26 April 2015 Military News
- U.S., Coalition Forces Continue Airstrikes Against ISIL AFPS 26 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- DoD Sends Aircraft to Support Disaster-Assistance Operations in Nepal AFPS 26 Apr 2015 -- The United States has sent an Air Force aircraft to Nepal to deliver personnel and cargo in support of disaster-relief operations, according to Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren.
Defense Policy / Programs
- GHWB Tests MAGIC CARPET, Conducts Training Exercises and Ordnance Offload NNS 26 Apr 2015 -- USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) returned to Norfolk April 26 following the field-testing of the Navy's new Maritime Augmented Guidance with Integrated Controls for Carrier Approach and Recovery Precision Enabling Technologies (MAGIC CARPET) software.
- Will Russia Really Build a Fleet of Supercarriers? Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- Russian defense officials' plans to build a supercarrier have been scrutinized at home and abroad. However, the idea could have a surprisingly practical side.
- Russian T-14 Armata: Most Powerful Tank in the World in Details Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- The new Russian T-14 Armata Main Battle Tank (MBT) will likely steal the show at the 2015 Moscow Victory Parade on May 9.
- German Army Has No Chance Against Russian Tanks - German Newspaper Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- Germany lacks effective ammunition and will not be able to withstand Russian tanks in case of military conflict, the German newspaper "Die Welt" wrote.
- Poland to Sell Arms to Neighbors to Ward Off 'Russian Aggression' - Media Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- Poland plans to bolster the armament efforts of neighboring countries through government, bank and export loans, in response to an alleged increase inof Russia's military presence in Ukraine.
- Iran flotilla in Gulf of Aden: Navy cmdr. ISNA 26 Apr 2015 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari dismissed reports about a warning to Iranian ships in the Gulf of Aden, saying the flotilla is currently carrying out its mission in the strategic region.
- Iran Navy to send 35th flotilla to Gulf of Aden: Commander Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- The 35th flotilla of the Iranian Navy plans to leave for the Gulf of Aden to safeguard naval routes for vessels operating in the region.
- Kim Jong Un Calls for 'Revolutionizing' the Army's Training Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- The supreme leader of North Korea explained that a 'revolution' in combat practice would strengthen the Army's military capabilities by a hundred times.
- Seoul to Deploy Guided Rocket to Target North Korean Vessels Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- The rocket, which has been under development since 2012, is equipped with an uncooled infrared detector and can detect several targets simultaneously, according to the news outlet.
- Saudi airstrikes hit more areas across Yemen Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has continued its assaults on Yemen, bombarding several places across the impoverished country.
- Iran vows response to Saudi blocking of aid plane to Yemen Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- A senior Iranian official says Saudi Arabia's blockade of Yemen and its prevention of the delivery of the Islamic Republic's humanitarian aid to the war-wracked country will not go unanswered.
- Airstrikes, Ground Fighting Rage in Yemen VOA 26 Apr 2015 -- Fighting raged through Yemen Sunday, with jets from the Saudi-led coalition attacking Houthi-held positions near the presidential compound in the capital of Sana'a and ground clashes erupting in the southern port city of Aden.
- IRGC Commander: Regional unrests driven by US to counter Iran's influence ISNA 26 Apr 2015 -- The US has attempted to create and lead unrests in certain regional states to prevent Iran's growing clout in the region, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said.
- Bomb attacks, execution claim 30 lives in Iraq's Diyala Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- At least 30 people have been killed in two separate bomb attacks and a mass execution in the eastern Iraqi province of Diyala.
- UN agency alarmed by malnutrition among children displaced from Yarmouk camp UN News 26 Apr 2015 -- As the United Nations agency tasked with supporting Palestine refugees continued today to provide essential humanitarian assistance to civilians who have been displaced from Yarmouk and to those hosting them, evidence of acute malnutrition was found in a large number of children.
- Kurdish fighters recapture areas in northeast Syria Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- Kurdish fighters have retaken more areas from the ISIL Takfiri militants in northeastern regions of Syria, opposition sources say.
- Terrorist rocket attacks kill 6 civilians in Aleppo Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- Rocket attacks carried out by Takfiri terrorists have claimed the lives of six civilians in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo.
- Israeli Airstrike Kills 4 Suspected Syrians Militants in Golan Heights VOA 26 Apr 2015 -- Israeli forces on Sunday killed four suspected militants whom it says were caught trying to plant a bomb in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
- Battalion of Ukrainian Nationalists Refuses to Come Under Army's Command Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- According to Commander Nikolai Kokhanivsky, the decision was made taking into account that battalion forces were roughly disarmed and dismissed in violation of all the agreements with the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
- Leaked ASEAN Document Focuses on South China Sea VOA 26 Apr 2015 -- A final draft of the 26th ASEAN Chairman's Statement says the group will call for intensified consultations on a code of conduct for the South China Sea.
- Boko Haram Attacks Army Base in Niger VOA 26 Apr 2015 -- Suspected Boko Haram militants attacked a Niger army base on an island in Lake Chad, leaving many soldiers dead.
- G5+1 accepted complete removal of sanctions: Salehi IRNA 26 Apr 2015 -- The P5+1 group has accepted to remove all Iran's sanctions immediately after the comprehensive nuclear deal, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi said.
- Exit Poll: Nazarbaev Wins New Term With More Than 97 Percent Of Vote RFE/RL 26 Apr 2015 -- An exit poll says incumbent Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev has won a fifth term with 97.5 percent of the vote.
- Kazakh President Nazarbayev Reelected With No True Opposition VOA 26 Apr 2015 -- Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev was reelected to another five-year term Sunday, in a vote that saw no real opposition.
- Strong Aftershock Hits Nepal As Quake Toll Mounts RFE/RL 26 Apr 2015 -- A powerful aftershock struck Nepal as the death toll from a devastating earthquake rose above 2,500 and rescuers dug through rubble in search of survivors and the dead.
- India sends 13 planes carrying aid to quake-hit Nepal Press TV 26 Apr 2015 -- India has sent thirteen military aircraft to quake-ravaged Nepal, carrying food, medical supplies and blankets for the victims of the deadly tragedy.
- Merkel Knew German Intelligence Was Spying on German Companies for US Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- Germany's Federal Intelligence Service has been spying for US intelligence agencies for years. Merkel's Office should have been informed in 2008 about this practice, but the federal government has not undertaken any corresponding measures, a German magazine wrote.
- Film Portrays Putin As Protector Against Terror, The West RFE/RL 26 Apr 2015 -- Russian state TV is showing a new film in which President Vladimir Putin portrays himself as having protected the country, in his early years in power, against terrorists he suggests had Western support.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|