07 February 2015 Military News
- U.S. Can't Confirm IS Claim U.S. Woman Killed In Air Strike RFE/RL 07 Feb 2015 -- The United States says it has seen no evidence confirming claims by Islamic State (IS) militants that a U.S. woman held by the group was killed in a Jordanian air strike.
- U.S., Coalition Allies Continue Airstrikes Against ISIL AFPS 07 Feb 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- UAE Sends F-16 Squadron to Jordan to Wage Air Campaign Against ISIL Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- The United Arab Emirates has ordered to send an F-16 squadron to Jordan in order to join the country's air campaign against the Islamic State.
- Jordan Hits Islamic State With 3rd Day of Airstrikes VOA 07 Feb 2015 -- Jordanian fighter jets struck Islamic State targets for a third straight day Saturday, as the militants' claim that a Jordanian airstrike killed an American hostage remained unconfirmed.
- Islamic State Targeted in Onslaught of Airstrikes VOA 07 Feb 2015 -- Jordanian and U.S.-led forces targeted the Islamic State group in an onslaught of airstrikes in Iraq and Syria, military sources reported Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by the Vice President at the Munich Security Conference The White House 07 Feb 2015
- Obama's new security strategy stresses 'collective action' People's Daily 07 Feb 2015 -- The Obama administration on Friday unveiled its second and final national security strategy, stressing the importance of 'collective action' over unilateral ones in defending U.S. core interests.
- Fueling future training AFNS 07 Feb 2015 -- Tyndall Air Force Base is home to the world's largest F-22 Raptor fleet, and the only base that trains their pilots; but without the aircraft's maintainers, this impressive force could never take off from the ramp.
- Russia's Putin Suggests U.S. Bent On World Domination RFE/RL 07 Feb 2015 -- President Vladimir Putin says Russia is facing Cold War-style containment efforts at the hands of the West and will oppose world domination by a single country.
- NATO Buildup Near Russian Borders Undermines Security - Lavrov Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov reiterated Saturday that NATO military buildup near the Russian borders fuels up confrontation and undermines European security.
- Merkel Wants West to Build Security in Europe With Russia, Not Against It Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- The West is striving to build security in Europe together with Russia and not against it, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said during the Munich Security Conference in Germany on Saturday.
- Poroshenko Convinced Increasing Arms to Ukraine Will Reduce Violence Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko reiterated on Saturday his calls for military assistance to the country saying that the lack of defense capabilities leads to even more violence.
- West must not rule out arming Ukraine: NATO Iran Press TV 07 Feb 2015 -- A senior NATO commander says the Western states should not exclude the option of sending weapons to Ukraine amid escalating tensions between Moscow and the West.
- US arms supply to Ukraine worst idea: Russia diplomat Iran Press TV 07 Feb 2015 -- A senior Russian diplomat has warned against a proposal by the United States to supply weapons to Ukraine, calling it the "the worst idea under the current circumstances."
- UK Foreign Secretary Rules Out Sending Arms to Ukraine Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- Britain is not planning to supply weapons to Ukraine at the moment and prefers a peaceful solution to the crisis, UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said Saturday on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference in Germany.
- North Korea Tests Sophisticated Anti-Ship Missile Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- Pyongyang has test-fired an 'ultra-precision' intelligent rocket, which is slated to enter service and be used by the country's navy, according to the Korean Central News Agency, or KCNA.
- Iran stresses implementing Iran-Russia military agreements ISNA 07 Feb 2015 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan stressed implementing military agreement between Iran and Russia.
- Most Japanese Support Non-Military Assistance in Fight Against IS Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- The majority of Japanese citizens say that the government's assistance to the countries that are currently battling the Islamic State militants should be non-military, a poll conducted by Kyodo News revealed on Saturday.
- Background Briefing in Munich, Germany US Dept. of State 07 Feb 2015
- Biden: US Will Help Ukraine Defend Itself if Necessary VOA 07 Feb 2015 -- The United States wants a peaceful solution to the conflict in Ukraine but, if necessary, will help Kyiv defend itself against Russia, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said Saturday.
- Merkel, Hollande Warn Of More Blooodshed If Ukraine Diplomacy Fails RFE/RL 07 Feb 2015 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that prospects for peace in Ukraine remain clouded after talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and warned that tension between Moscow and the West could spiral out of control if diplomacy fails.
- Kiev Launches Large-Scale Offensive on Donetsk Militia Positions Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- Kiev-led forces attempted on Saturday to launch a large-scale offensive against the armed militia from the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) along the entire length of the separation line, a senior DPR official told RIA Novosti.
- Houthi leader: Transitional council can end political vacuum in Yemen Iran Press TV 07 Feb 2015 -- The leader of Shia Houthi fighters in Yemen says formation of a transitional council can foil all conspiracies as it would put an end to the political vacuum in the Arab country.
- Yemen's Houthi fighters launch 'security commission' Iran Press TV 07 Feb 2015 -- Fighters with Yemen's Ansarullah movement have established a 'security commission' one day after taking control of the crisis-hit Arab country.
- Yemen's Takeover Leader Says 'Hand Extended' for Partnership VOA 07 Feb 2015 -- Yemen's Houthi rebel leader Abdel-Malak al-Houthi defended the takeover of power in a speech Saturday, saying it filled a political 'vacuum' and was in the interest of the Yemeni people.
- Russia Riled by Japan's Renewed Claims to Disputed Kuril Islands Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said on Saturday it was upset by Japan's renewed attempts to lay claims to a disputed island chain in East Asia.
- Zarif, Kerry discuss March nuclear deadline IRNA 07 Feb 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and US Secretary of State John Kerry held new round of talks in the German city of Munich as a March deadline for a nuclear deal between Tehran and the P5+1 group approaches.
- Iran's Zarif, US Kerry hold nuclear talks in Munich ISNA 07 Feb 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and US Secretary of State John Kerry have held fresh talks in the German city of Munich as a March deadline for a nuclear deal between Tehran and the P5+1 group approaches.
- Kim Jong Un Watches Newly-Developed Anti-Ship Rocket Test-firing KCNA 07 Feb 2015 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission, watched a test-firing of new type of anti-ship rocket to be equipped at KPA naval units.
- 67th Anniversary of Kim Il Sung's Strengthening of KPRA into Regular Revolutionary Armed Forces Marked KCNA 07 Feb 2015 -- A meeting of the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces took place at the April 25 House of Culture Saturday to mark the 67th anniversary of the great Generalissimo Kim Il Sung's strengthening of the Korean People's Revolutionary Army (KPRA) into the regular revolutionary armed forces.
- Feats of KPA Guards Units (7) KCNA 07 Feb 2015 -- The Guards 6th Infantry Division of the Korean People's Army (KPA) is one of the units well-known for making a great devotion to the victory in the 1950-1953 Fatherland Liberation War.
- Feats of KPA Guards Units (8) KCNA 07 Feb 2015 -- The Andong 12th Infantry Division of the Korean People's Army (KPA) is well-known for having performed distinguished feats in the 1950-1953 Fatherland Liberation War.
- Military Parades Shine in Heroic Course of Korean Regular Armed Forces KCNA 07 Feb 2015 -- 67 years have passed since the first military parade of the Korean People's Army was held in Pyongyang.
- North Korean Financial Reforms Include Introduction of Credit Cards Sputnik 07 Feb 2015 -- As part of an effort to create a financial services industry, North Korea is preparing to create new financial products, including new forms of savings accounts, business loans, and credit cards, all for the purpose of stimulating economic development.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|