28 August 2014 Military News
- Statement by the President, 28 August 2014 The White House 28 Aug 2014
- U.S. Conducts Airstrikes Against ISIL Near Mosul Dam AFPS 28 Aug 2014 -- U.S. military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in support of Iraqi security force operations, using fighter aircraft to conduct five airstrikes in the vicinity of the Mosul Dam.
- Obama Tasks DoD for Options Against ISIL AFPS 28 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama has directed Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to present a range of options aimed at the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- Is West Doing Enough to Tackle Islamic State? VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has ruled out sending ground troops to Iraq to fight militants of the so-called Islamic State or ISIS, despite officials in Washington describing the extremist group as the biggest threat the United States has faced in years.
- Obama: Priority is Rolling Back Islamic State Gains in Iraq VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says his priority is rolling back the gains the Islamic State has made in Iraq.
- US Seeks International Coalition to Defeat IS Militants VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- The United States Wednesday said it is seeking to build an international coalition to confront the threat posed by Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria and Iraq.
- Obama weighs hitting ISIL, Congress demands approval Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- Calls are growing on Capitol Hill for US President Barack Obama to seek congressional approval before he expands the military air campaign against ISIL targets from Iraq into neighboring Syria.
- Cash and Heaven: How Afghan War Victims Are Compensated VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- The administration of Afghan President Hamid Karzai has spent more than $45 million from the national treasury over the last eight years to compensate civilian casualties of the U.S.-led war, although most were caused by Taliban insurgents.
Defense Policy / Programs
- National Guard (In Federal Status) and Reserve Activated as of August 26, 2014 DoD 28 Aug 2014
- Analysts: More US-China Military Cooperation Needed VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- A close encounter last week between a U.S. surveillance plane and a Chinese fighter jet shows the need for greater military cooperation and agreed upon rules of engagement between the two countries, analysts say.
- The U.S. should abide by international law and stop its close surveillance of China People's Daily 28 Aug 2014 -- On August 19 a US anti-submarine plane and a patrol aircraft flew into air space about 220 kilometers east of China's Hainan Island.
- X-47B Achieves New Set of Firsts Aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt NNS 28 Aug 2014 -- The Navy's X-47B completed its final test aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) Aug. 24 and returned to its home base at Naval Air Station Patuxent River after eight days at sea.
- Votel Takes Charge of Special Operations Command AFPS 28 Aug 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today presided over the U.S. Special Operations Command change of command ceremony in Tampa, Florida, where Army Gen. Joseph L. Votel III assumed command from Navy Adm. William H. McRaven.
- EODMU 8, VP-4 Participating in Exercise Northern Coasts NNS 28 Aug 2014 -- Sailors from Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit (EODMU) 8, based at Naval Station Rota, Spain, and Patrol Squadron (VP) 4, based at Naval Air Station Sigonella, are participating in Exercise Northern Coasts 2014 (NOCO 14), beginning Aug. 29.
- 'Total Force' Airmen keep ammo rolling for vital OEF missions AFNS 28 Aug 2014 -- Airmen assigned to the 455th Maintenance Squadron aren't just practicing total force integration during an exercise or at home, they are performing it for real in a combat zone and they are doing it as the U.S. Air Force gets smaller. They're proof that TFI works in the real world doing the real mission in a combat zone.
- AFRL's directed energy receives AF Organizational Excellence award AFNS 28 Aug 2014 -- The Air Force Research Laboratory's Directed Energy Directorate received the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award, its fifth AFOE award since 1997.
- Development Squadron 5 Receives First Unmanned Undersea Vehicle NNS 28 Aug 2014 -- Commander, Submarine Development Squadron 5 (CSDS 5), Detachment UUV, took delivery of Large Training Vehicle 38 (LTV 38), an unmanned undersea vehicle (UUV) Aug. 22.
- Marines, Army look to future of autonomous ground vehicles USMC News 28 Aug 2014 -- Distinguished military and civilian personnel visited the Savannah River Site in Aiken, South Carolina during the Autonomous Mobility Applique System Joint Capability Technology Demonstration Aug. 20.
- Searchers Seek Missing F-15C Pilot AFPS 28 Aug 2014 -- The search in Virginia for a missing 104th Fighter Wing pilot expanded today with Air Force resources.
- U.S. and Malaysian and Armed Forces Kick-Off Joint Exercise USMC News 28 Aug 2014 -- Members of the United States and Malaysian armed forces came together to officially open Malaysia – United States Amphibious Exercise 2014 during an opening dinner at Kg Tanduo, Malaysia, Aug. 26.
- Expeditionary Forces Train for Rapid Response NNS 28 Aug 2014 -- Members of Expeditionary Strike Group 2 (ESG-2), Navy Expeditionary Combat Command (NECC), and 2nd Marine Logistics Group conducted an annual, rapid-response planning and loading exercise (LOADEX) at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek, Aug. 27-28.
- Marines train for pilot recovery in jungle USMC News 28 Aug 2014 -- Marines with Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, tested their training during a tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel mission Aug. 22 at the Central Training Area, Okinawa, Japan.
- Construction of 'Anaerobic' Non-Nuclear Subs to Begin in 2017 RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- Russia will begin constructing a new generation of nonatomic submarines equipped with “anaerobic systems.”
- Black Sea Fleet to Receive 11 New Vessels by End of Year RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- The Russian Black Sea Fleet is to receive 11 new ships and service vessels, including two anti-sabotage boats, six service vessels, two diesel-electric submarines and two frigates.
- HMS Illustrious takes final bow UK MOD 28 Aug 2014 -- After a 32-year career, the last of the Royal Navy's Invincible Class aircraft carriers decommissions in Portsmouth.
- Czech Defense Ministry Unaware of Hungarian T-72 Tanks Purchase RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- The Czech Defense Ministry is unaware of any T-72 tanks being transported from Hungary into the Czech Republic.
- Iran test-fires indigenous missile system Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- The Islamic Republic has successfully test-fired indigenously designed and manufactured Talaash 3 (endeavor) missile defense system, a senior Iranian commander says.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Actual Parachuting and Striking Drill of Paratrooper Units of KPA KCNA 28 Aug 2014 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, guided the actual parachuting and striking drill of paratrooper units of the KPA.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, August 28, 2014 US Dept. of State 28 Aug 2014
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 28 August 2014 United Nations 28 Aug 2014
- Only Russian volunteers fighting with anti-Kiev forces - Donetsk Republic leader RT 28 Aug 2014 -- About 3-4,000 Russian citizens joined anti-government fighters during Kiev crackdown in Ukraine’s east, says the leader of Donetsk independent republic.
- Moscow Ridicules NATO's Images of Alleged Russian Troops in Ukraine RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- Moscow sees no sense in commenting on what NATO calls that it has satellite shots of Russian troops in Ukraine.
- NATO releases satellite imagery showing Russian combat troops inside Ukraine NATO 28 Aug 2014 -- NATO’s Allied Command Operations in Mons, Belgium released new satellite imagery that show Russian combat forces engaged in military operations inside the sovereign territory of Ukraine.
- Obama Warns Russia Over 'Ongoing Incursion' Into Ukraine RFE/RL 28 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says the "ongoing incursion" into Ukraine by Russia will only lead to additional costs for Moscow.
- Poroshenko Convenes Emergency Meeting, Says Russian Troops In Ukraine RFE/RL 28 Aug 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has convened an emergency meeting of the National Security and Defense Council after accusing Russia of sending troops into Ukraine.
- In Russia, Ukraine War Hits Home With Secret Funerals, Missing Men RFE/RL 28 Aug 2014 -- In early spring, Vladimir Putin deployed soldiers without insignia into the Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea to ensure a quick annexation of the territory.
- No Russian Military Forces in Ukraine, Russian Envoy Tells OSCE RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- Russia’s envoy to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) denied Kiev's claims that Russia has sent troops to help independence supporters in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia’s EU Envoy Says 9 Detained Paratroopers Are Only Russian Servicemen in Ukraine RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- Currently, there are only nine Russian servicemen in Ukraine, they are the paratroopers who were detained recently after accidentally crossing the border.
- Russia Forces Cross Border, Surround Strategic Ukrainian Town VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama on Thursday pointedly pinned blame for the violence roiling eastern Ukraine on Moscow, as Russian armored vehicles backed by artillery strikes reportedly surrounded a strategic border town.
- Donetsk Leader: We Have Been Preparing Counter-Offensive for a Long Time RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- After long preparations, forces of the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk republics have finally launched a counter-offensive, Donetsk People’s Republic Prime Minister Alexander Zakharchenko said Thursday.
- Donetsk Militia Claims Strongholds Taken in Southeastern Ukraine's Mariupol RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- Donetsk militia forces claimed Thursday to have taken control of checkpoints and strongholds on the outskirts of Mariupol in southeastern Ukraine.
- Ban alarmed by ‘dangerous escalation’ in Ukraine crisis; Security Council holds emergency talks UN News Centre 28 Aug 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he is alarmed by what seems to be a “dangerous escalation” in the crisis in Ukraine with reports of intensified fighting in the country south-east near the border with Russia, as the Security Council held emergency talks on the latest developments.
- NATO Not Obliged to Protect Ukraine, Not Going to Discuss Membership at Upcoming Summit RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- NATO allies do not intend to discuss the status of their relations with Ukraine or take the responsibility for the country's protection, but will announce consulting and financial aid to Ukrainian military, a high-ranking NATO official told journalists.
- Ukraine calls for military assistance from EU Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- Kiev's ambassador to the European Union has called for "large-scale" military assistance from Brussels, amid the ongoing conflict in Eastern Ukraine.
- ISIL militants set 3 Iraqi oil wells ablaze in Nineveh Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- ISIL Takfiri militants have torched at least three oil wells in Iraq’s northern province of Nineveh as Kurdish fighters continue to advance in the area.
- Iraqi Izadis abandoned on Sinjar Mountain Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- New reports indicate that hundreds or possibly thousands of members of Iraq’s Kurdish Izadi minority escaping ISIL militants remain abandoned on top of Sinjar Mountain.
- Iran to Send Troops to Iraq If IS Threatens Shiite Shrines RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- Iran is ready to send troops if the Islamic State (IS) Sunni extremist group damages the Iraqi cities of Najaf and Karbala, which are considered sacred by Shiite Muslims.
- Assad no ally in fight against ISIL: France Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- French President Francois Hollande has rejected any cooperation with the Damascus government in the fight against ISIL Takfiri militants operating inside Syria, accusing President Bashar al-Assad of being an ally of the terrorists.
- OPCW Destroys 93% of Syrian Chemical Weapons Arsenal RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has destroyed 93 percent of chemical weapons agents removed from Syria.
- Syrian Army's Air Strike Kills Over Ten Islamic State Terrorists RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- More than 10 Islamic State (IS) terrorists were killed as a result on a Syrian government air strike that also destroyed 14 armored vehicles.
- UN reports improved humanitarian access to Syria for first time in six months UN News Centre 28 Aug 2014 -- For the first time in six months, there has been some improvement recently on humanitarian access to Syria.
- Ban, Security Council deplore detention of UN peacekeepers in Golan Heights UN News Centre 28 Aug 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Security Council strongly condemned the detention of United Nations peacekeepers serving in the Golan Heights.
- UN Peacekeepers Detained in Syria VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations said 43 of its peacekeepers had been captured by an armed group on the border with Syria and Israel, and another 81 are unable to leave their positions near the border crossing.
- Yemen's President Blames Iran for Inciting Conflict VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- Yemen's president is accusing Iran of provoking current unrest in his country as Shi'ite Houthi rebels advance on the capital Sana'a.
- China, South Korea Slam Japan for Honoring War Criminals VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- China and South Korea called for Japan to reflect on its history of aggression, a day after Tokyo confirmed Prime Minister Shinzo Abe sent a message to a ceremony honoring World War II-era Japanese war criminals.
- US Seeking Stronger Ties With Cambodia VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- A senior U.S. diplomat says the country is looking to strengthen ties with Cambodia following an end to the nation's yearlong political stalemate.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|