14 December 2013 Military News
- Afghan president calls on US to reframe security pact Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has urged the United States to reconsider its stance on the controversial Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) between Washington and Kabul.
- Afghan president says no longer 'trusts' US gov't Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says he no longer "trusts" the United States, blaming the US administration for saying one thing and doing another.
- Obama: US to keep 1,500 troops in Jordan Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- US President Barack Obama has told Congress that American troops stationed in Jordan will remain there until the security situation in Syria improves.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Greece Tests Russian-Made S-300 Missile System for First Time RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2013 -- Greek armed forces test-fired a Russian-made S-300 air defense system on Friday, for the first time since it was bought 14 years ago.
- Crew Escape Russian Fighter Jet Crash RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2013 -- Two Russian Air Force crew members ejected to safety when their MiG-31 interceptor crashed on Saturday in the Far Eastern Primorye region, local authorities said.
- China opposes U.S. arms sales to Taiwan People's Daily 14 Dec 2013 -- China on Friday reiterated its firm opposition to arms sales to Taiwan by the United States.
- Syria: UN human rights chief alarmed by rise in abductions, disappearances UN News Centre 13 Dec 2013 -- Syrians continue to fall victim to a callous indifference towards human life and disregard for safety, exemplified by the increasing trend of abductions and enforced disappearances, the United Nations human rights chief warned today.
- Peacefully resolving ADIZ disputes is right thing to do: Ma CNA 14 Dec 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou addressed the legal aspects of air defense identification zones (ADIZ) Saturday, telling a forum of legal scholars that the best way to resolve disputes is rational dialogue.
- Central African Republic pres. offers peace talks Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- The president of the Central African Republic (CAR) has expressed readiness to hold talks with militias in a bid to stop violence in the crisis-hit country.
- CAR Insecurity Worsens Humanitarian Crisis VOA 14 Dec 2013 -- The communal clashes that broke out in the Central African Republic just over a week ago have killed more than 600 people and displaced approximately 100,000 in a matter of days. Aid agencies say French and African troops there need to do more to protect civilians if there is to be any hope of heading off a more serious humanitarian crisis.
- Ban and Security Council condemn deadly attack on UN, Malian forces UN News Centre 14 Dec 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Security Council have strongly condemned an attack in the north-eastern Malian town of Kidal that killed two blue helmets and left several others, including members of the national armed forces, injured.
- China's Chang'e-3 probe soft-lands on moon People's Daily 14 Dec 2013 -- China's lunar probe Chang'e-3, with the country's first moon rover onboard, successfully landed on the moon on Saturday night, marking the first time that China has sent a spacecraft to soft land on the surface of an extraterrestrial body.
- Chinese Jade Rabbit rolls on to Moon's surface Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- China's unmanned spacecraft carrying Jade Rabbit robot rover has successfully landed on the Moon, joining the United States and former Soviet Union in accomplishing the feat last performed in 1976.
- Iran successfully sends second monkey into space ISNA 14 Dec 2013 -- Iranian researchers have sent and recovered an explorer into space carrying live creature with the aim of developing space researches.
- McCain In Kyiv; Four Officials Charged Over Crackdown RFE/RL 14 Dec 2013 -- U.S. Senator John McCain has arrived in Kyiv and met with opposition and religious leaders as well as with the Ukrainian foreign minister.
- Ukrainian Officials Suspected of Ordering Crackdown on Protesters Dismissed RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2013 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych has dismissed two top officials suspected of being involved in a crackdown on protesters last month, the presidential press service reported Saturday.
- EU on 'Verge of Hysteria' Over Ukraine Decision – Russian Minister RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2013 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has described the EU's reaction to the Ukrainian decision to reject an economic association agreement with the union as "bordering on hysterical."
- Ukraine President Suspends Officials over Protest Crackdown VOA 14 Dec 2013 -- In a conciliatory move toward protesters, Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych has suspended his deputy security council chief and the head of the Kyiv city administration for their suspected involvement in a violent police crackdown on demonstrators last month.
- Space Station's Orbit Raised to Ensure Safe Docking RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2013 -- The orbit of the International Space Station was raised on Friday to ensure safe docking of a Russian spacecraft early next year, said a spokesman for Russia's mission control.
- Execution may hit Sino-DPRK projects in short term: Experts People's Daily 14 Dec 2013 -- The execution of the uncle of Pyongyang's top leader may temporarily affect some cooperation projects with China, but economic ties between the neighbors will remain stable in the long run, analysts say.
- US warns N Korea against provocation after execution Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- The United States has warned North Korea against any "provocative acts" following the shock execution of its leader's uncle who was once a powerful political figure.
- 'Rassed 32 surveillance system monitoring Iran N-sites' Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic has equipped all sensitive and nuclear sites of the country with a smart surveillance system.
- Iran arrests MI6 spy ISNA 14 Dec 2013 -- Iranian security forces identified and arrested a MI6 spy in southeastern Kerman Province, said Head of Kerman Revolution Court Dadkhoda Salari.
- Iran arrests man spying for UK's MI6 Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- Iran has arrested a spy in the southeastern city of Kerman working for Britain's Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), says a local official.
- US: Extent of Snowden leaks unknown Iran Press TV 14 Dec 2013 -- Senior US government officials say American intelligence community may never know the entirety of what the former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden extracted from classified government computers before leaving the United States.
- US Convicts 'Friend' of Russian Arms Dealer Bout RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2013 -- A US-Syrian man was found guilty in New York on Friday of conspiring to illegally purchase aircraft together with convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, US federal prosecutors said.
- Egypt Constitution Vote Set for January VOA 14 Dec 2013 -- Egypt's interim President Adly Mansour announced a referendum will be held next month to ratify the country's new constitution.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|