16 December 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 16 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Australian Defence Force completes mission in Uruzgan Australian Department of Defence 16 Dec 2013 -- The Australian Defence Force mission in Uruzgan has concluded and the majority of ADF members are on their way home.
- Afghanistan's Karzai Presses for Indian Support, Investment VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has concluded a four-day visit to India, during which he encouraged New Delhi to boost investment and military support in his country. The trip comes as the Afghan leader continues to delay signing a security agreement with the United States.
- DOD Continues Central African Republic Peacekeeping Support AFPS 16 Dec 2013 -- The Defense Department sent another Air Force C-17 Globemaster III transport jet from Burundi to the Central African Republic today in support of the African Union-led International Support Mission in that beleaguered nation, Army Col. Steve Warren, a Defense Department spokesman, told reporters here.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 16 Dec 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Saad Muhammad Husayn Qahtani and Hamood Abdulla Hamood from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Navy to Christen Littoral Combat Ship Milwaukee DoD 16 Dec 2013 -- The Navy will christen its newest littoral combat ship, the future USS Milwaukee (LCS 5) in a ceremony at the Marinette Marine Corporation shipyard in Marinette, Wis., on Dec. 18 at 1:15 p.m. CST.
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2014 through October 2013 DoD 16 Dec 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2014 through October 2013.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Call with Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon DoD 16 Dec 2013
- Readout of Inaugural Video Teleconference Between Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Russian Minister of Defense Sergey Shoygu DoD 16 Dec 2013
- Royal Australian Navy Receives First Pair of 'Romeos' at Naval Air Station Jacksonville NNS 16 Dec 2013 -- Aircrew, maintainers and support personnel of Royal Australian Navy (RAN) 725 Squadron marked another milestone Dec. 12 when their first pair of MH-60R Seahawk helicopters touched down at Naval Air Station (NAS) Jacksonville, after a two-day flight from the Lockheed Martin facility in Owego, N.Y.
- Aerial networks enable joint forces communication through air, ground, sea AFNS 16 Dec 2013 -- The Air Force is an organization which values communication and innovation, and uses these tools to achieve the mission tasked to it by the nation.
- 'Hurricane Hunters' end one of calmest seasons on record AFNS 16 Dec 2013 -- Nov. 30 marked the end of hurricane season, and the 403rd Wing's 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron closed up shop at their forward operating location at the Henry E. Rohlsen Airport in St. Croix, part of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel Names New Director of DoD Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office DoD 16 Dec 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today that Maj. Gen. Jeffrey J. Snow will become the new director of the DoD Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office in January 2014. The current director, Maj. Gen. Gary S. Patton, plans to retire next spring after serving for nearly 35 years in the U.S. Army.
- Employment Guide for New LHA 6-Class Released by Navy and Marine Corps Commands NNS 16 Dec 2013 -- Navy Warfare Development Command (NWDC), in concert with the U.S. Marine Corps Capabilities Development Directorate, published an LHA 6 Amphibious Ready Group/Marine Expeditionary Unit (ARG/MEU) Employment Guide tactical memorandum (TACMEMO), now available through the Navy Doctrine Library System (NDLS), officials announced Dec. 16.
- Sailors of Philippine Sea Complete COMPTUEX NNS 16 Dec 2013 -- USS Philippine Sea (CG 58) and embarked Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 70 completed a successful Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) as part of the George H.W. Bush Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Dec. 15.
- US Navy helicopter crashes in Japan Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- A US Navy helicopter crash-landed near Tokyo, Japan on Monday injuring two crewmembers, officials said.
- Sukhoi Completes Delivery of Su-34 Fighters Under 2008 Contract RIA Novosti 16 Dec 2013 -- A batch of Su-34 fighter jets was delivered to Russia's military Monday in the final consignment under a 2008 deal with the Defense Ministry for Sukhoi aircraft maker to deliver 32 of the two-seat bombers.
- MiG-31 Flights Suspended in Russia After Crash RIA Novosti 16 Dec 2013 -- Russia's Air Force has grounded all MiG-31 Foxhound interceptor jets while investigators establish the cause of a crash of one of the planes, RIA Novosti has learned.
- Russia Confirms Tactical Missile Deployment on NATO Borders RIA Novosti 16 Dec 2013 -- Russia confirmed Monday that it has deployed tactical ballistic missiles near its borders with NATO but said the move did not violate international agreements.
- Russian missiles deployed to Baltic Sea region Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- Russia has confirmed the deployment of tactical missiles to the Baltic Sea exclave of Kaliningrad, along the borders of NATO countries, Poland and Lithuania.
- Russia to Begin Arms Shipments to Kyrgyzstan RIA Novosti 16 Dec 2013 -- Russia will begin arms shipments to Kyrgyzstan in the near future as part of a $1 billion deal signed last year to modernize the Central Asian country's military, Kyrgyzstan's president said at a news conference Monday.
- New investment in Successor submarines UK MOD 16 Dec 2013 -- The Defence Secretary has announced £79 million of investment in the next generation of Royal Navy submarines.
- Iran unveils first land-based positioning system ISNA 16 Dec 2013 -- Iran unveiled the first land-based positioning home-made system in a ceremony attended by Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan.
- Iran able to design, develop submarines: Official Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran has developed the capability to design and manufacture various types of submarines, says a local official.
- Justice minister rules out spy deal involving ex-Taiwanese officer CNA 16 Dec 2013 -- Taiwan will not accept any exchange of spies with China that would free a high-ranking Taiwanese officer convicted of spying for Beijing, Minister of Justice Lo Ying-hsueh vowed Monday, after news of negotiations on a possible deal surfaced.
- KPA Service Personnel Swear Their Loyalty to Supreme Commander KCNA 16 Dec 2013 -- Service personnel of the Korean People's Army (KPA) held a meeting at the square of the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun on Monday to vow to hold Supreme Commander Kim Jong Un in high esteem as the unitary center of unity and leadership and protect him at the cost of their lives.
- Daily Briefing by the Press Secretary, 12/16/2013 The White House 16 Dec 2013
- December 16, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 16 Dec 2013
- 16 December 2013 - Press Conference by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at United Nations Headquarters United Nations 16 Dec 2013
- Syria: UN agency voices horror at reported bomb raid that killed up to 28 children in Aleppo UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) voiced horror today at reports that as many as 28 Syrian children were killed in a bombing raid in Aleppo while the UN World Food Programme (WFP) announced plans to expand emergency food aid to over 7 million displaced Syrians in what it called "the worst humanitarian crisis … in decades."
- Number of Shia Fighters in Syria Could Rise Following Fatwa VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- Up to 5000 Shia volunteers from Iraq are currently believed to be fighting in the Syrian civil war. Analysts say that number could rise now that a leading Muslim cleric has issued a fatwa saying it is permitted for Shia from Iraq to fight in support of President Bashar al-Assad. The religious ruling by Iran-based Grand Ayatollah Kazim al-Haeri is likely to have special resonance in Iraq as the cleric is a mentor of the radical Iraqi Shia Muslim leader Muqtada al-Sadr.
- Syrian refugees to exceed 4mn by end of 2014: UN Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- The United Nations has warned that the number of Syrian refugees, who have fled the crisis in the country, will almost double over the next year to top four million.
- 'Turkey sent tons of arms into Syria' Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- Turkey has sent over 47 tons of weaponry to the foreign-sponsored militants operating inside Syria since June, according to a UN report.
- Syria army continues mop-up operations across country Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- The Syrian army is pushing ahead with its mop-up operations to clear foreign-backed militants from different areas across the country.
- Kenya Urges Calm after Alleged South Sudan Coup Attempt VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- The Kenyan government on Monday expressed concern about developments in South Sudan, where a group of soldiers said to be allied with former Vice President Riek Machar launched an attack late Sunday on army headquarters.
- South Sudan Imposes Curfew After Alleged Coup Attempt VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- South Sudanese President Salva Kiir declared a curfew in Juba, accusing soldiers allied with the former vice president of attempting a coup overnight in the capital.
- Govt. forces defeat attempted coup in South Sudan Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- The South Sudanese president says an attempted coup has been defeated, following a night of fighting in the capital, Juba.
- South Sudan: UN envoy urges calm as thousands flee violence to UN bases UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- The United Nations peacekeeping in South Sudan is deeply concerned about a new bout of fighting that has forced some 7,000 civilians – many women and children – to seek refuge at the UN base in Juba.
- France Calls for More EU Support in CAR VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- France is calling for stronger European Union support for its intervention in the Central African Republic, amid fresh violence there and waning popular support back home. France is making its case Monday at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels.
- Strife-torn Central African Republic faces looming food crisis, UN warns UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- The Central African Republic (CAR), wracked by conflict that has killed thousands of people and driven more than half a million from their homes over the past year, is now facing a looming food crisis, the United Nations warned today, calling for urgent action to provide crop seeds to farmers.
- UN chief, Security Council, call for calm after shooting on Israeli-Lebanese border UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the members of Security Council have deplored the shooting on Sunday of an Israel Defence Forces (IDF) soldier by a Lebanese soldier, and called for calm and continued restraint by all parties.
- With bold steps, 2014 could be 'moment of truth' for Middle East peace - UN envoy UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- With another release by Israel of Palestinian prisoners set for later this month, the top United Nations envoy for the Middle East urged both sides to refrain from any actions which could undermine the prospects for progress in what has been an important year for the peace process.
- DR Congo: UN boosts attack force in east after gruesome massacre of civilians UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- The United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has sent attack helicopters and manned foot patrols into the country's strife-torn North Kivu province after discovering the bodies of 21 civilians brutally slaughtered, including babies, children and women, some mutilated, others raped.
- Security Council concerned at worsening security, political divisions in Libya UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- The Security Council today voiced its grave concern at the worsening security situation and political divisions in Libya which threaten to undermine the country's democratic transition.
- China plans to launch Chang'e 5 in 2017 People's Daily 16 Dec 2013 -- China plans to launch lunar probe Chang'e-5 in 2017, according to the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense.
- Yutu gets rolling on the moon People's Daily 16 Dec 2013 -- China's first lunar rover and the lander took pictures of each other near mid-night on Sunday, marking the complete success of the country's Chang'e-3 lunar probe mission.
- NSA considers Edward Snowden amnesty Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- The US National Security Agency is offering a controversial amnesty to American whistleblower Edward J. Snowden in exchange for the confidential documents he is keeping about the super spy agency.
- Kerry calls Zarif IRNA 16 Dec 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry announced on Monday that US Secretary of State John Kerry has called his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif.
- Rafsanjani: West must abide by promises IRNA 16 Dec 2013 -- Expediency Council Chairman Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Monday that the western governments must respect the diplomatic custom to abide by undertakings in line with the Geneva agreement on November 24.
- Iran's Zarif expresses dissatisfaction with new US sanctions ISNA 16 Dec 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a phone call with his US counterpart John Kerry voiced Iran's dissatisfaction with the new US sanctions against Iran.
- Iran has never sought access to WMD: Rouhani Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the country has never sought Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) and believes possession of such arms would not serve its national interests, whatsoever.
- Geneva deal must ensure Iran N-rights: Larijani Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani says the nuclear Agreement between Tehran and the Sextet of powers must ensure the Islamic Republic's nuclear rights and lead to the removal of sanctions.
- Iran determined to finalize nuclear agreement: Zarif Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran is committed to reaching a final comprehensive agreement with the Sextet of world powers over its nuclear energy program.
- EU pledges readiness to lift anti-Iran sanctions Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2013 -- European Union says it is ready to suspend some sanctions against Iran as soon as experts check that Tehran is implementing the terms of a nuclear deal reached in Geneva.
- Indonesia Arrests 3 Terror Suspects VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- Indonesia says it has arrested three more members of a terrorist network linked to the August bombing of a Buddhist temple in Jakarta.
- Ashton, Lavrov Say Kyiv Should Have 'Free Choice' Between EU, Russia RFE/RL 16 Dec 2013 -- The European Union and Russia have both said Ukraine should have a 'free choice' when it comes to choosing whether to pursue closer ties with the West or with Moscow.
- Russia Denies Blackmailing Ukraine Over EU Deal RIA Novosti 16 Dec 2013 -- Russia has never threatened Ukraine with sanctions over a cooperation agreement with the European Union, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday.
- Ukraine Ruling Party Demands Cabinet Reshuffle VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- Ukraine's ruling party has demanded a sweeping Cabinet reorganization in a sign the leadership is seeking to placate protesters opposed to an economic pact with Russia.
- One month on, UN renews pledge to help Philippines recover from deadly typhoon UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- Just over a month since Typhoon Haiyan devastated the Philippines, the United Nations and its partners today agreed on the need to act quickly to help the affected communities rebuild their lives, as well as learn lessons from the international community's response to the disaster.
- UN, partners seek record $13 billion to bring life-saving aid to millions in 2014 UN News Centre 16 Dec 2013 -- The United Nations and its partners will need nearly $13 billion in funding to reach millions of people with life-saving aid in 2014, with half of that sought for those affected by the deepening crisis in Syria.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|