06 February 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Feb 2014 [PDF]
- Camp Pendleton-based unit assumes command in southwest Afghanistan USMC News 06 Feb 2014 -- Marines and sailors of II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) handed over responsibility as the command element of Regional Command (Southwest) to the Marines and sailors of Marine Expeditionary Brigade – Afghanistan during a transfer of authority ceremony aboard Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan, Feb. 5.
- Afghanistan Counternarcotics Efforts Continue, Official Says AFPS 06 Feb 2014 -- The United States has made an extraordinary investment in both blood and treasure to eradicate terrorist safe havens and narcotics production in Afghanistan, the Defense Department's principal director for counternarcotics and global threats told a House Foreign Affairs Committee panel yesterday.
- Pakistan wants complete halt to US drone attacks: spokesperson IRNA 06 Feb 2014 -- Pakistan said Thursday it wants complete halt to the American drone attacks instead of decreasing the frequency.
- Pakistani Government, Taliban Hold Landmark Talks VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- The talks were to have taken place this past Tuesday but were postponed after the government sought clarification on who was on the Taliban negotiating team. Thursday's meeting, which lasted some three hours, was aimed at charting a roadmap for future peace talks to end the militants' bloody insurgency.
- Pakistan govt., Taliban militants begin secret talks Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- The first secret meeting between the representatives of the Pakistani government and Taliban negotiators has begun at an undisclosed location.
- Pakistan govt. ends first round of talks with Taliban Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- Preliminary controversial peace talks between the Pakistani government and pro-Taliban militants have ended in Islamabad.
- Pakistani Government, Taliban Open Talks VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- Government peace negotiators on Thursday opened preliminary talks with representatives of the Pakistani Taliban in an attempt to end more than a decade of violent militancy in the country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hagel Recognizes Marines, DOD Agencies for Audit Progress AFPS 06 Feb 2014 -- A 'clean audit' is the Holy Grail of U.S. military financial goals.
- USS Halyburton Assists in Rescue of Panamanian Crashed Helicopter NNS 06 Feb 2014 -- A Panamanian helicopter crashed killing one and injuring eight while working together with USS Halyburton (FFG 40) conducting operations in support of Operation Martillo in the 4th Fleet area of operations, Feb. 6.
- AF to replace aviator locator beacons AFNS 06 Feb 2014 -- The Air Force will replace thousands of unreliable aircraft personnel locator beacons across the fleet, a service official said Jan. 16, here.
- Locklear: U.S. Must Remain 'Out and About' to Succeed in Pacifics AFPS 06 Feb 2014 -- The key to succeeding in the Asia-Pacific region is to be there, Navy Adm. Samuel J. Locklear III, commander of U.S. Pacific Command, said yesterday during a media forum sponsored by the State Department.
- Secretary of the Navy Concludes Visit to Australia NNS 06 Feb 2014 -- Traveling to both Brisbane and the Australian capital of Canberra, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus met with U.S. and Australian government and military officials to reinforce the alliance between the two countries.
- Stennis is First CVN to Receive CANES NNS 06 Feb 2014 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) will be the first aircraft carrier to receive a new network infrastructure designed to improve operational efficiency while strengthening security measures and performance.
- Solid Curtain-Citadel Shield Exercise 2014 Underway for Naval District Washington NNS 06 Feb 2014 -- Preparations for the regularly scheduled Force Protection and Anti-Terrorism exercise Solid Curtain-Citadel Shield (SC/CS 14) 2014 are well underway.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise missile IRNA 06 Feb 2014 -- Further boosting Navys firepower, the 290km-range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was successfully fired from a naval warship INS Trikand in salvo mode in the Arabian Sea.
- Russia Sold $4.7Bln in Arms to India in 2013 RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2014 -- Russia exported $4.78 billion worth of arms and military equipment to India last year, a senior Russian arms industry official said Thursday.
- Russia Prepared to Modify Submarines for Indian Tender RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2014 -- Russian shipbuilders could adopt the design of submarines for an upcoming Indian tender to accommodate Brahmos missiles and an Indian-made air-independent propulsion system, the Rubin design bureau said Thursday.
- Russia to Arm Warships with New Air Defense System RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2014 -- A naval version of the Tor short-range air defense system will be installed on all Russian warships, the manufacturer, Almaz-Antey Concern, said Thursday.
- Commander: Home-made Saqar jet to fly next year IRNA 06 Feb 2014 -- Lieutenant Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) Brigadier General Alireza Barkhor announced that the new model of Irans home-made Saqar jet fighter will be flown during next Iranian year (starts March 21, 2014).
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/6/2014 The White House 06 Feb 2014
- February 6, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Feb 2014
- 6 February 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Feb 2014
- Syria: UN calls for speeding up pace of lagging chemical weapons elimination UN News Centre 06 Feb 2014 -- The United Nations today welcomed a long-sought accord to let in convoys with life-saving supplies for 500 Syrian families trapped by war in the Old City of Homs without any aid for two years, but voiced growing concern at the slow pace in ridding the country of chemical weapons, calling for swifter action.
- US increased funding to Syria militants after Geneva II Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- Insurgents fighting against the Syrian government say that the US government has increased direct funding to them after the Geneva II talks ended last week.
- UN, Syria reach deal for civilians to leave Homs Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- The United Nations and Syria have reached an agreement to allow aid into western city of Homs and secure the exit of civilians, local media reported.
- Both sides in Syria guilty of war crimes in 'systematic effort to cause civilian suffering' - UN experts UN News Centre 06 Feb 2014 -- Government and opposition forces in Syria are committing war crimes by using civilian suffering, such as blocking access to food, water and health services, as a method of war, United Nations experts said today, highlighting the "most critical" situation of a quarter of a million people under siege.
- UN Welcomes Humanitarian Agreement for Syrian City VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- The United Nations is welcoming reports from Syria that there is an agreement on a plan to allow civilians to leave some areas of the besieged city of Homs.
- French defense chief trying to keep troops in CAR Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- France seeks to renew the UN mandate for presence of its troops in the Central African Republic, despite reports that the French troops have been incapable of preventing sectarian clashes in the troubled African nation.
- UN Urges CAR to Probe Sectarian Attack VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- The U.N. envoy to the Central African Republic has condemned the killing of a suspected rebel in a vicious mob attack, and urged the government to make an 'example' of those responsible.
- UN envoy strongly condemns attack against Iraqi Foreign Ministry UN News Centre 05 Feb 2014 -- The United Nations envoy to Iraq, Nickolay Mladenov, strongly condemned the attack on the country's foreign ministry today which killed and injured a number of people.
- HRW Says Detained Iraqi Women Frequently Tortured, Abused RFE/RL 06 Feb 2014 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says Iraqi authorities subject many jailed women in the country to torture and ill-treatment.
- Yemen Houthi fighters battle Salafists near Sana'a Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- Shia Houthi fighters have engaged in overnight battles with Salafi militants near the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, with reports saying that a fragile truce has now been restored.
- US Points to Russian Role in Allegedly Leaked Ukraine Phone Call VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- The U.S. State Department is firing back at Russia for its role in the alleged leak of an apparently bugged telephone conversation, about Ukraine, between two senior American diplomats, in which they are said to make disparaging comments about the European Union.
- Russian official accuses US of fueling Ukraine crisis Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- The US government has been accused by an advisor to Russian President Vladimir Putin of funding and arming what he described as Ukrainian militants.
- US Diplomat Arrives in Ukraine for Talks VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland arrived in Ukraine Thursday for talks with President Viktor Yanukovych and with supporters of the political opposition.
- Iran, Russia discuss building 2nd unit in Bushehr NPP Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2014 -- Russia's Rosatom State Nuclear Energy Corporation says Tehran and Moscow are negotiating the construction of a second unit at Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) in southern Iran.
- S. Korea Urged to Clarify Its Ulterior Design before Whole Nation KCNA 06 Feb 2014 -- The spokesman for the Policy Department of the National Defence Commission (NDC) of the DPRK issued a statement on Thursday in view of the very disturbing grave situation in south Korea.
- North Korea Threatens to Cancel Family Reunions VOA 06 Feb 2014 -- North Korea is threatening to cancel its just-announced family reunions with the South if Seoul and Washington go ahead with upcoming joint military drills.
- China reports 11 new H7N9 human cases People's Daily 06 Feb 2014 -- Eleven Chinese people were confirmed to be infected with the H7N9 bird flu on Wednesday in four regions, with 8 in critical condition, according to local health authorities.
- US Warns of Explosives in Toothpaste Tubes Ahead of Sochi Games RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2014 -- US security officials have warned airlines flying to Winter Olympics host Russia that terrorists may use toothpaste and cosmetic tubes to carry explosives to conduct terrorist attacks on the Games.
- Russian Space Cargo Vehicle Docks with ISS RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2014 -- A Progress-M resupply craft that launched Wednesday evening from the Baikonur cosmodrome has successfully docked with the International Space Station, delivering 2 ½ tons of fuel and other supplies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|