09 July 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Jul 2013 [PDF]
- Bin Laden Probe Finds Pakistan 'Negligent And Incompetent' RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- Report that was commissioned by Pakistan says Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was able to live in the country undetected for nine years because of "negligence and incompetence."
- A leaked report assails Pakistani officials over Bin Laden affair PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- A recent leaked Pakistani government report has blasted the country's civilian and military leadership for failing to detect the presence of slain al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden for years.
- Department of Defense News Briefing with George Little from the Pentagon DoD 09 Jul 2013
- President Reviews Options for U.S. Presence in Afghanistan AFPS 09 Jul 2013 -- President Barack Obama is reviewing options from his national security team on what the possible U.S. footprint in Afghanistan will look like after 2014.
- Karzai Spokesman Suggests U.S. Withdrawal Reports 'Pressure' Tactic RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's spokesman has dismissed a report claiming U.S. President Obama is considering an expedited and complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan.
- US Considering 'Zero Option' for Afghanistan in 2014 VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- White House officials say the United States is considering removing all its troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014, but that they have many other options.
- Washington Considers Total Troop Withdrawal in Afghanistan VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- A report in a leading U.S. newspaper says the United States is considering an option for withdrawal from Afghanistan next year that would leave no American troops in the nation.
- ‘Obama considering total Afghan pullout’ PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- US President Barack Obama is considering prompt and total pullout of US-led NATO soldiers from Afghanistan after the planned 2014 withdrawal date.
- Taliban Protest Leaves Qatar Office Closed RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- The Afghan Taliban has temporarily closed its office in Qatar to protest the removal of the Taliban flag and a sign with the movement's formal name, the "Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan," on it.
- Afghan soldiers kill one US-led trooper in Kandahar PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- At least one US-led soldier has been killed and several others injured in a gun battle with Afghan troops in the troubled southern province of Kandahar.
- Afghan officials: Ex-US forces interpreter arrested PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Afghan officials have announced the arrest of former chief interpreter for the US Army Special Forces, who was linked to the mysterious murder of at least nine missing civilians.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fort Hood Shooter Trial Begins Tuesday VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- The military court-martial of Major Nidal Hasan, accused of killing 13 people at Fort Hood in November 2009, is set to begin at the central Texas army base.
- U.S. Judge Denies Guantanamo Inmate's Request To End Force-Feeding RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- A U.S. federal judge has rejected a legal move by a hunger-striking Guantanamo detainee to have his force-feeding halted.
- U.S. Army aids France with RPG-defense test data Army News 09 Jul 2013 -- The U.S. Army has transferred to France technical test data on a rocket-propelled grenade defense system that is vital to its military operations in Mali.
- USS Bonhomme Richard Arrives in Brisbane, Australia NNS 09 Jul 2013 -- The USS Bonhomme Richard and embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived in Brisbane Australia July 9, for a scheduled port visit.
- Replacing the Movement Tracking System with a joint solution Army News 09 Jul 2013 -- The Joint Capabilities Release (JCR) is the Army's next generation of mission command and situational awareness software.
- Airmen set world's record during exercise AFNS 09 Jul 2013 -- Airmen from the Dyess's 317th Airlift Group set a world's record for the largest C-130J formation during a Joint Operational Access exercise on June 19.
- Exercise Sea Breeze 2013 Begins in Ukraine NNS 09 Jul 2013 -- Exercise Sea Breeze, the largest multinational maritime exercise in the Black Sea, began July 8, as representatives from the 16 participating and observing nations gathered together for the exercise's opening ceremony.
- Defense Department to Review POW/MIA Command Operations AFPS 09 Jul 2013 -- The Defense Department has a sacred obligation to recover missing service members.
- AF firefighting aircraft repositioned AFNS 09 Jul 2013 -- The U.S. Forest Service, through the National Interagency Fire Center has directed the repositioning of military Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System aircraft from Colorado Springs, Colo., to Mesa, Ariz.
- Fort Belvoir Hospital Strives for Health Care Excellence AFPS 09 Jul 2013 -- The old adage that “if you build it, they will come” doesn’t necessarily apply to military hospitals, the commander of the new Fort Belvoir Community Hospital recognizes.
- New Russian Air Defense System to Detect Missiles at Blastoff RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Russia’s new aerospace defense system will ensure guaranteed detection of enemy ballistic and long-range cruise missiles at blastoff.
- Russian Leadership to Get Sneak Preview of New Armata Tank RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Several prototypes of the Armata, to become Russia’s main battle tank, will be privately shown to the country’s leadership during an arms expo in September.
- First 2 Russian Student Military R&D Units Begin Service RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Russia’s first two military research units made up of science students have taken up their posts.
- NATO Secretary General statement on Kosovo Security Force reaching Full Operational Capability NATO 09 Jul 2013
- The Kosovo Security Force now self-sustainable NATO 09 Jul 2013 -- Progress in Kosovo continues at a steady pace – and the Kosovo Security Force’s (KSF) full operational capability is another illustration of this.
- Libyan Armed Forces to be trained in UK UK MOD 09 Jul 2013 -- The Foreign Secretary has confirmed that up to 2,000 personnel from the Libyan Armed Forces are to be trained in the UK.
- War game to simulate Chinese surprise attack on Taiwan CNA 09 Jul 2013 -- Taiwan's military will start a five-day computer-assisted war game July 15 that will simulate an all-out Chinese invasion of Taiwan in 2017 preluded by a surprise attack.
- Seven involved in Taiwan corporal's death under investigation CNA 09 Jul 2013 -- Seven military personnel allegedly involved in the death of an army corporal have been transferred from their posts and are being investigated.
- Taiwan MND apologizes for army corporal's death, admits negligence CNA 09 Jul 2013 -- The Republic of China Army apologized for the death of an officer that occurred just a few days before he was scheduled to complete his military service.
- Daily Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 07/09/2013 The White House 09 Jul 2013
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, July 9, 2013 US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2013
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 09 July 2013 United Nations 09 Jul 2013
- Russia: Syrian Rebels Used Chemical Weapons in Aleppo VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- Russia’s U.N. ambassador says he has given the U.N. secretary-general 80 pages of documentation that shows Syrian rebels used chemical weapons.
- Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations told reporters that Syrian rebels had likely used sarin nerve gas in a deadly attack near Aleppo in March.
- At start of Islamic fasting month, Ban appeals to all parties in Syria to stop violence UN News Centre 09 Jul 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban has appealed to all parties in Syria to put down their weapons during the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.
- UN Chief Urges Syria Truce for Ramadan VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- U.N. Secretary-General is calling on Syrian forces and rebels opposed to President Bashar al-Assad to halt their fighting during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
- Syria invites UN officials to discuss claims of chemical weapons use PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- The Syrian government has invited two senior UN officials to discuss allegations of using chemical weapons.
- Foreign-backed Syrian opposition-assigned 'prime minister' resigns PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Ghassan Hitto, who had been proclaimed by the divided Syrian National Coalition as “prime minister” and tasked to form an “interim government,” has resigned.
- Press Conference on World Food Programme’s Operations in Syria, 09 July 2013 United Nations 09 Jul 2013
- "Most complex" refugee operation in the world IRIN 09 Jul 2013 -- No week is easy at Za'atari camp, which - with a population of around 120,000 - is now Jordan's fifth largest population centre.
- Lebanon: UN envoy condemns ‘cowardly’ attack in Beirut suburb UN News Centre 09 Jul 2013 -- The top United Nations envoy in Lebanon strongly condemned the bomb blast that targeted a south Beirut suburb.
- Lebanon Bomb Raises Fears of Further Sectarian Violence VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- The explosion that tore through a southern suburb of the Lebanese capital Tuesday is prompting yet more fears that Lebanon risks being dragged into the civil war raging in neighboring Syria.
- Car Bomb Hits Hezbollah Stronghold in Beirut VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- A car bomb has shaken a Beirut district seen as a stronghold of the Lebanese Shi'ite movement Hezbollah.
- Blast Hits Hizballah Stronghold In Beirut RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- A powerful explosion has hit an area of Beirut that is a stronghold of the Shi'ite militant group Hizballah.
- Israel Ready to Discuss Russia’s Peacekeeping Offer – Envoy RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Israel is ready to discuss the possible deployment of Russian peacekeepers to the disputed Golan Heights region between Syria and Israel.
- New head of UN peace-building efforts in Central African Republic arrives in country UN News Centre 09 Jul 2013 -- The new top envoy for Secretary-General Ban in the Central African Republic arrived in the troubled country’s capital, Bangui.
- The Republic of South Sudan's Independence Day US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2013
- South Sudanese Hopeful on Second Independence Day VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- The searing midday heat at Juba’s main stadium couldn't deter revelers from the dancing, singing and cheering that started at dawn to mark the second birthday of the world's youngest nation.
- In Somalia, UN official spotlights plight of refugees returning to their homeland UN News Centre 09 Jul 2013 -- The United Nations refugee chief today expressed solidarity with the Somali people during a visit to Mogadishu.
- New Japan Defense Paper Angers Neighbors VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- China and South Korea are criticizing the latest defense report released by Japan.
- Japan warns of China ‘coercive’ behavior around disputed islands PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- The Japanese government has warned that China’s “coercive” behavior in waters around the disputed islands in the East China Sea was dangerous and could increase the risk of clashes.
- Gunmen kill top army officer in southeastern Yemen: Officials PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Unknown gunmen have shot and killed a senior Yemeni army officer in the country's southeastern Hadramawt province.
- Egyptians Divided on Way Forward VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- Egypt's interim president, Adly Mansour, has announced a timetable for parliamentary and presidential elections in a bid to move the country forward.
- Saudi Arabia, UAE pledge $8 billion to Egypt after coup PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have pledged a total of $8 billion aid to Egypt, showing their support for the Egyptian army's coup against President Mohamed Morsi.
- HRW Investigates Egypt Human Rights Abuses VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- The U.S-based Human Rights Watch has launched an investigation into alleged human rights violations in Egypt during the clashes between supporters and opponents of ousted president Mohammed Morsi.
- US Encourages Muslim Brotherhood to Join Egyptian Political Transition VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- The Obama administration says it is encouraging Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood to take part in a political transition following the ouster of the country's first democratically-elected president.
- UN human rights office alarmed at sharp, violent escalation of Egypt’s political crisis UN News Centre 09 Jul 2013 -- The United Nations human rights office said it is alarmed at the sharp escalation of the political crisis in Egypt.
- Muslim Brotherhood Urges New Protests VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood has called for more protests Tuesday, a day after clashes between the military and supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi left 51 people dead.
- Egypt's Interim President Selects Caretaker PM VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- Egypt's interim President Adly Mansour has selected veteran economist and former Finance Minister Hazem el-Beblawi to be the country's interim prime minister.
- Tamarod condemns Egypt's interim charter as dictatorial PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Egypt's opposition Tamarod movement has dismissed the country's interim charter as "dictatorial," criticizing the temporary constitution for giving too many powers to president.
- Muslim Brotherhood Rejects Egypt Transition Plan VOA 09 Jul 2013 -- The Muslim Brotherhood said it wants nothing to do with a plan by Egypt's interim president to amend the constitution and hold fresh elections.
- Muslim Brotherhood Rejects Egyptian Transition Decree RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- A senior Muslim Brotherhood official has rejected a road map for a new constitution and elections issued by Egypt's interim president, Adli Mansour.
- MB officials reject elections plan PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Senior Muslim Brotherhood officials in Egypt have rejected a plan by Interim President Adli Mansour to hold new presidential elections.
- UN Chief Condemns Killings in Egypt Crisis RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the reported killings of more than 50 people at protests outside a military command post in Egypt on Monday.
- Suspected Suicide Bomber Shot Dead In Iran RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- Iranian security forces have shot dead a suspected suicide bomber.
- S Koreans visit joint industrial complex PressTV 09 Jul 2013 -- Officials and workers from South Korea have visited the jointly-run Kaesong industrial complex in North Korea.
- Japan Reports Soaring Fukushima Groundwater Radiation RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Radioactive cesium levels in one of the observation wells at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in north-east Japan have jumped up 90 times over the past 3 days.
- Russia Denies UK Notified it of ‘Magnitsky List’ Visa Ban RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2013 -- Moscow has not received any official notification from Britain that Russian officials suspected of involvement in the death in custody of a high-profile lawyer have been banned from entering the UK.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|