28 June 2014 Military News
- Mass Displacement After Pakistan Offensive VOA 28 Jun 2014 -- As Pakistani forces target Islamist militants in the country's volatile northwest, the government is attempting to accommodate hundreds of thousands of people displaced by the military operation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US reassures South Korea as it makes step toward joining international anti-personnel landmines ban VoR 28 Jun 2014 -- The United States Friday reassured South Korea that its tentative step toward joining the international ban on anti-personnel landmines did not mean it would reduce its commitment to defending South Korea. 'Let me just be clear that the announcement today in no way signals a reduction in our commitment or our ability to assist in the defense of our allies in South Korea,' said White House spokesman Josh Earnest.
- Xi Jinping stresses building strong frontier defense People's Daily 28 Jun 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping called for efforts to build a strong and solid frontier defense network for both territorial land and water at a national meeting held here on Friday.
- China calls for tougher frontier defenses Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says his country must strengthen its land and sea frontier defenses, amid territorial disputes over a series of islands with neighbors.
- 1,200 Chinese employees evacuated to Baghdad: FM spokesman People's Daily 28 Jun 2014 -- More than 1,200 employees of a Chinese company have been safely evacuated from the war-torn northern city of Samarra and moved to Iraq's capital of Baghdad, Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said Friday.
- ISIL militants flee toward region near Iran border Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Militants from the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in the eastern Iraqi province of Diyala have escaped to a region close to Iran's border, Press TV reports.
- Iraqi politicians slam Barzani's remarks on Kirkuk Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Several prominent Iraqi politicians have strongly criticized the president of Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region for saying that the oil-rich city of Kirkuk won't be handed over to the central government in Baghdad.
- Iraq army soldiers retake full control of Tikrit Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- The Iraqi army, backed by thousands of tribal gunmen and volunteer forces, has retaken full control of the northern city of Tikrit from the Takfiri militants of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
- ISIL offensive displaces 83,000 Iraqi families in Nineveh Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- The escalation of violence by the terrorists of so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has forced 83,000 Iraqi families to flee their homes in Nineveh Province, Iraqi Red Crescent Society says.
- Iraqi Army Advances On Tikrit As U.S. Drones Fly Over Baghdad RFE/RL 28 Jun 2014 -- Reports say thousands of Iraqi soldiers backed by air cover and tanks are closing in on the city of Tikrit, north of Baghdad, which was overrun by Islamist-led rebels earlier this month.
- Iraq Launches Military Offensive in Tikrit VOA 28 Jun 2014 -- The Iraqi army has launched what it calls a major offensive to retake the northern city of Tikrit from Sunni ISIL extremists.
- Russia: US Pushing for Ukraine Confrontation VOA 28 Jun 2014 -- Russia's foreign minister has accused the United States of encouraging Ukraine to challenge Moscow.
- Ukrainian troops ignore Poroshenko's statement on ceasefire - Lugansk People's Republic VoR 28 Jun 2014 -- The Ukrainian troops do not react to the statement on armistice between the conflicting parties until June 30 made by President Petr Poroshenko and act independently against the militias, Chairman of the Supreme Council of the Lugansk People's Republic, Alexey Karyakin said at a press conference on Saturday. According to him, now it is difficult to predict, what the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) and the Ukrainian law enforcers will do after June 30.
- Right Sector fighters recruited into Ukrainian army battalion - Lugansk People's Republic VoR 28 Jun 2014 -- The radical organization Right Sector fighters are recruited into the Aydar battalion of the Ukrainian National Guard destroyed by the militia with its fighters, Chairman of the Supreme Council of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) Alexey Karyakin said at a press conference on Saturday.
- Slavyansk militia reports that fighting continues despite ceasefire VoR 28 Jun 2014 -- Hostilities are under way in the Donetsk region, despite the agreement on ceasefire, a representative of the Slavyansk militia told RIA Novosti on Saturday.
- Kiev military unit in Donetsk surrenders to militia VoR 28 Jun 2014 -- Another military unit located in Donetsk has surrendered to the militia, a representative of the authorities of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic told RIA Novosti on Saturday.
- Ukraine shells hit Russia territory: Moscow Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Moscow says Ukrainian troops have fired three shells into the Russian territory, causing damage but no casualties.
- Ukrainian President Extends Truce In East RFE/RL 28 Jun 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has announced his government will extend by 72 hours a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine.
- Deeply concerned about eastern Ukraine, Ban welcomes extension of cease-fire UN News Centre 28 Jun 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the extension of a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine and, with continued deep concern about the situation there, urged all sides to honour their commitments and work within a political process.
- Bomb Blast Hits Busy Damascus Market VOA 28 Jun 2014 -- A powerful car bomb blast in the rebel-held Damascus suburb of Douma killed over a dozen people, wounding dozens of others, according to Arab language media. Opposition activists are accusing the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant of being behind the bombing.
- NSA spied on 89,138 targets last year: Report Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- The Office of the Director of National Intelligence has revealed that the US National Security Agency spied on nearly 90,000 "targets" last year.
- NSA reveals 'transparency report': agency targeted 'just' 248 Americans in 2013 VoR 28 Jun 2014 -- Friday, the NSA released its first ever report about how it uses its broad surveillance authorities called 'Statistical Transparency Report Regarding Use of National Security Authorities.' According to it, the NSA performed queries for just 248 'known or presumed US persons' in 2013, despite collecting the phone records of nearly every American, which had been earlier revealed by the Guardian based on the leaks from Edward Snowden.
- Leader: Enemies investing on civil wars in region IRNA 28 Jun 2014 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei stressed that enemies were focusing on triggering civil wars in the region.
- Leader warns of enemy plots to provoke Shia-Sunni war ISNA 28 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has warned against enemy plots to provoke sectarian conflicts among Shia and Sunni Muslims in the region to undermine the wave of Islamic Awakening.
- Leader warns of enemy plots to provoke Shia-Sunni war Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has warned against enemy plots to provoke sectarian conflicts among Shia and Sunni Muslims in the region to undermine the wave of Islamic Awakening.
- Panama Court Releases North Korean Sailors VOA 28 Jun 2014 -- A Panamanian court has acquitted the captain and two other officers of a North Korean ship of arms trafficking charges. The ship was carrying an undeclared cargo of Cuban arms as it tried to enter the Panama Canal last year.
- Thailand military rulers announce election date Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Thailand's military rulers have announced the date for elections to be held in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|