09 February 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 09 Feb 2015 [PDF]
- Kerry: US-led Coalition 'on the Road' to Destroying IS VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the U.S.-led coalition is 'on the road' to degrading and destroying the Islamic State (IS) group. President Obama's special envoy for the coalition, retired Marine General John Allen, said he expects a major Iraqi-led counter-offensive against the IS group in coming weeks.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Feb 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Airstrikes, Kurdish Forces Push ISIL from Bridgeheads Near Mosul AFPS 09 Feb 2015 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve airstrikes in support of the Iraqi government's fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant aided in security forces from the Kurdish region seizing three bridgeheads on the west bank of the Tigris River north of Mosul in formerly ISIL-held areas, task force officials said today.
- UAE F-16 Fighters in Jordan Ready to Attack Islamic State Positions Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- On Sunday, UAE sent a squadron of F-16 fighter jets to Jordan, resuming its participation in the US-led coalition against the jihadist militants.
- Afghan, Pakistani, Chinese Officials Meet for Security Talks in Kabul VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- Top officials from neighboring Pakistan and China gathered in Kabul Monday for the first round of a trilateral dialogue with Afghan counterparts to promote peace and stability in Afghanistan. The meeting comes as officials in southern Afghanistan say a drone strike killed a senior Taliban-turned Islamic State commander.
- Drone strike kills six in southern Afghanistan Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- Reports say up to six people have been killed after a US drone strike hit Afghanistan's southern province of Helmand.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Authorizes Service Stars on the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal DoD 09 Feb 2015-- The Department of Defense announced today that effective immediately, service members are authorized to wear Service Stars on their Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medals (GWOT-EM) to represent deployments in support of approved GWOT operations.
- 6 nations stand together during African Partnership Flight-Djibouti AFNS 09 Feb 2015 -- About 80 Airmen from Burundi, Djibouti, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and the U.S. stood together for African Partnership Flight opening ceremonies Feb. 7, at Djibouti Air Base, Djibouti.
- Approved innovation submissions projected to save $35 million AFNS 09 Feb 2015 -- Approved ideas submitted to the Airmen Powered by Innovation (API) program since it launched in April 2014 are projected to save the Air Force at least $35 million, Air Force Personnel Center officials said.
- Crew 103 of Littoral Combat Ship USS Fort Worth, HSM-35 Detachment to Deploy NNS 09 Feb 2015 -- Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Crew 103 and Detachment 2 from Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 35 departed San Diego for Singapore Feb. 8 to relieve LCS Crew 104 aboard the littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3).
- Key defense suppliers recognized for stellar delivery to warfighters Army News 09 Feb 2015 -- Getting top-notch materiel to the warfighters in the most cost-effective and efficient manner is what the American public expects of defense contractors.
- NATO to Continue Bolstering Its Presence in Europe - Obama Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- NATO allies will continue to enhance its presence in eastern and central Europe, US President Barack Obama said during a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday.
- Unity Will Prevent New Age of Disorder, NATO Chief Says AFPS 09 Feb 2015 -- Solidarity is needed to prevent a new age of disorder, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said yesterday in Munich.
- UK's first A400M aircraft named "City of Bristol" UK MOD 09 Feb 2015 -- Royal Air Force has recognised important role Bristol has had with A400M Atlas by naming first aircraft 'City of Bristol'.
- UK F-35 Lightning II testing begins in the US UK MOD 09 Feb 2015 -- 17 Squadron have begun F-35 trials as they mark the start of UK operational testing.
- Russian Mechanized Infantry Receives New Electronic Warfare System Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- The newest Borisoglebsk-2V electronic warfare system has been received by the mechanized infantry formation stationed in the Republic of Buryatia, the head of the Eastern Military District's press service, Colonel Aleksandr Gordeyev announced on Monday.
- Mi-8 'Terminator' Crews Begin Extreme Survival Training in Siberia Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- Mi-8 AMTSh 'Terminator' and Mi-26 helicopter crews in stationed Khabarovsk began 'survival training' exercises in extreme winter conditions, the head of the Eastern Military District's press service, Colonel Aleksandr Gordeyev announced on Monday.
- Russia Successfully Tests Small-Sized Anti-Submarine System in Baltic Sea Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- Russia's stealth corvette Soobrazitelny has successfully tested the country's newest Paket-NK small-sized anti-submarine system with anti-torpedo capabilities during the military exercises in the Baltic Sea.
- Russian Airbases, Navy Ports Not Being Created in Cyprus Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- The agreement on Russian-Cypriot military cooperation that is planned to be signed by Greek President Nicos Anastasiades later in February in Moscow does not foresee creating a Russian military base in Cyprus, RIA Novosti reported Monday, citing a diplomatic source in Athens.
- Russia concerned by Ukraine militarization Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has voiced concern about the rapid militarization of Ukraine, with increased defense spending, while the country is struggling with economic woes.
- EU Not Discussing Deployment of Troops to Ukraine, Supports Arms Deliveries Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- The issue of sending troops from the European Union to Ukraine is not being discussed but weapons should be sent for defense purposes, Lithuanian Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius said Monday.
- Poland Admits Possibility of Supplying Ukraine With Weapons Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- Poland is not ruling out the possibility of supplying arms to Ukraine, the country's defense minister said Monday.
- Iran unveils Saeqeh 2 fighter jets IRNA 09 Feb 2015 -- Iran has unveiled a new home-made fighter jet called 'Saeqeh 2' and handed it over to the Air Force, according to reports by Ministry of Defense on Monday.
- Iranian Army receives indigenous advanced fighter ISNA 09 Feb 2015 -- Air Forces of Iranian Army received locally-made advanced fighter in a ceremony on the verge of the 36th Anniversary of the Islamic Revolution Victory.
- Iran unveils indigenous supersonic fighter jet Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- Iran's Defense Ministry has unveiled a new domestically-built advanced supersonic trainer fighter jet, named Saeqeh 2 (Thunderbolt 2).
- Iran ready to train Iraqi army: General IRNA 09 Feb 2015 -- Commander of the elite Army Command and General Staff College (DAFOOS) Brigadier General Hossein Valivand said the academy is ready to train Iraqi army officers.
- Iran ready to train Iraq army officers: commander ISNA 09 Feb 2015 -- A senior Iranian military commander voiced the preparedness of the country's armed forces to provide training to Iraqi army officers, who are engaged in fierce battles with ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Iran ready to train Iraq army officers: commander Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- A senior Iranian military commander has voiced the preparedness of the country's armed forces to provide training to Iraqi army officers, who are engaged in fierce battles with ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- South Korea Pledges Response to North's Missile Launches Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- South Korea will 'sternly deal' with Pyongyang's provocations and will monitor the changes in North Korea's and policy, the spokesman said, Xinhua news agency reported.
- February 9, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Feb 2015
- 9 February 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Feb 2015
- Obama, Merkel Discuss Ukraine Situation, ISIL AFPS 09 Feb 2015 -- The United States will continue to stand with nations around the world in sanctions against Russia for its actions in Ukraine, President Barack Obama said during a joint news conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel today.
- Remarks by President Obama and Chancellor Merkel in Joint Press Conference The White House 09 Feb 2015
- Germany Warns 'European Order' at Risk Ahead of Ukraine Peace Talks VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- Leaders from France, Germany, Ukraine and Russia are due to meet in Minsk on Wednesday in the latest attempt to reach a peace deal in the Ukrainian conflict.
- Obama, Merkel Opt for Diplomacy in Ukraine Crisis VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- President Barack Obama said on Monday the United States and its European allies remain committed to finding a diplomatic solution to tensions with Russia over Ukraine.
- Kiev says 1,500 Russian soldiers entered Ukraine Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- The Ukrainian army says convoys of Russian military hardware and at least 1,500 Russian soldiers have crossed the border into Ukraine over the weekend.
- Obama Says Russia Has Clearly Violated Agreement On Ukraine RFE/RL 09 Feb 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama said after a February 9 meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Washington that it is clear Russia has violated a previous agreement on Ukraine.
- Germany Says Minsk Summit On Ukraine Not Yet Certain RFE/RL 09 Feb 2015 -- German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has raised doubts about the prospects of a four-way Ukraine peace summit on February 11, suggesting it is not yet certain the proposed gathering in Minsk will take place.
- Deployment of UN peacekeepers in East Ukraine Possible – Russian UN Envoy Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- The deployment of UN peacekeepers in the conflict zone in eastern Ukraine is possible, Russian envoy to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin said Monday.
- US Considers Sending Lethal Aid to Ukraine Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- US and German leaders are trying to overcome serious disagreements regarding their actions in Ukraine as the situation in the country's east rapidly deteriorates. A growing number of voices in the Obama administration support the sending of arms to Ukraine, while German Chancellor Angela Merkel has remained steadfast against the proposal.
- Donetsk Militia Claims to Have Control of Key Supply Route to Kiev Forces Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- The pro-independence militia in eastern Ukraine claimed Monday it took control over a strategic highway used to supply weapons and equipment for Ukrainian forces in Debaltsevo, the Donetsk military said.
- Kurdish Push in Iraq, Syria Prompts Sunni Fears VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- The Iraqi Kurds' offensive against Islamic militants in mainly Arab areas outside their autonomous region in northern Iraq is being applauded by Western powers relieved at jihadist setbacks. But analysts worry that the advances hold serious risks of undermining U.S. strategy to coax Sunni Arab tribes to join the battle against the Islamic State.
- Experts Worry About Lurking Shiite Militia Threat VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- Some regional experts and U.S. officials are warning that a collaborator in the fight against the so-called Islamic State militants could prove less friendly in the future.
- Syria rejects foreign boots on ground to fight ISIL Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- The Syrian foreign minister says his country will reject the deployment of foreign troops on its soil for battling the ISIL Takfiri militants.
- Another Iranian Commander Killed in Iraq RFE/RL 09 Feb 2015 -- A commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has been killed in Iraq, Iranian media reported.
- Iraqi forces kill ISIL commander in Anbar Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- Units of Iraqi security forces, backed by local tribesmen, have killed a senior commander of the ISIL Takfiri terrorists during a military operation in the western province of Anbar.
- Major Iraqi Ground Assault Planned Against ISIL Sputnik 09 Feb 2015 -- Struggling to loosen the grip of Islamic State-controlled territory in the country's north, a top US envoy says Iraqi forces are preparing to launch a large-scale ground offensive in the coming weeks, with coalition air support by its side.
- Nigeria's north sanguine after elections postponed IRIN 09 Feb 2015 -- Nigerian civil society is in uproar over the pressure exerted by the military on the country's election body to postpone scheduled voting by six weeks. But in the northeast, the heartland of the Boko Haram insurgency the security forces say they need more time to crush, there is support for a delay.
- Boko Haram Attacks in Niger, Cameroon VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- Nigeria's Boko Haram militants launched new attacks in Niger and Cameroon on Monday as the group's leader vowed to defeat soldiers fighting the group.
- 'Peace, stability and security' vital for South Sudan's war-weary people, says top UN relief official UN News Centre 09 Feb 2015 -- Continued conflict in South Sudan risks depriving the country of a generation of "lost" children, warned United Nations humanitarian chief Valerie Amos today during a press conference in Juba, the capital of the strife-torn nation.
- South Sudanese 'Desperate for Peace', UN Officials Say VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- A top U.N. official and an award-winning Hollywood actor and UNESCO ambassador warned Monday that unless peace is restored quickly in South Sudan, the country faces a bleak future.
- Donors Pledge $529 Million for S. Sudan VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- International donors at a conference in Nairobi have pledged an additional $529 million toward humanitarian relief in war-torn South Sudan. But despite the outpouring of goodwill at the conference, there was an undercurrent of frustration with the country's leadership for prolonging the civil conflict.
- Two Parties Walk Out of Yemen Talks VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- U.N.-brokered talks aimed at resolving the political crisis in Yemen resumed Monday, but two parties promptly walked out.
- Major Yemeni political parties resume UN-mediated talks Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- Representatives from major Yemeni political parties have resumed UN-brokered talks in a bid to reach a consensus aimed at overcoming the ongoing impasse in the Arab country.
- Why democracy may have to wait in the Central African Republic IRIN 09 Feb 2015 -- Insecurity and a lack resources could derail elections in the Central African Republic, crucial for the return to normality after almost two years of intense conflict.
- Middle East diplomatic Quartet urges resumption of negotiations 'as soon as possible' UN News Centre 09 Feb 2015 -- The European Union, United Nations, United States and Russia, representing the diplomatic Quartet on the Middle East Peace Process, have urged the resumption of Israeli-Palestinians negotiations "as soon as possible" and reached out for donor funding to accelerate reconstruction of Gaza "to address the basic needs of the Palestinian population and to ensure stability."
- Russia Sanctions on Hold as EU Waits for Peace Talks VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- European Union foreign ministers agreed Monday to postpone further sanctions against Russia for a week to give time to a peace push to defuse the crisis in Ukraine.
- Iran, P5+1 have political will to ink final deal, says Amano ISNA 09 Feb 2015 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano said Iran and the P5+1 group have the necessary political determination to strike a final deal over Tehran's nuclear program.
- Bangladesh army says won't meddle in political crisis Iran Press TV 09 Feb 2015 -- Bangladesh military says it has no plans to intervene to end the country's political crisis.
- Putin Visiting Egypt VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is starting a two-day state visit to Egypt at a time of major challenges and uncertainties for both Moscow and Cairo.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|