17 March 2013 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Missile Defense Shift 'No Way About' Russia RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2013 -- Washington's plans to abandon a key part of a European missile defense plan strongly opposed by Russia are 'no way' linked to Moscow, The New York Times has reported citing a Pentagon spokesman.
- Carter, Japanese Counterpart Discuss Common Issues AFPS 17 Mar 2013 -- On the first stop of his weeklong trip to Asia, Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter met today with Senior Vice Defense Minister Akinori Eto at Yokota Air Base in western Tokyo.
- Stennis Carrier Strike Group Departs Dubai NNS 17 Mar 2013 -- The John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCSCSG) got underway March 17, following a four-day port visit to Jebel Ali, Dubai.
- 'Wizards' Conduct Aerial At-Sea Change of Command NNS 17 Mar 2013 -- The 'Wizards' of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133 conducted an aerial change of command ceremony over the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) March 17.
- Russia's Mediterranean Task Force to Comprise 5-6 Warships – Navy Chief RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2013 -- The Russian Navy will maintain 5-6 warships in the Mediterranean Sea as a task force to defend Russia's interests in the area, Navy Commander Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Sunday.
- New indigenous destroyer launched in Caspian Sea IRNA 17 Mar 2013 -- The Jamaran-2 destroyer was launched in the Caspian Sea waters Sunday in this northern port city in the presence of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iran launches indigenous Jamaran 2 destroyer in Caspian Sea Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- Iran launches the indigenously-manufactured Jamaran 2 destroyer in the Caspian Sea near the northern port city of Bandar Anzali in the presence of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iran Navy warns off Australian plane near Sri Lanka Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- A top Iranian naval official says Iran's 24th fleet has warned off an Australian reconnaissance plane as it approached the Sri Lankan coast.
- Iran to launch indigenous Jamaran-3 destroyer next year Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- A senior Iranian military official says Iran will launch another indigenous destroyer called Jamaran-3 next year in line with efforts to boost the country's naval capabilities.
- Iran tests border patrol drones Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says border guards have begun testing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for patrolling the country's eastern borders.
- Syria Rebels Appear to Make Big Weapons Seizure VOA 17 Mar 2013 -- Syrian rebels appear to have seized a large number of weapons from a government arms depot near the northern city of Aleppo.
- Al-Shabab fighters seize Hudur town in southern Somalia: Residents Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- Somalia's al-Shabab fighters have taken full control of the southern town of Hudur after Ethiopian troops vacated the town, residents say.
- Czech Republic Sends Military Contingent to Mali RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2013 -- The Czech Republic sent a group of 34 military servicemen to Mali to join a military operation against Islamist militants in the north of the country, Czech news agency CTK reported.
- Evacuation warning issued to South Korean islanders Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- A North Korean website close to Pyongyang has warned people residing in Southern islands and border areas to leave their residences.
- Ahmadinejad: Iran's progress serves regional security IRNA 17 Mar 2013 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday that Iran's development and progress serve the security of the Caspian Sea region.
- Iran to try 18 over nuclear assassinations Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- Tehran Prosecutor Abbas Ja'fari Dowlatabadi says 18 people will be tried over their involvement in the assassination of the country's nuclear scientists.
- FM spokesman: Various methods devised to foil banking sanctions IRNA 16 Mar 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said various methods have been devised to foil sanctions against Iran's banking.
- New China Leader Seeks 'Renaissance' RFE/RL 17 Mar 2013 -- China's new President Xi Jinping has pledged his leadership will work for a 'great renaissance of the Chinese nation" and the "great cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics."
- China's New President Vows to Deliver 'Chinese Dream' RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2013 -- China's newly elected President Xi Jinping pledged on Sunday to steer the country along the Chinese path of development and take energetic efforts to deliver the 'Chinese dream' to the nation of over 1 billion.
- Icons Of The Iraq War: Ahmed Chalabi And The Case For War RFE/RL 17 Mar 2013 -- the reason given by President George W. Bush's administration for the invasion -- never materialized. And it was Chalabi, and his Iraqi National Congress (INC), that U.S. officials blamed as the source of false information on Iraq's alleged weapons programs.
- US policy Kafkaesque, Orwellian: Former intelligence official Iran Press TV 17 Mar 2013 -- A former American intelligence official has warned against the political maneuvering of successive US administrations for manipulating classified information to tighten their grip on the executive power.
- Britain's MI6 Paid $136,000 to Poisoned Ex-Russian Spy RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2013 -- Britain's secret intelligence service MI6 paid at least 90,000 pounds ($136,000) to former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko, who died after being poisoned in London in 2006, The Sunday Times has reported.
- Pakistan Government Survives, Makes History RFE/RL 17 Mar 2013 -- Pakistan's civilian government has become the first government in Pakistani history to fully complete its five-year term.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|