30 March 2013 Military News
- US-led airstrike kills 11, injures 8 in Afghanistan Iran Press TV 30 Mar 2013 -- At least 11 people, including two children, have been killed and eight others have been injured in an airstrike carried out by US-led forces in eastern Afghanistan, Press TV reports.
- Afghanistan's Karzai Arrives For Talks In Qatar RFE/RL 30 Mar 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has arrived in the Qatari capital Doha.
- Afghanistan, Pakistan Trade Accusations VOA 30 Mar 2013 -- Relations between neighbors Afghanistan and Pakistan have taken another downturn with each side blaming the other of hindering the already fragile peace process in Afghanistan. The tensions come at a critical time, as foreign forces prepare to leave Afghanistan in less than two years.
Defense Policy / Programs
- MEU Benefits From Regional Expertise USMC News 30 Mar 2013 -- At Sea -- The Marine Corps believes in the theory of the, "strategic corporal," which is a belief that senior Marines are not the only Marines who make decisions that could potentially affect the course of forward-deployed and at-home missions.
- Final Hull Section of Ex-Guardian Removed From Reef NNS 30 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Navy and contracted salvage personnel embarked onboard the U.S. Navy contracted crane vessel M/V Jascon 25 completed on March 30th the removal of the grounded mine countermeasures ship Ex-Guardian from the Tubbataha Reef.
- Stockdale VBSS and Coast Guard AIT Team Up to Fight Piracy NNS 30 Mar 2013 -- Members from U.S. Coast Guard Advanced Interdiction Team 2 embarked with the guided-missile destroyer USS Stockdale (DDG 106) to train the ship's visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS) team and to conduct maritime law enforcement operations.
- Navy fleet set to dock in Guatemala on friendship visit CNA 30 Mar 2013 -- The Taiwanese Navy's fleet of friendship will pay a three-day visit to Guatemala early next month to boost the friendship between the two countries.
- Taiwan commissions two new CGA ships to safeguard territorial claims CNA 30 Mar 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou on Saturday vowed to safeguard the nation's sovereignty and fishing rights as he presided over the commissioning of two new ships of the Coast Guard Administration in southern Taiwan Saturday.
- Georgia Voices Concern over Russia's Recent Military Drills RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2013 -- The Georgian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday that Tbilisi was concerned with Russia's military drills in the country's southern Black Sea region this week.
- South Korea Urges North to Stop Making Threats VOA 30 Mar 2013 -- South Korea is not sounding any alarms after North Korea's war declaration, saying it does not denote a new threat. But U.S. officials say they are taking it seriously.
- North Korea 'in state of war with South' Iran Press TV 30 Mar 2013 -- North Korea has declared it is in a "state of war" with South Korea, warning that any provocation by Seoul and Washington will trigger an all-out nuclear war.
- North Korea In 'State Of War' With South RFE/RL 30 Mar 2013 -- North Korea says it has entered a 'state of war' with South Korea.
- Moscow Calls for Restraint Amid Korean Peninsula Tensions RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2013 -- Moscow calls for restraint on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea had reportedly declared a "state of war" with South Korea, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
- Senior NATO Official Will Not Rule Out Conflict with N.Korea RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2013 -- A senior NATO official said on Friday that military conflict between the United States and North Korea was not inevitable, but that Washington and its allies are capable of deterring that outcome.
- North-South Relations Have Been Put at State of War: Special Statement of DPRK KCNA 30 Mar 2013 -- The government, political parties and organizations of the DPRK released the following special statement.
- Time Has Come to Demonstrate Might of Songun Korea: Minju Joson KCNA 30 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. let B-2A and other strategic strike means fly into the sky above south Korea for a drill for striking ground targets of the DPRK despite its repeated warnings.
- DPRK People on Highest Alert for All-out Action KCNA 30 Mar 2013 -- People in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have risen up in an all-out action in face of the U.S. and south Korean military's undisguised moves to ignite a nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula.
- DPRK Warns Future of Kaesong Industrial Zone Depends on S. Korea's Attitude KCNA 30 Mar 2013 -- The General Bureau for Central Guidance to the Development of the Special Zone released the following statement.
- Situation in the Central African Republic US Dept. of State 30 Mar 2013
- Taiwan reviews cross-strait policy after China's power transfer CNA 30 Mar 2013 -- Taiwan is reviewing its China policy, particularly on the national defense front, after the world's most populous country completed its once-in-a-decade leadership transition earlier this month.
- Mehmanparast highlights Iran's policy of stability, peace and security in region IRNA 30 Mar 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast highlighted Iran's policy of establishing stability, security and peace in the region.
- P5+1 had more realistic approach in Almaty talks: Iranian official Iran Press TV 30 Mar 2013 -- A high-ranking Iranian official says the last round of the negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 in the Kazakh city of Almaty showed that the six major world powers have taken a more realistic approach to Tehran's nuclear case.
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the Presidential Election in Kenya The White House 30 Mar 2013
- UN chief congratulates Uhuru Kenyatta on his election as President of Kenya UN News Centre 30 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today congratulated Uhuru Kenyatta on his election as President of Kenya, and urged Kenyans to remain calm following a decision by the country's top court that settled the ballot win.
- Kenya's Supreme Court Confirms Kenyatta Presidential Victory VOA 30 Mar 2013 -- Kenya's Supreme Court ruled unanimously Saturday that Uhuru Kenyatta won this month's presidential election, striking down challenges that the vote was flawed and invalid.
- Shell to Shut Down Major Pipeline in Nigeria VOA 30 Mar 2013 -- Shell Nigeria, one of the largest oil companies in the Niger Delta, is planning to shut down one of the most important pipelines in the country because of 'unprecedented' levels of oil theft this year. Observers say repairing the damaged pipeline will not fix the problem.
- Pakistani court extends bail for Musharraf, bars him from going abroad IRNA 30 Mar 2013 -- A court in Pakistan on Friday extended for three more weeks protective bail to former president, Pervez Musharraf, who faces arrest in three high profile cases.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|