01 November 2014 Military News
- UK to Continue Supporting Afghanistan Through New NATO Mission: Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2014 -- The United Kingdom will continue providing support to Afghanistan through NATO's Resolute Support mission, a statement published on the UK Defense Ministry's website Saturday said.
- A lasting legacy in Afghanistan UK MOD 01 Nov 2014 -- With UK combat operations complete in Helmand, what is the UK's commitment to Afghanistan beyond 2014?
- Car bomber kills 11 police, soldiers in Afghanistan Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- At least eleven Afghan policemen and army soldiers have been killed and more than 20 civilians wounded when a bomber set off his explosives-laden car near a police checkpoint in Afghanistan's eastern province of Logar.
- US to send 'military advisers' to Anbar Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- The US military plans to deploy what it calls advisers to the Iraqi province of Anbar in order to assist the Iraqi security forces in their fight against the ISIL.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Task Group Exercise Comes to a Close, Ends with Success NNS 01 Nov 2014 -- Canadian, Japanese and U.S. ships completed a two-week long Task Group Exercise (TGEX) Oct. 31 off the coast of Southern California.
- George H.W. Bush Arrives in Marseille, France NNS 01 Nov 2014 -- USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) arrived in Marseille, France for a scheduled port visit, Nov. 1.
- USS Sampson, HSM 35 Depart on Western-Pacific Deployment NNS 01 Nov 2014 -- The guided missile destroyer USS Sampson (DDG 102) departed Oct. 31 on an independent deployment to the Western Pacific Ocean.
- Russia Test-Fires Topol-M Intercontinental Ballistic Missile: Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2014 -- The Russian Strategic Missile Forces test-fired on Saturday a Topol-M intercontinental ballistic missile from a launch site in northwestern Russia, the country's Defense Ministry said.
- Pentagon Claims Russian Air Force Planes Endanger Civil Flights RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2014 -- Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby during a press briefing on Friday stated that Russian Air Force planes pose a risk to civil aviation.
- UN Security Council Expresses Outrage, Support for Geneva Process After Bombing in Syria RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2014 -- After the deadly bombing in Syria of an internally displaced persons camp near Idlib, the UN Security Council on Friday unanimously agreed to a Press Statement, expressing outrage, and support for the Geneva Process.
- Kobani fighting leaves 100 militants dead in 3 days Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- At least 100 militants from the ISIL terror group have been killed in three days of clashes over Syria's border city of Kobani, also known as Ain al-Arab in Arabic.
- ISIL terrorists capture Syrian gas plant in Homs Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- ISIL Takfri militants have taken control of a main gas plant in the Syrian province of Homs, an opposition group claims.
- Violence kills 1,273 Iraqis in October: UN Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- New figures provided by the United Nations show that violence in Iraq has claimed at least 1,273 lives during October alone.
- ISIL kills 85 tribesmen, women in west Iraq Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- ISIL Takfiri militants have executed 85 more people from the Sunni Albu Nimr tribe in Iraq's western province of Anbar in the terror group's latest mass killing, tribal and security sources say.
- Iraq Peshmerga Kurds launch operation to free Sinjar Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi Kurdish fighters, aka Peshmerga, have launched a major offensive to recapture the northern town of Sinjar from ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Islamic State Kills at Least 50 More Members of Iraqi Tribe VOA 01 Nov 2014 -- Islamic State militants have executed at least 50 more tribesmen in Iraq's Anbar province as part of a mass killing campaign being carried out by the group for resisting IS rule.
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Urges Russia To Denounce 'Farce' Vote RFE/RL 01 Nov 2014 -- Pro-Russian separatists defied international criticism by holding elections on November 2 in areas under their control in eastern Ukraine.
- Six govt. soldiers killed in east Ukraine fighting Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- At least six Ukrainian soldiers have been killed in fresh clashes with pro-Russian forces in the country's eastern regions in the past 24 hours.
- US says won't recognize elections in eastern Ukraine Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- The United States says it will not recognize the elections planned for the weekend by pro-Russian forces in eastern Ukraine.
- Separatist-Held Ukrainian Regions To Hold 'Elections' RFE/RL 01 Nov 2014 -- Authorities in separatist-held areas of Ukraine's Luhansk and Donetsk regions are due to hold self-declared elections on November 2 which Kyiv and Western powers say are illegitimate.
- 42 Boko Haram members killed in northeast Nigeria Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- At least 42 Takfiri Boko Haram militants have been killed in a fierce exchange of fire with Nigerian army forces in the country's northeastern state of Borno.
- Boko Haram denies truce deal with Nigerian gov't Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- Boko Haram Takfiri militants have denied claims by the Nigerian government about a recent truce agreement that would facilitate the release of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by the group.
- Boko Haram Claims Kidnapped Schoolgirls 'Married Off' VOA 01 Nov 2014 -- A man claiming to be the leader of Nigeria's Islamic extremist group, Boko Haram, says more than 200 schoolgirls the group kidnapped in April have converted to Islam and been married off.
- DR Congo: UN mission welcomes Government request to boost presence in east UN News Centre 01 Nov 2014 -- The head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has welcomed the Government's request for more "blue helmets" to backstop Congolese troops fighting to protect civilians from armed rebels that have carried out a spate of attacks in and around the eastern town of Beni over the past month.
- Burkinabe colonel declares himself 'head of state' Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- A colonel in Burkina Faso's military says he will assume power as head of state amid the chaos in the country and shortly after another military official made a similar announcement.
- Burkina Faso Has New Leader VOA 01 Nov 2014 -- Burkina Faso's army backed a military colonel as the country's transitional leader on Saturday after the resignation of President Blaise Compaore, showing apparent unity within the armed forces after 24 hours of confusion.
- Citing progress in Guinea, UN Ebola response chief says disease 'still very much a crisis' UN News Centre 01 Nov 2014 -- Visiting Guéckédou, Guinea, where the unprecedented outbreak of Ebola in West Africa is believed to have started, the United Nations envoy coordinating the massive global crisis response said that while there are now "basically zero" cases in the town, the challenge will be to replicate the strategy to defeat the disease throughout the country and the wider region.
- Cuban Doctors Help Fight Ebola in Liberia VOA 01 Nov 2014 -- Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf inaugurated Friday the first of 17 new Ebola Treatment Units (ETUs) in Congotown, not far from the capital, Monrovia. The U.S.-financed ETUs were constructed by the military. During her speech at the unveiling, Sirleaf thanked international donors for their strong response to the worst ever outbreak of Ebola the world has seen.
- China goes ahead with its anti-Ebola aid People's Daily 01 Nov 2014 -- China is delivering more supplies and pledges to the West African countries struggling to quench the Ebola outbreak.
- Official rejects agreement on the number of centrifuges IRNA 01 Nov 2014 -- A member of Irans negotiating team on Saturday rejected news reports about an agreement between Iran and the US on the number of the centrifuges.
- Iran slams human rights double standards ISNA 01 Nov 2014 -- Iran's extensive efforts to improve the country's human rights situation have faced serious challenges, including politically-motivated meddlesome policies, said an Iranian official.
- NASA Completes Mars-Bound Spaceship, Readies for Test Flight RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2014 -- The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has announced it has completed the 'Orion' spaceship and it is now ready for its first test flight set for 4 December.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|