01 May 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 May 2013 [PDF]
- Combined Force Makes Arrests in Helmand Province AFPS 01 May 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader and two other insurgents in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
- Afghan Schoolgirls Hospitalized After Suspected Poisoning RFE/RL 01 May 2013 -- A number of girls appear to have been poisoned at a school in the Afghan capital, Kabul.
- Afghanistan’s Peace Council official killed in Helmand Province PressTV 01 May 2013 -- A Senior Member of Afghanistan's High Peace Council , Malim Shahwali, and two of his bodyguards have been killed after an improvised explosive device hit his convoy.
- We paid a very high price in Afghanistan: UK PM PressTV 01 May 2013 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron has admitted that Britain has "paid a very high price” in Afghanistan after the Ministry of Defense confirmed new casualties in the Asian country.
- British Soldiers, Afghans Killed In Roadside Bombs RFE/RL 01 May 2013 -- Three NATO soldiers killed in the southern Afghan province of Helmand have been identified as British.
- Munitions of the future on today's battlefield Army News 01 May 2013 -- The Precision Guided Kit, is a newly-fielded munition in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan army chief asks militants to return to national fold IRNA 01 May 2013 -- Pakistan’s powerful army chief, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has announced support for the upcoming elections and dispelled rumours about any delay in the polls.
- US maintains troops in Mali backing French forces PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Robert Firman said 10 US military personnel are currently in Mali to offer “liaison support” to French and African forces and 12 more are assigned to the American Embassy.
- Osama bin Laden Gone But Not Forgotten in Pakistan VOA 01 May 2013 -- Two years ago, President Barack Obama announced the death of Osama bin Laden by a U.S. special forces team in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary Hagel’s Meeting with Colombian Minister of Defense Juan Carlos Pinzón DoD 01 May 2013
- Secretary Kerry Remarks With President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 01 May 2013
- Hagel to Make Furlough Decision Soon, Press Secretary Says AFPS 01 May 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will make a decision soon on the scope of civilian furloughs in response to sequestration spending cuts.
- Obama Considers Naming Official to Work on Moving Guantanamo Detainees VOA 01 May 2013 -- President Barack Obama is considering naming a senior diplomat to work on sending prisoners at Guantanamo Bay home or to third countries.
- Amid hunger strike, UN rights experts urge US to close down Guantánamo detention facility UN News Centre 01 May 2013 -- A group of United Nations independent human rights experts today reiterated their calls on the United States to shut down the detention centre.
- US Backs Georgia’s NATO, EU Ambitions – Kerry RIA Novosti 01 May 2013 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry said that Washington supports Georgia’s aspirations to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- Navy to Commission Amphibious Transport Dock Ship Anchorage DoD 01 May 2013
- Sentry operators keep 'eyes in the sky' AFNS 01 May 2013 -- In the quiet darkness surrounding the flightline here, the awaiting aircraft roars to life with an escalated screech, and cool air rushes to fill the newly-lit cabin.
- US, allies to hold military exercise in Persian Gulf PressTV 01 May 2013 -- The United States and over 30 of its allies, including Britain and most of the Arab kingdoms, are planning to hold a military exercise in the Persian Gulf.
- Soldiers prepare to face opposing forces in NIE 13.2 Army News 01 May 2013 -- Soldiers from 1-35th Armor are preparing to conduct decisive action operations against an adaptive opposing force during Network Integration Evaluation 13.2.
- USS Chosin Departs for Western Pacific Deployment NNS 01 May 2013 -- Sailors aboard the Hawaii-based cruiser USS Chosin departed their home port of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam April 30 for a scheduled Western Pacific deployment.
- USNS Swift Completes Aerostat and UAV Testing NNS 01 May 2013 -- High speed vessel USNS Swift completed testing of the TIF-25K Aerostat and a Puma UAV.
- MCoE to use university model Army News 01 May 2013 -- Change and innovation have been constants at Fort Benning since Congress first authorized the creation of then Camp Benning in the fall of 1918.
- Three Russian Nuke Subs to Be Recommissioned in 2013 RIA Novosti 01 May 2013 -- Three nuclear submarines of the Russian Navy currently under maintenance will be recommissioned by 2014.
- In a First, a Russian Warship Docks in Israel RIA Novosti 01 May 2013 -- Russia’s large landing ship Azov entered the Israeli port of Haifa, marking the first time a Russian warship calls at an Israeli port.
- British nukes could hamper Scots’ push for independence PressTV 01 May 2013 -- A report by the House of Commons, has called into question the aspirations of the Scottish government for an independent state free from nukes.
- Britain urges EU to make armed forces “inter-operable” PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Britain is expected to urge its European allies to make their armed forces more “inter-operable” to make up for expected declines in defence spending by the United States.
- 2,000 Israeli reservists call up for surprise drill on Lebanon border PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Some 2,000 Israeli army reservists have been called up to take part in a surprise large-scale drill on the border with Lebanon.
- Iranian Army’s Ground Forces to test new indigenous missiles: Cmdr. PressTV 01 May 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Ground Forces of Iran’s Army will test-fire new indigenous missiles in upcoming military exercises in central Iran.
- Iranian Navy’s 25th Fleet to dock at Omani port of Salaleh: Cmdr. PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the Navy’s 25th Fleet of warships will dock at Salalah port in Oman soon.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 5/1/2013 The White House 01 May 2013
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, May 1, 2013 US Dept. of State 01 May 2013
- DoD News: Contracts for May 01, 2013
- AF awards KC-46A aircrew training system contract AFNS 01 May 2013 -- The Air Force awarded a contract to FlightSafety Services Corporation on May 1, taking a major step forward in achieving the service's top acquisition priority.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 01 May 2013 United Nations 01 May 2013
- UN striving to ‘get prevention right’ UN News Centre 01 May 2013 -- While the United Nations has done much more work was needed to tackle the drivers of conflict, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said.
- Domestic Politics Limits Obama's Options on Syria VOA 01 May 2013 -- President Barack Obama says confirmation that Syria used chemical weapons would cause the United States to rethink its military options in connection with the two-year old civil war there.
- US Weighs Military Options for Syria Chemical Weapons VOA 01 May 2013 -- Pentagon planners have been putting together military options for the president to consider in dealing with Syria's chemical weapons.
- DOD Continues to Refine Options for President on Syria AFPS 01 May 2013 -- Defense Department leaders continue to work on options and refine plans to respond to the situation in Syria if called upon, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Proving Chemical Weapons Use In Syria May Not Be Easy RFE/RL 01 May 2013 -- Western powers have warned Damascus that using chemical weapons is a red line beyond which it could be necessary to intervene.
- Chemical Weapons in Syria Fit Pattern of Escalation VOA 01 May 2013 -- President Barack Obama says the United States has evidence chemical weapons were used in Syria, but more proof is needed before he would order an American response.
- Kerry to Visit Russia for Talks on Syria VOA 01 May 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry travels to Russia next week for talks with his counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, and an expected meeting with President Vladimir Putin.
- Militants carry out new chemical attack near Idlib: Syria UN envoy PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Syria’s Ambassador to the United Nations says the foreign-backed militants in the Arab country have used chemical material against civilians.
- US Weighs Arming Syrian Opposition VOA 01 May 2013 -- U.S. President Barack Obama reportedly is considering supplying weapons to the Syrian opposition.
- Britain reconsidering idea to arm Syria terrorists out of fears over Israel PressTV 01 May 2013 -- The British government is apparently backtracking on a plan to begin sending weapons to terrorists fighting the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Nasrallah: Syria won’t fall in US, Israel, Takfiri hands IRNA 01 May 2013 -- Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah delivered a televised speech in which he tackled topics related to the Israeli enemy, the Syrian crisis, and Hezbollah's fighters as well as martyrs.
- Syria friends won’t let it fall in US, allies hands: Hezbollah chief PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Hezbollah Secretary-General Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah says Syria's friends will not allow Damascus to fall into the hands of the US, Israel, and foreign-backed militants.
- Multiple bombs rock Damascus, casualties reported PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Several explosions have gone off in the Syrian capital Damascus again, causing civilian casualties.
- S. Korea Reports Progress at Kaesong Complex VOA 01 May 2013 -- South Korea says it is making progress with the North on allowing the return of its workers who remain at a suspended joint industrial zone just north of the border.
- Rights Group Suspects Nigerian Military of Covering Up Violence VOA 01 May 2013 -- Human Rights Watch says satellite analysis of the northern Nigerian town of Baga proves that thousands of homes were destroyed during a battle that killed hundreds in April.
- Somali Militants Threaten Revenge for Executions VOA 01 May 2013 -- Militant group al-Shabab has promised to retaliate for the execution of 13 suspected Islamist fighters by authorities in Somalia's Puntland region.
- Somali Piracy Diminishes, but Networks Remain a Threat VOA 01 May 2013 -- On June 3, the United States begins a capital murder trial against three alleged Somali pirates, accused of killing four Americans at sea.
- In Rwanda, UN envoy stresses need to rebuild trust among countries in Great Lakes region UN News Centre 01 May 2013 -- A senior United Nations envoy visiting Rwanda highlighted the importance of restoring trust among countries in the Great Lakes region.
- Darfur: AU-UN joint mission chief assesses security and civilian needs on first field visits UN News Centre 01 May 2013 -- The head of the joint AU-UN mission in Darfur reiterated the commitment of the UN and its partners in protecting and assisting local communities in the region.
- Secretary-General ‘deeply concerned’ by crisis gripping Iraq UN News Centre 30 Apr 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban urged all Iraqis to come together and engage in inclusive dialogue.
- Iraqi premier vows crackdown on militants amid rising violence PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has promised tough crackdown on armed militants in the Arab state amid a fresh spate of violence in the country.
- Anti-Al-Qaida Fighters Killed in Iraq Attacks VOA 01 May 2013 -- Bombings in central Iraq have killed at least 11 people, including anti-al-Qaida Sunni fighters near the former insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.
- 4 killed, 12 injured in car bomb blast in Baghdad’s Shia suburb PressTV 01 Apr 2013 -- At least four people have been killed and 12 others injured in a car bomb explosion in the Shia suburb of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Israelis, Palestinians React Cautiously to Arab League 'Land Swap' Stand VOA 01 May 2013 -- Reaction has been cautious in Israel and the Palestinian territories to the Arab League announcement that it supports the idea of using land swaps to negotiate future borders.
- Reviving the Arab Peace Initiative VOA 01 May 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is pressing ahead with his effort to restart Arab-Israeli peace negotiations through talks with key nations that drew up the decade-old Arab Peace Initiative.
- Islamic Jihad to respond to Israel’s recent attacks: Spokesman PressTV 01 May 2013 -- The Palestinian resistance movement of the Islamic Jihad says that Israel’s recent attacks against the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip will be reciprocated with the movement’s unexpected response.
- Russia urges immediate resumption of Iran-P5+1 talks PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Russia has called for an immediate resumption of the talks between Iran and the P5+1 group.
- Rafsanjani not running for president: Aide PressTV 01 May 2013 -- Iran’s former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani will not join the presidential race to succeed President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a close aide says.
- Pakistani Army Chief Disapproves of Critics VOA 01 May 2013 -- Pakistan’s military chief has issued a veiled warning following reports that army officers are upset at how authorities have treated Pervez Musharraf.
- Pakistan court bans Pervez Musharraf from elections PressTV 01 May 2013 -- A Pakistani court has banned former military ruler Pervez Musharraf from running for public office for the rest of his life.
- Election candidate, his two supported shot dead in Pakistan IRNA 01 May 2013 -- Unidentified gunmen shot dead an election candidate and his two supporters in Pakistan’s restive Balochistan province.
- Burma's Investigation of Sectarian Violence Criticized VOA 01 May 2013 -- A government-appointed commission in Burma looking into last year’s deadly sectarian fighting in western Rakhine state has recommended doubling security and assimilating Muslim minorities.
- Myanmar: UN expert calls on Government to address impunity for crimes in Rakhine UN News Centre 01 May 2013 -- A United Nations expert today stressed that much more needs to be done to end discrimination and hold perpetrators accountable for their crimes.
- Burma Violence Edges Closer to Rangoon VOA 01 May 2013 -- Burmese officials say one person was killed and another 10 injured during the latest anti-Muslim riots that continue to edge closer to the country's largest city, Rangoon.
- Bolivia and USAID US Dept. of State 01 May 2013
- Bolivia Expels USAID VOA 01 May 2013 -- Bolivian President Evo Morales says he is expelling the U.S. Agency for International Development, accusing it of interfering in his country's internal affairs.
- Venezuela Opposition to Contest Election Reuslts in Court VOA 01 May 2013 -- Venezuelan opposition candidate Henrique Capriles says his campaign will formally contest the official results of the presidential elections in a Supreme Court filing.
- On May Day, Cuba Remembers 'Best Friend' Chavez VOA 01 May 2013 -- Hundreds of thousands of Cubans filed through Havana's Revolution Square on Wednesday in a May Day parade that paid tribute to Hugo Chavez.
- Electoral Commission Criticized for Kenya Balloting Dispute VOA 01 May 2013 -- Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundary Commission has come under criticism after the Supreme Court confirmed the electoral victory of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
- Chinese Officials Accused of Holding Secret Parties VOA 01 May 2013 -- China is acknowledging some government officials have been trying to avoid a crackdown on extravagance.
- Putin Hands Out First Soviet-Style Awards RIA Novosti 01 May 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin issued five Hero of Labor awards in St. Petersburg, reviving a socialist tradition in Russia’s capitalist economy.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|