15 February 2014 Military News
- Afghan Presidential Hopefuls Debate Corruption, Peace, Women's Rights RFE/RL 15 Feb 2014 -- Afghan presidential hopefuls in a televised debate ahead of the April vote have pledged to tackle widespread corruption and hold peace talks with the Taliban, also laying out their respective views on women's rights.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Makin Island Completes Ammunition Onload NNS 15 Feb 2014 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) successfully completed an ammunition onload, Feb 14.
- USS George H.W. Bush departs for 2nd Deployment NNS 15 Feb 2014 -- USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) Carrier Strike Group (GHWB CSG) departed for its 2nd deployment Feb. 15.
- Naval Base Guam and Partners Complete Initial Cleanup, Assessment NNS 15 Feb 2014 -- The U.S. Navy, in partnership with other federal and local agencies, completed initial assessments and cleanup of the beach at Spanish steps near the grounded Japanese commercial fishing vessel Daiki Maru in outer Apra Harbor Feb. 15.
- USS Houston Returns to Pearl Harbor NNS 15 Feb 2014 -- Friends and families gathered at the submarine piers on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam to welcome home the crew of the Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Houston (SSN 713) as she returned to Pearl Harbor from a deployment to the Western Pacific Region, Feb. 14.
- Naval Base Guam Leads Unified Command NNS 15 Feb 2014 -- The U.S. Navy, in partnership with other federal and local agencies, has stood up a unified command structure to assess and mitigate potential environmental impacts due to the grounding of the Japanese commercial fishing vessel Daiki Maru in outer Apra Harbor Feb. 13.
- Iran to complete new missile system by 2016 ISNA 15 Feb 2014 -- Iran plans to complete a domestically developed missile system, which is more advanced than the Russian-made S-300 system, by March 2016, a senior Iranian commander said.
- Syrian Peace Talks Hit Dead End RFE/RL 15 Feb 2014 -- The final day of the second round of Syrian peace talks in Geneva ha been scheduled for February 15, but delegates from both sides said on February 14 that the process had reached a dead end.
- UN-Arab League envoy apologizes to Syrian people over stalemate in peace talks UN News Centre 15 Feb 2014 -- Calling an end to the latest round of United Nations-backed talks in Geneva on Syria's civil war, Lakhdar Brahimi apologized to the Syrian people on Saturday for the lack of progress on halting the bloodshed in their country, and urged Government and opposition negotiators to go back to their bases and reflect on their responsibility and "on whether they want this process to continue or not."
- Future of Deadlocked Syria Talks in Question VOA 15 Feb 2014 -- U.N. mediator Lakhdar Brahimi apologized to the Syrian people Saturday as the latest round of peace talks in Geneva between Syria's government and the opposition ended without agreement.
- Syrian rebels to get antiaircraft missiles from Saudis - report VoR 15 Feb 2014 -- Saudi Arabia, frustrated by the deadlock in the second round of Geneva 2 talks, has reportedly offered to supply the rebels with anti-aircraft missiles. Meanwhile Russia has accused the US of once again hijacking peace talks and pushing for regime change.
- Security Council welcomes resumed Sudanese peace talks, urges accord on Blue Nile, Kordofan states UN News Centre 15 Feb 2014 -- The United Nations Security Council has called on the Sudanese Government and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement–North (SPLM-N) to reach an accord on ending nearly three years of conflict in strife-torn South Kordofan and Blue Nile, as peace talks resumed in Ethiopia late last week.
- French troops will stay in CAR 'longer than planned' Iran Press TV 15 Feb 2014 -- The French Defense Ministry says the country's intervention in the Central African Republic (CAR) could take "longer than planned."
- Peacekeepers disarm Christian militants in CAR Iran Press TV 15 Feb 2014 -- International peacekeepers in the capital of the Central African Republic have started to disarm Christian militants accused of committing atrocities against the country's Muslims.
- Chinese FM expounds South China Sea policies People's Daily 15 Feb 2014 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Friday stated China's basic view and policy on the South China Sea during talks with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.
- Lebanon announces unity government after months of deadlock Iran Press TV 15 Feb 2014 -- Lebanon's Prime Minister-designate Tammam Salam has announced the formation of a compromise government after months of political deadlock.
- Ban welcomes formation of new Government in Lebanon UN News Centre 15 Feb 2014 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed Saturday's announcement of the formation of a new Government in Lebanon, and congratulated Prime Minister Tamam Salam "on this important step".
- New Government Formed in Lebanon VOA 15 Feb 2014 -- Lebanon has announced a new Cabinet that includes a wide range of political groups, breaking months of bitter infighting, mostly over Syria's civil war.
- NKorean freighter caught with undeclared weapons sails off to Cuba VoR 15 Feb 2014 -- A North Korean ship caught in July while trying to move undeclared Cuban weapons through the Panama Canal left Saturday to return to Cuba, the Foreign Ministry said.
- Russia keen to build new units in Bushehr N. plant ISNA 15 Feb 2014 -- Iranian ambassador to Russia said Moscow is willing to build new units in Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Iran stresses 'rights' in talks with Sextet Iran Press TV 15 Feb 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the next round of nuclear talks between the Islamic Republic and the six major world powers will be held with respect to Tehran's "rights and interests."
- Third of Afghan Heroin Goes to Russia – Kremlin Official RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2014 -- About a third of heroin produced in Afghanistan enters Russia, a Kremlin official said Saturday.
- Russian Proton Rocket Carrying Turkish Satellite Blasts Off From Baikonur RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2014 -- A Proton rocket carrying a Turkish satellite lifted off early Saturday in the first launch of Russia's largest rocket this year, the space agency told RIA Novosti.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|