14 March 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Coalition Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 14 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- USS Gary - U.S. Coast Guard Team Seizes over 143 Kilos of Cocaine NNS 14 Mar 2015 -- USS Gary (FFG 51), her embarked Helicopter Squadron (HSL 49 Det. 4) and embarked U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment intercepted over 143 kilograms of cocaine Feb. 10 after intercepting a suspected narcotic-trafficking vessel in international waters off the coast of Central America.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Fort Worth arrives in Busan as part of inaugural visit to Korea NNS 14 Mar 2015 -- The littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) arrived in Busan March 14 to strengthen partnerships with the Republic of Korea (ROK) navy during her maiden 16-month rotational deployment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.
- US Tanks, Troops Arrive in Estonia for Joint Military Drills Sputnik 14 Mar 2015 -- US tanks and equipment arrived in Estonia early Saturday to take part in international military exercises, the country's Permanent Representation to the NATO said.
- US Revises Seapower Strategy to Include 'All Domain Access' Sputnik 14 Mar 2015 -- The US Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard have revised America's maritime strategy to add 'all domain access' to its traditional sea-based defense functions, a Navy report says.
- Iran opens anti-ship cruise missile production line ISNA 14 Mar 2015 -- Iran inaugurated the production line of a long-range anti-ship cruise missile in a ceremony attended by Iranian Minister of Defense Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan.
- Pakistan launches home-made combat drone Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- Pakistan has successfully tested a domestically developed unmanned combat aerial vehicle equipped with a laser-guided missile capable of striking its targets with pinpoint accuracy in all types of weather conditions.
- CSTO Says Troops 'Could Be In Tajikistan In Three Days' RFE/RL 14 Mar 2015 -- The head of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) says its military forces could be at the Tajik-Afghan border within three days if a conflict broke out there.
- Venezuelan, Russian Troops Stage Large-Scale Military Exercises Sputnik 14 Mar 2015 -- The Venezuelan military is conducting massive air defense and artillery drills involving visiting Russian troops and hardware, the nation's Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez said Saturday.
- Press Availability in Sharm el-Sheikh US Dept. of State 14 Mar 2015 -- Press Availability by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Poroshenko, Biden Call On Separatists to Abide by Pact VOA 14 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko have called for Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine to fully implement Minsk peace agreements.
- Lavrov, Fabius Note Progress in Implementation of Minsk Agreements - Moscow Sputnik 14 Mar 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his French counterpart Laurent Fabius noted on Saturday progress in the implementation of military aspects of the Minsk agreements on Ukrainian reconciliation, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
- Kiev Yet to Complete Withdrawal of Heavy Weapons From Contact Line Sputnik 14 Mar 2015 -- Kiev has not completed the withdrawal of heavy weapons from the contact line in southeast Ukraine in accordance with the Minsk agreement, head of the breakaway Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) Igor Plotnitsky told reporters Saturday.
- Iran anti-terror assistance to Iraq unconditional: Iraqi commander ISNA 14 Mar 2015 -- The commander of the Iraqi volunteer forces hailed Iran's assistance to the Arab country in the fight against ISIL Takfiri terrorist group.
- Iraq forces brace to flush out ISIL dregs from Tikrit Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- The Iraqi Army, backed by Shia and Sunni volunteers, is preparing for the full liberation of the north-central city of Tikrit from the ISIL Takfiris' clutches.
- Iraqi Kurdistan says can prove ISIL used CWs Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- The government of Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region says it is in possession of evidence that shows the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group used chlorine gas against Peshmerga forces.
- Kurdish Authorities Claim IS Used Chlorine Gas In Attack RFE/RL 14 Mar 2015 -- Authorities in Iraq's semiautonomous Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) claim that Islamic State (IS) militants used chlorine gas in an attack against Peshmerga forces.
- Iraqi Kurds Claim Islamic State Militants Used Chemical Weapon VOA 14 Mar 2015 -- The Kurdish regional government in Iraq says it has evidence that Islamic State militants used a chemical weapon against Kurdish peshmerga forces.
- Kurds, Christians making new gains in northeast Syria Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- Kurdish and Christian forces have made new gains in northeastern Syria with a strategic village now retaken from ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Moderate Syrian Rebels Seek More US Help VOA 14 Mar 2015 -- Syrian rebel leaders say they hope their recent tactical gains around Aleppo will prompt U.S. leaders to reverse recent cuts in supplies and funding to opposition militias.
- Chinese fighter jets patrol China-Myanmar border after bombing People's Daily 14 Mar 2015 -- China's Air Force sent fighter jets to patrol over the China-Myanmar border after four Chinese were killed by a bomb dropped by a Myanmar warplane in southwestern Yunnan Province, a military spokesman said Saturday.
- China dispatches fighter jets to Myanmar border Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- China has dispatched fighter jets to the border with Myanmar after a Burmese warplane reportedly dropped a bomb on Chinese territory, killing four civilians and injuring nine others.
- Boko Haram can no longer seize another town in Niger: Minister Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- A Nigerien minister says Boko Haram militants have no more chance to seize another town in the African country as the situation is totally under control.
- Kerry Says It's 'Unclear' Whether Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Can Be Met RFE/RL 14 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says it is 'unclear' whether a framework agreement on Iran's nuclear program can be reached by the end of the month.
- Some Progress in P5+1 Talks on Iran's Nuclear Program Reached - Kerry Sputnik 14 Mar 2015 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Saturday the P5+1 group of international negotiators reached some progress in talks on Iran's disputed nuclear program.
- Kerry: Unclear If Iranian Nuclear Deal Will Be Reached VOA 14 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Saturday again slammed a letter signed by 47 Republican senators that warned Iran about a prospective landmark nuclear deal, calling the letter irresponsible and incorrect.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|