07 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 07 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- Combined Force Makes Arrests After Firefight With Insurgents AFPS 07 Mar 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Haqqani network facilitator and detained a wounded insurgent after a firefight in the Sayyid Karam district of Afghanistan’s Paktia province.
- Afghan air force conducts air assault with Afghan special ops AFNS 07 Mar 2013 -- The Afghan air force's 379th Rotary Wing Squadron coordinated its first air assault mission with the Afghan National Army Special Operations Command Feb. 20.
- First unit readies for Afghanistan with new network Army News 07 Mar 2013 -- When they deploy to Afghanistan this summer to assist in the drawdown of U.S. forces, the Soldiers of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division will have a new edge.
- Kandahar RPAT retrogrades first Stryker combat vehicle Army News 07 Mar 2013 -- Army Field Support Battalion Kandahar's Redistribution Property Assistance Team yard at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan retrogrades its first Stryker combat vehicles for return to the U.S.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Commander Reaffirms U.S. Commitment to South Korea AFPS 07 Mar 2013 -- The top U.S. and United Nations commander in Korea reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to South Korea’s defense and urged North Korea to cease provocative actions.
- KCNA Commentary on US-ROK Drills KCNA 07 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. and the south Koreans are staging Foal Eagle joint military exercises.
- Rodong Sinmun on U.S.-South Korea Joint Military Drills KCNA 07 Mar 2013 -- The on-going large-scale joint military drills kicked off by the U.S. and the south Koreans to ignite another Korean War.
- US squandered USD8 billion in Iraq: Report PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- A recent report by the Office of the Special Inspector General for Iraq Construction has revealed that Washington has wasted at least USD8 billion in rebuilding Iraq.
- US military funded, oversaw detention and torture sites during Iraq invasion PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- The US military used veterans of its “dirty wars” in Latin America to set up secret detention and torture centers in Iraq and overseeing ‘some of the worst acts of torture’ during the US-led invasion of the country.
- Iraq DU clean-up to cost USD 30mn: Report PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- A report says the clean-up of depleted uranium contamination across Iraq, which has been spread by the US military during the invasion and occupation of the country, will cost at least USD 30 million.
- Africom Commander Outlines Diverse Challenges Ahead AFPS 07 Mar 2013 -- Somalia and Mali represent different stages of the challenges for U.S. Africa Command, Army Gen. Carter F. Ham told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
- Budget Cuts Ground US Military's Precision Flying Teams VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- U.S. military demonstration flight teams, like the Air Force's "Thunderbirds" and the Navy's "Blue Angels," are facing tough decisions under the federal spending cuts known as sequestration.
- US navy ship arrives in Pakistan for exercises IRNA 07 Mar 2013 -- An American navy ship has arrived in Pakistan to take part in the ongoing military exercises in Karachi, the US embassy in Islamabad said.
- Bremerton Visits Yokosuka during Western Pacific Deployment NNS 07 Mar 2013 -- The Los Angeles class, fast attack submarine USS Bremerton (SSN 698) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka Mar. 8 for a visit as part of its deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Eager Hawk: MAG-14 exercises expeditionary skills USMC News 07 Mar 2013 -- Marine Aircraft Group 14 deployed approximately 120 personnel to Marine Corps Auxiliary Landing Field Bogue Friday, in support of Exercise Eager Hawk.
- U.S. Army Africa command post Soldiers train with South African Forces Army News 07 Mar 2013 -- Soldiers of U.S. Army Africa Contingency Command Post hosted a familiarization visit with six South African National Defense Force soldiers in preparation for Shared Accord 13.
- Combat Ops Space Cell: Defending critical satellite links AFNS 07 Mar 2013 -- The mission to defend and protect the operability of that satellite rests at the Combat Operations Division's Space Cell.
- Cyber Command, DOD Work to Understand Cyber Battlespace AFPS 07 Mar 2013 -- Experts in the public and private sectors have been working to make the inherently collaborative, adaptable environment a suitable place for military command and control.
- Transcom Works With Partners to Defend Against Cyberattacks AFPS 07 Mar 2013 -- As the target of more cyberattacks than any other combatant command, U.S. Transportation Command is taking concrete steps to reduce vulnerabilities and ensure the security of networks.
- Monitor: After the Fight NNS 07 Mar 2013 -- The Navy will honor Monitor Sailors March 8 with a graveside interment ceremony at Arlington National Ceremony for the remains of two unknown Sailors recovered from the USS Monitor shipwreck.
- Women Should Serve Family Says Russia's Only Female General RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2013 -- Women should not replace the thousands of men dodging military service in Russia’s Armed Forces, but should bring up children instead, Russia’s sole female army General Yelena Knyazeva said.
- Statement by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the joint press point with the President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres NATO 07 Mar 2013
- HMS Edinburgh Visits Naval Station Mayport NNS 07 Mar 2013 -- The Royal Navy destroyer HMS Edinburgh arrived at Naval Station Mayport, March 6 for a scheduled port visit.
- Estonia Retires Last Soviet-Era Radars RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2013 -- Estonia’s Air Defense Forces have dismantled their last obsolete Soviet-made radars, the General Staff of the country’s armed forces said.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Island Defence Detachments of KPA KCNA 07 Mar 2013 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Marshal Kim Jong Un, inspected again the Jangjae Islet Defence Detachment and Mu Islet Hero Defence Detachment.
- Iran 24th fleet heading for Malacca Strait after China stop PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the 24th fleet of the country’s Navy is leaving China's port city of Zhangjiagang for the Strait of Malacca.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 3/7/2013 The White House 07 Mar 2013
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, March 7, 2013 US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2013
- DoD News: Contracts for March 07, 2013
- Russian Airliner Makes Safe Emergency Landing RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2013 -- A Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 airliner made an emergency landing shortly after takeoff from Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport due to an undercarriage door problem.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 07 March 2013 United Nations 07 Mar 2013
- Pressure Mounts for Release of UN Peacekeepers in Syria VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- A Syrian opposition spokesman said that 21 United Nations peacekeepers being held by Syrian rebels soon will be freed.
- Philippines calls on militants in Syria to release UN peacekeepers PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Manila has demanded the immediate release of 21 Filipino UN peacekeepers held hostage by foreign-sponsored militants fighting against the Syrian government.
- Russia Condemns Seizure of UN Peacekeepers in Golan Heights RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2013 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov has condemned the seizure of UN peacekeepers by Syrian militants in the Golan Heights ceasefire zone.
- German foreign minister warns against arming Syria militants PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Germany's foreign minister has warned against sending arms to the militants in Syria, saying such a measure would broaden the conflict in the Arab country into the whole region.
- Arab League openly approves arming militants in Syria PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- The Arab League has officially given the green light for the offering of military support to the foreign-backed militants fighting against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- 'Free Syrian Army' asks West to step up arms supply PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- The so-called Free Syrian Army’s chief of staff Salim Idris has issued a request for more arms and ammunition from the Western countries.
- Syria Spillover Worries Iraqi Officials VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The deepening sectarian conflict in Syria is aggravating an already tense sectarian divide in neighboring Iraq.
- Korean Armistice Agreement Will No Longer Exist: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 07 Mar 2013 -- A statement released by a spokesman for the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army declared an important measure for totally scrapping the Korean Armistice Agreement from March 11.
- Second Korean War Is Unavoidable: DPRK FM Spokesman KCNA 07 Mar 2013 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry issued the following statement.
- Pyongyang Army-People Rally Supports Statement of Spokesman for KPA Supreme Command KCNA 07 Mar 2013 -- A Pyongyang army-people rally took place at Kim Il Sung Square to support the statement of a spokesman for the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army.
- Pentagon Warns North Korea Against Further Provocations VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The Pentagon is warning North Korea to stop its provocative actions after Pyongyang threatened a preemptive nuclear strike against the United States.
- N. Korea Threatens 'Pre-Emptive Nuclear Attack' VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- For the first time, North Korea is threatening to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike.
- North Korea vows ‘preemptive’ nuclear strike against US PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- North Korea has vowed to launch a ‘preemptive’ nuclear strike against the US to defend itself in the event that Washington ignites a nuclear war.
- N. Korea Threatens Nuclear Response to New UN Sanctions RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2013 -- North Korea warned it would launch a preemptive nuclear strike against potential aggressors as the UN Security Council prepares to impose a new set of sanctions on the “rogue” nuclear state.
- French Defense Minister Visits Troops in Mali VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- France's defense minister has made a surprise visit to the mountains of northeastern Mali, where French troops are battling Islamist militants.
- French Troops to Begin Withdrawal From Mali in April VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- French President Francois Hollande said that French troops will begin pulling out of Mali in April.
- Nigeria President Rules Out Islamist Militant Amnesty VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan said he was not ready to offer an amnesty to members of Islamist militant sect Boko Haram.
- Thousands of people in danger in DR Congo as clashes continue in Kitchanga – UN UN News Centre 07 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations warned that tens of thousands of people in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are in danger as clashes continue.
- UNHCR Appeals For More Funding for Displaced in D-R-C VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations Refugee Agency, UNHCR, is appealing for an additional 69.6-million dollars.
- Obama to demand Israel withdraw from West Bank PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama is going to demand a timetable for an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied West Bank during his visit to Israel later this month.
- Taiwan has important role in Diaoyutai Islands row CNA 07 Mar 2013 -- President Ma said that Taiwan has an important role to play in the territorial dispute over the Diaoyutai Islands.
- China's new leader to continue current Taiwan policy: Ma CNA 07 Mar 2013 -- President Ma said that China will continue its current policy towards Taiwan under its new leadership.
- Russia Says Chechen Rebel Leader Killed RFE/RL 07 Mar 2013 -- Russian forces have reportedly killed the leader of one of the rebel Chechen groups and two other militants.
- Prime Minister Says Serbs Lied To That 'Kosovo Is Ours' RFE/RL 07 Mar 2013 -- Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dacic says Serbs were lied to when they were told that "Kosovo is ours."
- US Applauds UN North Korea Sanctions VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The approval of new U.N. sanctions is being welcomed by the Obama administration’s point man on North Korea, Glyn Davies.
- Security Council tightens sanctions on DPR Korea in wake of latest nuclear blast UN News Centre 07 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations Security Council tightened sanctions on the DPRK ’s trade and banking, as well as travel by targeted officials.
- UN Imposes Tough New Sanctions on DPRK VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The U.N. Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution imposing tough new sanctions on North Korea in response to last month’s forbidden nuclear test.
- UN Security Council Slaps New Sanctions on N. Korea RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2013 -- The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday outlining new sanctions against North Korea in the wake of the recent nuclear test carried out by Pyongyang.
- Washington, Beijing set to expand UN sanctions on Pyongyang PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Washington and Beijing plan to tighten the United Nations’ sanctions on North Korea, in response to the East Asian country’s latest nuclear test.
- Report: N. Korean Prison Camp Perimeter Spills into Villages VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- A human rights group says new satellite imagery indicates North Korea is blurring the lines between its prison camps and the surrounding population.
- China reiterates opposition to unilateral sanctions on Iran PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- China's deputy permanent representative to the United Nations has reiterated Beijing’s opposition to the US-led unilateral sanctions against Iran over its nuclear energy program.
- FBI Committed to Safely Bring Home Ex-Agent Missing in Iran VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation says it remains committed to safely bringing home a former agent who went missing in Iran six years ago this week.
- Obama refrains from addressing Israel’s Knesset PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama will reportedly not speak in the Knesset during his upcoming trip to Israel.
- Ahmadinejad Under Fire For Making Chavez A Messiah RFE/RL 07 Mar 2013 -- Mahmud Ahmadinejad's eulogy to Hugo Chavez might have come from the heart, but it has drawn the Iranian president criticism at home.
- Venezuela-US Relations Unlikely to Change After Chavez VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is raising questions about what happens next in Venezuela, both internally and with its relations to other nations, including the United States.
- Six killed, 18 injured in Karachi violence PressTV 07 Mar 2013-- At least six people have been killed and 18 others injured in the latest violent attacks in the Pakistani port city of Karachi.
- Pakistan Prepares for Historic National Elections VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Pakistan's Election Commission says it is taking all measures necessary to secure the safety at 80,000 polling stations and ensure free and fair elections in the upcoming national vote.
- U.S. Assistance to Yemen US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2013
- Warning, Call for Aid for Yemen VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Officials from nearly 40 countries and organizations meeting on the situation in Yemen have called on donors to deliver long-promised aid, and warned various Yemeni and outside groups not to try to disrupt the country’s transition process.
- UN urges ‘Friends of Yemen’ to continue support for transition and humanitarian crisis UN News Centre 07 Mar 2013 -- The international community has a responsibility to assist the people and the Government of Yemen in its democratic transition.
- Fresh clashes erupt between police, protesters in Egypt’s Port Said PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Fresh clashes have broken out between riot police and protesters in the Egyptian city of Port Said amid the ongoing political turmoil in the country.
- Egypt Braces for More Unrest Over Football Riot Case VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Egyptians are bracing for further unrest ahead Saturday's expected sentencing of more than 50 men in last year's deadly Port Said stadium riot.
- ‘Egypt votes dates cancelled’ PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Egypt's Supreme Election Committee has canceled dates for the upcoming parliamentary votes, after a court in the North African country suspended elections, state television says.
- Morsi Will Respect Decision To Suspend Elections RFE/RL 07 Mar 2013 -- Egyptian President Muhammad Morsi’s office says it will respect a court decision suspending parliamentary elections scheduled to begin next month.
- Saudi-backed regime forces attack Bahraini protesters PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Bahraini security forces have attacked demonstrators who were protesting against the government’s harsh crackdown on their peaceful movement in the Persian Gulf kingdom.
- Kenya ‘Hopeful’ to Release Final Presidential Results Friday VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- An official of Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission has expressed hope that the group will announce the final results of the presidential election Friday.
- Kenyan Election Chairman Rejects Tampering Claim VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Kenya's election chief is rejecting an allegation that results are being tampered with from Monday's national vote.
- Odinga Coalition Calls for Kenya Vote Count to be Stopped VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- In a new twist in Kenya’s vote-counting saga, the party of Prime Minister Raila Odinga, a presidential candidate, says it has evidence of vote rigging and has called for the tally to be halted.
- Kenya presidential election plagued by fraud: Vice president PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- Kenya’s vice president has dismissed the incoming presidential election results in the African country, saying that there is evidence showing vote-rigging.
- South Sudan Opposition Feuds as Ruling SPLM Meets VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- The secretary general of the main opposition party in South Sudan, the SPLM-DC, has resigned, accusing the exiled chairman of his party of stoking divisions.
- Citing Fraud, South Sudan State Stops Aid VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Only the neediest residents of Central Equatoria state in South Sudan will be able to apply for financial assistance from the state, after authorities said they believe many of the requests for help they have received are bogus.
- Amid recent violence, UN Peacebuilding Commission appeals for dialogue in Guinea UN News Centre 07 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) has voiced concern about the recent violence in Guinea and called on all parties to exercise restraint and engage in dialogue.
- Libya: UN calls for peaceful resolution of disputes UN News Centre 07 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations envoy in Libya has condemned an attack against the President of the General National Congress.
- Magnitsky Employer Charged With Illegally Buying Gazprom Shares RFE/RL 07 Mar 2013 -- Russia's Interior Ministry says Hermitage Capital Management CEO Bill Browder has been charged in absentia with illegally purchasing shares of Russia's energy giant, Gazprom.
- Italy's Former PM Berlusconi Given 1-Year Jail Sentence VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Italy’s former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been sentenced to one year in jail over a leaked wiretap.
- Cardinals Debate Qualifications for Pope VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, who resigned as pontiff last month, has pledged his “unconditional reverence and obedience” to whomever succeeds him to guide the 1.2-billion-member Roman Catholic Church.
- Cardinals Continue Preparations for Electing a New Pope VOA 07 Mar 2013 -- Roman Catholic cardinals met in Vatican city for a fourth day Thursday to plan the conclave to elect a successor to Pope Benedict XVI.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|