19 April 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria and Iraq AFPS 19 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan, Iran To Work Together Against 'Macabre' IS Threat RFE/RL 19 Apr 2015 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Iranian President Hassan Rohani have vowed increased cooperation between their predominantly Muslim countries to counter the threat from militant group Islamic State (IS).
- UN Officials, Analysts Question IS Action in Afghanistan VOA 19 Apr 2015 -- United Nations officials and skeptics in Afghanistan appear cautious about claims Islamic State militant group was behind Saturday's suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan in which 35 people were killed and more than 100 wounded.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Supreme Leader orders army to increase defense might IRNA 19 Apr 2015 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei ordered the Iranian army forces to increase their military might and defense power.
- Leader says Iran should be ready against threats IRNA 19 Apr 2015 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said enemies 'shamelessly' keep threatening Iran with military operations.
- Iran's defense doctrine based on deterrence: Commander IRNA 19 Apr 2015 -- Commander of Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad-Reza Pourdastan said on Sunday that the country's defense doctrine is based solely on deterrence.
- Iran Ground Force to hold massive drills ISNA 19 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Ground Force Commander Brigadier General Ahmad-Reza Pourdastan said the Force plans to hold five large scale drills in the Iranian calendar year (started on March 21, 2015).
- German minister supports arms export to Saudi Arabia Press TV 19 Apr 2015 -- A high-ranking German official has supported plans by Berlin to export weapons to Riyadh, saying German arms are safer in the hands of the Saudis.
- ICRC prevented from delivering medical assistance to people in Yemen Press TV 19 Apr 2015 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has been denied access to the town of Maareb in central Yemen, where a large number of people are in urgent need of medical assistance, it was reported on Sunday.
- Saudis will face crushing response: Iranian commander Press TV 19 Apr 2015 -- The commander of Iranian Army's Ground Forces has warned Saudi Arabia of facing a crushing response from inside Yemen if the ongoing aggression against the Arab country continues.
- Final accord 'very close' in Libya peace talks: UN envoy Press TV 19 Apr 2015 -- The UN envoy for Libya says that warring factions in the North African country have reached a draft agreement during their latest round of negotiations.
- White House Condemns Islamic State Massacre of Ethiopian Christians VOA 19 Apr 2015 -- The White House has condemned 'in the strongest terms' the mass murder of 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya claimed by Islamic State.
- UN humanitarian agencies mobilize assistance amid renewed fighting in Iraq UN News 19 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations' humanitarian agencies are rushing support to thousands of Iraqis fleeing a flare-up in hostilities throughout the country's Anbar Governate, the Organization confirmed today.
- Al-Shabab Ambush Kills AU Soldier in Somalia VOA 19 Apr 2015 -- Six African Union soldiers have been killed in two separate ambushes by al-Shabab militants in southern Somalia in the last 24 hours.
- Rafsanjani: Political rationality main factor for final nuclear deal IRNA 19 Apr 2015 -- Chairman of the Expediency Council Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Sunday that political rationality is the main factor to clinch final nuclear deal.
- Iran never to allow foreigners to inspect military sites: Top commander ISNA 19 Apr 2015 -- A top Iranian commander said Iran will never permit inspection of its military sites.
- Supreme Leader Says Iran Nuclear Weapons Are U.S. 'Myth' RFE/RL 19 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has called the notion of Iranian nuclear weapons a fabrication by the West to portray Iran as a threat.
- Khamenei: US Created 'Myth' of Iran Nuclear Weapons VOA 19 Apr 2015 -- Iran's Supreme Leader lashed out at the United States on Sunday, accusing Washington of inventing the 'myth' of Tehran's nuclear weapons threat.
- Egypt jails man over spying for Israel Press TV 19 Apr 2015 -- An Egyptian court has sentenced a man to life in prison over spying for the Israeli regime in the Sinai Peninsula.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|