29 November 2014 Military News
- France deploys 3 Mirage fighter jets in Jordan Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- France has deployed three Mirage fighter jets in Jordan to help in the battle against ISIL Takfiri militants.
- Battle Ends After Taliban Attack Kabul Guest House RFE/RL 29 Nov 2014 -- Afghan officials say a Taliban attack on a compound for foreign aid workers in western Kabul has ended with three attackers and at least two civilians killed after a battle on November 29 that lasted several hours.
- Five Dead After Taliban Assault on Kabul Guest House VOA 29 Nov 2014 -- Afghan officials say two civilians and three Taliban attackers have died in an assault on a foreign guest house in Kabul.
- Taliban Attacks Foreign Aid Worker Bases in Afghanistan Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- The Taliban has continued its recent campaign of offensives with an attack Saturday on a guest house for foreign aid workers in the capital Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New combat rescue helicopter HH-60W to perform personnel recovery mission AFNS 29 Nov 2014 -- The Air Force has officially designated the new combat rescue helicopter (CRH) as the HH-60W.
- ISIL militants target Kobani border crossing with Turkey Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- The ISIL Takfiri militants battling Kurdish forces in the northern Syrian town of Kobani have mounted an attack along the border between the flashpoint town and neighboring Turkey.
- Ankara Denies Claims That IS Attacked Kobani From Turkish Territory Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- Turkish government denies claims that Islamic State terrorists attacked the town of Kobani from Turkish territory.
- US Military Campaign in Syria Failed to Weaken Islamic State: Syrian FM Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- Despite all efforts by the US-led coalition, the Islamic state is still going strong, stated Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem. Syria demonstrates its readiness to join the struggle against the Islamic State and together with Russia proposes restarting a political process between Damascus and the 'constructive Syrian opposition.'
- Iraqi forces gain more ground in Diyala Province Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- The Iraqi military, supported by volunteer fighters, has succeeded in flushing out Takfiri ISIL militants from the Hamrin Mountains in the eastern province of Diyala, Press TV reports.
- Fighting underway between Iraq forces, ISIL in Ramadi Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi armed forces, backed by tribal fighters, are engaged in clashes with the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group in the capital city of Iraq's western province of Anbar.
- EU Expands Sanctions On Ukraine Separatists RFE/RL 29 Nov 2014 -- The European Union has imposed sanctions on separatist leaders who organized elections in eastern Ukraine this month, hitting individuals and organizations with asset freezes and travel bans.
- Iran reaffirms sovereignty on three Persian Gulf islands Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- Iran has dismissed as "baseless" a statement by Persian Gulf Arab states supporting United Arab Emirates' alleged ownership of three Iranian islands, saying the Persian Gulf islands are integral part of the country.
- Abbas Accuses Israel of Apartheid Policies Over Jewish State Bill Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- Palestinian Authority leader asks meeting of Arab leaders for support in getting a UN resolution to end the Israeli occupation.
- Abbas to Press for UN Action on Independent Palestine VOA 29 Nov 2014 -- Arab League foreign ministers have met in extraordinary session to hear Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas discuss developments in the Palestinian territories and Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem.
- Ban condemns 'horrific' bombing of mosque in northern Nigeria UN News Centre 29 Nov 2014 -- Condemning the "horrific" attack on Kano Central Mosque, which killed dozens of people and injured hundreds of others, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on the authorities to bring the perpetrators to just and reaffirmed the United Nations support to Nigeria's battle against terrorism.
- Throng Protests Mubarak's Acquittal in Deaths of Egyptian Protesters VOA 29 Nov 2014 -- Egyptian police used tear gas and water cannon against more than 1,000 protesters upset with Saturday's acquittal of former President Hosni Mubarak in the deaths of anti-government demonstrators in 2011.
- Egypt Police Disperse Protest After Mubarak Ruling RFE/RL 29 Nov 2014 -- Egyptian police have used water cannon and tear gas to disperse more than 1,000 demonstrators in central Cairo.
- Paris vows support for W Africa's fight against terrorism, ebola Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- French President Francois Hollande says France will support West African countries against terrorism as well as epidemics such as Ebola.
- EC secretary acknowledges progress in nuclear talks IRNA 29 Nov 2014 -- Nuclear talks enhanced Irans position in the international scene, Secretary of the Expediency Council Mohsen Rezaei said on Saturday.
- MPs declare support for nuclear negotiating team IRNA 29 Nov 2014 -- Majority of MPs declared their support for nuclear negotiating team including the foreign minister, Hossein Sobhani-Nia, a member of Majlis presiding board said on Saturday.
- Germany 'spying on own citizens abroad' Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- Lawmakers in Germany are investigating a legal loophole that allows the country's foreign intelligence service, the BND, to spy on German citizens abroad.
- German Foreign Intelligence Accused of Spying on Citizens Living Abroad Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- German foreign intelligence service, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) has been accused by former employee of spying on German citizens living abroad using a legal loophole.
- Pro-China Ruling Party Loses Ground in Taiwan Elections VOA 29 Nov 2014 -- Taiwan's ruling party, known for its engagement with old enemy China, suffered a worse than expected defeat in local elections Saturday. The results hurt the Nationalist Party's odds of holding the presidency in 2016 and may slow talks with Beijing. The elections give momentum to the chief opposition party, which takes a tougher stance on China.
- Taiwan premier resigns after defeat in local polls Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- Taiwan's Prime Minister Jiang Yi-huah has stepped down following a serious setback suffered by his pro-China ruling party in the country's largest ever local polls.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|