22 November 2014 Military News
- US-Led Airstrikes Against Islamic State Kill Over 900 in Syria: Watchdog Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that more than 900 people have been killed by US-led airstrikes against the Islamic State (IS) militant group in the last two months.
- Obama Extends US Combat Role in Afghanistan Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- US President Barack Obama has secretly ordered an extension to US troops' mission in Afghanistan allowing them to fight against Taliban forces, American media reported Saturday.
- Report: Obama Broadens US Combat Role in Afghanistan VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- A leading U.S. newspaper says U.S. President Barack Obama has signed a classified order extending the role of U.S. troops in Afghanistan for another year.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 22 Nov 2014 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Muhammed Murdi Issa Al-Zahrani from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- USS Columbia Returns from Deployment NNS 22 Nov 2014 -- Family and friends lined the submarine piers of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Nov. 21, for a warm aloha welcome as the Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Columbia (SSN 771) returned from a scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Russian Rocket Supply for Satellites Launches Continues: US Air Force Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- The supply of Russian-made rocket engines used to send US military satellites into space has not experienced any disruptions despite tense relations between the two countries, a US Air Force spokesperson has told Sputnik.
- China, Serbia up military cooperation People's Daily 22 Nov 2014 -- Vice Chairman of China's Central Military Commission Fan Changlong met with visiting Serbian Defence Minister Bratislav Gasic on Friday, vowing improved military cooperation.
- Iran's Navy armed with advanced torpedo ISNA 22 Nov 2014 -- A senior Iranian naval commander said on Saturday that the Navy has been equipped with a super-advanced torpedo.
- First Heavily Modernized Ilyushin Il-76MD-90A Delivered to Customer Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- The Il-76MD-90A, a heavily modernized variant of the Il-76 multi-purpose cargo plane, has been delivered to its customer, Rossiyskaya Gazeta has reported. The plane is the first of many expected to be delivered to customers over the next several years.
- Russian Duma Approves Crimea Free Economic Zone Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- Russia's lower house of parliament has passed a series of measures with the aim of creating a free economic zone in the Republic of Crimea, Russian media have reported.
- Biden, Erdogan Discuss Syrian Regime Change VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden says he and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have discussed a Syrian transition of power away from the Bashar al-Assad regime.
- Iraqi prime minister orders further air support for Anbar Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has ordered further air support for army troops and local tribesmen battling ISIL Takfiri terrorists in the western province of Anbar.
- Iran ready to send arms to Iraq in battle against terror: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- A high-ranking Iranian military commander says the Islamic Republic is ready to legally provide military equipment to Iraq to help Baghdad in its fight against terrorism.
- Iraqi army forces pushing to retake Ramadi district Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by local tribesmen, have launched an operation to liberate a major district east of the central city of Ramadi in Iraq's western province of al-Anbar from the Takfiri ISIL militants, Press TV reports.
- Islamic State Terrorists Murdered 25 Sunni Muslims in Act of Revenge Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- 25 Sunni Muslims have been killed in an act of revenge by the Islamic State terrorists near Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province in Iraq. The bodies of the tribesmen were discovered by Iraqi Army soldiers during an Iraqi counterattack against the ISIL jihadists on Saturday.
- FARC to free captive general next week: Santos Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos says the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known as the FARC, plans to release a general and other captured military officials next week.
- Darfur: amid mass rape allegations, UN-backed event promotes role of women in peace processes UN News Centre 22 Nov 2014 -- As it continues its investigations into the mass rape of 200 women and girls in North Darfur, the United Nations-African Union hybrid mission in Darfur this week organized a forum focusing on the importance of integrated gender perspectives and women leaders in all peace processes – from peacemaking to peace building.
- House Panel: No Wrongdoing by US Military, CIA on Benghazi VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- A new congressional report concludes there was no wrongdoing by the U.S. military and the CIA in the response to the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012.
- Russian Foreign Minister: West Wants 'Regime Change' in Moscow VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has accused the West of seeking a 'regime change' in Russia by imposing sanctions because of the Ukraine conflict.
- Germany reports second case of avian influenza Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- A new case of the H5N8 strain of bird flu, which is highly contagious among birds but has never been detected in humans, has been found in a wild goose in northern Germany.
- Dutch culling 8,000 ducks to prevent bird flu outbreak Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- Health authorities in the Netherlands say they are in the process of culling 8,000 ducks in a bid to prevent the possible spread of bird flu as three farms have been infected by the viral disease.
- Mali Confirms New Ebola Case, Two More Suspected Cases Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- Mali has confirmed a new case of Ebola, while two more suspects are being tested for the deadly virus. Unnamed Malian medical officials reported a link between the new case and a nurse who died of the Ebola virus earlier this month.
- Mali Confirms New Ebola Case VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- Mali has confirmed a new case of the Ebola virus and said two more patients are being tested for the disease.
- Up to 300 Swedes join ISIL terrorists: Official Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- The Swedish security service, Säpo, says an estimated 250 to 300 Swedish citizens have travelled to Iraq and Syria to fight for the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group and the number is growing rapidly.
- 550 Germans join ISIL terrorist group in Iraq, Syria: German minister Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- Germany's Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere says some 550 Germans have so far left the country to join the ISIL terrorist group in Syria and Iraq.
- France Struggles to Understand Converts to Radical Islam VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- In the Normandy town where he grew up, Maxime Hauchard was known as a nice young man who liked movies and tinkering with motorbikes. He converted to Islam, but apart from that, nobody remembers anything remarkable about him.
- Iran rejects IAEA report as politically motivated IRNA 22 Nov 2014 -- Spokesman for Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Behrouz Kamalvandi on Saturday rejected a recent report by the International Atomic Energy Agency on Irans nuclear activities as partial and politically motivated.
- Iran rejects reports on G5+1 new offer ISNA 22 Nov 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham categorically rejected reports that G5+1 has put forward a new proposal to Iran during Vienna talks.
- Kerry: 'Serious Gaps' Remain as Iran Nuclear Deadline Looms VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says that though negotiators are making 'careful progress' in talks on the future of Iran's nuclear program, 'some serious gaps' remain.
- Myanmar Military Chief Denies Presidency Ban Targets Aung San Suu Kyi VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- The military chief of Myanmar, also known as Burma, has told VOA the constitutional clause barring opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from becoming president is not aimed at her in particular.
- Japan should observe its commitment People's Daily 23 Nov 2014 -- Japan should observe its commitment as made in the four-point agreement that the two countries reached recently, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei said here Saturday.
- Spotlight: China reaffirms friendship, cooperation with Pacific island countries People's Daily 23 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping reaffirmed China's traditional friendship with Pacific island countries Saturday, pledging continued support and assistance to those countries in developing economy, building infrastructural facilities and tackling climate change.
- Germany Frees, Deports Convicted Russia Spy RFE/RL 22 Nov 2014 -- German authorities have released a woman convicted of spying for Russia and deported her after she served half of her prison sentence.
- UN chief condemns latest terrorist attack in Kenya UN News Centre 22 Nov 2014 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the brutal killing of 28 people on a bus in Mandera, Kenya in the latest spate of terrorist violence to afflict the East African nation.
- Bahraini security forces clash with anti-regime protesters Iran Press TV 22 Nov 2014 -- Bahraini security forces have been engaged in fierce clashes with anti-regime protesters who were angry at what they called farce elections in the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom.
- Biden Calls On Nations To Focus On Energy Security RFE/RL 22 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has said Europe should continue to diversify its energy supplies to reduce dependence on Russia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|