rescue efforts People's Daily 04 May 2015 -- China's ongoing efforts to build and upgrade infrastructure on islands and reefs in the South China Sea will improve its maritime search and rescue capability and help other nations, according to military experts.
- Turkey Opposition Puts $16B Price Tag on Neighborhood Wars VOA 04 May 2015 -- Turkey's main opposition party says the Syrian civil war and the conflict in Iraq have cost the country more than $16 billion in the past four years in refugee costs, lost import and export opportunities, and reduced tourism revenue, and it blames President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for having worsened the economic fallout for Turkey from the neighboring conflicts by pursuing what it calls "wrong policies."
- US Official Calls for Myanmar to Increase Protections for Religious Minorities VOA 04 May 2015 -- The U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom says Myanmar is facing a serious challenge regarding equality of non-Buddhists in the country.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Trip to Somalia US Dept. of State 04 May 2015-
- US advised to escort ships in Gulf of Aden IRNA 04 May 2015 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari on Monday called on the US Navy officials to escort their ships in the Gulf of Aden and Bab el-Mandeb.
- 'Iran found new way to dodge sanctions' ISNA 04 May 2015 -- Iranian officials said a mechanism to trade with other countries in local currencies will help dodge sanctions.
- Iran, P5+1 resume writing draft of nuclear deal Press TV 04 May 2015 -- Representatives of Iran and the P5+1 group have resumed writing the draft of a comprehensive deal on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Process of drafting N deal moving forward, Zarif says Press TV 04 May 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran and the P5+1 group of countries are working on the draft of a final deal over Tehran's nuclear work.
- Tensions Simmer in Hong Kong in Lead Up to Vote VOA 04 May 2015 -- Political tensions continued in Hong Kong as pro-democracy legislators vowed to veto Beijing's plan for electoral reform in the city.
- In Nepal, senior UN official warns 'clock is ticking' for earthquake relief efforts UN News 04 May 2015 -- The global humanitarian community is fighting against the clock as it delivers critical relief to Nepal's most devastated communities, a top United Nations official said today as she urged international donors to step up their support.
- Nepal Quake Death Toll Tops 7,000 VOA 04 May 2015 -- Four more people have been rescued from underneath rubble, days after the devastating earthquake in Nepal, including a 101-year-old man.
- German prosecutor investigates BND spying Press TV 04 May 2015 -- Germany's top public prosecutor is looking into accusations that the country's intelligence agency violated laws by helping the United States spy on European officials and firms.
- Merkel Says Germany in Discussions With US Over NSA Surveillance Sputnik 04 May 2015 -- Berlin is engaged in consultations with Washington on the National Security Agency's (NSA) surveillance practices, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday.
- Tajikistan Jails 10 As Members Of Banned Islamic Group RFE/RL 04 May 2015 -- A court in the Sughd region of northern Tajikistan has sentenced 10 local men to 8 1/2 years in jail each after convicting them of being members of a banned Islamic group.
- Burundi military to remain loyal to authorities: Cmdr. Press TV 04 May 2015 -- The chief of staff of Burundi's army has pledged the military's loyalty to the country's authorities as the central African nation is witnessing violent protests over President Pierre Nkurunziza's controversial bid for a third term in office.
- Burundi Police Open Fire, Kill 3 Protesters VOA 04 May 2015 -- Police in Burundi shot and killed three people Monday in the capital Bujumbura during renewed demonstrations against the president's attempt to extend his rule.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|