08 November 2014 Military News
- US-Led Airstrikes Target Islamic State Leaders in Iraq VOA 08 Nov 2014 -- U.S. officials said U.S.-led airstrikes hit a convoy of Islamic State vehicles near the Iraqi city of Mosul Saturday.
- Pakistani army kills 17 pro-Taliban militants Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- Pakistani security forces have killed at least 17 pro-Taliban militants in the country's northwestern tribal region.
- Reserve Airmen support Ebola fight on the ground AFNS 08 Nov 2014 -- About 15 air transportation specialists from the 446th Airlift Wing here are scheduled to depart for Dakar, Senegal, Nov. 8, to support ground personnel for the campaign against Ebola during Operation Unified Assistance.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Judge Dismisses Guantanamo Inmate's Plea to End Force Feeding RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- A federal judge in Washington D.C. has ruled against a Guantanamo inmate's request to change the manner in which detainees are being force-fed at the notorious US detention camp in the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the court said in a memorandum opinion.
- Iranian fleet arrives in Indian Ocean IRNA 08 Nov 2014 -- The 32nd fleet of Irans Navy arrived in waters of the Indian Ocean on Saturday enroute the Gulf of Aden.
- Why US is stamping down on Airshow China People's Daily 08 Nov 2014 -- China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition (Airshow China) is developing a growing international reputation.
- Lavrov: Russia Urges Not to Go Back to Use of Force in Ukrainian Crisis Settlement RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Russia urges not to foster the popular in Kiev ideas of going back to the use or force as a method of resolution of the Ukrainian Crisis, promises to contribute to political settlement of the situation in its contacts with both sides, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday.
- Lavrov: Russia, US to Try to Convince Ukrainian Leadership to Fulfill Geneva Obligations RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Russia and the United States will try to convince the Ukrainian leadership to fulfill Geneva obligations, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday after the bilateral meeting with the US Secretary of State John Kerry on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Beijing.
- Shooting Halted in Ukraine's Donetsk Region, Continues Around Luhansk: DPR RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Shooting in Ukraine's eastern Donetsk region, which continued throughout Friday, has subsided, but fighting continues in the Luhansk region, the headquarters of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) told RIA Novosti Saturday night.
- Russia to Prepare New Batch of Humanitarian Aid for Eastern Ukraine: Emergencies Ministry RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- The Russian Emergencies Ministry is going to send a new batch of humanitarian aid for the east Ukraine's Donbas region, the chief military expert at the ministry told journalists on Saturday.
- ISIL Takfiri militants shell refugee camp in Kobani Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- The Takfiri ISIL terrorist group has shelled a camp sheltering people displaced from the volatile Syrian town of Kobani, killing two civilians.
- Lavrov: US, Russia Agree That Syrian Opposition Should Be Represented by Various Groups RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Russia and the United States have discussed the political situation in Syria and the US side has agreed with Russia's thesis that at the talks with the country's government, Syrian opposition should be represented by a group, formed of various coalitions, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday following his meeting with the US Secretary of State John Kerry on the sidelines of the Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Beijing.
- Iraqi forces, tribesmen pushing to liberate city of Hit Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by local tribesmen, have launched an operation to liberate the city of Hit in the restive western province of Anbar from the ISIL Takfiri militants, Press TV reports.
- Iraqi troops retake full control of Baiji Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi troops have taken control of the strategic northern town of Baiji from the Takfiri ISIL terror group, Iraqi media report.
- South Sudan Warring Factions Agree on Unity Government VOA 08 Nov 2014 -- South Sudan's President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar have agreed on a power sharing formula in a deal to establish a national transitional government that would help steer the world's newest nation to elections.
- South Sudan: UN chief lauds steps to ending conflict between opposing factions UN News Centre 08 Nov 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has applauded the measures adopted by the group of African states working to end the simmering tensions in South Sudan and voiced hope that peace could quickly return to the young country, according to a United Nations spokesperson.
- Haram seizes town in Nigeria's northeast: Reports Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- Takfiri Boko Haram militants have reportedly taken control of another town in the volatile northeastern region of Nigeria near the African country's border with Niger, forcing many soldiers to flee.
- On 20th anniversary, Security Council honours role of Rwandan genocide Tribunal UN News Centre 08 Nov 2014 -- The Security Council today marked the 20th anniversary of the United Nations tribunal established in the wake of the 1994 Rwandan genocide, recognizing the court's role in fostering a process of national reconciliation and the restoration and maintenance of peace in the African country.
- Yemen's Houthi Reject President's New Cabinet VOA 08 Nov 2014 -- Yemen's Shi'ite rebels have rejected the new Cabinet put together by President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, raising doubts about the chances of ending the country's political turmoil.
- Indian army admits mistake in killing 2 boys in Kashmir Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- The Indian army has admitted that its troops made a mistake in a recent shooting that killed two teenagers in Indian-administered Kashmir.
- Press Availability in Beijing, China US Dept. of State 08 Nov 2014 -- November 8, 2014 Press Availability by John Kerry, Secretary of State at the China National Convention Center, Beijing, China
- Yemeni President Removed From Party Leadership RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi has been removed from the leadership of his party amid the ongoing turmoil in his country, AFP reports.
- Yemen: UN welcomes new government aimed at bringing peace to country UN News Centre 08 Nov 2014 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the formation of a new Peace and National Partnership Government in Yemen aimed at ending a period of political turbulence and bringing about a full transition towards democracy in the country.
- Kerry, Lavrov Hold Talks On Iran, Syria, Ukraine RFE/RL 08 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says there is no link between international efforts to curb Iran's controversial nuclear program and other issues in the Middle East.
- North Korea Releases Two US Citizens: US Department of State RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- North Korea has released two US nationals held by Pyongyang on espionage and rebellion charges, the US Department of State said Saturday in a press release that circulated the statement by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI).
- Ban welcomes release of two US nationals held by DPR Korea UN News Centre 08 Nov 2014 -- The release of two United States nationals by the Government of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) provides hope for "positive momentum" as international parties work to bring peace to the Korean Peninsula, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.
- North Korea Releases 2 American Detainees VOA 08 Nov 2014 -- North Korea has freed two jailed Americans who are now on their way back to the United States.
- Russia, North Korea Strike Deal: Improved Railway for Mineral Resources VOA 08 Nov 2014 -- A senior Russian official said Russia and North Korea are expanding economic ties through a rare joint project that would overhaul the North's railway system.
- Official: Amano report based on past unjustifiable practices IRNA 08 Nov 2014 -- Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), Behrouz Kamalvandi, said on Saturday that the 18-page Iran report by the Head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Yukiya Amano, is based on unjustifiable past procedures.
- Return to pre-Geneva deal situation, dangerous scenario, says Iran ISNA 08 Nov 2014 -- Senior Iranian nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi reiterated that return to the conditions before the Geneva agreement was concluded is a 'dangerous scenario.'
- Sanctions failed to yield intended results: Iran foreign minister Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- Iran says the illegal sanctions slapped against the country over its nuclear energy program have failed to meet the goals of those countries that imposed them.
- Lavrov: Russia, US Determined to Do Their Best to Agree on Iran's Nuclear Program on Time RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Russia and the United States are determined to do their best to reach an agreement on Iran's nuclear program before November 24, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday.
- Kerry: Russia 'Constructive Partner' in Addressing Iran's Nuclear Problem RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Russia has shown itself as a constructive and serious partner in the international efforts to settle the Iranian nuclear issue, US Secretary of State John Kerry said Saturday after his meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines of the Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Beijing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|