12 April 2015 Military News
- Civilian casualties on rise in Afghanistan: UN Press TV 12 Apr 2015 -- Fierce clashes between Afghan government forces and Taliban militants have taken a heavy toll on civilians in the war-torn country, the UN says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US to Develop 6th Generation Fighters to Outrun Russian, Chinese Jets Sputnik 12 Apr 2015 -- The US Air Force and Navy plan to pursue the development and acquisition of sixth-generation F/A-XX fighters; they consider the fleet of existing jets incapable of handling their Russian and Chinese fifth-generation counterparts, something which they feel constitutes a real threat to national security.
- Estonian President Calls for Larger NATO Presence in Country Sputnik 12 Apr 2015 -- A larger number of NATO troops on the territory of Estonia would be 'reasonable,' Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves told The Telegraph.
- Egypt announces reshuffle in top army positions Press TV 12 Apr 2015 -- Egyptian Defense Minister Sedky Sobhy has announced a reshuffle in a number of high military positions.
- Russia Hits Nordic Defense Pact as 'Confrontational' VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Russia has criticized five Nordic nations for signing a joint defense pact, accusing the governments of Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden of 'confrontational approaches' to regional defense and security issues.
- Iran to unveil new defense achievements ISNA 12 Apr 2015 -- Iran plans to unveil new defense achievements, said Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Force Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan.
- UN chief urges resumption of Yemen peace process Press TV 12 Apr 2015 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called for the resumption of peace process in Yemen amid continuation of internal unrest and Saudi incessant military aggression.
- Saudi Airstrike Targets Rebel Camp in Yemen VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Saudi-led air strikes targeting a military camp killed at least eight civilians in the central Yemeni city of Taiz on Sunday, a medical source said, while France's top diplomat offered Western support to Riyadh's air campaign.
- Militant rocket fire kills 17 civilians in Syria's Aleppo Press TV 12 Apr 2015 -- At least 17 civilians have been killed in rocket attacks by foreign-backed militant groups in Syria's major northern city of Aleppo.
- Pope Uses 'Genocide' To Describe Armenian Killings RFE/RL 12 Apr 2015 -- Pope Francis has called the mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman soldiers during World War I 'genocide' at a Sunday mass where he marked the 100th anniversary of the tragedy.
- Turkey Summons Vatican Envoy Over 'Genocide' Remarks VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Turkey quickly summoned the Vatican's envoy to protest Sunday after Pope Francis marked the 100th anniversary of the mass killing of Armenians by calling it a genocide.
- US Republicans Continue Attack on Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Republicans in the United States continue to criticize President Barack Obama's preliminary agreement to restrain Iran's nuclear development program.
- Obama: Talks With Castro 'Candid and Fruitful' VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is back in Washington, following a historic face-to-face meeting with Cuban President Raul Castro and a first meeting with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Obama Meets With Maduro, Other Latin American Leaders VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Cuban President Raul Castro was not the only Latin American leader to meet with U.S. President Barack Obama at the Americas Summit in Panama.
- 7 Things to Know About Sudan's Elections VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Sudan begins voting Monday in general elections that will last three days.
- As Sudan Readies to Vote, President Bashir Looks Strong as Ever VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- Sudan is to begin three days of voting Monday in general elections that are all but certain to usher in another five-year term for President Omar al-Bashir. But opposition and international groups have said an oppressive political environment in Sudan puts the credibility of the polls in doubt.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|