22 February 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 22 Feb 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter at Kandahar, Afghanistan DoD 22 Feb 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at a Troop Event in Kandahar, Afghanistan DoD 22 Feb 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Carter Greets Troops in Kandahar, Praises Progress AFPS 22 Feb 2015 -- As part of his first official trip to Afghanistan as defense secretary, Ash Carter made a stop in Kandahar today to thank U.S. troops there for their dedication to the mission and the progress they and their NATO and Afghan allies have achieved.
- US Defense Secretary Reviews Troop Plans in Afghanistan VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- New U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter visited southern Afghanistan Sunday to review plans to withdraw U.S. troops from the country within two years.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey Discusses Pacific Rebalance During Australia Visit AFPS 22 Feb 2015 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is slated to meet with his Australian counterpart here tomorrow, as he focuses on the importance of the U.S. military rebalance to the Pacific.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's phone call with British Minister of Defense Michael Fallon DoD 22 Feb 2015
- Germany Cancels Planned Armored Vehicles' Supplies to Lithuania Sputnik 22 Feb 2015 -- In summer 2014, Lithuania announced its intention to modernize its military forces and Germany was expected to contribute to the process.
- India's Rafale Dilemma: France Cannot Be Trusted After Mistral Faux Pas Sputnik 22 Feb 2015 -- France and India have been trying to ink the deal since 2012, with New Delhi becoming increasingly frustrated with its European partner. India wants Dassault Aviation to stick to the original terms of the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) contract. At the moment its cost has doubled.
- Last Chance: France to Attempt Negotiate Rafale Deal With India This Week Sputnik 22 Feb 2015 -- French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Drian will meet his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar in the week of February 23 looking to prevent the collapse of a deal to sell 126 Rafale fighter jets.
- Israel Buying Another 14 Scandal-Plagued F-35 Fighter Jets From US Sputnik 22 Feb 2015 -- Israel has upped its order for American-made F-35 fighter jets, adding another 14 jets in a contract worth $3 billion. Those jets are being added to a prior deal of 19 jets and comes with an option for another 17.
- Kyiv, Rebels Swap Prisoners In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Feb 2015 -- The Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels have exchanged prisoners in the east of the country as part of the shaky international cease-fire reached nearly two weeks ago.
- Both Sides Claim Weapons Pullout Ordered In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Feb 2015 -- The Ukrainian military and Russia-backed rebels each said they had given orders to pull back heavy weapons from the front line in eastern Ukraine in accordance with the recent cease-fire agreement.
- Blast Kills Two in Ukraine-Controlled Kharkiv VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- Two people were killed Sunday in a bomb explosion in the Ukrainian-held city of Kharkiv as government supporters there and elsewhere marked the one-year anniversary of the overthrow of the country's pro-Kremlin president, Viktor Yanukovych.
- Ukraine army, pro-Russians agree to withdraw heavy arms within days Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- Ukraine's army and pro-Russia forces have agreed to pull back their heavy weapons from the frontline of the conflict in eastern regions in accordance with the Minsk ceasefire deal.
- Iranian Army ends special mission in western borders IRNA 22 Feb 2015 -- Ground Force of the Iranian Army ended its special mission in the country's western borders where it had adopted a special arrangement following the terrorist group of Daesh (ISIS) entered Iraq, a senior Army official told IRNA on Sunday.
- US helped ISIL get more power :Al-Maliki IRNA 22 Feb 2015 -- Iraq's Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said US President Barack Obama is responsible for helping ISIL get stronger and enter Iraq and other regional countries.
- ISIL Takfiris kidnap 23 people in northern Iraq Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- Members of the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group have abducted 23 people in Iraq's conflict-stricken northern province of Salahuddin.
- Separate bombings leave 19 dead, injure dozens in Iraq Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- At least 19 people have been killed and dozens injured in separate bombings in Iraq, including a truck bomb attack on Shia fighters in the country, police say.
- Iraqi minister criticizes US over revealing Mosul assault details Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- Iraq's defense minister criticizes the US for revealing a time-frame for a looming offensive to recapture Iraq's second largest city of Mosul from the ISIL Takfiri militants.
- IS Claims Attack on Iran Ambassador's Residence in Libya VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- Militants loyal to the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for bombing the empty residence of Iran's ambassador to Libya. No one was injured Sunday in the central Tripoli attack.
- Syria condemns Turkey tomb operation as 'flagrant aggression' Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- The Syrian government has denounced the Turkish army's recent operation in the Syrian territory as an act of "flagrant aggression."
- Turkey's Evacuation of Tomb Guards In Syria Draws Rebuke VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- Damascus is calling a Turkish military operation in northern Syria to evacuate dozens of troops and relocate a historically significant tomb an act of 'flagrant aggression.'
- China calls in Indian ambassador to voice unhappiness on Modi's visit to disputed territory People's Daily 22 Feb 2015 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Liu Zhenmin on Saturday called in the Indian Ambassador to China to lodge stern representation on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to a disputed border region.
- Israeli aircraft violate Lebanese airspace Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- Israeli fighter jets have once again violated Lebanon's airspace, flying at low altitudes over several areas across the Arab country.
- Nigerian Suicide Bombing by Girl Kills 5 VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- A young girl killed herself and five others Sunday in the latest suicide bombing in the restive northeastern part of Nigeria, where government troops are battling insurgents from the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.
- Saudi Arabia reports two more MERS deaths Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- Saudi Arabia's Health Ministry has reported two more deaths from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), amid a United Nations' investigation over the recent surge in the kingdom.
- Somali Militants Threaten to Attack Western Shopping Malls VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- The U.S. homeland security chief said authorities are taking seriously a threat made by Somali-based Islamist militants against Western shopping malls.
- Zarif, Kerry, Salehi, Moniz in Geneva for nuclear talks Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and US Secretary of State John Kerry have begun a new round of talks in the Swiss city of Geneva on Tehran's nuclear program as a deadline to reach an inclusive agreement is drawing closer.
- Kerry To Meet Iranian Officials For Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 22 Feb 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is due to start two days of talks with senior Iranian officials on Tehran's disputed nuclear program on February 22.
- Kerry, Zarif Join Nuclear Talks in Geneva VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- The top U.S. diplomat and his Iranian counterpart met in Switzerland Sunday in an attempt to reach a deal on Iran's nuclear program by a March 31 deadline.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|