09 August 2014 Military News
- US Officials Report Fresh Strikes in Iraq VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- The U.S. military says it carried out four more airstrikes against Islamic State militants in northern Iraq who were firing on civilians.
- Obama: Airstrikes in Iraq will continue for as long as 'necessary' Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- US President Barack Obama promises to continue airstrikes to prevent the advance of ISIL terrorists in northern Iraq where American diplomats are stationed.
- McCain says Obama's airstrikes on ISIL are meaningless Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- US President Barack Obama's authorization for limited airstrikes against ISIL targets in northern Iraq are "meaningless" and "worse than nothing," says Senator John McCain.
- Obama Says U.S. Action In Iraq 'Right Thing To Do,' Won't 'Drag' U.S. Into New War RFE/RL 09 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama has announced fresh air strikes by U.S. forces on positions of the Islamic State in northern Iraq, adding that such attacks will continue in order to protect U.S. personnel in the area and to protect refugees who have fled to the Sinjar Mountain region to avoid the fighting.
- Obama: Iraq Strikes to 'Take Some Time' VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama says the U.S. military's airstrikes in Iraq have successfully destroyed arms and equipment that Islamic State militants could have used against the Kurdish capital of Irbil.
- Statement by the President on Iraq The White House 09 Aug 2014
- Weekly Address: American Operations in Iraq The White House 09 Aug 2014
- Obama Vows to Protect Americans, Provide Humanitarian Aid in Iraq AFPS 09 Aug 2014 -- Two days after authorizing targeted U.S. airstrikes in Iraq, President Barack Obama today said that while the United States will continue to do "whatever is needed" to protect Americans in the country, he will not allow the nation to become involved in another full-blown war there.
- New U.S. Aid Drop Amid Fresh Air Strikes In Northern Iraq RFE/RL 09 Aug 2014 -- The United States has conducted its second air drop of food and water to thousands of Iraqis hiding in mountains from Islamist militants./li>
Defense Policy / Programs
- Mercy Arrives in San Diego After Participating in RIMPAC NNS 09 Aug 2014 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) arrived in its homeport Naval Base San Diego after its inaugural participation in the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise, Aug. 9.
- Hagel Urges Expanded U.S.-Indian Defense Cooperation AFPS 09 Aug 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today called for the United States and India to do more to transform their defense relationship through increased partnerships in production and technology, given the edge he said both nations have in science and innovation.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Call with UK Secretary of State for Defense Michael Fallon DoD 09 Aug 2014
- Remarks to the Observer Research Foundation - New Delhi, India DoD 09 Aug 2014
- Makin Island ARG Evacuates NOAA Researchers NNS 09 Aug 2014 -- Sailors and Marines from the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) conducted an emergent recovery of 11 researchers with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) from the Papahnaumokukea Marine National Monument Aug. 8.
- India plans to buy missile from Israel Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- India's Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has voted for a motion to purchase 262 Barak-I anti-ship missiles and spare parts from Tel Aviv, despite the country's recent vote against Israel for its human rights violations in Gaza.
- Iran armed forces countering all enemy threats: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- A senior Iranian naval commander says the country's armed forces track all the enemy's moves and will suppress any threats.
- Egypt ceasefire plan fails to meet Gazans' demands: Hamas official Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- An Egypt-brokered ceasefire plan for an end to Israel's war on Gaza has failed to meet demands of Gazans and Palestinian resistance forces, says the representative of Palestinian resistance movement Hamas in Iran.
- Gaza Fighting Resumes After Talks Founder VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- Israel reportedly said on Saturday it would not attend Egyptian-hosted negotiations for a new truce in Gaza.
- Ukraine forces surround Donetsk in east: Commander Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- A top commander of pro-Russian activists says Ukrainian forces have surrounded the city of Donetsk in the country's restive eastern region.
- In Ukraine, Separatist Commander 'Strelkov' Seems To Be Getting Frustrated RFE/RL 09 Aug 2014 -- The commander of pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine was once fond of using social media to boast about his fighters' victories -- large or small -- over Ukraine's military forces.
- Ukraine Separatists: Ready for Cease-Fire VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- Pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine say they are ready for a cease-fire with the government, amid growing gains by Ukrainian forces against the rebels.
- UN agency chief warns that northern Iraq is facing 'cultural cleansing' UN News Centre 09 Aug 2014 -- As United Nations humanitarian agencies and partners are extending aid to hundreds of thousands of families on the run in northern Iraq from armed militants, a senior UN official is calling for an immediate stop to what she termed an "emerging cultural cleansing."
- Putin To Host Armenian, Azerbaijani Presidents In Sochi RFE/RL 09 Aug 2014 -- Representatives of the Armenian and Azerbaijani governments confirmed on August 9 the presidents of the two countries will hold a three-party meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin to discuss the conflict in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- At ASEAN, China Rejects US 'Freeze' VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- China is dismissing U.S. calls for a freeze on 'provocative acts' in disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- Guinea Closes Borders in Bid to Stop Ebola Virus from Spreading VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- West African countries hardest hit by Ebola are ramping up efforts to stop the virus from spreading.
- Turkey's First Direct Presidential Election: What To Watch RFE/RL 09 Aug 2014 -- Turks go to the polls on August 10 to vote in the first direct presidential election in their country's history. Since the founding of the Republic of Turkey more than 90 years ago, the president had been chosen by parliament.
- Turkey Ready for First Direct Presidential Poll VOA 09 Aug 2014 -- Saturday was the last day of campaigning by candidates in Turkey's first directly elected presidential vote. Opinion polls say Prime Minster Recep Tayyip Erdogan is enjoying a commanding lead, but concerns have been growing over an increasingly acrimonious campaign.
- Torture report will spark violence in Mideast: CIA Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) warns that public disclosure of a Senate report on the agency's torture methods will trigger violent street protests in the Middle East, endangering US embassies and personnel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|