25 May 2013 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pakistan disputes Obama's statement on drone strikes IRNA 25 May 2013 -- Pakistan on Friday opposed U.S. drone strikes hours after President Barack Obama defended the use of controversial drone mission as self-defence against the militants.
- Pakistan slams US drone strikes as violation of its sovereignty Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Islamabad has reiterated its strong opposition to the ongoing CIA-operated deadly campaign of drone strikes inside Pakistani soil.
- Air Force Telecoms Satellite Launches in US RIA Novosti 25 May 2013 -- A Delta IV rocket successfully launched a Wideband Global SATCOM 5 satellite from Cape Canaveral on 20:27 EDT (4:27 Moscow time) Friday, media reported.
- Missiles but No Meteorites on US-Russian Agenda – Official RIA Novosti 25 May 2013 -- The United States plans to collaborate with Russia on missile issues and Afghanistan, but not planetary defense from space threats, a senior US diplomat said Saturday.
- Iran equipped with new anti-armor missiles: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad-Reza Pourdastan says the country has been equipped with new domestically-produced anti-armor missiles.
- Hagel Stresses Accountability to Army's Newest Officers AFPS 25 May 2013 -- Noting the new demands of a "shifting and complicated world," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today emphasized the need for accountability and integrity in the responsibilities awaiting the Army's newest officers in his commencement address at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y.
- Kim Jong Un Visits East Coastal Supply Base of KPA Unit KCNA 25 May 2013 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un provided field guidance to the supply base on the east coast under KPA Unit 639.
- Kim Jong Un Visits Combined Foodstuff-processing Factory under KPA Unit KCNA 25 May 2013 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un provided a field guidance to the foodstuff-processing factory under KPA Unit 534.
- Iran denies sending troops to Syria IRNA 25 May 2013 -- Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said on Saturday that Iran has never sent any military forces to Syria and has no plan to do so in the future.
- Iran has not sent, will not send troops to Syria: Vahidi Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi rejects Western allegations that Iran has sent military forces to Syria.
- Syria army seizes al-Daba'a airport north of Qusayr Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- The Syrian army has seized an airport in the strategic border town of al-Qusayr as it presses ahead to liberate the town fully from foreign-backed militants.
- Heavy Fighting Reported In Rebel-Held Syrian Town RFE/RL 25 May 2013 -- Reports say fighting in the strategic Syrian town of Qusair has intensified.
- Syrian Conflict May Destabilize Lebanon - US RIA Novosti 25 May 2013 -- The US Department of State said on Friday that the latest deadly clashes in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli "constitute a stark reminder" that the conflict in Syria threatens Lebanon's stability.
- Leadership Questions Could Hamper Syria Peace Talks VOA 25 May 2013 -- Next month's Washington - Moscow talks to end the Syrian conflict appear in doubt. The Syrian opposition, at a meeting in Istanbul, remains divided on electing new leadership and it is still unclear if the opposition will attend the talks.
- Hezbollah Chief Confirms Syria Presence VOA 25 May 2013 -- The chief of Lebanon's Hezbollah says his group will not stand by while the neighboring government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is attacked.
- Taiwan protests Philippine naval ships' presence on Spratlys shoal CNA 25 May 2013 -- Taiwan on Saturday protested the Philippines' dispatch of naval vessels to a shoal in the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, saying it would not recognize any unlawful claims.
- M23 clashes with phantom army in eastern Congo Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Congolese rebels say they have repelled a dawn offensive by the army and a group of Rwandan Hutu fighters in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- FM warns US not to interfere in Iran's internal affairs IRNA 25 May 2013 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi warned Washington against violation of its international commitments and asked US to avoid interfering in internal affairs of other countries, including Iran.
- US seeks to buy time in dealings with Iran, esp. nuclear talks: Rezaei Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Iranian presidential candidate Mohsen Rezaei says the United States is trying to buy time in its dealings with Iran, especially in the talks over Iran's nuclear energy program.
- Four Iranian presidential candidates begin campaigning Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Four out of the eight Iranian presidential candidates approved by the country's Guardian Council have officially started campaigning.
- Aref says will not dispute final vote result Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Iranian Reformist presidential candidate Mohammad-Reza Aref says he will accept any final result that comes out of the ballot box in next month's presidential election.
- Iran not involved in cyber offensives: Iranian official Iran Press TV 25 May 2013 -- Iran has rejected Western media claims that the Islamic Republic has been involved in cyber attacks against other countries, calling for the reinforcement of international law to counter cyber-warfare.
- British Police Arrest 3 New Suspects in Soldier's Killing VOA 25 May 2013 -- British police have arrested three new suspects in connection with Wednesday's murder of a British soldier in London.
- 'Black Widow' Suicide Bomber Wounds 18 in Russia VOA 25 May 2013 -- A woman suicide bomber blew herself up in southern Russia's Dagestan Saturday, wounding at least 18 people, including children and several police officers.
- Associate of Convicted Arms Dealer Bout Extradited to US RIA Novosti 25 May 2013 -- Australia extradited to the United States a man accused of working with Russian national Viktor Bout, convicted in 2011 of arms trafficking, Manhattan U.S. Attorney said Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|