11 January 2015 Military News
- US assassination drone strike kills 8 in east Afghanistan Iran Press TV 11 Jan 2015 -- At least eight people have been killed and three others wounded in the latest assassination drone strike carried out by the US forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey: Lack of Credibility Will Aid Terrorist Group ISIL's Collapse AFPS 11 Jan 2015 -- Though U.S. and coalition airstrikes are destroying facilities and equipment controlled by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the terrorist group ultimately will fail because the people it's trying to control will reject its ideology, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in an interview broadcast today.
- Sony Hacking Shows Need for Cyber Laws, Dempsey Says AFPS 11 Jan 2015 -- The recent hacking of Sony Pictures that the U.S. government has blamed on North Korea demonstrates a need for new cyber legislation that he has helped to champion for two years, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in an interview broadcast today.
- Chairman: Sequestration Cuts Would Require Strategy Change AFPS 11 Jan 2015 -- Unless Congress changes the Budget Control Act, which now requires a return to sequestration-level spending cuts in 2016, the military will need to change its strategy, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in an interview broadcast today.
- USS Forrest Sherman Conducts Live Fire Exercise NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98) conducted live fire-training, Jan. 10.
- Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group Enters U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (IWO ARG) with embarked 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) transited the Suez Canal Jan. 10, 2015 entering the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations (AOO).
- USS Forrest Sherman Participates In COMPTUEX NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98) departed Yorktown Naval Weapons Station, Jan. 9, to participate in a scheduled Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) with the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TRCSG).
- USS Normandy Sets Sail For COMPTUEX NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- Sailors aboard guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60) set sea and anchor detail and heaved in all mooring lines for an early start to their beginning phases of deployment preparation, Jan. 7.
- USS McFaul Completes Live-Fire Exercise NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- Sailors aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS McFaul (DDG 74) completed a live-fire exercise during composite training unit exercise (COMTUEX) with the USS Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TRCSG), Jan. 9.
- USS Kauffman Deploys for the Last Time NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- The guided-missile frigate USS Kauffman (FFG 59), departed Naval Station Norfolk today for the ship's final deployment and will operate in the U.S. 4th Fleet area of responsibility.
- Amphibious Squadron Five/11th MEU Transits from U.S. 5th Fleet to U.S. 7th Fleet NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- After an extensive operational period with a variety of operations and exercises, two of the three ships of the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), along with embarked 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), departed the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations (AOO) to the 7th Fleet, Jan. 9, 2015.
- USS James E. Willams Returns from Deployment NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) returned to its homeport here today, following a nearly eight-month deployment in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations.
- USS Mahan Returns to Homeport NNS 11 Jan 2015 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Mahan (DDG 72) returned to Naval Station Norfolk today, following a five-month deployment in the U.S. 6th and 5th Fleet areas of operation.
- AF, small business developing critical processors for satellites AFNS 11 Jan 2015 -- The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) and a small business partner are developing technologies that they expect will enable successful use of high-power processors that operate on satellites with funding from the Air Force Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program.
- Swedish Forces Admit Second Submarine Hunt Near Stockholm: Reports Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- A second, this time secret submarine hunt was launched in the Stockholm archipelago when a 'very credible' informant reported seeing a possible conning tower a week after Sweden called off the initial search operation, the Swedish Armed Forces said Sunday.
- Russia's Strategic Missile Forces to Conduct Over 100 Drills in 2015 Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- The Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) of Russia are planning to conduct over 100 drills at various levels in 2015, SMF spokesperson Col. Igor Yegorov said Sunday.
- Defense Minister stresses improved ability to ensure stability in Xinjiang People's Daily 11 Jan 2015 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Chang Wanquan has called on the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps (XPCC) to contribute more to social stability in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- Chinese military to reshuffle grassroot officers People's Daily 11 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) has ordered chief officers in charge of military and political work at the grassroots level to switch posts to strengthen the army.
- Press Availability at Vibrant Gujarat US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2015
- Background Briefing in Ahmedabad, India US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2015
- 70 ISIL militants killed in northern Iraq: Source Iran Press TV 11 Jan 2015 -- At least 70 Takfiri ISIL terrorists have been killed in severe clashes with joint Iraqi soldiers and Kurdish Peshmerga forces in northern Iraq, a security source says.
- At Least 24 Kurds Killed by Islamic State Militants in Iraq Deadly Attack Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- Islamic State militants have killed at least 24 members of the Kurdish security forces in an attack in northern Iraq, Kurdish officials said. This attack is one of the deadliest single battles for the Kurds since last summer, reports Reuters.
- Ceasfire violated 51 times by Ukraine in 24 hrs: Donetsk officials Iran Press TV 11 Jan 2015 -- The Defense Ministry of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic says Ukrainian forces have violated the ceasefire agreement 51 times over the past 24 hours.
- Conflict in Ukraine Has Claimed More Than 2,200 Lives in DPR: Ombudsman Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- The armed conflict in southeastern Ukraine has claimed 2,251 lives only on the territory of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), the republic's ombudsperson Daria Morozova stated Sunday.
- UN condemns Boko Haram's 'depraved act' as child suicide bombers attack northern Nigeria market UN News Centre 11 Jan 2015 -- Appalled by the escalating bloodshed at the hands of Boko Haram in northern Nigeria over the past week, capped by reports that suspected child suicide bombers attacked a crowded market in war-torn Borno state, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Anthony Lake, head of the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), have both strongly condemned the terrorist group's "depraved act."
- Security Council strongly condemns terrorist attack in northern Lebanon UN News Centre 11 Jan 2015 -- Outraged in the wake of an attack by Jahbat Al-Nusra which caused numerous deaths and injuries in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli, the United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the incident and expressed its determination to combat terrorism on all fronts.
- Huge Crowds, World Leaders Gather For Paris Unity March RFE/RL 11 Jan 2015 -- More than 1 million people and 40 world leaders participated in a march to honor the victims of deadly terrorist attacks in Paris - a manifestation that French President Francois Hollande said turned the city into 'the capital of the world.'?
- Millions March in France Against Terrorism VOA 11 Jan 2015 -- World leaders joined nearly 4 million people in the streets of Paris and around France Sunday, in solidarity with the victims of a terror spree last week that killed 17 people.
- French terrorist attacks have nothing to do with Islam, says Zarif ISNA 11 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif reiterated that the recent terrorist attacks in Paris have nothing to do with Islam, adding that an international coalition is needed to deal with the events.
- 1000s attend Unity Rally in Paris following attacks Iran Press TV 11 Jan 2015 -- Following days of deadly attacks, hundreds of thousands of anti-terrorism protesters have gathered for a rally in the French capital, Paris, with world leaders and officials also attending the event.
- UNESCO chief joins world leaders for historic unity march in wake deadly terrorist attacks in France UN News Centre 11 Jan 2015 -- The head of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Irina Bokova, participated in today's historic march for freedom and solidarity in Paris, held in the wake of the deadly terrorist assault on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday, and after three days of subsequent attacks that killed 17 people in the country.
- US to Host Anti-terror Summit VOA 11 Jan 2015 -- The United States said it will host a summit in Washington next month on preventing violent extremism, as European and American leaders call for stronger measures to monitor people online and at borders.
- Common enemies use oil as political tool, says leader ISNA 11 Jan 2015 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said enemies are using oil as a political tool to exert pressure on oil exporting countries.
- New Republican Majority Wants A Say On Obama's Iran Talks RFE/RL 11 Jan 2015 -- Should U.S. President Barack Obama and Western powers reach a nuclear deal with Iran, they could face a new hurdle: a Republican Congress.
- Iran Tries to 'Speed Up' Nuclear Talks With US Representatives in Geneva Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Sunday the Iranian delegation will seek to speed up the process of negotiations on Tehran's nuclear program during the upcoming meeting with US representatives in Geneva.
- Iran to Present First Enriched Uranium-Free Fuel Complex in April: Official Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- Iran is planning to present its first enriched uranium-free nuclear fuel complex on April 9, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi stated.
- Peace on Korean Peninsula needs reciprocal actions People's Daily 11 Jan 2015 -- Washington's flat refusal on Saturday to Pyongyang's proposal of temporarily suspending nuclear tests in exchange for a halt to joint military exercises by the U.S. and South Korea does no good to trust-building and realization of peace on the divided peninsula.
- Service module of China's lunar orbiter enters moon's orbit People's Daily 11 Jan 2015 -- The service module of China's unmanned test lunar orbiter successfully decelerated which allowed it to enter an 8-hour orbit on Sunday, according to the Beijing Aerospace Control Center.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|